Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35779 times)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (The Preview)
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »
SPOILERS FOR THE GAME! DO NOT READ AHEAD IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED!!

Looks like we're on a roll!

Alright, the sun is fixed and the opening battle is rather interesting, ends after a few turns, the player is never in any real danger so it seems the objective is to steal the Emerald from Edge, since I somewhat doubt you get anything else (though I could be wrong and you may get a different treasure for actually defeating him.)

The Emerald is an interesting accessory, it gives 1 Magic Defense, 9? Magical Evasion and 3 Wisdom. I do not know if it prevents any ailments though. It is a good tradeoff for the Magic Evasion over the pure Defense.

Hmm, this looks to be running an older version of User Options, with the MaxATB and HP being in the Options instead of Active/Wait and the Change command is still present instead of Cache.

67 Year old Edge is still wise-cracking and I love that about his character.

Interestingly the Run hack isn't present at all.

That Big Chocobo conversation is rather interesting, actually a bit nuanced. I like it! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when you do ride a Chocobo and return to him.

Short Sword is still in its original location, that should make combat a veritable breeze for a while.

Also I forgot to mention I like the little touches as well, such as the little girl moving quickly to symbolize youth and the old man on the other side moving slowly to symbolize age.

I've said before I like the equipment draw from the shop.

Hmm, even with the Shadow Party Hack you plan on resetting the levels of the Mercenaries that join the team?

BUG: ...Um... I went down the stairs in the Hiring Room and was warped several times until I was placed in the upper corner of Baron, I know exactly what happened, but invalid warps always lead there. But it is strange in the first place.

Hmm, the Imps and Imp Captains seem to barely be able to hit me. Is there Accuracy still down to 55% or something like that? That would leave with with a 15% chance to actually hit Furio.

BUG: The graphics for Change and Parry are a little bit screwed up at the top.

BUG:? When you refuse the kisser at the Agart Port she says "Not enough GP.". I can't think that's intended.

Ah, I see you've got your Steal hack working appropriately. You can only steal one Ice ?Dart? from the Imps now.

Good change of the NPC's to lines instead of battles when you talk to them again.

Oh, I see you haven't switched your "Look for this character's Stats" on the Save Screen yet. I have the way to do that in my note topic somewhere recent-ish.

Hmm, the new enemy Old Tree seems a bit interesting, I don't know what TimeBomb does, but it only dealt about 16-20 damage.

I love the greater array of enemies on the World Map, Turtles, Bats, Old Trees all add a flair the original game is missing at times.

Hmm, I think the Bombs may have been made more difficult, with the seeming intention to prevent players from soloing the area, it can still be done but requires a bit of level grinding to roughly Level 14.

Imp Hit, which I don't recall from the last version doesn't appear to do anything.

The way to deal with Dummy is still to stick to the back row.

Though you've renamed the keys inside of the event you never renamed them outside of it. The items still go by their FFVIII reference names.

Everything (aside from Imps) deals quite a bit more damage, which is good.

Looks like you still have the Elemental Darts throwing Arms, I also have the fix for that in my topic somewhere.

It deals with the items you've replaced as memory serves.

Hmm, it seems for Ifrit you have to wait a couple of seconds after he turns on the heat for him to be weak to Ice, while before that it will still extinguish the flames, it won't deal double damage, very risky move to play.

Oh I like this new "LIMIT BREAK!" notice when one is available, a very nice touch! Even changing Fight to LIMIT.

Whew, another close bout with Ifrit, you really need to steal all of those Ice Darts to survive alone otherwise Burn will murder you. I could only steal 3 because the Bomb's HP is such that he will kill you if you do not attack him continually.

Looks like Agart is now open for conversation! Another nice character touch with the lady mentioning a Dwarven cousin. Nice use of FFIV lore.

ChainMail at the store, eh? A new armor, I wonder if it's worth the money? Stealth Dagger? That's new, I'll have to pick that up as well.

Raises Agility by 3, not a bad deal! Especially if you haven't leveled up enough to earn that 1 extra point of Agility for the Attack Multiplier.

What an interesting piece of Armor! Chainmail raises your Strength and Vitality by 5 while lowering the other stats. This will be good in a couple of levels and might actually be able to be manipulated with another Stealth Knife to offset the loss of Speed. I'll try it out. It does lower overall Evasion though.

"Our Boring One-Moon Sky" Haha! Nice touch!

I wonder if Corio is onto something... does this hint at an expanded Underworld? It is the Threat from Within after all.

Oh hey! The next event happens at the Agart Inn! I like the Dwarf drinking with a fellow man at the bar.

REMA, as I said before is a really neat concept, I don't think we've been told what it stand for yet, but I do like that you literally get "GP Bag" for completing the mission.

Ah! Secret treasure behind the bar! I literally just stumbled into the wall! Nice little reward, nothing too grand, but worth the find.

Ah, is the Enemy Level Up Patch in effect? I noticed some earlier foes are taking a bit longer to take out? Oh! Could this be the reason I was having a bit of trouble soloing?

I am loving this set up for the next chapter, strange weather from Mt. Ordeals, the House of Wishes being a literal government institution, it's all very well thought out.

Edge's concern about Jinn/Ifrit is great characterization and Furio's expression with it is amusing.

70 Damage from a SwordRat! I love the Enemy Level Up Patch!

Oh right... you can buy Ice Darts from the Eblan Weapon shop, haha! That would be a good investment.

Hmm, does REMA stand for Refurbished-Eblan-Mercenary-Association? Hmm... may need to think about that a bit more.

Good use of NPC appearance the interconnected ports is an interesting way to get around.

"Not very talkative give her a kiss!" (Muted, not even told by the game) Hilarious!

Whoa, how did you manage that Thunderstrike every few seconds in Mysidia? That is neat!

Well... I guess I better "Get my mission before I hire help!"

And I better "Proceed to the Houses of Wishes first."

"Crazy witch who stole my treasure, last seen running into trees!" Interesting, I wonder if that means anything... or if it's just a playful nod to the original.

Ah, Royal Eblana Mercenary Army. That makes sense. Did Edge mention that at the start and I just forgot?

May I say your characterization for Palom and Porom as joint Elders of Mysidia is Spot on! I especially loved Palom struggling to carry the Iron Boots.

"We don't posess the physical strength..." should be "possess"

Interesting philosophical lore on the nature of White and Black Magic, one coming from the Sun, the other the Moon.

Whoa, the Moogles were Oppressed by the Lunarians? ...Interesting...

Frozen, Burning, and Coral Rings, if this is like FFV each will allow me to resist or absorb the appropriate magic, but a bit too costly for me at the moment. I like that the Black Mage even references their use.

I am glad to see that you're using Dark and Light not as good and evil, and you've made this explicit. Nice touch, even Zeromus absorbs Holy after all and his true form is revealed by using a Dark Crystal.

Ah hah... so you can buy Job Cards now and you were not kidding about them being costly!

Ah? Mages have a shard spellbook? An interesting idea.

Oh man, things just opened up so much with the ability to purchase one of three units, but I'll have to take a break, play a bit of FF:Record Keeper, get dinner, and then I will get back to this. I am loving this Even More than I originally did! I cannot wait to see what awaits me next!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2015, 09:45:17 PM »
It's worth mentioning that I had originally intended on smoothing out some rough edges before releasing this patch, but I couldn't wait. Your bug-finding will probably end up being more help than me trying to do it on my own...

The Emerald... I have a big plan for this seemingly not-so-special but one of a kind item. It's also no mistake that it can be sold for (at this stage in the game) a lot of GP.
It is supposed to be not extremely easy to steal the Emerald, so if you got it early, then I either need to adjust that, or you were very lucky.

The battle with Edge, other than that, is just for show. I thought it was a fun way to introduce Furio. Notice that, now, one doesn't find out that he is Edge's son for sure until a few lines into their dialogue. I purposely did a similar thing with "The House of Wishes," not letting on immediately the identity of the new Elder(s).

Re: User Options... I kind of hate my version of dashing. It never worked as intended, so I thus far have left it out. That's subject to change, though... I actually forgot to change the Max HP/ATB in the menu. It can also be toggled with select. Change to Cache was created specifically for this hack, but I haven't gotten around to applying it yet. Details, details...

The shadow hack is actually not present in this game. I don't intend on changing the availability of characters and/or how they're switched from my original plan, and I kind of like the concept of hired characters that you can keep or lose forever, a la FFT. So, that sort of renders the shadow hack unneeded...

Oops.. I'm working on an as-yet unfinished beginner's hall. I guess I put the staircase in a bit prematurely. Sorry bout that.

I think the super-weak imps and imp caps are due to the level-up hack combined with solo Furio at level 10. They should get tougher as your party gets stronger.

The Change and Parry thing... Something I did caused that and I don't know exactly what. I don't know how to fix it, but it's entirely cosmetic and not so offensive that it takes much priority at the moment... I'm going with "known bug" for now.

The Agart kissing girl saying "not enough GP" is done on purpose. I don't want them all to say the same thing when rejected and... She is a member of "the oldest profession." The object was to be somewhat suggestive and funny without being blatantly dirty.

Oh, I see you haven't switched your "Look for this character's Stats" on the Save Screen yet. I have the way to do that in my note topic somewhere recent-ish.

I thought so. Something I'll get to, um, eventually.

TimeBomb is a blue magic, and my version of Step Mine. Since FFIV doesn't count steps, I needed to figure something else out, so it deals damage proportionate to the amount of time on the game clock.

ImpHit, also blue magic. It deals 1 damage if your level is higher than your opponent, and if your level is lower, it deals more damage depending on the difference (close to 9999 if ypou are level 10 and your opponent is 99). This makes it, as a player spell, useless against anything but bosses in this game, but will make imps late in the game have a fun "desperation attack," as this is what an imp uses when he is the last monster in battle.

Oops again about renaming the keys...
 :isuck:

Looks like you still have the Elemental Darts throwing Arms, I also have the fix for that in my topic somewhere.
MY HERO! I can't tell you how vexed I've been by that one.

Actually, Ifrit's always weak to ice. The kunai just aren't very strong. I've been toying with the idea of making them slightly stronger, but I don't want to overdo it.
The game also has made available two IceShards (my name for the ice version of FireBomb/Lit-Bolt) by now - one in Eblan Castle and one slightly more hidden. They do considerably more damage to Ifrit.

I'm very happy with how the Limit system has evolved. When you're in critical condition, there's a 25% chance of getting a limit break. Each character can limit only once per battle, and unlike the original system, it does not carry over (remember how Palom could be an unstoppable juggernaut under the old system?).

Did you happen to read all of Corio's books? One of my favorite bits of comedy in the game is embedded there...

The aim with the available equipment in Agart was that the player (unless having grinded quite a bit) would likely be able to afford one but not both of those nifty pieces of equipment... Also buying them pretty much makes you have to wait to get an elemental ring or a new Job Card (though I think I still haven't put in the part where hiring help actually takes away the job card... That makes testing things work nicely, but obviously takes out some of the intended challenge). I want impactful player choices to be a significant part of this game... I think that will be much more obvious for you by the time you get to the end of the Mysidia chapter. :)

One of the first things Edge says out of battle is, "You're now a full fledged member of the Royal Eblana Mercenary Army." I don't mean for it to be an oddly mysterious acronym like SEED (Sorceress Edea's... Extra-special Do-gooders?).

The thunderstrike in Mysidia is done through very complicated custom assembly, so I'm glad you like it. When you're in Mysidia, and the "finished Mt Ordeals" flag is not set, the game checks the smallest time-counting byte every so often (off the top of my head, I don't remember how often). If the lower nibble of that byte ANDs true with 03, then the game runs a "lightning flash" event. Fortuitously, it even works when a dialogue box is open!

There totally is a crazy old witch. Except I think I need to fix her battle script, so she will be way too easy to beat if you find her.

Re: possess... Well, maybe if PinkPuff would hurry up and put a spell checker into FF4kster...
(that was a joke, PinkPuff, don't be mad at me)

There's a pretty specific reason why moogles were oppressed by the Lunarians, which ties into the light/dark mythos I'm using, and it all has a great deal to do with the primary conflict, too.
I have a big, complicated story to tell here. It's going to be fun for me to get it all out.

Keep it coming! This is all helping me out quite a bit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:56:17 PM by chillyfeez »

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2015, 10:48:18 PM »
Here's an odd little glitch (doubt it's a glitch more of an oversight) when you sleep at Agart inn the Fabul music plays when you wake up. I assume you meant for that to be Town music.

It's worth mentioning that I had originally intended on smoothing out some rough edges before releasing this patch, but I couldn't wait. Your bug-finding will probably end up being more help than me trying to do it on my own...

The Emerald... I have a big plan for this seemingly not-so-special but one of a kind item. It's also no mistake that it can be sold for (at this stage in the game) a lot of GP.
It is supposed to be not extremely easy to steal the Emerald, so if you got it early, then I either need to adjust that, or you were very lucky.

The battle with Edge, other than that, is just for show. I thought it was a fun way to introduce Furio. Notice that, now, one doesn't find out that he is Edge's son for sure until a few lines into their dialogue. I purposely did a similar thing with "The House of Wishes," not letting on immediately the identity of the new Elder(s).

Oh? I guess I'll hang onto it then. I didn't think I was so lucky since everytime I fought the battle I had gotten it. I like how you introduced the House of Wishes you presented it as a place of importance and respect and in so doing you portrayed Palom and Porom's entrance as very befitting.

Re: User Options... I kind of hate my version of dashing. It never worked as intended, so I thus far have left it out. That's subject to change, though... I actually forgot to change the Max HP/ATB in the menu. It can also be toggled with select. Change to Cache was created specifically for this hack, but I haven't gotten around to applying it yet. Details, details...

The shadow hack is actually not present in this game. I don't intend on changing the availability of characters and/or how they're switched from my original plan, and I kind of like the concept of hired characters that you can keep or lose forever, a la FFT. So, that sort of renders the shadow hack unneeded...

I see what you mean, but at the same time you have a fairly large cast. Also if I'm not mistaken you can only hire One Mercenary, right? To have them all separated in this manner makes them a little difficult to choose which one, someone may save their Job Card until they reach Baron for a Dragoon, and don't want to invest 7000 GP in another Job Card, especially if they inadvertently grow attached to the Ninja or the Mages, and I imagine the Bard will be all the way in Damcyan.  But I'm sure you've thought of this much more than I have.

Oops.. I'm working on an as-yet unfinished beginner's hall. I guess I put the staircase in a bit prematurely. Sorry bout that.

I think the super-weak imps and imp caps are due to the level-up hack combined with solo Furio at level 10. They should get tougher as your party gets stronger.

The Change and Parry thing... Something I did caused that and I don't know exactly what. I don't know how to fix it, but it's entirely cosmetic and not so offensive that it takes much priority at the moment... I'm going with "known bug" for now.

The Agart kissing girl saying "not enough GP" is done on purpose. I don't want them all to say the same thing when rejected and... She is a member of "the oldest
profession." The object was to be somewhat suggestive and funny without being blatantly dirty.

Haha, I see. I thought because there wasn't a question mark or anything it seemed a little matter-of-fact. The Beginner's Hall is a good idea.

I thought so. Something I'll get to, um, eventually.

TimeBomb is a blue magic, and my version of Step Mine. Since FFIV doesn't count steps, I needed to figure something else out, so it deals damage proportionate to the amount of time on the game clock.

ImpHit, also blue magic. It deals 1 damage if your level is higher than your opponent, and if your level is lower, it deals more damage depending on the difference (close to 9999 if ypou are level 10 and your opponent is 99). This makes it, as a player spell, useless against anything but bosses in this game, but will make imps late in the game have a fun "desperation attack," as this is what an imp uses when he is the last monster in battle.

Ah, that is a rather neat idea. Yes. I think I recall asking about Time Bomb before now that I think about it, heh.

MY HERO! I can't tell you how vexed I've been by that one.

Actually, Ifrit's always weak to ice. The kunai just aren't very strong. I've been toying with the idea of making them slightly stronger, but I don't want to overdo it.
The game also has made available two IceShards (my name for the ice version of FireBomb/Lit-Bolt) by now - one in Eblan Castle and one slightly more hidden. They do considerably more damage to Ifrit.
[/quote]

They dealt roughly 200-400 damage for me. Which wasn't terrible, but wasn't the best but I imagine they're related to how much HP the player has in the first place as it was in FFIV.

I'll get the notes about the Throw...

Wait a second, you changed Throw's Routine didn't you?

$02/C118   AD 80 35   LDA $3580  [$7E:3580]   A:00C0   X:0020   Y:000A   P:envMxdiZC - Load Thrown Item into A.
$02/C11B   C9 41   CMP #$41   A:0023   X:0020   Y:000A   P:envMxdizC - Is it Ninja Shuriken?
$02/C11D   F0 04   BEQ $04    [$C123]   A:0023   X:0020   Y:000A   P:eNvMxdizc - If so, unique branch.
$02/C11F   C9 40   CMP #$40   A:0023   X:0020   Y:000A   P:eNvMxdizc - Is it Shuriken?
$02/C121   D0 09   BNE $09    [$C12C]   A:0023   X:0020   Y:000A   P:eNvMxdizc - If not, branch past.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$02/C123   A9 40   LDA #$40   A:0011   X:0020   Y:000A   P:envMxdizc - Load 40 into A.
$02/C125   85 50   STA $50    [$00:0050]   A:0011   X:0020   Y:000A   P:envMxdizc - Store A into 50.
$02/C127   64 51   STZ $51    [$00:0051]   A:0011   X:0020   Y:000A   P:envMxdizc - Store Zero in 51.
$02/C129   4C C8 CF   JMP $CFC8  [$02:CFC8]   A:0011   X:0020   Y:000A   P:envMxdizc - Jump elsewhere
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$02/C12C   A9 11   LDA #$11   A:0023   X:0020   Y:000A   P:eNvMxdizc - Load 11 into A.
$02/C12E   20 6D D9   JSR $D96D  [$02:D96D]   A:0011   X:0020   Y:000A   P:envMxdizc - Jump to Subroutine (Weapon Graphics)

I don't think in your new Throw Routine that you saved the Thrown Weapon to 3580 which is one of the first things the original Routine does. All you would have to do is add that back in and everything should work properly.

I'm very happy with how the Limit system has evolved. When you're in critical condition, there's a 25% chance of getting a limit break. Each character can limit only once per battle, and unlike the original system, it does not carry over (remember how Palom could be an unstoppable juggernaut under the old system?).

Yes, that was a bit of a mess. I really like the new system so much better.

Did you happen to read all of Corio's books? One of my favorite bits of comedy in the game is embedded there...

I did not originally, mainly because FFIV doesn't normally use the second part of a bookshelf outside of the Feymarch Library. I rather like that response from the female attendant, the jumping animation coupled with the exact same response from talking to her normally does have a lot of humor to it. Good work.

The aim with the available equipment in Agart was that the player (unless having grinded quite a bit) would likely be able to afford one but not both of those nifty pieces of equipment... Also buying them pretty much makes you have to wait to get an elemental ring or a new Job Card (though I think I still haven't put in the part where hiring help actually takes away the job card... That makes testing things work nicely, but obviously takes out some of the intended challenge). I want impactful player choices to be a significant part of this game... I think that will be much more obvious for you by the time you get to the end of the Mysidia chapter. :)

And that is a great way to go about it!  I like shop choices actually Being choices and not just "buy everything!" I tried to do a similar thing with Combat Boost, but then again in Combat Boost all of the really good equipment is found from battle.

One of the first things Edge says out of battle is, "You're now a full fledged member of the Royal Eblana Mercenary Army." I don't mean for it to be an oddly mysterious acronym like SEED (Sorceress Edea's... Extra-special Do-gooders?).

I must have missed that everytime  and I'm normally pretty good with text, heh.

The thunderstrike in Mysidia is done through very complicated custom assembly, so I'm glad you like it. When you're in Mysidia, and the "finished Mt Ordeals" flag is not set, the game checks the smallest time-counting byte every so often (off the top of my head, I don't remember how often). If the lower nibble of that byte ANDs true with 03, then the game runs a "lightning flash" event. Fortuitously, it even works when a dialogue box is open!

That is So cool! I would love to see what else you could do with that, I bet you could even throw in random Toggle tints since the mages did mention a variety of crazy weather effects.

There totally is a crazy old witch. Except I think I need to fix her battle script, so she will be way too easy to beat if you find her.

Re: possess... Well, maybe if PinkPuff would hurry up and put a spell checker into FF4kster...
(that was a joke, PinkPuff, don't be mad at me)

There's a pretty specific reason why moogles were oppressed by the Lunarians, which ties into the light/dark mythos I'm using, and it all has a great deal to do with the primary conflict, too.
I have a big, complicated story to tell here. It's going to be fun for me to get it all out.

Keep it coming! This is all helping me out quite a bit.

Ah? Is she intended to be the same as the dancer lady who turned the party into Pigs in FFIV?

Ah so Moogles are a large part of the backstory? That's reasonable enough, looking forward to seeing where that goes.

I think I'll go and get a Black Mage with my Job Card.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2015, 12:06:20 AM »
Huh... I guess I always playtest resting in Agart with the volume off. Thanks for that.

The Emerald's significance won't reveal itself for a very long time. Without giving too much aeway, it can be traded for a much better item about midway through the game, but I'm hoping that a relatively low percentage of players own it at that time on the first play through. Ideally, it takes a few attempts at stealing to actually get it, so those with little patience will give up, and because there is a time limit on the battle, it is possible to miss it entirely. The sale price is supposed to be tempting as well.

I plan for Job Cards to occasionally show up as rewards from boss battles, and the nature of the ship travel system makes it pretty easy to backtrack to hire a mercenary from a previous location... Except Damcyan has no port, but Avon is (sort of...) the last mercenary you can obtain, so by that time you may have a better handle on who you want to keep around.
Maybe Jinn should drop a Job Card, so right off the bat the player will know that they aren't completely locked in to any one choice...

Aha! What a simple solution to my Throw problem. Thank you for that.

The bandit witch isn't specifically intended to be the same as the Mysidia dancer, but if that's how she comes across, that's completely fine. She's just a semi secret, optional monster who yields a pretty nice prize if you can beat her (and like I said, I need to fix her battle script I think, so you can definitely beat her right now).

Moogles aren't necessarily a large part of the backstory. It'll be possible to play through the game without ever seeing mention of moogles. But their absence in previous FFIV games ties directly into the backstory.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2015, 12:35:31 AM »
Huh... I guess I always playtest resting in Agart with the volume off. Thanks for that.

The Emerald's significance won't reveal itself for a very long time. Without giving too much aeway, it can be traded for a much better item about midway through the game, but I'm hoping that a relatively low percentage of players own it at that time on the first play through. Ideally, it takes a few attempts at stealing to actually get it, so those with little patience will give up, and because there is a time limit on the battle, it is possible to miss it entirely. The sale price is supposed to be tempting as well.

I plan for Job Cards to occasionally show up as rewards from boss battles, and the nature of the ship travel system makes it pretty easy to backtrack to hire a mercenary from a previous location... Except Damcyan has no port, but Avon is (sort of...) the last mercenary you can obtain, so by that time you may have a better handle on who you want to keep around.
Maybe Jinn should drop a Job Card, so right off the bat the player will know that they aren't completely locked in to any one choice...

Aha! What a simple solution to my Throw problem. Thank you for that.

The bandit witch isn't specifically intended to be the same as the Mysidia dancer, but if that's how she comes across, that's completely fine. She's just a semi secret, optional monster who yields a pretty nice prize if you can beat her (and like I said, I need to fix her battle script I think, so you can definitely beat her right now).

Moogles aren't necessarily a large part of the backstory. It'll be possible to play through the game without ever seeing mention of moogles. But their absence in previous FFIV games ties directly into the backstory.

I now have a Black Mage and this is an interesting class, they come with 99 Darkness Arrows, which is an unusual utility. It gives a nearly guaranteed Blind which is an item most people would ignore in the normal game. And Aim which is very well thought out for them. It gives them a real means of offense aside from Spell when dealing with flying creatures.

I like the idea of Jinn dropping a Job Card. But I am concerned over one aspect though... people will eventually be able to kill their Party Level Average if they abuse the system and get a Level 15 Mercenary, kill them, and leave them dead, hence throwing off all encounters from thereon out, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, a slight oversight, if you're main character isn't Furio there is no delay between the dialogue and the character switching back to Furio when interacting with the Raven boss, so the palette is askewed. A slight pause buffer should get rid of that.

Now the first boss of Mt. Ordeals is odd. Float, then Aero a couple of times, then Quake... but you're Floating so... why Quake? I guess when someone dies they wouldn't have Float anymore when revived (I think) so it might be for that.

All in all he wasn't too difficult to beat, Aero was frequent but only did 10-25 damage each time and because we were Floating Quake never struck and his physical attack was pathetic dealing 8 at most. I imagine he was really fast to accentuate the Iron Boots.

These Mt. Ordeals Zombies do not fool around dealing 50-75 damage from the backrow! Revenants are not to be taken lightly!

Wow, Ambushed by 7 of them, thankfully I made it out fine.

What an interesting event that Rockfall was, does that mean you took a one-frame sprite and turned it into a Rock Formation tile sprite? Again, another fine little detail.

Wow, was I just struck by lightning for going to a specific spot? I'll... keep that in mind.

Oh ho! Again, I must praise your use of characterization, Shiva, Ramuh, and Ifrit are given hardly any characterization in FFIV, but you've done a great job here with them, they act high-and-mighty and speak in formal tones and it works very well. I especially loved the banter between Shiva and Ramuh on Ifrit's failure.

And it looks as if I'm given a choice here? Well, honestly my resources are out so I don't think I stand much of a chance and since they spoke of a famine, I imagine whatever their plan is, it's going to take a while (it would make sense for a Wise character like Ramuh to play the long game, instead of outright attack like Ifrit tried.) So let's head back to town and report. After all we did promise Edge we'd be more careful.

Is Shiva's sprite new? Or is she a recolored dancer? I can't quite tell.

And I barely survived my trek down, I came ill prepared and ran out of Cure potions just as I reached the top and then Cinna died without a way to bring him back, so I had to run until I felt safe enough to fight enemies on the way back to Mysidia.

So Palom and Porom have joined the team!

You've done something rather smart here, you've given Palom and Porom many more spells than the two mercenary Black Mage/White Mage, but you've given them more MP to use all together. Interesting idea. So now let's head back to the top of Mt. Ordeals!

Ah, Blind as a Spell, I somewhat imagine it replaced Sight.

Whoa, fighting Shiva and Indra at the same time, this could get dicey!

Indra has a disappointing physical attack damage of... 2.

Wow. Shiva Psych's all of your MP away!

Indra cures himself with Cure 2 of... 50. This is because enemy Magic Defense is factored into the healing done by Cure, I imagine it was to make it so defeating the Undead with Cure wasn't so simple... but the end result is that it becomes nearly worthless to cast Healing magic on the Undead until Cure 4 and when enemy's go to use Cure spells on themselves... well 50 Recovery happens. That may be something we want to look into down the line. I imagine it's part of the Cure routine.

Does Indra have really low Spell Power? His Lit 1 deals 20 damage to Furio and 1 to the Mages. Eventually the "Storm Rages!" and he deals a fair amount of damage to one character who he hit with Lit 1 (A nice touch of the randomness of Lightning, by the way) and a full group Lit-2.

Shiva can survive maybe three to four Fire2's from Palom. Not remarkable.

Does Sight actually do something in this? It targets a foe in battle, but it doesn't appear to work. Then again that foe was Indra, is Sight the new Scan... because that makes a lot of sense if it is.

What was great about Indra was what seemed to be an extremely high Magic Defense, hence his original plan of dealing with Mysidia without Furio's help would have been a success. A brilliant way to tie in-game mechanics with the overall story.

Ah, looks like a shadowy figure that looks a bit like Cecil is in league with the Eidolons, this looks to be a rather intriguing plot. I am loving it so far! But this looks to be where the demo ends then? Edge doesn't take the GP Bag this time around.

I would honestly suggest sending this to Mato to play on his stream to drum up some attention for this because This is shaping up to be an amazing project. It's not retelling FFIV like myself and PinkPuff are doing, this is going far beyond that.

I may have noticed some spelling errors in the chapter end there, but it kind of zoomed past me a little too quickly to tell for certain.

Still need to find the Bandit Witch, I'll take a closer look around Mysidia (then around the forests?)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2015, 02:00:53 AM »
Re:cheating the average party level down... I guess you're right, but bosses' levels never decrease, so the hope is that in the end, the player finds it more advantageous to have a living mercenary on the team. Also, remember that exp take is also affected by the adjustment. But hey, if you find ways to exploit loopholes in the system... Power to you. I for one have abused the hell out of the vanish/x-zone trick in ffvi.

The Raven miniboss is a bit of a WIP. Eventually, I will settle on an idea for a readily a available float-cancelling item or spell. As an offensive tool, it will make floating things vulnerable to quake, and as a defensive tool it will protect floating things from air elemental attacks. Whatever I finally decide on for this will be available to the player by this point, and Raven's Quake will sort of be a punishment for using it.

I keep edging the Ordeals monsters' difficulty down, but I don't want to go too far. The problem you had with your resources being drained by the time you got to the top is exactly the plan. The fight with Shiva and Indra isn't extremely difficult, but is made more so if you are low on reserves. In a way, this kind of mirrors the villains' plot to take down Mysidia.

Shiva is indeed just a recolored dancer, but her palette is custom made. Indra is a modified (Mysidian) Elder, also with a custom palette.

What did you think of that battle? Seems like maybe it was a bit too easy for you?
If the player kills Indra first, the battle with Shiva is supposed to be pretty punishing... Possibly impossible. But I don't want the alternative to be a complete snap, either. I thought it was kind of a fun idea that when you attack Indra, he counters by buffering Shiva, thus making it harder to knock her off. Maybe what I should do is actually make her mostly dormant unless Indra is killed first, and make Indra's attacks hit a bit harder, so she seems like the less imposing of the two until it's too late?
Also, regarding the "storm raging," this only occurs after Shiva is killed, and depending on how long it takes to kill her, the storm can rage harder. Indra's normal AI routine is pretty long and sets a flag at the end. If, when Shiva is killed, that flag is set, the "storm raging" casts twice as many lit-1 spells before lit-2. You'll know you've reached the end of his cycle if he casts White Wind (which also makes things tougher, because unless you're attacking him instead of Shiva, it will restore both of them to full HP).

Also, challenging the Eidolons without Palom and Porom leads to an entirely different battle, as well as entirely different scenes. This is the first of what I have been calling "epic choices." Whether you report back to P/P before or after challenging the Eidolons not only impacts how that scene plays out, but also creates ripples, the effects of which will be felt later.

I'm particularly interested in what you think about the difficulty balance. I don't want it to be as hard as Combat Boost on the whole, but I don't want it to be "Easy Type" either. Are there ways you can think of to make the overall challenge more uniform?

I'm really happy with the way the "mysterious figure talking to Indra" scene came out, but I am wary of telling too much with it. I may take out the lightning flash at the end of the scene. What I want is for observant, seasoned FFIV fans to see that it is definitely a member of the Harvey family (but which one?...), but it will play just as well to people who don't notice the character's shape.

I'm a little worried about the prospect of giving this project too much exposure too early on. The going, as you know, is pretty slow. If it's well received, then I feel like there might be a lot of pressure to crank more game out, and I don't want to sacrifice quality.
I was thinking once what you've seen so far is all polished up, I would start a thread in RHDN's personal projects page, being sure to let folks know that progress would be slow and steady. I think Airikita's "Zelda's Eternal Youth" thread is a good role model for the kind of thing I'd want to put out there... Except with an actual playable demo WIP.

And if Mato happens upon it at that point and decides to play it for all the world to see... Well, I think that would be nice.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2015, 11:18:26 AM »
I started a second playthrough on the thought that you'll be receiving another Job Card from Jinn, but I'll be sticking with the Ninja this run. I think I have a plan to make short work of Shiva without magic...

The first area was rather easy, no additional grinding so the enemies didn't boost their own stats accordingly.

I bought two FireClaws, 10 Fire Darts, and went on.

So I happened to go to Mt. Ordeals without talking to Palom and Porom to see what would happen and I like that wind-blowing back effect even the blur when you hit the side. Good work! If it were the original FFIV I'm sure it would have been a text box that said "The wind is blowing too strong to proceed."

Finally caught a Chocobo! Well... it's a Chocobo, but now I can report back to the Big Chocobo to see what happens.

Ah? Something about "keeping better company?" Is this for a sidequest, perhaps? And what are the specifics of it? "Company it keeps" seems a bit vague...

Hmm, does the Raven have high Physical Evasion? I noticed that my x4 Multipliers only seemed to be dealing anywhere from 40-80 damage to it? Maybe he just had really high Defense but when the Black Mage used Aim on it, it dealt the appropriate 60-70 damage. Interesting incentive for their inclusion in that fight then by the way. Or is he resistant to Fire? If so, smart move since mostly everything on the mountain is weak to Fire (aside from Spirit/Souls)

Ah, hey. Spirit/Souls drop Fire Darts, neat!

Uh... when Blank reached Level 17 he gained like... 300 HP, was that intended? Also... the Exp to his next level is 90200. I think you may have forgotten to change that from a default setting, or something?

Hmm, just noticed in the 7th Station of Mt. Ordeals there's a random floating tile sprite in the upper right corner of the map.

Also I take it there's no way to get that treasure? Or... would you have to wait to defeat Indra and Shiva to get said treasure? (Which means never activating the boulder falling event in the first place?)

I'll check that out on my White Mage run so don't spoil it for me please, hehe.

I would love to know the ASM you used to display the optional party member.

Oh... Oh, if you go to fight them with just Edge alone it's only Indra (throws the FireClaws away) Welp, that was a waste, I may need to descend the mountains to pick up some more effective weapons.

Creams dealt with, with a Firebomb.

...Fire Darts deal 1 damage to Indra.

Uh... Thunder deals 500-700 damage to the Party, I guess I better get that Coral Ring, eh?

Ah, Gravirty from Lilith, eh? A nice touch. A Dark Spell for a normally dark oriented creature. Bizarrely though outside of Float no enemy has inflicted any status yet.

BUG: Before I forget Bats use Drain on themselves, resulting in... nothing. I think you meant to switch the targeting.

Oh hey! The Coral Ring raises Agility by 3! Very nice! (Lightning-Fast, yeah I see where you were going with that)

Most importantly though it gives Blank that crucial 16 Agility to get him a 4th Attack Multiplier (granted the Stealth Knives could do that as well) It also raises Evasion by 10 and gives more defense than the IronRing a superior item in all respects.

Furio's Level 17 works correctly thankfully.

Ah, the Rings give you Elemental Absorption, yeah Indra's not even going to stand a chance.

Interestingly when you fight him alone he's the one with very high Physical Defense, for this run I'll have to pool my weapons onto just one Ninja. His damage jumps from 15-40 to 100-170.

A Cure1 for beating Indra, haha! Is that a bit of a mistake?

I love this scene or Palom and Porom reprimanding Furio for going against orders and even to accompany him back to Edge.

But... that appears to be the end of the demo. I now have two save files with both paths taken and very different party makeup and set-up. This game has good versatility!

Re:cheating the average party level down... I guess you're right, but bosses' levels never decrease, so the hope is that in the end, the player finds it more advantageous to have a living mercenary on the team. Also, remember that exp take is also affected by the adjustment. But hey, if you find ways to exploit loopholes in the system... Power to you. I for one have abused the hell out of the vanish/x-zone trick in ffvi.

Ah, I had forgotten that you prevent bosses from ever decreasing. I remember now that was one of the hallmarks of the newer version.

The Raven miniboss is a bit of a WIP. Eventually, I will settle on an idea for a readily a available float-cancelling item or spell. As an offensive tool, it will make floating things vulnerable to quake, and as a defensive tool it will protect floating things from air elemental attacks. Whatever I finally decide on for this will be available to the player by this point, and Raven's Quake will sort of be a punishment for using it.

I thought that Float was going to let Aero deal more damage to me (sort of a double combo for what I imagine will be a Blue Magic and Float will be a White Magic)

I keep edging the Ordeals monsters' difficulty down, but I don't want to go too far. The problem you had with your resources being drained by the time you got to the top is exactly the plan. The fight with Shiva and Indra isn't extremely difficult, but is made more so if you are low on reserves. In a way, this kind of mirrors the villains' plot to take down Mysidia.

Believe me they are Perfect where they are, a less than prepared person will face some difficulty, but if they come in with their wits about them they should be able to take advantage of a party's innate abilities to deal with it (Ninja - FireClaw, Black Mage - FlameRod/Fire1, White Mage - White Arrows). So you set it up perfectly!

Shiva is indeed just a recolored dancer, but her palette is custom made. Indra is a modified (Mysidian) Elder, also with a custom palette.

What did you think of that battle? Seems like maybe it was a bit too easy for you?
If the player kills Indra first, the battle with Shiva is supposed to be pretty punishing... Possibly impossible. But I don't want the alternative to be a complete snap, either. I thought it was kind of a fun idea that when you attack Indra, he counters by buffering Shiva, thus making it harder to knock her off. Maybe what I should do is actually make her mostly dormant unless Indra is killed first, and make Indra's attacks hit a bit harder, so she seems like the less imposing of the two until it's too late?
Also, regarding the "storm raging," this only occurs after Shiva is killed, and depending on how long it takes to kill her, the storm can rage harder. Indra's normal AI routine is pretty long and sets a flag at the end. If, when Shiva is killed, that flag is set, the "storm raging" casts twice as many lit-1 spells before lit-2. You'll know you've reached the end of his cycle if he casts White Wind (which also makes things tougher, because unless you're attacking him instead of Shiva, it will restore both of them to full HP).

Indra, because of his magic immunity-ish is very difficult to take down whereas Shiva is obviously weak to Fire, so several Fire2's and she's down. I'm not sure how viable defeating Indra before Shiva really is. I'll try it in my next go around with the White Mage though, then I'll give you my thoughts on it. I did not see him reach the end of his cycle though since he never cast White Wind.

Also, challenging the Eidolons without Palom and Porom leads to an entirely different battle, as well as entirely different scenes. This is the first of what I have been calling "epic choices." Whether you report back to P/P before or after challenging the Eidolons not only impacts how that scene plays out, but also creates ripples, the effects of which will be felt later.

I'm particularly interested in what you think about the difficulty balance. I don't want it to be as hard as Combat Boost on the whole, but I don't want it to be "Easy Type" either. Are there ways you can think of to make the overall challenge more uniform?

I'm really happy with the way the "mysterious figure talking to Indra" scene came out, but I am wary of telling too much with it. I may take out the lightning flash at the end of the scene. What I want is for observant, seasoned FFIV fans to see that it is definitely a member of the Harvey family (but which one?...), but it will play just as well to people who don't notice the character's shape.

Ah, I didn't even noticed the lightning flash revealing anything really. And I like to think I'm rather observant.

The difficulty for the most part is perfect for the point in the game. The four mini-bosses in Agart can be tricky, without knowing how to deal with Jinn he is rather difficult. The normal enemies on the World Map though, aside from the Old Trees seem like fodder, but that may be the intention. Mt. Ordeals is a great step up and shows just what's in store. The Elemental Rings though may make it a bit too easy though as fighting Indra alone with two Coral Rings was a belated conclusion.

I'm a little worried about the prospect of giving this project too much exposure too early on. The going, as you know, is pretty slow. If it's well received, then I feel like there might be a lot of pressure to crank more game out, and I don't want to sacrifice quality.
I was thinking once what you've seen so far is all polished up, I would start a thread in RHDN's personal projects page, being sure to let folks know that progress would be slow and steady. I think Airikita's "Zelda's Eternal Youth" thread is a good role model for the kind of thing I'd want to put out there... Except with an actual playable demo WIP.

And if Mato happens upon it at that point and decides to play it for all the world to see... Well, I think that would be nice.

You make a very good point. I'm sort of regretting releasing Combat Boost in the state I had originally as well, so you're probably right. I would like to see more people play this though and get their opinion.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »
You may not have noticed this, but chocobos can run on shorelines in this. This ability will grant players access to locations they couldn't go otherwise (none of which really exist yet). Funny enough, I think they're also able to run over the rocks in the water (a scrapped idea that I haven't fixed yet). I don't recommend going to the cave of Eblan, though, as that was not intended.
They keep the company of monsters until you catch them, of which the Big Chocobo does not approve. The larger sidequest is to catch a lot of chocobos (to which Fats alludes when he asks you to catch more). The continuing incentive is normally inaccessible treasure, and the final prize is part of a larger optional sidequest. Chocobos will gain speed as you level up, making them much harder to catch (that's the plan, anyway), but one character who shows up later also has a special affinity with chocobos, making them very easy to catch (for a specific, story-driven reason).

It's curious that Raven was seemingly weaker against Cinna's Aim than Furio/Blank's attacks. That's not intended. I'm okay with the effect in this instance, but I should probably figure out why so as to be able to avoid the same thing happening when I don't want it to.

You can also steal fire darts from the spirits and souls, and Cure1 potions from the skeletons. Both of these function as motivation to take Blank up the mountain. Though I don't intend for there to be a "right" choice of hired help, ever.

That single tile of mountain floating in the corner of the 7th station is kind of a mystery to me. It's not always there, and I really don't know what causes it's appearance and disappearance.

There is in fact a way to get the treasure blocked by the boulder - oh, by the way, yes, it's an NPC that replaces the Ball/Guillotine that hangs over Rosa in Zot - In your first runthrough, you've already missed it (until quite a bit later, anyway). You can still get it in your second playthrough. It's nothing too special. An Ether, I think.

Indra's Cream buddies aren't intended to be too difficult to beat, though if you used the one FireBomb you've gotten thus far in desperation against a 7-undead group or something, you'll regret it. Unless you've got Cinna, I guess...
The Cure1 as a reward for defeating Indra is just a Dummy until I decide on an appropriate award.

That bit about Blank's level-up is certainly wrong. I'll have to look into that. I don't recall exactly, but I think he was supposed to have the exact same level up table as Furio.

I think the Bats' AI is just a copy of the original Cave Bats', actually. I do remember seeing some type of Bat in original FFIV using Drain on itself, which would appear to heal for a small amount of HP. Or maybe not, I might be imagining that. Anyway, easy enough to fix.

There will eventually be status anomalies to deal with, but the very early stages of the game focus more on elemental properties.

Whenever I want the hired help to appear as an NPC, I use NPC #FF. Then I rewired the NPC loading routine to run a special  subroutine every time the game loads NPC FF. Depending on which mercenary is in the party, a different event flag is set. When the game is told to load NPC FF, it checks the event flags to figure out which NPC to load instead. At some places, I intend for the player to be able to have brief interactions with the Hired help, who will say different things depending on who they are.

The elemental rings each provide a bonus to a particular (and considerably appropriate) stat: lightning-agility, fire-strength, ice-vitality.
They should probably be a bit more expensive... maybe 10000 GP each, so the player would really have to work for them, basically to the point of being cost-prohibitive this early on.

Ah, I didn't even noticed the lightning flash revealing anything really. And I like to think I'm rather observant.
What I mean is, you mentioned that it appeared to be Cecil. unless something has gone wrong, the scene should take place over a black background, meaning the shadowy figure is invisible unless the lightning flashes.

I'd like more opinions, too, but I want to polish this up before I seek them out. Combat Boost has been received pretty well in general on RHDN by those who have played it, but if you look at other FFIV projects there (PII and Namingway), those guys have to wade through a veritable sea of nitpicky bullcrap to find the few gems of actual constructive criticism. As always, yours is very much appreciated!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2015, 07:04:07 PM »
You may not have noticed this, but chocobos can run on shorelines in this. This ability will grant players access to locations they couldn't go otherwise (none of which really exist yet). Funny enough, I think they're also able to run over the rocks in the water (a scrapped idea that I haven't fixed yet). I don't recommend going to the cave of Eblan, though, as that was not intended.
They keep the company of monsters until you catch them, of which the Big Chocobo does not approve. The larger sidequest is to catch a lot of chocobos (to which Fats alludes when he asks you to catch more). The continuing incentive is normally inaccessible treasure, and the final prize is part of a larger optional sidequest. Chocobos will gain speed as you level up, making them much harder to catch (that's the plan, anyway), but one character who shows up later also has a special affinity with chocobos, making them very easy to catch (for a specific, story-driven reason).

I had noticed that, I had thought that was the way to access the Bandit Witch somehow. I was wrong, I still haven't found her.

It's curious that Raven was seemingly weaker against Cinna's Aim than Furio/Blank's attacks. That's not intended. I'm okay with the effect in this instance, but I should probably figure out why so as to be able to avoid the same thing happening when I don't want it to.

I had thought it was because of the Raven's Evasion. Is Evasion not implemented in this?

You can also steal fire darts from the spirits and souls, and Cure1 potions from the skeletons. Both of these function as motivation to take Blank up the mountain. Though I don't intend for there to be a "right" choice of hired help, ever.

I did not realize that. I knew about Cure1 because most enemies can have Cure1 stolen.

That single tile of mountain floating in the corner of the 7th station is kind of a mystery to me. It's not always there, and I really don't know what causes it's appearance and disappearance.

Really? That is all kinds of strange.

There is in fact a way to get the treasure blocked by the boulder - oh, by the way, yes, it's an NPC that replaces the Ball/Guillotine that hangs over Rosa in Zot - In your first runthrough, you've already missed it (until quite a bit later, anyway). You can still get it in your second playthrough. It's nothing too special. An Ether, I think.

Heh, I'll check it out in this White Mage run then.

Indra's Cream buddies aren't intended to be too difficult to beat, though if you used the one FireBomb you've gotten thus far in desperation against a 7-undead group or something, you'll regret it. Unless you've got Cinna, I guess...

That is true... at first I thought that leaving the Creams alive may have prevented Indra from using Thunder. I did not appear to be correct.

The Cure1 as a reward for defeating Indra is just a Dummy until I decide on an appropriate award.

That makes sense.

That bit about Blank's level-up is certainly wrong. I'll have to look into that. I don't recall exactly, but I think he was supposed to have the exact same level up table as Furio.

I noticed the two are different, mainly Blank never gains that last 1 Agility to gain an Attack Multiplier whereas Furio gets it by then.

I think the Bats' AI is just a copy of the original Cave Bats', actually. I do remember seeing some type of Bat in original FFIV using Drain on itself, which would appear to heal for a small amount of HP. Or maybe not, I might be imagining that. Anyway, easy enough to fix.

I believe you are confusing Drain for Absorb, in Threat from Within they use Drain on themselves which does nothing, when Absorb is what they normally use to heal 10% of their HP.

There will eventually be status anomalies to deal with, but the very early stages of the game focus more on elemental properties.

That's not a bad plan, it eases the player into it.

Whenever I want the hired help to appear as an NPC, I use NPC #FF. Then I rewired the NPC loading routine to run a special  subroutine every time the game loads NPC FF. Depending on which mercenary is in the party, a different event flag is set. When the game is told to load NPC FF, it checks the event flags to figure out which NPC to load instead. At some places, I intend for the player to be able to have brief interactions with the Hired help, who will say different things depending on who they are.

I may need to ask for some help on that. I already have the Different Party Arrangements through Event Flags working fine for the Custom Event Instruction. But getting them to appear is another matter all together, I was hoping to learn a bit through the "Display Character Graphic" which is literally "search through the five slots. Load whichever slot it says to do so". Not very mod friendly.

The elemental rings each provide a bonus to a particular (and considerably appropriate) stat: lightning-agility, fire-strength, ice-vitality.
They should probably be a bit more expensive... maybe 10000 GP each, so the player would really have to work for them, basically to the point of being cost-prohibitive this early on.

I would agree to that, but Indra is seemingly impossible to beat with just two people without the Coral Rings, (his Thunder deals 400-700 damage) where he just becomes a joke, never able to strike the party. Unless I missed some means to quell the storm. Which is fully possible.

Ah, as for Shiva, I had a thought while at work today, why not have her cast Stop on Palom when Fire Magic is used on her? That would provide a disincentive to using Fire, but still make it possible to utilize.

What I mean is, you mentioned that it appeared to be Cecil. unless something has gone wrong, the scene should take place over a black background, meaning the shadowy figure is invisible unless the lightning flashes.

Oh, I was referring just to silhouette which shows up against the black background... was that not intended?

I'd like more opinions, too, but I want to polish this up before I seek them out. Combat Boost has been received pretty well in general on RHDN by those who have played it, but if you look at other FFIV projects there (PII and Namingway), those guys have to wade through a veritable sea of nitpicky bullcrap to find the few gems of actual constructive criticism. As always, yours is very much appreciated!

That is true. Well I think Combat Boost gets a bit of a free pass because it is a difficulty hack and it scares away a lot of the sort of people that would be nitpicky (like that fellow who continually bugs Vivify to change basic things just because he wants it to be done), but because Threat from Within has a wider appeal... it is probably more susceptible to the silly complaints of overzealous fans.

You're in the right here. Well, I do hope my feedback is somewhat useful at least.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2015, 07:42:18 PM »
I had not realized that you had to talk to the little girl in Agart to even start the Moogle Lore chain, how interesting.

Oh! I see, I found the witch, I don't want to reveal it though. All I have to say is I Love finding secrets like that, it gives a real sense of exploration.

And... she uses Ice-2 and kills the party in three rounds. Well... if I come with a Frozen Ring I should be fine. Rather nice use of a hidden chest tile, by the way...

Or her less than 120 HP is her real weakness, not her AI Script... I somewhat imagine that's a cause of the Level Up Patch. The Witch I believe is a Level 30-ish foe so being truncated down to less than 15 probably murdered her stats.

Oh hey! That is a nice reward! I wonder if Indra might be susceptible to it...

Does Lilith not have that great of Spell Power? She tried to cast Sleep and Charm, failing in both occurrences, granted she may have been trying to cast Charm on Furio who has the Headband.

I'm fighting Indra again, this time without killing the Creams, he does have a different AI pattern, so the secret is not to kill the Creams it seems, hah. I thought I tried that before... he'll cast Armor/Shell again and again, but for some reason they don't often appear to work, probably because of that same "calculate Magic Defense" silliness the game uses for enemies when those sorts of spells are cast.

Interesting... Slow (possibly any spell) makes him use Wall on an Ally.

Haha! I see what you're supposed to do, very clever. He'll cast Wall and then he'll bounce those buffs off himself (or his allies) onto you.

Well, using this to my advantage he never proceeded in the "Clouds Gather" pattern as he continually tried to buff his friends after being struck and though he made it through his AI to cast White Wind his HP was far too low to make any difference. A couple more attacks and he was down.

...You were correct. An Ether1 was behind the boulder event. I guess it's nice.

And now back down the mountain to see what happens if you defeat Indra first.

:edit: Oh the battle plays out very differently, he has the same AI he has as when he's with the Creams so he'll try to (and much more successfully) apply Armor and Shell, but he'll also cast Wall haphazardly when hit by magic so he casts Wall on Shiva then can't get through and Protect/Shell and goes down in 3-4 Bio/Viruses.

Oh... Oh I see, Shiva eventually stops playing Nice, even goes into a second pose.

Her Ice-3 is survivable, but just so. It killed Palom and Porom but left Furio and the White Mage still standing so I was able to revive Porom and go from there, her speed seems to have been shot to pieces by repeated slows, even though she does counterattack with Slow on every hit and Psych when magic is used against her (that is a very dangerous counterattack actually, I was not aware that was the cause)

It took a bit longer and was much more intense, but when you take out Indra before Shiva (and he casts Wall on her bouncing off the protection spells) it becomes much deadlier.

Ah there's the error... "Another great struggle for your survival." Unless there's some hidden backstory about the Twins protecting Furio specifically, I imagine that was meant to be Our survival.

I don't think I've said it yet, but these "Epic Choices" are one of the Best ideas I've heard of for any kind of RPG Hack, especially Final Fantasy which ordinarily only has one set storyline. Don't forget I did turn the broken Event Instruction into "If battle was lost Skip to next event" if you wanted to base any future choices on the outcome of a specific battle. That hack should also give you the means to have the variable mercenary say and do different things.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 08:07:07 PM by Grimoire LD »

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2015, 08:27:26 PM »
Some of the following may be redundant. I keep trying to respond, and every time I get to the "preview" of my response, you've written more :)

I guess I did fix the witch's AI. If I make her a Boss, that will fix her level-down problem...
She was actually the original inspiration of the elemental rings for sale, BTW.

I have not implemented the fix to broken evasion (not that I'm against it, just haven't done it), which makes the whole Aim thing pretty mysterious.

I knew about Cure1 because most enemies can have Cure1 stolen.
That won't be true in the final product of TfW. While Cure1 will be the most common, many normal foes will yield tools that make a little bit more sense. Elemental darts will be a pretty common drop, actually.

Does Lilith not have that great of Spell Power? She tried to cast Sleep and Charm, failing in both occurrences, granted she may have been trying to cast Charm on Furio who has the Headband
It might partly have to do with the level-up hack. Problem is, if I make her able to hit you at all before you have the twins, she hits almost too well when you do have the twins. I think.

at first I thought that leaving the Creams alive may have prevented Indra from using Thunder. I did not appear to be correct.
Indra actually is the same exact monster - even runs the same AI script - so I'm not really sure why you had such disparate experiences with him with and without the twins. While he is tougher without the twins because of his speed, I can't think of any reason why his thunder would be stronger.
Your description of your most recent encounter shows me that his AI is working properly, though.

I believe you are confusing Drain for Absorb, in Threat from Within they use Drain on themselves which does nothing, when Absorb is what they normally use to heal 10% of their HP.
You know what? I think I may have done away with Absorb in favor of one of my custom blue magics. I probably didn't pay very close attention to what it does and (based on the name) assumed it was a drain-type attack, so when I war "repairing" the Bat script, I just stuck Drain where Absorb was.
D'oh.
Oh well, like I said, easy fix.

I may need to ask for some help on that. I already have the Different Party Arrangements through Event Flags working fine for the Custom Event Instruction. But getting them to appear is another matter all together, I was hoping to learn a bit through the "Display Character Graphic" which is literally "search through the five slots. Load whichever slot it says to do so". Not very mod friendly.
Sure, it's not really complicated assembly, just a matter of changing the right piece of ROM. Not at all related to the "change character graphic" event instruction, though.

Ah, as for Shiva, I had a thought while at work today, why not have her cast Stop on Palom when Fire Magic is used on her? That would provide a disincentive to using Fire, but still make it possible to utilize.
Not a bad idea, but the problem is getting her to target the caster of the fire spell. Cinna has fire magic, too, as do Blank and Furio if your level is high enough... Not to mention the fact that, if you don't face Shiva on Mt Ordeals, she will turn up later, at a time when you don't have the twins at all. Monster AI allows you to target a specific character, but does not allow a counter attack to target the original offender.
Question: When you faced Shiva, did her Psych not serve to inhibit a magical onslaught? That was definitely part of the plan going into it.

Oh, I was referring just to silhouette which shows up against the black background... was that not intended?
I need some clarification here, because this is really important to me...
On my TV, you can't see "the shadowy figure's" silhouette except when the lightning flashes. All other times, it's a black palette NPC against a black background and therefore invisible. If it doesn't come across as such for you, then I'll need to make an adjustment.

I don't think I've said it yet, but these "Epic Choices" are one of the Best ideas I've heard of for any kind of RPG Hack, especially Final Fantasy which ordinarily only has one set storyline. Don't forget I did turn the broken Event Instruction into "If battle was lost Skip to next event" if you wanted to base any future choices on the outcome of a specific battle. That hack should also give you the means to have the variable mercenary say and do different things.
Epic choices were actually inspired, of all things, by the otherwise a ridiculous FFX-II. At one point, you have to choose sides in that game, and all subsequent events play oiut differently as a result. TfW won't be quite as heavily impacted by the Epic Choices, but that is where I got the idea.
Yeah, I am a big fan of your recent event instructions and I do intend to implement that one. All of the current events were scripted before you did that, but it's in my sights for everything I'll have to do down the road.

"Another great struggle for your survival."
I mean "our" as in, the entire world's survival. Acknowledging the fact that the events of FFIV and TAY have already threatened the planet's survival.
I'm open to a suggestion on rewording that so the meaning is clear.

Well, I do hope my feedback is somewhat useful at least
Oh, definitely. The things you're giving me here are showing me exactly what I need to work on before I get this to the point where it's clean enough to put up for larger consumption.
From you, I know I'm getting the opinions of someone who both is as big a fan of FFIV as I am, and completely appreciates the amount of work that goes into a project like this. Doesn't hurt that you're also more detail-observant than I tend to be, too.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2015, 08:52:58 PM »
Some of the following may be redundant. I keep trying to respond, and every time I get to the "preview" of my response, you've written more :)

I guess I did fix the witch's AI. If I make her a Boss, that will fix her level-down problem...
She was actually the original inspiration of the elemental rings for sale, BTW.

That makes a lot of sense, yes I do think the price of the Elemental Rings should be raised by a fair amount, I fear they might marginalize difficulty otherwise.

I have not implemented the fix to broken evasion (not that I'm against it, just haven't done it), which makes the whole Aim thing pretty mysterious.

I'm wondering if it had something to do with Claws, I believe I had Furio equipped with a FireClaw at the time instead of another sword which seems to give highly variable amounts of damage. Since this time I had the Mute Dagger and the Stealth Knife and was dealing pretty good damage.

That won't be true in the final product of TfW. While Cure1 will be the most common, many normal foes will yield tools that make a little bit more sense. Elemental darts will be a pretty common drop, actually.

That is actually rather good to know.

It might partly have to do with the level-up hack. Problem is, if I make her able to hit you at all before you have the twins, she hits almost too well when you do have the twins. I think.

I did not run into any Liliths on my way back up with them, so I can't quite say.

Indra actually is the same exact monster - even runs the same AI script - so I'm not really sure why you had such disparate experiences with him with and without the twins. While he is tougher without the twins because of his speed, I can't think of any reason why his thunder would be stronger.
Your description of your most recent encounter shows me that his AI is working properly, though.

At this point I think I'm misremembering. I may not have actually tried to leave the Creams alive while fighting Indra.

Sure, it's not really complicated assembly, just a matter of changing the right piece of ROM. Not at all related to the "change character graphic" event instruction, though.

Could it be applied to more than one character? If you can set up a scheme to have those NPC slots load whatever is in the corresponding slots, you could save a bit of NPC Room and not have to plan for every occurrence of a party member.

Not a bad idea, but the problem is getting her to target the caster of the fire spell. Cinna has fire magic, too, as do Blank and Furio if your level is high enough... Not to mention the fact that, if you don't face Shiva on Mt Ordeals, she will turn up later, at a time when you don't have the twins at all. Monster AI allows you to target a specific character, but does not allow a counter attack to target the original offender.
Question: When you faced Shiva, did her Psych not serve to inhibit a magical onslaught? That was definitely part of the plan going into it.

The first time I fought her I swear she only cast it once and it did cause a lot of problems since it was on Porom, but I didn't recall her casting it after that. With this though it was clear Psych was her magic counter. So nevermind, I think Psych is a good deterrent.

On my TV, you can't see "the shadowy figure's" silhouette except when the lightning flashes. All other times, it's a black palette NPC against a black background and therefore invisible. If it doesn't come across as such for you, then I'll need to make an adjustment.

The silhouette in Geiger's shows up as a black silhouette against a grayish-black background and the silhouette is darker than the background itself.

Epic choices were actually inspired, of all things, by the otherwise a ridiculous FFX-II. At one point, you have to choose sides in that game, and all subsequent events play oiut differently as a result. TfW won't be quite as heavily impacted by the Epic Choices, but that is where I got the idea.
Yeah, I am a big fan of your recent event instructions and I do intend to implement that one. All of the current events were scripted before you did that, but it's in my sights for everything I'll have to do down the road.

Haha! I had hoped you were going to say something like Tactics Ogre (where it also has end of chapter large choices to make that have great effects completely changing the course of the story in many cases.) but I guess FFX-2 is as good as any inspiration I suppose.

I mean "our" as in, the entire world's survival. Acknowledging the fact that the events of FFIV and TAY have already threatened the planet's survival.
I'm open to a suggestion on rewording that so the meaning is clear.

Indeed... but you have "your" not "our". Which either makes Palom and Porom as feeling that they're the designated protectors of the world (which could also make sense). While "our" is a shared undertaking.

From you, I know I'm getting the opinions of someone who both is as big a fan of FFIV as I am, and completely appreciates the amount of work that goes into a project like this. Doesn't hurt that you're also more detail-observant than I tend to be, too.

I don't know if I'd say I'm more detail-observant. Only that when I'm testing a mod or a hack, I try to explore every possibility to show the creator's trust in me to test their work was not misplaced. (Within reason. of course)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »
Oh yes Chillyfeez, I noticed when you learn a spell in TfW it just says "Learned Spell." I imagine this was done for the same reason that was giving me problems earlier...

It display Eight letter spell names past a certain index (why is beyond me. The player could not have been planned to learn them at any point) and so your spell names became garbled.

I found the fix, if that was indeed why you changed it...

$02/A542   C9 48   CMP #$48   A:0084   X:7506   Y:0010

Just change that to... pretty much anything above your player spells, not that it matters that much, the game Should never load enemy spells in the first place in that box.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »
Oh, good. Thanks for that.

So, I'm going through my list of things I want to polish up (thanks in no small part to your notes).
Just wanted to report that your fix for Thrown weapon graphics works like a charm. The custom Kunai image is showing up as intended. Right palette and everything!

:edit:
I'd also like to report how sad I am that I'm now at 777 posts, but the images aren't working, so I don't get the Lucky 7 graphic
 :bah:

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »
So I had a good idea for the "float cancelling" item.
It's the Lead Shoes. Instead of being a "key item" type of thing, which originally did not show up in the inventory, it's a usable item in battle. Palom and Porom will give you one, but they will also be for sale in the Mysidia item shop (which isn't accessible until you get the boots from them anyway, so that won't mess with the story).
I also worked in some code that makes any floating battle participant automatically weak to the Air element. Which, silly enough, was not the case by default (it just so happens that most flying monsters have the "weak to air" bit set).
This little subroutine replaces the normal weakness (not "very" weakness) check opcode:
Code: [Select]
$03/E395 AD 04 27    LDA $2704  [$00:2704];Load Status Byte 2
$03/E398 29 40       AND #$40             ;Check if floating
$03/E39A F0 05       BEQ $05    [$E3A1]   ;If not, skip the following
$03/E39C 4A          LSR A                ;Divide A by 2 (making it 20, the value the weakness byte would be if target was weak to air)
$03/E39D 0D 20 27    ORA $2720  [$00:2720];Combine "20" with target's existing weakness byte
$03/E3A0 60          RTS                 
$03/E3A1 AD 20 27    LDA $2720  [$00:2720];Load target's weakness byte
$03/E3A4 60          RTS                 

Between the Lead Shoes and the Float spell, the player now has control over a target's weakness to Air and vulnerability to Earth.
Obviously, this gives reason to the Raven miniboss casting Float at the beginning of the battle, and casting Quake in the middle, as was the original plan for this battle script.

That will make the Raven battle quite a bit trickier, so I'll have to playtest and possibly adjust its stats a bit now...

:edit:
Oh, Grimoire, I was going through my notes from your recent playtesting and I discovered something you asked that I never answered (had to confirm first)
Yes, Sight, when used in battle, is the new Scan. I always thought it was pretty stupid that they were two separate spells, since the original Sight has no use in battle. The spell space formerly used by Scan is now one of the three Holy spells. My White Magic list has Holy1, Holy2 and Holy3, giving White Mages a bit more of an offensive toolkit, and still keeping in line with the lore I'm employing in my story.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:35:40 AM by chillyfeez »