Author Topic: FF6 PlayStation editing  (Read 302 times)

13375K31C43R

• Magus Sisters
    • View Profile
    • Leet Sketcher's Final Fantasy III Patches
FF6 PlayStation editing
« on: June 14, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
I've found a way to port some of my patches to the PS1 version of FF6, namely the ones that edit things in data, like event scripts and animation scripts and things like that. However, the BIN file I obtained contains two copies of the event scripts. Any idea why there would need to be two copies? Why they are used? Should I edit just one, or both?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: FF6 PlayStation editing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 03:44:06 PM »
Well, if you know how the game loads them, you could check. Alternatively, trial and error can be used. Edit one, see if it works as intended, edit the other, edit both.

An easy way to check would be to find the events of the intro sequence and see which gets used.

119 bugs fixed and counting.

13375K31C43R

• Magus Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »
OK, I tried testing my Bland Entrance fix on the PS1 version, and it seems as though only one of the two copies of the event scripts matters. Editing one works, editing the other does not. And it doesn't have anything to do with which Memory Card you are using, which is the only way I can think of that a second copy of the event scripts might be relevant. So I'm lost as to why there are two copies - maybe they wanted a backup or something.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

Chronosplit

• Karlabos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 03:12:31 PM »
How strange.  Looking at TCRF and Data Crystal both it doesn't appear anyone's noticed.  Maybe one is an unaltered SNES version of the event scripts?

Tenkarider

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
what if you compare the 2 files? no difference at all between the two?

thepatirckinator

• Magissa & Forza
  • God bless you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 07:54:16 AM »
If you know the coding and hacking skills for Final Fantasy VI while importing the data from the General Leo Edition of Final Fantasy VI by fedorajoe, we can get more playtime with General Leo in the Playstation version of Final Fantasy VI.

thepatirckinator

• Magissa & Forza
  • God bless you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 08:00:43 AM »
It's not that easy, but somebody with the time and patience who could import data from the General Leo Edition hack of Final Fantasy VI into the GBA, PC, and Playstation port of the same name would be nice. Therefore, we get to have more playtime with General Leo before he dies taking Shadow's place in the Ending. Not only that, we no longer have to get General Leo by a glitch.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:00:52 PM by thepatirckinator »

13375K31C43R

• Magus Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »

Correct, the two files are identical. There are also two copies of the spell animation scripts as well, and they, too, are identical.

Chronosplit

• Karlabos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 11:03:44 AM »

Correct, the two files are identical. There are also two copies of the spell animation scripts as well, and they, too, are identical.
Does that mean Silence is unaltered in both?  Interesting.  It may just be leftover data from a beta or something.  I wonder if the identical event script can be called to replace the another via something like a toggle in the config menu though?