Author Topic: Event Call Out of Bounds Bug: Increasing Event Calls?  (Read 149 times)

elvind

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
Event Call Out of Bounds Bug: Increasing Event Calls?
« on: June 27, 2017, 07:39:46 PM »
Hi all!

The RHDN version of ff4kster correctly loads my ROM hack. The timecave version (August 9th, 2015) does not, and gives me this error:

Applying finishing touches... EVENT CALL OUT OF BOUNDS: 110/89

I was really curious because I thought (from one of chillyfeez posts) that there was an 86 event call limit.

So, I went through every single trigger and found a bunch that were 89. Changed them to 86. Still can't load correctly.

I start mashing buttons in the event call (insert key especially) and gradually increased it to 92 (first 90, then I use the old version, then 91, old version, 92...). I haven't been able to increase it beyond that yet. I was hoping to get it to 110 so I could edit my ROM with the ff4kster version that has overworld trigger modifying.

Some notes:

The hack uses only the FF4 engine and graphics. It's about 1 hour playable using cheat armor to bypass the grinding, so there's some events and maps (that took me way more than an hour to make, lol). I don't want anyone trying hard to fix the problem, this is more of an oddity.

The hack is a very vulgar (though not particularly offensive to individuals or groups but definitely terrible) attempt at playing with ff4kster while I write the story for an original sci-fi RPG using the FF4 engine.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:45:36 PM by elvind »

elvind

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
Re: Event Call Out of Bounds Bug: Increasing Event Calls?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 04:19:14 PM »
Using a brand new ROM, I'm able to get the event calls out of bounds 106/89 to occur by deleting all of the triggers in Baron except for the overworld ones.

Oddly enough, if I delete all of the triggers, it's just fine. Stranger still, is if I do this to a fresh ROM, it ends up with the same error between the two ff4kster versions (106/89 event call), whereas my hack has issues with the new overworld-editting version only (originally 110/89 event call, but I somehow after doing something with triggers got it to 110/92).

Anyway, deleting a certain trigger or triggers in Baron is kinda weird, so best to avoid it without doing a backup first.

Bahamut ZERO

• Phantom Train
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
Re: Event Call Out of Bounds Bug: Increasing Event Calls?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on Baron's triggers. I've never had the issue crop up in all the times of randomly fucking around with that map, so I'll definitely be more careful in the future.

Also, I dig the sound of you hack! I love vulgar humor.
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!