It's been 5 years since my last update. I have worked on OF here and there, but I haven't been able to dedicate enough time to it to really get anywhere.
The most exciting thing I was able to do was export maps from the FF1 ROM to a custom format, and render them in OpenGL, which was the first major milestone of the map engine.
I also did dumps of most of the game's data, including all the sprites. The code should put all of this into an FF1 folder if you run it with an FF1 ROM. The intent was to eventually spin that off to a separate tool that would create a "quest" folder with all of the data necessary for your FF1 quest. This would let you play the original game in the engine, or of course tweak it to your heart's content.
I kept the code private because I had specific goals I wanted the project to meet, and specific things I did not want it to become. However, since I will probably never be able to get it to a releasable state on my own, I've decided to release the source code.
There is no license for this code. Anyone is free to use it however they want. I've also uploaded it to GitHub if people would like to collaborate on the project. I won't be accepting pull requests, anyone is free to fork the repo and "manage" the project from there.https://github.com/Entroper/OriginalFantasy
I obviously can't provide any official support, but if you want to ask questions, the best route to do so is probably with GitHub issues in my fork.
For the map engine project, you'll need SDL.dll, which was too big to include in an attachment here. I was using version 1.2.13 when the project was running.