Author Topic: New patch: Lens Cap Glitch fix  (Read 417 times)

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
    • Leet Sketcher's Final Fantasy III Patches
New patch: Lens Cap Glitch fix
« on: February 27, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »
Woot! Big thanks to Assassin for helping me figure out how to fix this glitch, the annoying "camera moves to your position when you fight the White Drgn in the Fanatics' Tower and won't move back" glitch! I figured out how to add a map size check on the function that moves the camera to your position, so now the camera will stay fixed. You're welcome, everyone! :childish:
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

Imzogelmo

• Ogopogo Aficianado
  • Ask me about my other job.
    • View Profile
    • NEPROMR
Re: New patch: Lens Cap Glitch fix
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 05:09:16 PM »
That's awesome, LeetSketcher. Is this a general fix for all instances or does it only apply to the White Drgn one? (and no, I can't remember offhand what the others were, but there are a few).
5/31/16 - I have an assembly of the battle portion of C2, relocated to the F0 bank, which has both vanilla and patch code in my dropbox. I'll be updating it with additional patches as I have time. I will *not* be releasing it publicly, but ask me for the link and I'll share.

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 08:05:05 PM »
That's awesome, LeetSketcher. Is this a general fix for all instances or does it only apply to the White Drgn one? (and no, I can't remember offhand what the others were, but there are a few).

I can believe that this is not limited to just White Drgn, but White Drgn was my reference point for the fix. It's worth noting that camera movements on maps that are actually large enough to provide degrees of freedom are unchanged (e.g. the Battle for the Frozen Esper). Also, upon inspection, $055E is ONLY used for NPC contact triggers, so anything that would make a should-be-fixed camera move for any other reason I don't know about is also unchanged.

It would be nice if you could remember those alleged other instances, but I won't hold that against you. :happy:
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

Imzogelmo

• Ogopogo Aficianado
  • Ask me about my other job.
    • View Profile
    • NEPROMR
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:04:22 PM »
I seem to recall the 3-party battle in the Narshe Snowfield being affected by it, namely if one of the non-controlled parties gets contacted by one of the enemy NPCs. But I'm really tired and not ready to look it up yet, so let's just postpone that to another time.
5/31/16 - I have an assembly of the battle portion of C2, relocated to the F0 bank, which has both vanilla and patch code in my dropbox. I'll be updating it with additional patches as I have time. I will *not* be releasing it publicly, but ask me for the link and I'll share.

TheNattak

• Garula
  • Mike
    • View Profile
    • Return of the Dark Sorcerer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »

I can believe that this is not limited to just White Drgn, but White Drgn was my reference point for the fix. It's worth noting that camera movements on maps that are actually large enough to provide degrees of freedom are unchanged (e.g. the Battle for the Frozen Esper). Also, upon inspection, $055E is ONLY used for NPC contact triggers, so anything that would make a should-be-fixed camera move for any other reason I don't know about is also unchanged.

It would be nice if you could remember those alleged other instances, but I won't hold that against you. :happy:

The ghost npc battles on the ghost train come to mind. I've yet to test if this patch fixes those as well, but I was hoping so as it looks just as bad as the camera can go past the normal map mask/border, I think.

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 11:13:21 PM »
The ghost npc battles on the ghost train come to mind. I've yet to test if this patch fixes those as well, but I was hoping so as it looks just as bad as the camera can go past the normal map mask/border, I think.

I actually don't remember them in quite that way. As I recall, you have to actually talk to them to start a battle with them, and the camera doesn't move.

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »
Wouldn't any battle initiated by NPC contact be subject to this bug?

119 bugs fixed and counting.

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 02:11:36 PM »
Wouldn't any battle initiated by NPC contact be subject to this bug?

Yes, except the only case(s) where it's actually a problem are in the White Drgn room, and whatever case(s) Imzogelmo referred to. My understanding is that camera movement prior to battles initiated by NPC contact is actually intentional, particularly in the "save Terra" and "save the Esper" missions, which are the 3-party defense missions. It's intended to provide a focus on the party that's about to engage in battle. In those cases, however, it's allowable because the maps are large enough to provide space for camera movement, not to mention the camera does move back afterward. The reason it's a problem in the White Drgn room is that the map is so small that the camera is fixed by default, so it's a problem if the camera moves because it won't move back.

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
Actually, I seem to recall a bug with the camera in the Snowfield siege battle. But I think it had to do with the initiation of the siege, rather than battles triggering it.

In any event, nice job on fixing a relatively minor error. :childish:

119 bugs fixed and counting.

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
I know there's a bug with one of the NPCs during the siege (see also: this post), but it's not related to this. Is that what you're referring to?

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage