Author Topic: FFVX - A Rebalancing Mod  (Read 525 times)

Xardas

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
FFVX - A Rebalancing Mod
« on: March 18, 2017, 06:59:27 PM »
Good evening, fellas!

I made big progresses in my mod. Actually, I am so far that I dared to open this very thread.  :cycle:
There is not much work left, however, I can't say that the release date will be very soon. I'll explain in the last paragraph.
The working title is "Final Fantasy V Xardas Edition" (very original, I know :childish:), in short FFVX.
I wanted to name it something like "FFV Rebalance", but there already is a mod called "FF5 Remake", so I was not sure about that name.

This is going to be a place where I post some concrete stuff about the changes.
After release, this should become a Q&A-thread.

Before I tell you more about my mod, some other things have to be said. First of all, I have bad news for every fan of ZSNES. Due to an emulation bug, ZSNES exposes secret passages in FFV by coloring the lefternmost secret passage tile with a different shade of black without using the "Passages" ability. I recommend another emulator, eg. Snes9x, since it does not have this bug. I actually noticed the bug when I played FFV on ZSNES for the first time. However, it was no big deal for me as I played the Anthology version first, so I already knew all passages. But in this case, that's probably not in your interest as secret passages are edited in this mod.

Secondly, I have some information about targeting offsets in Enemy AI scripts. I think some of you already know this, but since I did not find it neither here
http://slickproductions.org/slickwiki/index.php/Jorgur:FF5_AI_scripts#Codes
nor in Squall's FFViewer (Yes, that bad pun was intentional^^), I think it's better to shout this info out:
12 means "All Characters in front row"
13 means "All characters in back row"
I realized that Shiva targets characters with her Ice2 only this way in my first playthrough, actually. And as I was looking up her AI via Squall's Viewer, I realized that those values have the said effect.

"Enough of your babbling dude, what have done already?"
First of all, I did not start with a fresh RPGe translated mod. My base already contained patches dony by other people. At this place, I want to thank Instructrtrepe, Grond and 13375K31C43R for their patches. Cheers also to samurai goroh, Squall and noisecross for their wonderful programs which helped a lot. :edit: Also, thank you Jorgur, Squall, LightPhoenix, noisecross and Praetarius5018 for helping me by sharing knowledge and answering my questions.
The following patches are already implied:
Fractional M + alternate Knife Parameter, Power Drink bugfix, Kiss of Blessing bugfix, Observe bugfix, Butz' Blue Mage sprite bugfix, Two Galufs bugfix, Faster death animation, Landing Bugfix

Here is a short extract about my additional edits:
BATTLE:
-Enemies' stats beefed up
 Rather than blindly raising all the stats and immunities, I tried to be reasonable here. You won't see lightweights with 50 Defense or big monsters with 60 Evasion.
-Enemy formations changed
 "Easy" enemy formations (eg. 1 Goblin or 1 Lyacon) were either made more difficult by adding more monsters, or entirely cut out.
 Since I was able cut out some enemy formations, I managed to build some new Monster-in-a-box formations. Have fun! ;)
[...]

CHARACTERS
-Character stats changed
 The differences between the characters are higher. For example, you might think about giving Knight Lenna a magic command while thinking twice before giving Knight Butz one of those.
-Job stats changed
-Ability stat bonuses lowered
 Ex.: A mage with "Brawl" is now by far not as strong as a Monk. The magic power of a warrior with "White LV6" will not be as good as the one of a White Mage as well.
-Field messages altered
 Almost everything regarding the House of Beginners in both World 1 and 3 is re-interpreted
 Alternative story regarding Enuo and the 12 Legendary Weapons
 A couple of townspeople and scholars now give some (different) advise
[...]

EQUIPMENT
-New data and/or names for almost every piece of equipment
-Harps now additionally deal damage before casting their pathetic spells
-6 New weapons
-9 New armors/accessories
-Armor types altered
-Dancer Gear and Chemist Gear abolished
-Some new Icons for equipment
[...]

MAPS
-A couple of treasures moved
-Treasure content altered
-Secret passages altered
-Some changes on the surfaces of World 1 and 3
 Some of them are just cosmetic, others not only cosmetic
 Eg. The Pirate Bay now is really hidden

MAGIC, COMMANDS, ITEMS
-Songs now do cost MP
-Black Shock/Dark Spark now causes Sap/Seizure.
 It will still display "Level halved", but that's not happening. Please ignore this for now. I try to fix this.
-Some Mixes changed (mostly nerfed)
-Tonic (Potion) now heals 70HP in battle

And I am almost done with the Readme. This extract is straight copied from it^^

"Doesn't sound bad. So do you have any pics yet??"
Well, I don't have any interesting pics yet, because I never actually did one full playthrough. The farthest I went was until the point where you get the first jobs :sad:. Whenever I wanted to test something crucial in another area, I just loaded a save. And even before a playthrough, I already discovered some mistakes I already made. So I need that playthrough to find all of them, hopefully ;). Besides, the following things have to be done too:
-Adjusting shop prizes
-Adjusting Enemies' HP, Exp, Gil and Battle ABP
-Adjusting Enemies' stats again as it is not tested in practice yet.
That's why I said not much to be done, but it will take some time.

But don't worry - I'm going to post screenshots during my playthrough. Maybe I'll upload a teaser vid on Youtube, who knows.
Stay tuned, mates!

Xardas

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
Re: FFVX - A Rebalancing Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:25:19 PM »
Hello
I hope these pictures will draw more attention to my project - although they won't contain as much information as my long, boring text^^

1) That's where you start now. This river connects the part surrounded by mountains (Tycoon, Worus etc.) with the rest of the World. It's just a cosmetic change for the sake of logic.
2) New starting equipment and stats for our hero.
3) Yep, you won't win those battle by spamming Fight ;)
6) Now that's what I call a hidden pirate bay, harhar

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 06:35:23 AM »
Hi Xardas,

I'm glad to see your project already in motion, good job!

I'm curious about your findings:
12 means "All Characters in front row"
13 means "All characters in back row"
Did you tested it, does it work that way? A good test will be to put 2 in front 2 in back, beef up stats (so you can survive longer) and see the damage - do really only 2 chars get dmg?
I'm asking, because as far as I know there is no such mechanic implemented. You either hit all or single target ...

Xardas

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
Well, the discussion about targeting was already moved, so back to the topic.
Glad you liked it so far, Squall^^
Now I'm gonna show you my font alterations:
In the first pic, you already see a bunch of new stuff. The first thing you will notice is probably the new icon for boomerang-type weapons.The second weapon also has a new feature: "ri" DTE. It's maybe a little bit too narrow, but still readable, right? In the first glance, there is nothing new about the Genji Helmet - but there is. Take a close look at the "j". It's different now. The A in MythrilA stands for (heavy) Armor.
The second pic also shows enough new stuff: new icons for Maces, Hammers, (light) Hats, Medium Armor and the Kornago Jar (well, this one is not really new, because it's just the Drink icon hawhaw^^). The P in MythrilP stands for (breast)Plate.
In the third picture, you'll see the icons for Combar Suits (new category) and Armlets. You'll probably also notice another use of "ri" DTE.
The last picture shows the new icons for Magic Hats and Robes (this one is only slightly altered).

thepatirckinator

• Magissa & Forza
  • God bless you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:43:47 PM »
Good luck with the project! The original Final Fantasy V was unbalanced in terms of difficulty. It needs to be rebalanced.

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 01:45:06 AM »
thepatirckinator do you find it too easy or too hard?

thepatirckinator

• Magissa & Forza
  • God bless you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 08:26:36 PM »
Probably too hard!

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:02:49 AM »
Its interesting about the whole FF - when you start the game, usually you feel its difficult. Once you understand how it works, you find it it quite easy. I wish they had implemented at least 3 levels of difficulty - easy, normal hard.

Personally I find all FF easy, except one - FF I for SNES ... I was doing all known to me FF tricks in order to survive, yet sometimes I had to grind in order to clear some of the early dungeons ...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:08:48 AM by Squall »