Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35770 times)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
Re: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!
« Reply #300 on: November 21, 2017, 07:44:49 PM »
Ok. There is only one instance of STA $2101 in the entire Namingway loading routine, but if I alter the value written to 2101 it messes up Namingway, the character battle sprites, and the finger cursor. So I guess that means those are all sprites (I was already pretty sure the characters and the finger were)?

To change where X,Y you must convert X,Y in video memory address and then write it in $2116. If you want to change x+1, the address must be increased by 2. Also x+1 mean 8 pixels to the right :D
Ok, so... The routine writes 4600 to $2116, and I can see the Namingway image data gets written to $8C00 (4600 * 2), but it doesn't seem like increasing that 4600 by 2 shifts the image to the right... is it definitely the value written to 2116 that I would need to change?

Squall

• Hell's Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 22, 2017, 06:18:35 AM »
Please don't alter the $2101, just read the value written there, particularly bits 5-7 (sets Sprite size).
Post the code here, so we can delve in details. Keep in mind that reading/writing to video could be auto-incremented. So even if you have initial value in the address ($2116), if you have some read/writes ($2118/$2139) after initialization and the code you are looking, the address has been already changed! Besides as I said the transfer could be done trough DMA/HDMA ... it all depends.

You know what? Lets do something else:
 - Download vSNES (the tool I've talk about)
 - Make sure you use zSNES as emulator. Load the ROM and when the namingway screen pops up - make a savestate
 - Send me or attach here that savestate
* You can check for yourself many things in vSNES - like what mode you use, layers, tiles, sprites,...

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 23, 2017, 10:29:07 PM »
Hey, Squall - I made a new thread for this project. Let's continue the discussion there, OK?