Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35786 times)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (The Preview)
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2015, 11:49:43 AM »
That is Really neat! I am glad to see that concept worked out. It really makes Aero into its own unique and powerful status, especially if you allow Float to be cast on enemies for a powerful combo attack. I am also glad that you got rid of that idiotic (is the enemy weak to Air? Then they're flying and avoiding Quake) check that FFIV does for some bizarre reason. What if I don't Want Birds weak to all Arrows and Spears, game? Eh, well at least you've dealt with this issue fully.

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2015, 02:30:32 PM »
Just got Threat rom Within set up on my PSP. That title screen looks amazing! And the option to have the ATB show up at the start of battle is very handy.

I'm going to get more into it  later, but I just had to stop what I was doing for a moment to do a couple fights and see how it looked off PSP.  It looks awesome. :finger:
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2015, 03:05:27 PM »
Great, Bahamut ZERO! I'll be interested to hear your feedback (good and bad - don't hold back).
Some changes have been made since Grimoire's recent play testing, but I haven't put a new patch out. I'm slowly but surely tackling everything Grimoire found.

A word of warning - don't go down the staircase in the Eblan Barracks. It will eventually lead to a training room that doesn't exist yet, so right now it leads to getting stuck in the northwest corner of Baron Town...

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »
Woah, this is some pretty crazy stuff! I've gotten to Mt Ordeals so far. Got iced by Shiva, but I'm pretty low leveled from just running to see what happens next haha.

First off, let me say that it runs great off of Snes9x for PSP! Here are some highlights of my playthrough So far(possible Spoilers):

1)  I like how the opening events flow together, showing the ending of events of FF4.  At first I was waiting for it to start before hitting a button and realizing the telescope visual was playing.

2) It's refreshing to start off as ninja rather than a Dark Knight. Ability to steal in the first fight? Sign me up!

3) Being able to hire a 2nd ninja for more looting fun? Oh boy! At this point I came across the staircase you mentioned.

4) Is that new music I hear at the docks?? I had no idea that was possible, if so!

5) Woah, boat travel!

6) I noticed the Eeny Meeny Miney Mo keys were really named after the song from FF8. I actually like the nod to FF8 a bit more lol.

7)Chocobos in the wild - simply awesome. Haven't caught one quite yet, but soon. Soon.

8) The text box that displays when Palom and Porom join is blank.

9) Sweet mother of jesus, I can run around as a Black Mage. Your hireling system kicks ass.

10) Enjoying the tough boss battles.

That about somes it up at the moment. I'll be hitting it up again later tonight,

I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2015, 07:13:05 PM »
1)  I like how the opening events flow together, showing the ending of events of FF4.  At first I was waiting for it to start before hitting a button and realizing the telescope visual was playing.

Would you say that the long wait at the beginning is confusing? I know it will be for a first-time player playing with the volume down, but I'm hoping the bell sound will serve to clue folks in that, yes, something is happening...

2) It's refreshing to start off as ninja rather than a Dark Knight. Ability to steal in the first fight? Sign me up!

3) Being able to hire a 2nd ninja for more looting fun? Oh boy! At this point I came across the staircase you mentioned.

Stealing will be a key element to acquiring some of the more rare equipment, too, as in ffix. I've altered the Steal ("pray I do not alter it any further" sorry, I couldn't help myself) routine so that when you steal from a boss once, all subsequent steals from them will yield cure potions.

4) Is that new music I hear at the docks?? I had no idea that was possible, if so!

Well, I figured out how. I wrote a tutorial about it, most of which can be found here.
It is an extremely complicated process, though. Ya gotta really want it...

6) I noticed the Eeny Meeny Miney Mo keys were really named after the song from FF8. I actually like the nod to FF8 a bit more lol.

Yeah... That's a remnant of half-changed info.
The original plan was Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec, but I had two reports from play testers who were completely flummoxed by the reference. Which, on its own, would have been fine with me, but then it came to light that the second player to report that was deaf. He literally had not heard and could not ever hear Liberi Fatali. Well, I don't want to ostricise players needlessly, so I changed to the more universal Eenie Meenie Miney Moe.

8) The text box that displays when Palom and Porom join is blank.

Hmm. That's the first I've heard of that. I'll have to see if it holds true for my ROM...

I've gotten to Mt Ordeals so far. Got iced by Shiva, but I'm pretty low leveled from just running to see what happens next haha.

So you chose to follow orders, huh? FYI, you can challenge the Eidolons without Palom and Porom, too, and the resulting battles and events play out very differently. When all is said and done, TfW will have at least two - possibly more - of these "epic choices."

You didn't say anything about it, so I'm wondering... Did you get a Limit Break yet?

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »
Would you say that the long wait at the beginning is confusing? I know it will be for a first-time player playing with the volume down, but I'm hoping the bell sound will serve to clue folks in that, yes, something is happening...

It was a little confusing for a second, yes, but the bell sound did clue me in. Since I was playing it first off of a PSP, I was thinking "Oh man, please don't be one of the scant few roms that won't play on this" before I noticed the music playing.

Stealing will be a key element to acquiring some of the more rare equipment, too, as in ffix. I've altered the Steal ("pray I do not alter it any further" sorry, I couldn't help myself) routine so that when you steal from a boss once, all subsequent steals from them will yield cure potions.

Right on! i like how you have it set up, as the first thing I tried to do was spam Steal for Emeralds.  Got a half dozen free cure1's though, which is nice right out of the gate in itself. :P

Well, I figured out how. I wrote a tutorial about it, most of which can be found here.
It is an extremely complicated process, though. Ya gotta really want it...

Ah, I see. In that case I'll bookmark the link and dive into that when I get a little farther along in my project. There's a couple tracks I woldn't mind replacing, lol.

So you chose to follow orders, huh? FYI, you can challenge the Eidolons without Palom and Porom, too, and the resulting battles and events play out very differently. When all is said and done, TfW will have at least two - possibly more - of these "epic choices."

You didn't say anything about it, so I'm wondering... Did you get a Limit Break yet?

Haha yeah,  my first time I chose to try to fight them off alone, followed by a reaming by Indra and his pals due to being unprepared (I should've brought a Black Mage with me instead of a healer). Afterwards I checked the arc for following the orders, and liked the thought of going back with a small army of magic users. Though, now that I think about it, I might go grab a new ninja and do some looting! Well, maybe after running around as a Black MAge, since I've wanted to do that in FF4 since I was a kid lmao.

No, I've yet see a Limit Break in action. But I can't wait to see one!

A couple comments/questions:

1) Didn't mention it yet, but I really like the work you've put into the character sprites/in battle sprites. Porom's OW sprite looks pretty much spot on for how she looks in TAY. And nice use of FF5 battle sprites! It made we want to try copy/posting
a Red Mage over Edward in my project, which failed hilariously, as well make me further appreciate the work you've done.

2) Is Furio's OW sprite seperate from Edge's sprite? 

3) Your Epic Choices system is... Epic! It reminds me of the freedom of choice when playing Chrono Cross. I wish FF4 had done this in few spots, like say in Fabul.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2015, 02:12:55 PM »
Heh... I cheated with a lot of OW and battle sprites. I don't really fancy myself much of a sprite artist. Porom is actually a palette swapped Rosa with a new hairstyle ;) Palom is all original, and while he's far from perfect, at least he's mine. You can't see her yet in this demo, but Kella the blue mage is the most exemplary of my triumphs and failures at sprite art. Her OW sprites are borderline stick figure, her battle sprites are OK, though they are largely stolen from Rydia, and her portrait is drop-dead gorgeous (uh, you know, for a 16-bit picture of a cartoonish face).

Yes, Furio's sprite is altered slightly, for a very specific reason.. Which has already been spoiled if you read back far enough in this thread.

To get a limit break, hang out in "critical" status for a while. There's a 25% chance every time your turn comes up when you're critical. You can defer with X if you want to try to force the issue. most characters have a unique limit skill (though Furio's and Blank's are the same, as are Palom and Porom and Black and White mages, respectively).

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2015, 12:33:16 PM »
Awesome, can't wait to get a glimpse of Kella down the line! I love the uniqueness that the editing of sprites can give to a project. I'm hoping there's a moogle or two to see in the demo. :D

Been leveling/looting to be ready to take on indra/Shiva. Haven't really bothered fighting them yet, mainly because I like slaughtering random hordes of mobs fot items.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »
You may wanna keep in mind the fact that monsters get stronger as you do. Once your average party level is more than 3\2 that of Shiva and Indra, they will get faster and stronger with more HP.

Kella won't show up until much later in the game... She's sorta the "adult Rydia" of this game (not to be confused with Adult Rydia, who is sorta the "Tellah" of this game).

And I'm sorry to say that moogles are even further down the line...

If you really want to see them, you can check out the (full) first demo I released, which is this game up to the battle with Jinn, then a character-testing area that allows you to play around with all playable characters. Some of the battle mechanics were still in the development phase at the time, so it plays slightly differently, but it'll be the only way to play as Avon (the hireling Bard), Ursula, Kella and Mog for quite a while (everybody else will show up by the next major demo release).
The link is in the first post on this thread (click back to the beginning of page 1). Unlike this more recent patch, the first demo patch should be applied to an UNheadered ROM.

TheBigT2000

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2015, 11:08:34 AM »
I have to say something about Kella, it makes no sense that she's the offspring of Leonora and The Dark Elf, because 1, the Dark Elf is dead, and 2, she looks nothing like either of them.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2015, 02:29:30 PM »
1) he was dead after the first FFIV but then came back in TAY, so...
2) her portrait has greyish skin and black eyes to suggest the monstrous lineage, aside from that, the resemblance to Leonora wasn't that important to me. She's dead, so it's up to the player's imagination how she would have looked in this particular episode... She's never been fully rendered in 16-bit graphics to my knowledge.

In general, I expected to get push back on the concept of any love story at all between Leonora and D Elf... Especially from "Palonora" shippers.
Until such time that I get to that part of the story, you'll just have to sit tight and trust that I will handle it well enough to work. The relationship, however, is nonnegotiable.

TheBigT2000

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »
But that wasn't the Dark Elf in The After Years, that was his spirit. And besides, even if he somehow WAS alive there, the Maenad kinda annihilated him.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Elf_(Final_Fantasy_IV)#Final_Fantasy_IV:_The_After_Years

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
You're splitting hairs.

What's more, the wiki article you linked contains conflicting information on the subject:
The spirit of the Dark Elf still resides in the Crystal Chamber of the Lodestone Cavern. It attacks Palom and Leonora when they enter the chamber to escape the Mysterious Girl...

The Dark Elf returns in The After Years, and is defeated by the Mysterious Girl after transforming into the Dark Dragon.

The version of the story I'm going with is that DE can revive himself an unknown amount of times. Or more accurately, I don't care about this particular detail enough for it to be discussed at all.

The end.

If you are that repulsed by the idea, you are more then welcome to not play my hack, but as I've said, I am not changing this essential element of my story. I'm sorry.

TheBigT2000

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2015, 06:22:19 PM »
I'm not particularly repulsed by the idea (other than the fact that it's borderline bestiality). It's just that there are a couple of wholes in your story. (Seeing as she has cat ears and a tail, while neither Leonora nor the Dark Elf have either of those.) Also, I don't know what kind of fanfiction is going through your head and I seriously don't want to. (God knows I can relate, seeing as I pair Maka and Asura from Soul Eater.)  :laugh:

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
Well, I disagree that there are plot holes that are worth considering, but whatever.
As far as your implication that I am imagining some steamy sex scene between Leonora and the Dark Elf... The supposition suggests a misunderstanding about how the story will be told and how the idea came about.
There is already an official game in the Final Fantasy series that actually depicts a sexual relationship between a human and a monster - I am speaking about Maduin and Madonna - and my story will not even come close to anything as suggestive as that. This hack will be every bit as G-rated as the original US release of "FFII." There will be mention of the fact that Leonora and the Dark Elf fell in love, and there will be the existence of Kella as a product of their relationship, but that's it. As I've mentioned, Leonora is dead in this story, so you'll have to make up the details of conception for yourself.
The truth about the genesis of the idea of Kella is that she started out with a concept of a character, and the details were built around that. I didn't even know The After Years existed, let alone Leonora's character, when I thought her up.