Author Topic: Change and Parry Text  (Read 851 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
Change and Parry Text
« on: September 29, 2015, 04:51:21 PM »
While doing some hexing I came across (what I assume to be) the name texts used for the Change and Parry commands inbattle (located at line 7AA40 in headered ROM).  I noticed that Change was spelled out as "Chang" while "Parry" was spelled out in full.

Well, I renamed "Chang" to Shift, and "Parry" to Guard and went to test my changes ingame.  Oddly enough, the cammand names where still their orignal names, and my changes had no effext.

Is there something I've overlooked that's neccessary for my name changes to take effect? I couldn't find any other instances of "Change" or "Parry" using text searches, so I'm not particularly sure what's going on.
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Change and Parry Text
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 07:32:02 PM »
While doing some hexing I came across (what I assume to be) the name texts used for the Change and Parry commands inbattle (located at line 7AA40 in headered ROM).  I noticed that Change was spelled out as "Chang" while "Parry" was spelled out in full.

Well, I renamed "Chang" to Shift, and "Parry" to Guard and went to test my changes ingame.  Oddly enough, the cammand names where still their orignal names, and my changes had no effext.

Is there something I've overlooked that's neccessary for my name changes to take effect? I couldn't find any other instances of "Change" or "Parry" using text searches, so I'm not particularly sure what's going on.

Strange to hear that "Parry" was spelled out in full. Parry in particular, as I recall is in the system as "Pary" and ASM writes the extra "r". Change is difficult to say... I was under the impression that changing "Chang" would be the key as well. No luck on that then?

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 01:38:09 PM »

Strange to hear that "Parry" was spelled out in full. Parry in particular, as I recall is in the system as "Pary" and ASM writes the extra "r". Change is difficult to say... I was under the impression that changing "Chang" would be the key as well. No luck on that then?

Sadly changing "Chang" to "Shift" had no effect either (if it had, it would have shown up as "Shifte" haha).

Hmm, if Parry is "Pary" in the system, I should text search for that instead...

Eureka! turns out it's hiding at B7D90 (headered)! Which means that the command names at the other offset I mentioned earlier go to either something else entirely.... or nothing at all.  :wtf:

Fingers are crossed....

Oh wow. Looks like the "a" in "Pary" is used for spelling out "Change" as well.   So I end up up with "Shuift" and "Guaad".  I kind of figured it would turn out like that, and it was funny to see.

Seems my idea of simply changing their names isn't quite so simple after all lol.  With that in mind, I imagine the "Need MP" is set up the same way, so changing that to "MP Cost" would prove a bit more difficult than I  assumed as well.

I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

Spindaboy

• Guard Leader
  • I need more sleep.
    • View Profile
    • SyndROMe Hacking
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 02:00:19 PM »
I know this hasn't been discussed in quite some time, but did anyone ever figure out a better way to modify these two commands? Could it be done via an ASM routine?