Author Topic: FFIV CC Editing  (Read 68 times)

einlanzer

• Mist Dragon
    • View Profile
FFIV CC Editing
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:42:22 PM »
I recently started reviewing the hex and working on edits to FF IV in The Complete Collection. The structure is fairly similar to FF4A (all sorted in the eboot.bin), so between some great information here and a viewer worked on by a gamefaqs poser (not sure if he has a presence here or not), I've been able to locate areas for the majority of things i wanted to edit, including:

monster statistics, excluding drops
magic spell data
character intial stats and growth data
all item/weapon/armor statistics and flags

The main things I'm missing at this point that I'm interested in are:
monster drop data
command data
treasure data

I'm by far the most interested in locating some of the command data. I found a section that duplicates the pointers in the GBA version controlling who has what commands, but it appears to be vestigial because modifying it has no noticeable effect on the game. I have not been able to locate any other pointers or effects so far, which is surprising to me and makes me wonder if command data is stored in a different file altogether.

If anyone has any insight at all on this version, and in particular on command data, any help would be much appreciated. Unfortunately, I have pretty much no skill with ASM hacking at the moment.

Spindaboy

• Guard Leader
  • I need more sleep.
    • View Profile
    • SyndROMe Hacking
Re: FFIV CC Editing
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »
Hey! I want to be the first to say welcome to the board~

I don't really know anything about CC, but if you ever need assistance with FF4 or FF4A feel free to message me! Sorry I couldn't be of more help >~<

einlanzer

• Mist Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 12:56:02 PM »
Hey! I want to be the first to say welcome to the board~

I don't really know anything about CC, but if you ever need assistance with FF4 or FF4A feel free to message me! Sorry I couldn't be of more help >~<

Thanks! Since CC is based on FF4A, a lot of that knowledge is helpful. One thing I'm trying to figure out that I don't see much information about on this board are the changes made to the ATB system for FF4a, which carried over to this version.

If you've played both recently, you'll notice that FF4a is in fact much easier than the original FF4/2, mostly because monsters are a lot slower. Most of their speed values weren't changed for this version, so the issue almost certainly lies in updates they made to the ATB engine (which also had the effect of reducing charge times to almost nothing for commands with short charge times).

I've been trying to get a handle on what exact changes those were because I think it has implications for how to properly rebalance FF4a and FFCC.

thepatirckinator

• Mom Bomb
  • God bless you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »
If possible, it would better to wait until TileShop, the Flexible Graphics Editor, comes out. Once TileShop - Flexible Graphics Editor is released in the future, you can work on the sprites if you don't have the skills or patience to do it in eariler graphic editor programs.