Author Topic: New patch: Color Wheel tweak  (Read 502 times)

Dev J

• Ymir
    • View Profile
Re: New patch: Color Wheel tweak
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 01:10:33 PM »
Thanks so much for this improvement. It should've been something the game designers did originally, and now all these years later, it's finally there thanks to you. By the way, I was wondering if you could use your considerable experience with the mechanics of this game to make a patch(es) in which Rage (and maybe Dance) could be made to be totally random. The only issue would be that when you want to choose a specific rage, you can't do it, unless you can find a way to have the option to choose between random & specific every battle. It would probably require one of the rages to be replaced with "Random". It's probably too complex to be realistic.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:33:05 PM by Dev J »

13375K31C43R

• Sand Worm
    • View Profile
    • Leet Sketcher's Final Fantasy III Patches
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 02:42:08 PM »
First of all, you're welcome, and thanks for the feedback. :happy: :cookie:

Second, if you're going to suggest a new patch idea, I'd appreciate you PMing me instead of adding to a post such as this with something that is :offtopic:

That said, third...it might be doable, but there would be a lot of complexity. I imagine a possible implementation would be that the "Random" option is activated by pressing Up, similar to equipment in the Item menu or Espers in the Magic menu. So that'll require some changes to the menu-building code to make that work, but it'll also require a value for the Rage ID to cohere to "Random" with a separate protocol to replace it with a random Rage from the ones that have been learned.

Some complications might arise with this approach, however, given how many patches there are out there that affect the Rage menu, not to mention how little free space there is left. One patch in particular that worries me is the one that adds Pugs, the 256th Rage, to the list of options, and that'll mean there's nothing left for Random. The only alternative would be to try allocating a place in RAM specifically for a Random rage.

The other thing is, I'm pretty busy lately, so you probably won't see this anytime soon, but I like the idea and I'll keep it in mind.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

Dev J

• Ymir
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 02:59:21 PM »
Yeah it's kind of an idealistic thing, like your color wheel concept: something that should've been put in the original game, but wasn't. To have all those rages, yet not have a random option, was an easy one the developers missed. I think this probably won't get done, since it's such an obvious concept that after all these years no one has even attempted to patch in (to my knowledge.) That tells me it's harder than it sounds. It probably wouldn't work with my set-up anyway, since I use the Relocalization Project patch, which not only changes the names to FFVI names, but alphabetizes them as well. Any Rage Randomizer patch would probably be limited to the stock, unpatched FF3 rom, which would render it almost useless to hardcore patchers & editors. Glad you like the idea though. Anyone who can make an amazing change like the color wheel patch is surely the man to tackle such a complex project in the future.

13375K31C43R

• Sand Worm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 08:44:03 PM »
If Square had included a random option for Rage, I personally would not use it because some Rages are better than others. I don't want him to randomly choose Guard or Leafer or some other wimpy-ass Rage, or even worse, Intangir. The Vanish status is OK, but Gau might cast Pep Up which would be bad.

My go-to Rage combination is to use Bomb or Vaporite to grant Gau flight as well as the very powerful (early on, at least) Blaze move, and then use Rages like Templar or SrBehemoth because they have super-powerful Fire spells plus Safe status. For flight, Dark Side is also a good one to have because of Ice 2.

I do like my Color Wheel patch also, and the other thing I think Square should have done is to not let skin colour changing statuses like Poison and Zombie negate outline colour effects from the other statuses.

:edit:
Actually, SrBehemoth doesn't have Safe status. My bad. :isuck:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:57:27 PM by 13375K31C43R »
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 11:41:01 PM »
Yay, the board is working again. Also lost my post the first time I was writing this up. Anyway.

I've been trying to read through the assembly file of this patch, and it's kind of hard to follow. I've added 3 status outlines for a little project I'm working on, and want to implement this patch into it. Unfortunately, in its current form that won't be possible. But I'm wondering how much more work it would take to get it working with 9 statuses instead of 6.

Mainly, I'm wondering what the premise of this patch is so I can (try to) implement it myself.

119 bugs fixed and counting.

13375K31C43R

• Sand Worm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 12:03:14 AM »
Mainly, I'm wondering what the premise of this patch is so I can (try to) implement it myself.

There are six statuses that have the effect of making your party members' outline "pulse" in different colours. There's a guy in the Classroom that explains it to you: Rflect is Blue, Safe is Yellow, Shell is Green, Haste is Red, Slow is White, and Stop is Pink. Those statuses are listed in order of priority in the event that a party member has more than one of those statuses; therefore, a character who has Rflect, Safe and Haste statuses will have their outline glow Blue, but not Yellow or Red. This patch makes the colours pulse in a cycle, so in other words that character will glow Blue, then Yellow, then Red, then Blue again etc.

But I'm wondering how much more work it would take to get it working with 9 statuses instead of 6.

My patch allocates four new bytes of RAM in order to work (one per party member slot). You'll have to allocate four more.