Author Topic: New Project  (Read 125 times)

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
New Project
« on: August 11, 2017, 01:51:22 AM »
Hey guys, lets make a new project for FF5!

Its been around an year since I have coded something for FF5, so my hands kind of itching :)
If you have in mind an idea - please share and lets discuss it to form a new project.

Project specification:
- it should not be a hack, although I'm fairly good with the assembly;
- it will be a separate program for Windows, build from the scratch (so we own all the rights)
- it can be a tool, an editor, viewer, ...

So if you have something in mind - bring it on! :)

Jorgur

• View Profile
Re: New Project
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 08:07:00 AM »
I know I've said this before, but how about making the Viewer into an Editor?

samurai goroh

• FF5 Hacker
    • View Profile
    • My page
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
I was thinking the same as Jorgur, why not creating an ultimate tool with all the info we have now?!
I had the intention of learning C# and import mine, but never got around it >.<

IIRC the viewer still misses a couple of options that my tool does have, like:
- Base stats table (HP, MP, Exp)
- Shop info
I'm the best in the universe! Just remember! [F-zero X]

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 02:43:01 AM »
Lets say we convert the Viewer into editor. What benefit we will get from it (compared with existing ones)? Personally I don't want to create 'yet another editor'. If we will do new editor it must have more options, to be easier to use, ...

Anyway IF you have a clear vision of how a new editor will look and what new features it will have, lets do it. Please share in details your vision, the layout of future editor. We can start with something and then upgrade/improve. What is your suggestion to start with?

samurai goroh

• FF5 Hacker
    • View Profile
    • My page
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 06:38:52 PM »
Something I'm not fond of the current viewer is that it tries to have all info in "one window". While is nice quickly jump from one tab to another it feels like sometimes the info is scattered and other times is clustered. Also, the tabs feel out of order.

One thing I forgot on the other post, not sure if it's used by others but my editor has the option to create a txt file with the info. While is kinda rudimentary I believe it can be a nice feature to incorporate, specially if you could combine it with filters like looking for specific attribute or similar (e.g. enemies weak to Petrify)...

Something that IMO screams a must have in order to have a new editor is the option to edit sprites (be it for characters, enemies, backgrounds, etc).

I'll try to come up with a mock-up because designing the GUI is in my opinion one of the most vital parts of a program, other than actually working as it should >.<

Lets say we convert the Viewer into editor. What benefit we will get from it (compared with existing ones)? Personally I don't want to create 'yet another editor'. If we will do new editor it must have more options, to be easier to use, ...

Anyway IF you have a clear vision of how a new editor will look and what new features it will have, lets do it. Please share in details your vision, the layout of future editor. We can start with something and then upgrade/improve. What is your suggestion to start with?
One obvious reason is to just depend on a single tool rather than using multiple ones. And as you mention, simpler tools will attract more people. There is no Read me nor Help section in the viewer and since it also handles the GBA version, some features are not present for the SNES and will throw an error rather than just being disabled...
I'm the best in the universe! Just remember! [F-zero X]

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 03:28:53 AM »
Something I'm not fond of the current viewer is that it tries to have all info in "one window"
Hehe that is a 'fault' by design. I like it that way - when I need an info, if I can get it just by moving my eyes - goal is achieved :D

While is nice quickly jump from one tab to another it feels like sometimes the info is scattered and other times is clustered. Also, the tabs feel out of order.
I know it feels that way ... My goal was to separate info in logical section (tab), and put all possible info there. So when you use it - sometimes it fills filled to to rim (because there is so much to show), sometimes it feels empty (because there is so little info)

Something that IMO screams a must have in order to have a new editor is the option to edit sprites (be it for characters, enemies, backgrounds, etc).
Indeed, in general graphic and music editing is a major whole and one of the reason for people not-willing to create a major mods for FF5.

IIRC the viewer still misses a couple of options that my tool does have, like:
- Base stats table (HP, MP, Exp)
- Shop info

Yeah and not just that - major thing like Character ... there is always more room to expand :D