Author Topic: New patch: Menu Malarky Bug fix  (Read 1901 times)

13375K31C43R

• Magus Sisters
    • View Profile
    • Leet Sketcher's Final Fantasy III Patches
Re: New patch: Menu Malarky Bug fix
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 06:59:57 PM »
Why would I hate you?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

Xenovant

• Tunnel Armor
  • (ಠ_ಠ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2017, 07:12:15 PM »
Oops, I have forgotten to remove that :P

I was saying that I could get past the guard at south figaro, but that was because I was testing a different rom, not the one with the patch  :blush:.

When I have noticed what I was doing I have removed it, but not the first phrase  :happy:

TheNattak

• Garula
  • Mike
    • View Profile
    • Return of the Dark Sorcerer
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 09:02:17 PM »
Those might just be the reverse patches, those haven't changed. They should be dated February 21. If not, they should be dated February 10, which is when it was updated previously.
I think the zip file still has the older feb 8th patches. The .rar and .7z are updated correctly.

13375K31C43R

• Magus Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 09:35:49 PM »
Well, I just downloaded the zip files and I can confirm they are dated February 21.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

TheNattak

• Garula
  • Mike
    • View Profile
    • Return of the Dark Sorcerer
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »
OK cool, must be something on my side, like some kind of cookie for the previous version downloaded or something, who knows.
Nice job on the patch!

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 02:57:07 AM »
yep, tight code.  a few questions:

- how do the $86 and $87 bitmasks in Functions C0/7CE1 and C0/7D03 work?  what are the criteria for choosing different ones?
- what benefits and drawbacks might there be to achieving "proper" $087A,Y and $087B,Y (and thus $1E and $1F) for left/up movers by always doing rounding for them (e.g. using the [upper word] pixel coordinate plus 000Fh) in Function C0/7CE1?  your way is narrower and probably safer.  now, it might miss remedying some other cases.  but on the flip side, are there known cases that are direction-agnostic, where you'd want to keep the rounded down coordinate?
- sometimes, the direction in $087E,Y can be above 4, but apparently not when C0/5263 is called.  any idea what these higher values/bits mean, or in what contexts they are or aren't stripped out?
- there is weirdness with the Opera House rats encounter triggering:
http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=236&p=2680#p2680

i wonder how much of that unfairness and/or lag is specific to cases where one or more entity is moving up/left, and thus the goofy rounding happens.  maybe your patch will fix some of this.  or maybe it'll make things worse, as entities "occupying" two tiles at a time increases their chances of colliding.  now, even if it is the latter answer, it'd be hard to blame your patch, as the idea that an entity straddling two tiles is in both seems pretty sound to me... and it's ultimately the limited tile-based placement system that's probably at the root of things.

13375K31C43R

• Magus Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 04:03:35 AM »
- how do the $86 and $87 bitmasks in Functions C0/7CE1 and C0/7D03 work?  what are the criteria for choosing different ones?

The only values held in $86 and $87 are 0Fh, 1Fh, 3Fh, 7Fh and FFh. By the looks of it, these are related to map sizes and are used for clamping things like NPC locations to map coordinates (e.g. you can't have an NPC at (40, 8) on a 32x32 map).

Hmm... I wonder if we can use that to fix the camera problem in the Fanatics' Tower's White Drgn room...

- sometimes, the direction in $087E,Y can be above 4, but apparently not when C0/5263 is called.  any idea what these higher values/bits mean, or in what contexts they are or aren't stripped out?

$087E,Y is usually used for movement direction (0 = none, 1 = up, 2 = right, 3 = down, 4 = left). It's also sometimes used with higher values, including for stuff like movement speed, but your guess is as good as mine about how that works.

- there is weirdness with the Opera House rats encounter triggering:
http://mnrogar.slickproductions.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=236&p=2680#p2680

I think it's just delayed reaction. You can run into the same thing in the 3-party defense battles.

or maybe it'll make things worse, as entities "occupying" two tiles at a time increases their chances of colliding.

My patch doesn't do anything if there's already an object at the destination tile, and as far as I understand the game generally does a pretty good job of maintaining this.

now, even if it is the latter answer, it'd be hard to blame your patch, as the idea that an entity straddling two tiles is in both seems pretty sound to me... and it's ultimately the limited tile-based placement system that's probably at the root of things.

That's exactly what it is. For example, Locke is able to bypass the guard in South Figaro if you enter the Main Menu with precise timing because when the guard starts to take a step downward, he's treated as being at the tile beneath him as well as his current tile, and he's not removed from the "current tile" until the step is completed. When exiting the Main Menu, however, he's put back at the "current tile" but not the destination tile, which means the destination tile is open for Locke to step to, and then the tile behind the guard opens up when the guard is done stepping, allowing Locke to carry on through.

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 07:50:14 PM »
The only values held in $86 and $87 are 0Fh, 1Fh, 3Fh, 7Fh and FFh. By the looks of it, these are related to map sizes and are used for clamping things like NPC locations to map coordinates (e.g. you can't have an NPC at (40, 8) on a 32x32 map).

thanks.

or maybe it'll make things worse, as entities "occupying" two tiles at a time increases their chances of colliding.

My patch doesn't do anything if there's already an object at the destination tile, and as far as I understand the game generally does a pretty good job of maintaining this.

to be sure, by "colliding", i didn't mean inhabit the same space, but just the game detecting the entities made contact, and triggered a battle.  a patch that temporarily enlarges the "hitboxes" of one or both entities would likely trigger battles more readily.

re Locke and guard: ah, that's a good explanation.

13375K31C43R

• Magus Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 09:30:35 AM »
:bump: New update! Version 1.3!