Author Topic: Too many in-Battle Loopholes  (Read 2020 times)

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
Re: Too many in-Battle Loopholes
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 03:24:50 AM »
I wouldn't call 50-60k HP per piece on the final boss low per se
I'm sorry but its very, very LOW. Compare this number to Safer∙Sephiroth (FF7) - up to 400k. If you check Sephiroth HP modifiers, they change by a margin of 30k, which is half max posible HP in FF5. I'm not going even to mention how much HP has Ruby or Emerald ...

It's not like they could have gone much higher with the 65.535 HP cap.
There is an easy fix .. add 1 byte and voala.

I'd say overall the biggest flaw is the importance/power of the level stat.
I really hate to argue with personal preferences, but c'mon m8, this is one of THE BEST feature of the whole FF series. In FF size ... I mean level does matter :D

And that is a common sense, not just among FF fans. Have you played some of facebook MMOs? I played one and on level 300 I was much stronger then people with level 1000+. Actually in many of these games its BAD to level fast, because you are weak for PvP. Why? The problem is: level doesnt matter (or has a minimal influence). But common players rush to level up ... because they would expect the opposite :)

Again you are sliding on the wrong curve: lets rework the whole battle-engine ... for what? To not kill fast boss XXX. Its much easier and convenient to add some HP here, change some levels there

Praetarius5018

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
I'm sorry but its very, very LOW. Compare this number to Safer∙Sephiroth (FF7) - up to 400k. If you check Sephiroth HP modifiers, they change by a margin of 30k, which is half max posible HP in FF5. I'm not going even to mention how much HP has Ruby or Emerald ...
it is low in absolute numbers, yes, but how much damage can the party do in "high HP bosses" games?
a quick google search tells me 12-18 hits of up to 9999 damage is possible, so stuff still dies in 4-8 attacks, is that an improvement?
on the flip side we may get bosses that are just tedious and boring; someone once said about a boss, forgot which one:
you can grind for 80 hours to beat the next boss in 5 minutes or spend the same time in the boss battle itself, neither are fun.

It's not like they could have gone much higher with the 65.535 HP cap.
There is an easy fix .. add 1 byte and voala.
and here goes the usual question with rom hacking: where to get the RAM for that?
I mean we could sacrifice a bit from (max) MP; from (max)MP's 2 bytes only 1.5 are for MP (0xFFF max is beyond what a player needs) and the rest goes to HP.
0xFFFFF HP, 1.048.575, still a huge chunk.

I really hate to argue with personal preferences, but c'mon m8, this is one of THE BEST feature of the whole FF series. In FF size ... I mean level does matter :D

Again you are sliding on the wrong curve: lets rework the whole battle-engine ... for what? To not kill fast boss XXX. Its much easier and convenient to add some HP here, change some levels there
there's level has no influence and here's level is way too strong. Some middle ground would be nice.
In the current system you can almost ignore HP once you want to get dirty with the numbers of level modification.
65k, 1m, 4.2b, doesn't matter in the face of that.

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 06:52:42 PM »
... so stuff still dies in 4-8 attacks, is that an improvement?
Believe me its a huge difference over 1 hit kill Omega or kill Shinryu in 1 round :D

on the flip side we may get bosses that are just tedious and boring
I assume you mean long fight ... but there is no such thing like boring fight against optional bosses. The longer it take, the more likely you are dead  :laugh:

someone once said about a boss, forgot which one:
you can grind for 80 hours to beat the next boss in 5 minutes or spend the same time in the boss battle itself, neither are fun.
Don't listen to that guy I bet he is Counter Strike fan and he has no clue what a good RPG is :D

Seriously I have spend 1-2h to beat Emerald (1000000 HP) for the first time and it was FUN. I have spend a week or more in order to
prepare and kill it in 1 shot - and it was ORGASM. In both cases the satisfaction of overcoming a high obstacle is something that is hard to express with words.

The truth is, I did the second challenge, because there was another 'professor' (like the one that you quoted) who insisted that overflow glitch can be done only with 64k+ kills from Vinsent. I did a fast calc and saw that it can be done much, much easier with 17.5k and thus the video was created.

P.S. I really enjoy this conversation. But if there is no practical application it will become just bla-bla. Because you said:
In the current system you can almost ignore HP once you want to get dirty with the numbers of level modification.
I dare you: prove your words with a video - Defeat Enuo. If you manage to pull level modifications I will admit that you are right - battle engine needs reworking. If you can't then you must admit that I'm right and the battle engine is good enough, but design of the bosses in the original FF5 is not good :D
The admitting must be in a written form by a separate post!

Kea

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 11:19:39 PM »
I do not see how the majority of the boss battles would be improved by piling on the hitpoints; some of the Rift bosses do have too little health, but on the whole this aspect is well tuned. It's a credit to FF5's developers that they allowed for a savvy player to figure out alternative approaches to boss fights, rather than simply trading blows over and over. Even Omega has two purpose-built weaknesses, the Lightning element and song magic. If the player figures out how to combine abilities and equipment to deal 65,000 damage in a single round, I say they've earned their victory.

The Advance bonus dungeon bosses are a different matter, because there you're obviously expected to have grinded out the power combos and have all the best gear, so the bosses are balanced to match what a fully-powered up party is capable of. In the main game, you're not going to get much more than 2,000 ABP per character without stopping to grind.

And if 65K HP is very low, you should take a look at FF1. Chaos only has 2,000 hitpoints, and bonus boss WarMECH only 1,000, but you'd be hard pressed to claim that Safer Sephiroth is thousands of times harder to defeat than either of those two.

Praetarius5018

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »
on the flip side we may get bosses that are just tedious and boring
I assume you mean long fight ... but there is no such thing like boring fight against optional bosses. The longer it take, the more likely you are dead  :laugh:
I DO mean boring. If it takes over 10 minutes - what new will happen in the next 20 minutes? Buffs will be set at this point, only few of which can be removed, and if every boss spams dispels that would just be boring again.

And if 65K HP is very low, you should take a look at FF1. Chaos only has 2,000 hitpoints, and bonus boss WarMECH only 1,000, but you'd be hard pressed to claim that Safer Sephiroth is thousands of times harder to defeat than either of those two.
2k? way too high. Try Megaman 7, the final boss has 32 HP and or SMW 6(!) HP.
More seriously, I want to say there's a few RPGs where the final boss has about 100 HP.
Medabots has about 200 I think.

P.S. I really enjoy this conversation. But if there is no practical application it will become just bla-bla. Because you said:
I dare you: prove your words with a video - Defeat Enuo. If you manage to pull level modifications I will admit that you are right - battle engine needs reworking. If you can't then you must admit that I'm right and the battle engine is good enough, but design of the bosses in the original FF5 is not good :D
The admitting must be in a written form by a separate post!
I don't care enough about this to make a vid.
As long as level "cap" is 255, you can just feed a few dragon powers and then it ends; 65k HP, 1m HP, doesn't matter. Or rather with high HP that move gets even better.
I don't recall any way to lower or bypass magic defense, but that stat alone is NOT a good way to counter LvX tricks as that invalidates almost everything that isn't pure damage.
At 100+ magic evasion you might as well have general boss immunity and that's a trope I hate like the plague.

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 04:19:13 AM »
I do not see how the majority of the boss battles would be improved by piling on the hitpoints;
Easy: more HP = longer fight. The longer the fight is, more likely you will die or end up healing, restoring,... in general make it harder. Hard fight = fun, easy fight = disappointment.

And if 65K HP is very low, you should take a look at FF1. Chaos only has 2,000 hitpoints
Hehe thank you for that. FF1 is good example to my point "Low HP bosses is a major flaw". It seems that developers has spotted that too. So they corrected it:
 - NES - 2k HP
 - PS1 - 4k HP
 - GBA - 20k HP

noisecross

• FF5 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 06:14:43 AM »
So... what is this argue about?
I mean, you are mixing "fun", "difficult" and "unbalanced stats", but the main topic was "reworking the battle engine cause the level stat is overpowered".

Well, we shouldn't focus on fun because there are people who think battles are fun when:
  • It is long and you can lost at any moment
  • It is short but requires strategy and good choices
  • The engine allows the player to do battles more or less difficult depending on the style
  • The engine allows the player to break the battles (yes, a lot of people love doing this)

I played this game many times, with different aproaches and strategies and I found it fun as it is.
A person which is not familiar with the engine can beat the game founding it challenging, but not difficult, and that is right, isn't it?
Me, as an "expert" player, can choose if I want a short, long, difficult or easy battles, and that is also right.

Said that, we must admit the level is indeed overpowered, but only unbalanced when we talk about LvXXXX abilities.
(Way less unbalanced than Vanish+Death in FF6 by the way.)
If you really, REALLY find this must be reworked, just rewriting the scripts for "Lv2 Old", "Dark Shock" and maybe "Lv5 Death" should be more than enough.
Just set the 'heavy' types as inmune to these spells.

Praetarius5018

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
I do not see how the majority of the boss battles would be improved by piling on the hitpoints;
Easy: more HP = longer fight. The longer the fight is, more likely you will die or end up healing, restoring,... in general make it harder. Hard fight = fun, easy fight = disappointment.
Ok but "more HP" is only one aspect of this.
1000 HP vs 20 average damage
10000 HP vs 200 average damage
100000 HP vs 2000 average damage
is there really any difference? no, all take on average 50 hits to kill except the numbers get bigger.
so the difficulty is the same.
yes it is cooler to rapid fire for 8x 31648 damage than 8x 317 but that is another issue.
so I personally went the opposite route and nerfed the damage or at least made it much harder to hit 9999 damage.
if you can't rise one lower the other.

Well, we shouldn't focus on fun because there are people who think battles are fun when:
  • It is long and you can lost at any moment
  • It is short but requires strategy and good choices
  • The engine allows the player to do battles more or less difficult depending on the style
  • The engine allows the player to break the battles (yes, a lot of people love doing this)
or partially all of the above some of the time.
some just want to go all out but then hit bosses that are as usual immune to everything...
on that note... when was the last time I even used poison...

Said that, we must admit the level is indeed overpowered, but only unbalanced when we talk about LvXXXX abilities.
I'd argue even outside of LvNuke level (manipulation) is too powerful. Sure for monster it mostly only affects magic stuff but...
If hit a boss with black shock and he was lv 90 he just lost 45% chance to hit with status effects (or anything that rolls against magic evade),
while he is now similarly more vulnerable to status effects he isn't immune to.
Any magic damage will also take a huge dive.

If you really, REALLY find this must be reworked, just rewriting the scripts for "Lv2 Old", "Dark Shock" and maybe "Lv5 Death" should be more than enough.
Just set the 'heavy' types as inmune to these spells.
I'd file this under "bad solutions".
I'm personally very ok with it if there's a individual, *creative* way to Lv5 death a boss:
whether you spent 30 minutes in the fight to whack him to death or 25 minutes with a calculator and then 5 minutes of applying the tactic, both are 30 minutes of "boss time".

I'm - again personal decision - against blanket solutions like "13x Dragon Power + Lv5 death gets all" or "give all bosses 120% magic evade just because".
I'm also strongly against make everything useless against bosses that isn't straight up damage.

Theoretically we could require a check against death immunity for Lv5 death but that makes no sense, with that Lv5 death would be worse on single target than regular death effects.

Praetarius5018

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »
But of course, in the first place for the Dark Shock to work on a monster with level 239, you would need to be at least on level 174...:
(Hit% = Spell Hit% + Attacker Level - Target Level = Lv + 66 - 239 = Lv - 173)
I might misinterpret the code but the "level" used by the attacker is capped at 99, so that level would even be as good as immune.
And target level uses the actual level + song level with no check against overflow? Square strikes again.
Now just to find a way to get the song bonus to the enemy side...

Code: [Select]
Magic accuracy (Hit = Attacker Level + Hit - Target Level, Evade = Magic Evade)
C2/7C0D: A6 32        LDX $32
C2/7C0F: 18           CLC
C2/7C10: A5 57        LDA $57
C2/7C12: 6D E5 7B     ADC $7BE5     (Level + Spell Hit% but capped at 99)
C2/7C15: 85 0E        STA $0E
C2/7C17: A6 49        LDX $49
C2/7C19: 18           CLC
C2/7C1A: BD 02 20     LDA $2002,X
C2/7C1D: 7D 78 20     ADC $2078,X   (Level + Level Bonus due to Hero Song)
C2/7C20: 85 0F        STA $0F
C2/7C22: 38           SEC
C2/7C23: A5 0E        LDA $0E
C2/7C25: E5 0F        SBC $0F
C2/7C27: B0 04        BCS $7C2D
C2/7C29: A9 01        LDA #$01      (Min Hit% = 1)
C2/7C2B: 80 06        BRA $7C33
C2/7C2D: C9 63        CMP #$63
C2/7C2F: 90 02        BCC $7C33
C2/7C31: A9 63        LDA #$63      (Max Hit% = 99)
C2/7C33: 85 4E        STA $4E
C2/7C35: BD 2E 20     LDA $202E,X   (Evade = Magic Evade%)
C2/7C38: 85 4F        STA $4F
C2/7C3A: 60           RTS

edit:
we actually DO now the enemies initial level, it is saved in their "current stamina".
Code: [Select]
$C2/3FD6 BD 1E 3F    LDA $3F1E,x[$7E:3F1E]   A:0000 X:0000 Y:0000 P:envMxdIZC
$C2/3FD9 99 02 22    STA $2202,y[$7E:2202]   A:0007 X:0000 Y:0000 P:envMxdIzC - level
$C2/3FDC 99 2A 22    STA $222A,y[$7E:222A]   A:0007 X:0000 Y:0000 P:envMxdIzC - current stamina
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:40:28 AM by Praetarius5018 »

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2017, 05:32:26 PM »
Random time to chime in:

Creating a "super boss" can be an interesting task. You obviously want it to be beatable, but you want it to be really tough, but also not just a slogfest. I see "I want this boss to have 200,000!" and Yiazmat comes to mind. If you haven't played FF12, that's an optional super boss that has 51 million HP. Yes, million. The max damage you can do is 9999. You can do some math for that.

FF7 is famous for the first set of "big HP" super bosses: Emerald and Ruby weapons. Emerald I believe having 1,000,000, while Ruby having about 800,000 HP respectively. Are they tough? Sure. But as with any game, usually you just need to do some kind of prep work to either mitigate the toughness, or just outright smack them across their preverbial faces. As you can see in the videos, Ruby and Emerald never really pose a threat.

FF5 vanilla has 2 super bosses (Omega & Shinryu respectively), with HP around 50,000 each. Both can be severely cheesed, and both can lay some extreme smack onto you. Now, if their HP was about 300,000 each, then they wouldn't be any harder with the same context. The fights would just take longer, because it's being dragged out. That's artificial difficulty.

In FF6, giangurglo released a patch that allows damage to go up to 32,000, but the scope of the engine hasn't changed. Basically, it's just inflated numbers. You can also do a max damage round of 79,992 in vanilla, with a couple setups. This kind of over-powered will kill any monster in the game.

In either case, "loops" can be created to simulate having more than the current 16-bit limit of HP. However, both games have bugs that pretty much let the player get around that. However, you're again creating artificial difficulty, since the scope of the engine isn't changing.

MetroidMst commented on something similar with a n00bish Super Metroid hack, in which the core game hadn't really changed, but Kraid had about 14 times his normal health, and the fight took about 20 minutes to complete. Nothing else was changed about the fight.
"bosses should wreck players and not because they take 20 minutes"

Balance is a very tricky thing. You want to be firm, but also fair. "Challenge" isn't a drag-out, it's just dragging out the inevitable.

119 bugs fixed and counting.

Praetarius5018

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2017, 03:44:08 AM »
under that context, how would you evaluate the following "solution":
bosses (or enemies in general) are still stuck with a max of 65k HP BUT they have "extra lives", 0-15 depending on enemy.
When HP is depleted, either by damage or a death effect, HP is refilled to max and one live is lost.
To make it less of a boring HP mass, on each live loss some stats may rise a bit, so as you pass each HP barrier the fight gets more dangerous.
The live calculation takes place not when damage is applied but after the turn ends, so !X-Fight can only take 1 live never everything at once with its potential 79.992 damage, neither can !X-Magic.

1) instant death attacks like our mathematical problem Lv5 death no longer end boss fights outright (unless it is a 0 live boss), only accelerates it.
1b) if you went the "buff to L255" route you will have a serious damage race on both sides since his high level means high damage

2) it allows us to go further than mr lazy-design-enuo "max stats, a level that is prime enough for LvX purposes, 3 actions per turn, double immunity to everything and every high level spell in the book".
Vulnerability to petrify on a final boss? Why not, it only solves 1/16 of the fight per hit.
Poison against a mass of 1m HP? Yes, please!

3) as written above, it limits how broken certain actions can become compared to others.
take a potential boss of 9999 HP with 15 lives, 150k HP is way more than vanilla could have; rapid fire can't deal more than 9999 effective damage at once but so can every other move in the game.

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2017, 07:18:10 AM »
What would be more realistic, and I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, is implementing a third byte for HP. FF5 has far fewer systems in place than FF6 did, so it wouldn't be nearly as difficult to implement. Damage/healing, Vampire (falls under damage/healing), exploder (figuring monster HP for damage), white wind (figuring monster HP for healing), some AI commands that determine actions based on HP, and Libra. Then again, with FF5's engine the way it is currently, you're still going to have the same problems as listed before.

For comparison, Pandora's Box (hey who remembers that?) has three bytes for enemy HP, but the max HP even the hardest super boss has is only about 152,000. That's also because we significantly changed the scope of the engine so the numbers aren't all over the place. Sure, there's potential for an enemy to have 16 million HP, but we, as devs, recognized that would just be stupid because the boss would never be killed, or it would take too long to be worth doing.

bosses (or enemies in general) are still stuck with a max of 65k HP BUT they have "extra lives", 0-15 depending on enemy.
As I have already mentioned, since your only goal is to drag things out, it would only create artificial difficulty.

To make it less of a boring HP mass, on each live loss some stats may rise a bit, so as you pass each HP barrier the fight gets more dangerous.
In which case the only form you need to prepare for is the last one. Everything before it is just fluff for you to waste time on. See Archeoaevis. On a certain scale, also Omega Mk II, but all he does is auto-full-heal if you don't OHKO him.

The live calculation takes place not when damage is applied but after the turn ends, so !X-Fight can only take 1 live never everything at once with its potential 79.992 damage, neither can !X-Magic.
So, vanilla.

I get what you want to do, but the approach probably needs a new angle. Too hard, and nobody will want to put the work in to do it. Story required? Congrats, you created something nobody will finish. Too long? Other things to fill time. Unfortunately, making changes to the engine affects the entire game, and would effectively have to be rebalanced as a result. Not something I would want to do, as I'm sure you don't either.

As a side note, this is what makes the four-job fiesta so much fun. You can be so limited but still not really have an issue of finishing the game, or the super bosses it throws at you. At minimum, Shinryu can almost always die. Omega can a chunk of the time as well.

119 bugs fixed and counting.

Praetarius5018

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »
What would be more realistic, and I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, is implementing a third byte for HP. FF5 has far fewer systems in place than FF6 did, so it wouldn't be nearly as difficult to implement.
Whether the 3rd byte is purely an additional digit to HP or "lives" or whatever changes nothing on how realistic it is to implement.
In fact I only had to edit three functions for that. For pure HP I'd have to touch many, many more..

As I have already mentioned, since your only goal is to drag things out, it would only create artificial difficulty.
MY goal is to keep more options relevant than just damage without making them an instant win.
Currently I can't really allow the average boss to be vulnerable to petrify, even with a lowish chance, because 1 hit killing "every" boss is kind of a letdown.
Same for death and what have you.
With that, half the gameplay options are dead = unfun.
You know the cliche, random mobs have so little HP, poisoning makes no sense, so you'd want to use that against high HP targets, e.g. bosses; but those are 99% immune, so why does that even exist in my skill list.
I can't recall ever being happy about using a poison skill, no matter the game.
Death effects were often dead weight too.
FF5 is one of rare games where that at least has some use via Lv5 shenanigans (or bugs).
OT: I plan to allow "resisted" status effects against an RNG role (still involving stats), so that may taint my view on this matter a bit.

In which case the only form you need to prepare for is the last one. Everything before it is just fluff for you to waste time on. See Archeoaevis. On a certain scale, also Omega Mk II, but all he does is auto-full-heal if you don't OHKO him.
The first "form" might be more dangerous as you had no chance to apply buffs or debuffs in whatever form yet. Status moves, percentage moves and random-damage types don't really scale, so they remain equally threatening.
Then there's also the attrition aspect; the more the fight goes on the more you get the feeling "he have to kill him NOW".

Most importantly, it tells the player that he is making progress. Very few take Scan or use it, heavy is immune to percantage damage and otherwise there's no tell how far you are in the fight, so whether you are 2 HP from a victory or only 50% in, no idea. But that way you have at least a little info that you're getting ahead, at the start you took 2000 damage, after a while 2100, now 2200.

So, vanilla.
Not really what I meant.
Vanilla caluclates all damage before the animation even starts, so if I put the "live calculation" (HP refill live subtraction, stats, etc.) there X-Fight could theoretically deplete multiple lives in one action, making it again just "more HP". I guess we both agree that just a huge wall of HP is boring/bad design; a 5 hour fight where victory was almost guaranteed after 3 minutes -> trash
Instead I put it before something that leads to the dissolve animation/AI death triggers if HP is 0.

Yes it allows for unnecessarily high HP (16x 65.535) but that's not the intent, rather maybe a bit more HP than vanilla but split over multiple stages.
60k could become 6x 12k; no more 1 hit k.o. via overpowered x-fight and death might be a viable status effect as you'd have to hit 6 times with it.

Worst case, there's always the nuclear option of mix to L255 then L5 death a few times, worst case 30 turns. Kills any motivation to make a pure HP pile :p
Unless I'm horribly misreading the damage calculation, level for that is capped at 99, so the increase of danger during this course is limited.

I get what you want to do, but the approach probably needs a new angle. Too hard, and nobody will want to put the work in to do it.
Excuse me, but do you mean too hard for the player or the maker?

LightPhoenix

• FF5 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
What would be more realistic, and I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, is implementing a third byte for HP. FF5 has far fewer systems in place than FF6 did, so it wouldn't be nearly as difficult to implement. Damage/healing, Vampire (falls under damage/healing), exploder (figuring monster HP for damage), white wind (figuring monster HP for healing), some AI commands that determine actions based on HP, and Libra. Then again, with FF5's engine the way it is currently, you're still going to have the same problems as listed before.

It's a little more difficult than that, since HP is checked in numerous places... but not stupidly so.  Superficially, you just need to find all the checks for HP and alter them.  The bigger problem would be places where the same code checks both monster HP and player HP.  You'd need special code to handle those cases.  Also, depending on how you layout the extra byte, you might need some added code to handle offset conversions.

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2017, 05:05:30 AM »
What would be more realistic, and I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, is implementing a third byte for HP.
Hehe I said that in the very beginning:  "... add 1 byte and voala."

You can also do a max damage round of 79,992 in vanilla, with a couple setups. This kind of over-powered will kill any monster in the game.
Indeed. With such power you need worthy opponent ... somebody with at least couple of times 80k HP :)

Regardless current battle engine is good enough. With a little bit of creativeness and maybe few tweaks in the design you can produce an interesting boss battle like Enuo.