Author Topic: RHDN Currently Down  (Read 1534 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• Phantom Train
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
Re: RHDN Currently Down
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
The main page doesn't even fully load.

I noticed that the other day. Also, downloads keep randomly cutting off on me when I'm over there. Tried for an hour to get a text editor for Ocarina of Time (1.5mb), and basically was refreshing the page and waiting for 8761235 pictures of SMB1 hacks to load the whole time.

I wouldn't be suprised if this site or another similar place took over as the ROM hacking central site.

Actually that would be pretty great, or if more than just 3 or 4 so sites had similar databases as RHDN has.

Locking out the forums is a bad move IMO

I mean it'd be one thing if the site was just in dire straits and desperately needed money, but even that patreon announcement post comes across as: "It's YOUR fault we decided to drastically update our site because 30 people wanted Facebook and Twitter buttons, so now YOU need to pay a monthly fee for stuff that's already been around for 15-odd years so we can pay a 3rd party to continue to do the exact same thing we've been doing - fixing something that wasn't broken.

Yay, tweets!  :happy: :laugh: :lame:"
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2017, 01:48:05 PM »
Ah, so the site randomly not working wasn't my connection in flux.  It was working just fine until some days ago, now it's hard to even get to updated hacks for me (luckily MaternalBound has another place for downloading, not so much for that neat looking MM7 restoration).  Downloads do randomly cut out in the same fashion, kind of another reason why I backed up all my stuff to mega.

The bad thing is that I can't even find out if there's a reason behind these recent outages, nor can anyone else just visiting.  It's silent on the Twitter too.  You would think stuff about this would be a crucial thing to update on, other sites do it just to be nice at least. :lame:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:51:01 AM by Chronosplit »

Spindaboy

• Guard Leader
  • I need more sleep.
    • View Profile
    • SyndROMe Hacking
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2017, 02:51:55 PM »
I've purposefully been avoiding this topic because I have strong feelings towards it, but the short version is I really hope someone can scrape as many of the files as possible off RHDN and start a new lead ROM hacking website (preferably with a less cancerous community). I refuse to support the scummy and disingenuous way Nightcrawler has decided to run the site.

Bahamut ZERO

• Phantom Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2017, 12:38:38 PM »
Eh, it wouldn't be so bad if they actually let people discuss it without an entire thread poofing.

OR if you could so much as bring it up over there without some RHDN zealot harping out "After all RHDN has done for the community, it can't ASK for money? HERR DERR DERR" *thread gets deleted and you get a picture of a horse's head attached to a threat PM'ed to you by a mod*

That site's community's given that site more than that site could ever give back to them - an existence.

And all this because of a forum update maybe 3 dozen people actually wanted.  :lame:
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »
Looks like the site's not malfunctioning anymore right now, at least.

Spooniest

• Antlion
  • Coffee Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »
I haven't posted there since reading the news article on the front page.

I read through it, processed it, took down my avatar and sig, popped into chat to type a single line:

"That's as far as I go. Check please."

And I'm done. RHDN has been taking a crap on its community members all these years, but I've been mostly alright with how they ran things if it meant something.

This stinks of a shameless cash grab and it makes me infuriated to have supported RHDN as a website.
DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?

Spindaboy

• Guard Leader
  • I need more sleep.
    • View Profile
    • SyndROMe Hacking
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 09:11:51 PM »
This is the story of why I left RHDN. Originally I had made a thread for my the hack I was working on at the time, however I apparently didn't have enough "evidence" to warrant my hack getting its own thread in the "Personal Projects" section. The thread is then wrongly moved to "ROM Hacking Discussion" which is clearly not where it belongs. I pay a visit to the RHDN Discord and after basically asking wtf is going on I'm told that whichever staff member moved my thread "must have had a good reason for doing so". When I refute that claim and show that I clearly followed the guidelines (I even included screenshots) I am immediately (without warning) banned form the Discord and on top of that the thread I previously mentioned is completely removed from the site. I tweet at the RHDN Twitter what happened and kindly ask that they would get their staff under control. The moderator Azkadellia responds saying there is no possible way a staff member could have abused their power as it simply wouldn't happen. Infuriated at this point I leave the site all together.

That was about 5 months ago. So now I come back to the site at roughly the same time the Patreon catastrophe is occurring and start a thread for my latest hack (FFIV Postlude). My account at this point is also under limited access meaning all my posts must be approved by a Moderator first. So it's approved, however I don't have the ability to edit it due to the limited access. So what I do is I create another forum account under my current username (Spindaboy) and make a post on the thread basically saying I wouldn't be updating the project on RHDN anymore that also included a link to the thread for the hack on this site. I check back today and the entire thread is gone. Deleted. It doesn't exist anymore. No message from the moderators or any other notification of any kind. The Patreon fiasco alone was a good enough reason to leave, but this just solidifies my decision. So all I have to say now is the following: Fuck you romhacking.net. Fuck your ungratefulness to the community, fuck your cancerous members, fuck your unjust staff, and fuck your money whoring website.

Chronosplit

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »
^I can confirm at least that a Mod had a power trip, Personal Projects has very loose guidelines about how you post things in reality.

I know this because my FFT Name Fix post had next to nothing actually in it, had someone complaining about my update frequency, and me multiposting.  Mine was the worst thread in PP and it never had any mod interaction.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 10:11:34 AM by Chronosplit »

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2017, 05:24:54 PM »
Well I'm gone from there now because some fucking douche bag mod removed my Final Fantasy XII topic without explanation.   He never replied to my PM either. 

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 06:16:51 PM »
as in "Different Final Fantasy XII releases?" ?

that is on archive.org and in the fleeting google cache, if you need to refer to anything in it.

Bahamut ZERO

• Phantom Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »
(TL;DR version of this post at the bottom)

About four months into the whole RHDN Patreon campaign, and a personal break from checking in on a daily basis across the few hacking sites that I frequent (packed schedule, been getting back into shape, etc) I notice:

- Seemingly no attempt at "professional web designer"- paid new features to their site that I can think of or notice

- Seemingly no updates to their forum like they said there'd be, as far as I can tell.

- People are still having threads deleted out of thin air for no reason

- They have less traffic on the site than Pokecommunity on a regular, back and forth basis

- Their General Discussion forum's still behind a paywall, and is probably still more thought-policed than a North Korean news station

- Slick and the other forum I go on are still far more welcoming and civil

TL;DR version: Nothing's changed in four months despite almost roughly $2000 in donations given, half the mods are still pompous assholes, and NC has, at this point, fulfilled less of his promises than Donald Trump.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope you all have an epic one.  :happy:

Squall

• Iron Claw
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2017, 03:46:08 AM »
Hey BZ, what TL;DR mean?

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2017, 09:42:45 AM »
it stands for "Squall Needs to Learn to Use a Search Engine". :P

Squall

• Iron Claw
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2017, 10:15:08 AM »
hehe, I didn't know there is abbreviation for me, thank you, I'm flattered  :laugh: