Author Topic: New patch: Walk This Way Bug fix  (Read 169 times)

13375K31C43R

• Magus Sisters
    • View Profile
    • Leet Sketcher's Final Fantasy III Patches
New patch: Walk This Way Bug fix
« on: August 02, 2017, 12:09:14 AM »
Here's a patch I wrote a few months ago to replace Lenophis and Assassin's Fancy Walking patch, which has a problem mentioned here. It allows a player to throw the camera way off by talking to the kid in Tzen that's playing on the stairs, while ascending the stairs yourself. This patch fixes the problem using a similar method to Lenophis's situation, except that it removes the code that checks to see if you're talking to an NPC. What this means is that you can't do the quick-pass conversation with him that allows the camera to go AWOL, which is not much of a loss because you can still talk to him when stopped.

There are a couple of reasons why I didn't release this patch before now. One is that I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to keep the ability to talk to the kid while moving, but modify it to stop the camera moving, but I concluded that given how difficult it is to talk to an NPC while moving on flat ground, it doesn't make any appreciable difference to remove it on the stairs. The other is, well, I just didn't want to show Lenophis and Assassin up with a patch that merely does their fix the right way. Therefore, I've added in a secondary bug fix to differentiate my patch more: the bug of Terra taking an extra step in the presence of the falling ceiling in Zone Eater Cave.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:49:14 AM by 13375K31C43R »
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: New patch: Walk This Way Bug fix
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 02:18:50 AM »
It just goes to show that, no matter how much testing is done, some stupid edge-case finds a way to sneak itself in. Would have helped if I had understood C0 more when that initial patch was made.  :isuck:

Hopefully nothing else sneaks its way in. Good job. :childish:

119 bugs fixed and counting.

13375K31C43R

• Magus Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 02:26:55 AM »
It would be great if someone could add a lot more commentary to the current disassembly docs we have for banks C0, C1 and C3. They've barely been enough for me, but I want something that's much more rich and detailed, like Assassin's C2 disassembly.

"Someone" might end up being me once I have more free time.

I realize that your site has a Discord server...I might check that out one day. :hmm:
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
Well, my local copy of Bank C3 has a lot more stuff than is currently on the site. I suppose I should just update it. C1? I can't make heads or tails of it, but I believe someone did. Managed to add some to C0, but it is still severely lacking.

119 bugs fixed and counting.

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
don't forget Novalia Spirit's Bank C3.  while the comments are a bit short for my taste, he covered that SOB wall-to-wall.

EDIT: not to mention an optimized version, where he gets the whole bank to fit on the surface of a dime.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:32:57 PM by assassin »

13375K31C43R

• Magus Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 01:58:16 PM »
And of course, your disassembly of bank C2 only mostly covers the back-end of the battle code, plus a couple other functions. That's why I endeavoured to rewrite what you call "bank C1 junior". But that's also still a work in progress and there are some things I can't make heads or tails of either, possibly because it's compressed data.

Imzogelmo

• Ogopogo Aficianado
  • Ask me about my other job.
    • View Profile
    • NEPROMR
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »
I've been working a lot on C1 lately. Unfortunately, I don't have internet access right now (yeah, I'm writing this from work..). That is not meant to imply that I know a lot about C1's functionality (maybe 10% more than the online version) but I can optimize over 2000 bytes from the sucker, so there's that.
5/31/16 - I have an assembly of the battle portion of C2, relocated to the F0 bank, which has both vanilla and patch code in my dropbox. I'll be updating it with additional patches as I have time. I will *not* be releasing it publicly, but ask me for the link and I'll share.