Author Topic: Nuke/Flare Animation Glitch  (Read 2102 times)

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
Nuke/Flare Animation Glitch
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:21:05 PM »
Found this when I was trying to make a new ninjutsu technique for my hack:

The glitch requires at least four enemies to trigger, I've used Nuke on the three BlackLiz formation in the underworld and that didn't trigger it. My only guess is the glitched animation somehow overflows and corrupts the player's location information. One thing I didn't show; you can get pulled back into battle indefinitely if you keep ending them with Nuke, I would have shown that but wanted to keep the movie short enough to put it on YouTube. If you're curious what the dummy item is, it's a silver apple.

I should try this on some maps other than the overworld and underworld.

Edit: This glitch is really fun on the moon. After battle you'll be in the same place you started, but spriteless, use a Cabin to get your sprite back. You can use the Lunar Whale to return to Earth (Open and close the menu to correct the all-black palette) and it'll be carrying the hovercraft. Land and Cecil will still be carrying the hovercraft, but if you get in the Enterprise you can put it down like normal. Enter any location and you'll spin instead of walk. Dialogue boxes are displayed behind the other background layers and auto-scroll.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:41:42 PM by Dragonsbrethren »

Phoenix

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
    • Phoenix Hacks
Re: Nuke/Flare Animation Glitch
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 05:40:08 AM »
That's some glitch. It must really mess with something to have all those effects. I'll guess we'll all stay away from multi-targeted Nuke for a while, eh?  :banonsmash:

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:32:33 PM »
When I was making my HT I discovered this, I wanted to make Nuke much more expensive but be able to select all monsters.  It was quite odd, maybe there is a way to fix it? 

The crystal you use on Zeromus does the same thing--obviously since its Nuke/Flare with a blue palette. 

Deathlike2

• I'm looking at you, bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »
I guess that solves the lame monster MegaNuke/Mega Flare that was created instead.

Although, that's overpowered!  :wink:
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack Download Latest: v1.48

Video Demos: #1 #2 #3

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 03:33:21 AM »
I haven't compared them side-by-side but Mega Flare's animation is pretty much just Flare's animation without the "fusion" animation in the beginning. The Bahamut summon's Mega Flare's animation can't be displayed on the party, it always appears at the same place on the screen - I use that one colored green for Ultima in my hack since no enemies cast Ultima anyway.

Has anyone looked into the animation sequences at all? I'm curious if the ones used by commands or the magic casting ones can be given to spells, I know all those graphics are stored in with the normal magic graphics. I was trying to make an animation for Summon and settled on Dispel's since it's been cut from my hack; I really wanted to use the same spinning orb animation Rydia's summon sequence uses though.

I also wanted to try making a spell version of Cecil's Darkness but those plans have changed, I reworked that skill into something very different and much more interesting.

riversmccown

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »
So I dug up this old thread about a week ago and posited that it could have some interesting uses. For those of you that don't know, the mimic glitch actually does allow you to multi-target spells that are normally single-target only. People who are better than me about diving into code/glitches (the_roth, neerrm and myself086) in the speedrunning community have dug in and found some buggy things with this glitch. Most of them aren't RTA-viable yet because they rely on the Nuke animation, which we've been experimenting with in the form of putting Crystal into the inventory. The main finding is that by doing this glitch in places other than the overworld, you get the Dummy item, draw the fight, and then can deal with some glitched-out rooms. The video I have linked below involves finding Kainazzo in the Old Waterway, then having the airship immediately jump from the end of the Kainazzo cutscenes to the Airship underworld cutscene:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/214119426?t=01h57m02s

You can see that the backgrounded text boxes scroll slowly, as if they're part of the opening scene. Saving and resetting underworld allows early Dwarf Castle access without ever setting foot in Baron Castle, Toroia, or Tower of Zot.

Anyway, I know most people here aren't interested in speedrunning, but if you're designing hacks and switching spell target data, keep in mind that some extremely wacky things can happen.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »
There is no one better than speedrunners to ask about how to fix these oversights. Do you have any thoughts on how to avoid these circumstances from occurring? As you noted part of a hacker/modder's job should be to patch up the leaky portions of the code which allow for these aberrations.

riversmccown

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:16:30 PM »
It's a 1.0-only trick, so as long as you build off 1.1 you'll be fine as far as mimic tricks. This is more of a general "please do not try to put too many sprites on the screen with your spell designs" warning.