Author Topic: FFIV Advance Sprite Editing  (Read 42 times)

Spindaboy

• Guard Leader
  • I need more sleep.
    • View Profile
    • SyndROMe Hacking
FFIV Advance Sprite Editing
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:24:57 AM »
I've been determined to figure out how replace the battle sprites. I'm using L277 Restructor 2 for exporting/importing bitmaps and APE for replacing palettes. Just out of experimentation I began replacing DK Cecil's sprite with Leonora's (form FFIVTAY) and after hours of tedious tinkering I finally booted up the ROM and to my surprise it looked great! Though I had only recreated the top part of Leonora's head it looked exactly how it should... until the game crashed. Yeah, for whatever reason everything is fine until the ATB fills up and the second it does the game resets.

Safe to say this is incredibly defeating after all those hours of work went into just figuring out how to locate the damn things. But anyway, if anyone could shed some light on what is going on here it would be greatly appreciated. Also, bonus points if anyone can tell me how to assemble each sprite as it should look in game using the bitmap provided by L277. It's 1 in the morning and I'm tired af so I will be heading to bed now. Peace.

EDIT: Must have had something to do with the palette as when I got that all straightened out it worked perfectly fine (praise the lord). Still though, if anyone has a faster, less time-consuming way of assembling each sprite PLEASE share your secret!