Author Topic: Someone explain this Donkey Farm thing  (Read 149 times)

Spooniest

• Guard Leader
  • Coffee Warrior
    • View Profile
Someone explain this Donkey Farm thing
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:55:27 PM »
Um

"Donkey Farm?" This is hilarious to me and has grown so the more I've read and re-read it as I've popped in here over the years.

But I don't get it...lol
DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: Someone explain this Donkey Farm thing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »
It's a Pandora's Box in-joke that happened during development. Same with the Kingdom of Kefak. Library of the Ancients is just a straight FF5 reference.

119 bugs fixed and counting.

thepatirckinator

• Antlion
  • God bless you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 02:41:03 PM »
So the Donkey Farm is a Pandora's Box in-joke unused in Final Fantasy VI. Obviously, it wasn't used due to deadlines. Not only that, we got Shadow instead of General Leo as a fully-playable character due to deadlines as well.

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 03:36:04 PM »
that's correct.  Amano originally intended Shadow to be a key NPC, the lead ranch hand of the Donkey Farm.  however, it was determined that the cartridge space needed for the braying SPC samples would be prohibitively expensive.  there was also concern that the ESRB would slap a strict rating on the game due to the sheer power of donkey kicks, even when presented as slapstick in nature with the ranchers fully recovering from them.  the 1990s were truly a different era, both in terms of technology and cultural mores.  however, this was one case where compromise didn't hinder the final product.  Amano, while initially disappointed, turned in some of his finest work on Shadow's overhauled garments; his name also fit better once the brightly-colored kerchief and large straw hat were abandoned (his headband retaining elements of the former as a subtle nod to the original sketches).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:06:23 PM by assassin »

thepatirckinator

• Antlion
  • God bless you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 09:00:37 AM »
Amano must feel really guilty for not giving us a fully-playable Golbez in the original Final Fantasy IV and we got Edge instead of Golbez due to deadlines.