Author Topic: Monsters die slowly...  (Read 3187 times)

C. V. Reynolds

• Magissa & Forza
  • Dog controls your destiny. Grrr!
    • View Profile
    • cvreynolds.net
Re: Monsters die slowly...
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 12:49:31 AM »
Hoi.

I'm getting the black flashing on the top half of the screen during enemy death too. I'm using the most recent build of bsnes-plus, which uses a modern bsnes/higan core. That pretty much confirms the presence of an error in the patch.

(And likely a zsnes error, if that's what you use...)
I'm the former Hollywood Narrator from GameFAQs.

I'm a published novelist! My novels "Universe Eleven Series - Blue Ruin" Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 are for sale on Amazon (check my website) in print and ebook formats!

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
    • Leet Sketcher's Final Fantasy III Patches
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 01:06:31 PM »
I am using ZSNES, but I've also tried using SNES9x, against monsters in the Wind Temple, and I'm still not seeing a problem.

Maybe my ROM is fine, but there's still an error in the patch somewhere. I do already know that it speeds some things up unintentionally, such as the boss death animation. I'll be sure to fix that too.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »
OK, I found the problem. The "free space" added is in the wrong place. I will release an update ASAP.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Gildor from The Lord of the Rings

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 06:08:22 PM »
I wonder, in your calculations, do you use 7E:3ED9?

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 12:16:40 AM »
OK, I've fixed the black strobe issue you guys are having, and I've also restored the other dissolve animations to their normal values...except the boss death one, which goes twice as fast, but can be fully restored manually by just changing one JMP. The ASM file explains everything.

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 12:17:26 AM »

No, I don't. I have no idea what that RAM is for. Why?

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 02:23:03 AM »

No, I don't. I have no idea what that RAM is for. Why?
O boy, I was afraid of that ... I skimmed trough your posted code and could not find any reference to $3ED9, thats why I asked.

In short $3ED9 plays as multiplier to events counters. You may see more info here: http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=2190.msg25026#msg25026

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 11:30:17 AM »
I see... Right away there are a couple of problems I notice, for example there are actually eleven bytes there that are used, supposedly for different purposes, so I'd have to experiment to find the one that affects the dissolve animation. Another problem is that those values are taken from a place in the ROM, so how can I be sure that changing them won't affect something else?

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 03:26:50 PM »
I see... Right away there are a couple of problems I notice, for example there are actually eleven bytes there that are used, supposedly for different purposes...
11 is not a random number. It represent all possible timers a char can have. So if you check carefully what I linked, most of the listed table are multiple of 11. In the posts earlier there is a good description for the meaning of each.
Same for 12. 12 is the max numbers of participants in a battle 4 chars  8 enemies.

so I'd have to experiment to find the one that affects the dissolve animation
My personal guess - none of this. Its probably connected to the real timer (hardware), that all others share derived by code (software).

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »
so I'd have to experiment to find the one that affects the dissolve animation
My personal guess - none of this. Its probably connected to the real timer (hardware), that all others share derived by code (software).

If I'm going to modify the timers, I'd want to do it in a way that speeds up the dissolve animation and does not touch anything else. If I can't do that, then there's no point in even bringing it up. What I saw in the dissolve animation code was that C1/FD27, the frame update function, was being called 64 times. Reducing the number of calls is what speeds up that animation.

13375K31C43R

• Dadaluma
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »
:bump: OK, I somehow neglected a vital JSR replacement, which is in fact the one that makes this actually work. I've fixed this now. Sorry everyone, this was just now brought to my attention.

Praetarius5018

• Antlion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 12:18:14 PM »
err... I'm still getting flickering with the IPS patches of the latest zips

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 08:34:43 AM »
When it comes to assembly, Zsnes should never be used to test to see if it works. bsnes (especially the accuracy core), Snes9x and/or bizhawk will be the emulators you want to test things on.

In fact, when it comes to testing in general, Zsnes shouldn't be used. :hmm:

119 bugs fixed and counting.

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 03:16:21 AM »
Why is that Lenophis? Zsnes doesnt parse/execute processor commands correctly?

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 05:37:26 PM »
Zsnes used many hacks in it's to speed up several games to run better on older systems. Generally, it is pretty relaxed on timing issues. So anything that needs specific timing, such as HDMA effects, should not be tested on Zsnes.

119 bugs fixed and counting.