Author Topic: Chronosplit's Minor Text Fixes (FFTactics PS1, Chrono Trigger SNES)  (Read 776 times)

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
You've probably seen these about, but I figure since I'm here I might as well make a thread.  Two in one because they're somewhat similar in goal.

Final Fantasy Tactics Name Fix Patch
Don't want to play PSP's stylized take on the script, but also hate seeing crap in your menus like Wiznaibus or punching people with swords?  Wish you could play the PS1 version with somewhat modern spell names?  These xDelta patches are for you!  This little patch fixes and updates Ability, Equipment, Job/Monster, Treasure, and Unexplored Land names.  The intent is to stay within the lines of PS1 and GBA FF releases with terms, so while familiar they are (hopefully) also readable and not overly stylized.  Some WOTL was used but not nearly all.  This is also not a retranslation, so the plot dialog and such has been left completely intact and not everything was changed.  Included are a "main" version, a version that doesn't use the modern spell suffixes (so it's 1/2/3 like FFs up to VII), and one that has WOTL's swordskills.   Also included are .ffttext files, for those of you who want to use them in your own stuff or wish to modify them in the editors (in fact, in the FAQ are some things just for that.  Like Limit Break notes or really weird things attempted on Un-Truth).

The zip appears to be too big for Slick, so here are some links:
FFHacktics, all discussion tends to wind up here as well as getting updated sooner.
RHDN, has screenshots and a directly linked change list that you don't need to download (the list isn't short, and I'm absolutely sure some are objectionable.).

Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring.
This is somewhat of an extended version of an already existing text-based fix patch.  This is however perfectly working standalone, and folds that patch within it.

This patch is an extension to the previous patch in a way, fixing errors in Techs, Equipment, the most minor of localization whoopsies, minor update of things to Cross's terms (only two or three really need this at all), and a couple lines that were missed by the previous.  Some things were lifted from the DS version, but this isn't meant to be that sort of update.  As a bonus this also restores alcohol references (which I hope I didn't butcher).  Truthfully I make this sound bigger than what it is.  Some things are left as-is due to menu limits.

The patch is now officially too large, so you can also check out RHDN for a download.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:50:26 PM by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Chronosplit's Minor Text Fixes (FFTactics PS1, Chrono Trigger SNES)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 04:47:55 PM »
Quick update to CT.

-By request: DoomFinger has been reverted, Master Mune has been moved to Liberties.
-Fixed Valkyrie's misspelling.
-Improved the tutorial text in Liberties for Panacea (Instead of "heal yourself" it's "auto-heal."  This communicates the same intended message.)
-Text file is now an RTF.

That should be it for that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:47:37 PM by Chronosplit »

13375K31C43R

• Magus Sisters
    • View Profile
    • Leet Sketcher's Final Fantasy III Patches
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 08:05:40 PM »
This is however perfectly working standalone, and should in fact be patched before the linked patch (blame Temporal Flux).

Does this really matter? What happens if they're applied in the wrong order?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 09:12:39 PM »
This is however perfectly working standalone, and should in fact be patched before the linked patch (blame Temporal Flux).

Does this really matter? What happens if they're applied in the wrong order?
It is completely nessessary.  This sounds strange, but if you do it in the wrong order the other will be mostly nulled at best.  Not overwritten though, I've kept a close eye on things and they're 100% not clashing.  Just the original patch was made pre-TF, and the tool apparently replicates the entire script into a patch when edited.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:00:00 PM by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 06:29:37 PM »
Another update so soon?  Well, this one's actually important.

-Fixed somewhat noticeable spacial bugs in edited content.  This was caused by spaces placed in error in front of changed names, of which when removed would result in Temporal Flux adding the correct kind of freespace signals in front (IE they were all FFFFFF as in spaces between words, instead of EFEFEFEF).  Fixes about everything from Panacea having a space in front of it whenever obtained to tech learning messages.

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 01:10:11 PM »
Happy Easter!  One more update to tackle the rest:
-Moved Uzi Punch to the normal patch.
-Bar>Pub (More indicative of the place.)
-Geno Dome>Genocidome (Intended.  Thanks to one letter less from Pub, this was possible.)
-Decedent>Lancer (It's a Lancer.  Most of the other Skeleton enemies ended up changed so...)
-Side Kick>Nomad ("Drifting One."  Slattery's rendition includes a reference to either Star Trek or the satellite while fitting the limit.  This works fine.  If you're wondering why this but not Boss Orb, it was done in the process of correcting the original name to Sidekick.)
-Vicks>Biggs (The running Star Wars reference of Biggs and Wedge, you'll find it in Bekkler's Lab.  There's also a textual bug fix where it asks you to find Biggs with a period instead of a question mark.)
-Info center>Info Center (proper capitalization in Arris Dome, Info is capitalized but Center is not so it's either Infocenter or Info Center.)

I don't know of a single other thing I can do to this now.  I'm thinking this is finally the last one.... hopefully.

EDIT: One more thing I didn't stick into the stuff not changed category but I probably need to.  Incognito is a case which Woolsey's take actually hones into it's punny intent better than Gold or Hero's Shield.  It's an odd sort of thing that can't really be replicated in it's entirety, you can find more about it here: https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/PeepngDoom.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:49:24 PM by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »
Turns out I lied.  This is it, because I had missed one stray Toma string.

-Fixed one straggling mention of Soda in Porre's Pub
-Decided to go ahead and edit the Slash hint in Dornio Inn

EDIT: Whoops, there was a UPS patch that shouldn't have been in there.  Reuploaded, blame MultiPatch.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:51:19 PM by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
Realized a couple more I could work with, but not much.  Mostly I did this while fixing the readme link in RHDN.

Fly Trap>Flytrap (Flytrap is kept, as otherwise it would've made things kind of stick out.)
Proto 2/3/4>Proto 2.0/3.0/4.0 (These should at least be version numbers.)
Nomad>Sidekick (I realized that this broke up a duo made up due to Woolsey's names.  So I reverted it back to a fixed version.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:08:31 PM by Chronosplit »

Rodimus Primal

• Siren
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger has always been my favorite, even more so than Final Fantasy VI. I finally broke down and applied your newest version along with ManuLove's patch as I see the combination is 99% worth it. I think one of the reasons his patch should be applied after yours is because his changes the internal file name to CT Bugfix Edition (I don't know why but I'm taking a wild guess). I changed it back to be compatible with an editor and changed Cleave back to Spincut, and the Skeleton back to Defunct as a personal preference. Thanks for your hard work on this.

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger has always been my favorite, even more so than Final Fantasy VI. I finally broke down and applied your newest version along with ManuLove's patch as I see the combination is 99% worth it. I think one of the reasons his patch should be applied after yours is because his changes the internal file name to CT Bugfix Edition (I don't know why but I'm taking a wild guess). I changed it back to be compatible with an editor and changed Cleave back to Spincut, and the Skeleton back to Defunct as a personal preference. Thanks for your hard work on this.
You're quite welcome!

The header is mostly why it can't be altered after both ptaches are applied.  It was done as a little extra in the bugfix patch.  One could hack the name back in pretty easily, but that isn't going to happen here because of patch order requirement and the conditions of the bugfix patch's use.  Which basically says don't use or directly alter a single piece of the patch at all (the need for separation keeps this patch completely in-line with his wishes and doesn't mess with what he changed, no worries there).

As for why the patching order is required, my theory is that it's more because the bugfix patch is an older patch and mine uses Temporal Flux.  TF appears to go towards "overwrite everything" sometimes.  I can assure you that there are no conflicts though, it's odd but it's bug free.

EDIT: Got a small request to put some minor patch compatibility in the readme for similar small jobs, so why not?  For those not wanting to download the RTF just for that:

-This is compatible with Racing Fixes and Johnny Jackpot.  However either one should be put in last (don't forget your header removal).
-Chrono Trigger Platinum is small enough and doesn't alter anything any of these patches does, so it should be good.  However extensive testing hasn't been done yet.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:19:46 PM by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 03:19:01 PM »
How about one more?
-Fixed Area Bomb's inconsistent description.
-Fixed the Wind Slash hint being unedited (Perhaps in the UPS mixup it got kerfuffled?)
-Fixed the last beer comment being unedited (?)
-Fixed the incorrect listing of Tyran Fortress in The End of Time
-Lode Shields>Lode Vests (Eh, it's more consistent)
-Updated Genocidome's events for the new name and TeratonArm

Liberties only: Flea Vest>FleaCorset (Turns out there was a way around that.)

Tell me if anything looks weird now.

EDIT: Hotfix.  Inconsistency with Area Bomb description in Liberties fixed; It's only one cap so RHDN can wait on a third ping until something new pops up or a while passes.  Now THAT should be all.
EDIT 2: Hotfix 4 Hotfix.  Choras Inn patron who gives you the tools would be inconsistent with his dialogue, mentioning two kinds of alcohol.  :lame:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:46:14 PM by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »
-Updated the sealed chests in Northern Ruins.
-Updated Frog's gold rock event for Freelancer.
-In Liberties, updated Ozzie's Fort for FleaCorset.
-In Liberties, updated Gold Rock's description.

This should've been done a long time ago.  Good news is I've done a new playthrough and this is absolutely complete.

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »
One late update, decided to make an attempt on a couple things I had deemed impossible.

Lemonade>Hard Lemonade (Moonlight parade ending.  I wanted to keep this drink, but Taban's line hints at something different.)

In Liberties:
Lode Sword>SilverEdge (Main reason why the Silver weapons aren't going in the vanilla patch, had to do some altering past the weapon name.)
Lode Bow>Silver Bow
Lode Vest>PlatinVest (Platin is a shortened version, like Titan or Lumin.  Too bad Platina couldn't even make it.  LethargicOwl used this in their patch for Doctor L's script, and I liked it well enough.)
Lode Helm>PlatinHelm
-Updated Kajar store for such.

Oh, and it looks like I didn't mention the last one though I did upload it... it was small, normalizing all patches to use Flea's Bra. *shrug*
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:56:41 PM by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 11:26:56 PM »
Removed Master Mune from Liberties, as Gold Rock's description was getting updated by the other patch.  This keeps things equal and still not messing with/including the other's data.

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 08:44:21 PM »
EXPERIMENTAL: Added optional patches folder.  Right now this contains a Sky/Dark patch (in the name of uncensoring uses the retranslation's element names, also updates relevant text and enemy techs, actual Lightning spells aren't changed for obvious reasons), but CronoNick may follow.  The latter might be complicated as I figure out how to work this in due to requiring an expanded ROM (just make a UPS patch with both?  I dunno).

AFAIK, this can be added at any point.  However I wouldn't put it first unless you just want to play the vanilla game with different element names.  Also, this isn't in the RHDN mirror yet.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:12:16 PM by Chronosplit »