Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35784 times)

TheBigT2000

• Siren
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (The Preview)
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2015, 09:09:05 PM »
I never said anything about you imagining some steamy action between the two. XD
I was implying some sort of cheesy love story. Fanfiction isn't always about sex y'know. XD
And you have a point there, albeit Maduin is an Esper not a monster but close enough.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2015, 09:37:37 PM »
Admittedly, the cat ears and tail are there to invoke a very specific animanga concept that - my understanding is - appeals to a particular lonelyboy sensibility of a fairly large portion of fans of the genre (not to downplay how much of a geek I am, but believe it or not, I can't stand manga and I've never watched anime, unless Avatar: The Last Airbender counts). In my mind, though, they're costume pieces, not body parts.

TheBigT2000

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »
I guess that makes sense. Also, allow me to recommend some anime that I enjoy: Sword Art Online, Soul Eater, Space Dandy, Black Lagoon, Danmachi, and Hellsing Ultimate.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2015, 01:54:26 PM »
So I'm working on the next scene, a boss battle that takes place on the ship as it sails back to Eblan from Mysidia (after the battle with Shiva and Indra on Mt. Ordeals).

I got a little bored midway through writing the event so I decided to have some fun.

This is obviously not what will happen in the final product, but I had to document this, because it made me giggle like a child.
Hopefully it will do the same for you.

Let's Get Kraken!

:laugh:

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
Haha! Wow, that did come out of nowhere, you must have been quite bored to turn the event into that.

All in all though the event is looking great and you even went through the extra effort of making the Ship Tileset usable! Great work!

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2015, 05:17:32 PM »
Yea shoot that over to me.  I will play around with it to find a good looking font.  :)

I haven't forgot!  Just been swamped at work.  :(

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2015, 05:47:30 PM »
Yea shoot that over to me.  I will play around with it to find a good looking font.  :)

I haven't forgot!  Just been swamped at work.  :(
No worries, man. Get to it when you get to it.
What I have now works for what it is.
I'm probably still at least a year away from having a "final" product.

Haha! Wow, that did come out of nowhere, you must have been quite bored to turn the event into that.

All in all though the event is looking great and you even went through the extra effort of making the Ship Tileset usable! Great work!
Yeah, I had already done some work on the dock tiles way back before tileset editing was available in FF4kster, but this scene gets to be considerably more playable - as opposed to being primarily a cut scene - thanks to FF4kster's capabilities (duh, how many times have I said that before?). I really enjoy the fact that I could put treasure in some of the barrels.
The actual boss battle came out really nice, too. I had a bit of a time making it a fair challenge both with and without Palom and Porom in the party, since depending on the player's epic choice they may or may not be along at this point in the game.
I worked in a little fix that evens out the playing field, though.
Kinda dreading starting the next chapter... It's going to be a massive amount of work, because it will take the player to Baron town, Baron castle, Mist by way of the cave, Kaipo by way of a new dungeon (that I will have to build from scratch), Damcyan (which I will pretty much have to build from scratch) by way of the watery pass, then finally the Antlion cave.
Oddly enough, writing all the location dialogue is probably going to be the worst part... Maybe I'll just start off doing it like Pinkpuff did for Unprecedented Crisis, and work the townsfolk's lines in little by little.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2015, 12:54:22 PM »
Demo update!

Barring any major flubs that may crop up, this is the version that I plan to put up on the RHDN board for (hopefully) a larger playtesting pool.

New in this version:
  • Training Room - finally something to see down those stairs in the Eblan Barracks, and some cool stuff goes on there...
  • Kraken Battle - following the events in Mysidia/Mt. Ordeals, a sea monster attacks the ship as it sails back to Eblan, and it's Furio and company to the rescue (no dance number this time - sorry)!
  • Demo actually "ends" (but you have the option to continue walking around)
  • Various bug fixes and clean-ups thanks to previous play testing

Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within version 0.3.2b

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2015, 12:57:21 AM »
I've been working on making the Dwarf Tank a driveable vehicle.
It'll still be a while before the game takes the player underground, but when it finally happens, it will be by way of an abandoned Bab-il. At the base of the tower, the heroes will find a disused tank from the original conflict. I've got it working, but there are still some details to iron out. Essentially, I'm trying to decide where the tank will be able to travel. The way I see it, it should have mobility that the player does not have on foot. I'm considering making it capable of traveling over the plateau tiles. Only problem with that is that it looks kind of silly, because the tank just rolls flatly onto what should be a separate elevation. I might be able to make the elevation increase slightly on a conditional basis but it would be a lot of work... I'm also toying with the idea of not having any extra mobility, but making "no encounters" the only benefit of driving the tank. I had this cool idea that the monsters on the Underworld map could be near impossible to defeat without weapons purchased/found underground (which could be accomplished by way of creature types, higher defense, and the "immunity" element).
Anyway, that's what I've been working on. I am picking away at the foundation for chapter 3, but it's slow going. There's a fundamental change I had to make to Baron castle for the purpose of the story. That's done now. Still lots to do, though...

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2015, 10:11:56 AM »
I've been working on making the Dwarf Tank a driveable vehicle.
It'll still be a while before the game takes the player underground, but when it finally happens, it will be by way of an abandoned Bab-il. At the base of the tower, the heroes will find a disused tank from the original conflict. I've got it working, but there are still some details to iron out. Essentially, I'm trying to decide where the tank will be able to travel. The way I see it, it should have mobility that the player does not have on foot. I'm considering making it capable of traveling over the plateau tiles. Only problem with that is that it looks kind of silly, because the tank just rolls flatly onto what should be a separate elevation. I might be able to make the elevation increase slightly on a conditional basis but it would be a lot of work... I'm also toying with the idea of not having any extra mobility, but making "no encounters" the only benefit of driving the tank. I had this cool idea that the monsters on the Underworld map could be near impossible to defeat without weapons purchased/found underground (which could be accomplished by way of creature types, higher defense, and the "immunity" element).
Anyway, that's what I've been working on. I am picking away at the foundation for chapter 3, but it's slow going. There's a fundamental change I had to make to Baron castle for the purpose of the story. That's done now. Still lots to do, though...

The Dwarf Tank idea is rather awesome all around. I would suggest taking one of the town tiles in the Underworld and turning that into a new sort of rough tile that's not quite stairs, but could be enough to show the player that a Tank could drive up it while feet could not scale it. Getting to the Underground through Babil is also a neat change of pace.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2015, 12:33:05 PM »
I would suggest taking one of the town tiles in the Underworld and turning that into a new sort of rough tile that's not quite stairs, but could be enough to show the player that a Tank could drive up it while feet could not scale it.
That's a good idea. I wonder if there are appropriate image tiles to use, though, or enough space to create something custom.

Getting to the Underground through Babil is also a neat change of pace.
Well, while the crater near Agart remains open, there are no airships that work at the onset of my game (but - spoiler alert - Luca's working on it down there), so they have to get down there somehow. I have big plans about redoing the tile graphics in the tower to be grown over with vines and cracking to suggest that the place is not functional anymore (sorta like ffv ruins).

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2015, 10:44:58 PM »
I wonder if there are appropriate image tiles to use, though, or enough space to create something custom.

... Oh, right - I'm not using the top of the tower of Bab-il. That'll be at least four graphic tiles that can be reappropriated.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Moon Flies Off FIXED!)
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2015, 01:00:20 PM »
Eureka!

I can't believe it was actually this easy...
The reason the Earth visuals in my Moon Flies Off visual effect weren't displaying properly is that the graphics for the spinning Earth are drawn from a bank of RAM (7E:8000-7E:B400 or so) that is written during the Mysidian Legend IN SPACE visual effect.
In vanilla FFIV, the Moon Flies Off effect never happens until the IN SPACE happens first, and since the game doesn't use this block of RAM in between the two, it doesn't bother to rewrite it before the Moon Flies Off effect runs.

In fact, it's the routine that writes this huge block of RAM that is what causes the long pause before the IN SPACE effect actually begins to run (that's the long pause you were talking about, Bahamut ZERO, so no - unfortunately that cannot be shortened unless you want your spinning earth to look weird).

So for my purposes, it's an easy fix... Instead of the Moon through the Telescope effect that I was using in my opening events, I'll run the IN SPACE effect... blank out the text, and shorten the amount of time the effect plays (which can be done by only changing one byte).

And voila! It works like a charm!

This has been an issue that's plagued me for quite literally years, and it's finally solved!
 :banonsmash:

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2015, 08:22:59 PM »
Congrats on figuring that out, Chillfeez!

In fact, it's the routine that writes this huge block of RAM that is what causes the long pause before the IN SPACE effect actually begins to run (that's the long pause you were talking about, Bahamut ZERO, so no - unfortunately that cannot be shortened unless you want your spinning earth to look weird).

It's alright, I've grown to like that pause haha.
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2015, 01:01:16 AM »
Since I know your hack is kinda parody, you might be interested in this, though: I figured out while working on Pinkpuff's one-moon issue that changing just one byte in the orbiting routine makes the planets orbit in a really wacky wobbly fashion. There really wouldn't be any serious use for it, but watching it made me laugh out loud. I don't have the info handy at the moment, but if that's something you'd be interested, I can dig it up again...