Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35785 times)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (The Preview)
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 09:47:28 PM »
I do love the story of mercenary forces (hence why my actual attempt at a mod for FFT was FFT:Mercenaries) it's also a neat reference to SEED. I might not care much for the execution of FFVIII's story but I enjoyed the concept of it at any length.

I love challenge runs (as evidenced by my own mod) and I appreciate that its still possible to have them here. I am glad to hear that you're already planning future parts to it. Let's see... an optional White Mage or Black Mage, but not The White Mage or Black Mage of FFIV so I'm going to guess either Baron (with their White and Black Magic Classrooms) or possibly Kaipo as it's Tellah's hometown (well Mysidia is technically his birth place but he lived for many years in Kaipo)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 12:20:15 AM »
Oh, sorry, that was meant to be rhetorical. It's Mysidia.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
Believe it or not, I have been continuing to work on this. Slowly but surely.
Of course, as I learn new stuff, I have to include new stuff, so the progress of making a new demo version is slow going.

That being said, it's no secret that I just spent some time working with title screens, so of course I had to apply what I learned from that process to my own hack.

Here it is!

What do you guys think?

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »
Whoa. That is pretty nifty Chillyfeez, the font used for a Threat from Within looks a little... off,  but other than that the scrolling effect, the faded in credits and the sword glow was  excellent! I am always glad to see the fruits of labor displayed in full.

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 12:20:46 PM »
Wow very nice!  I like it. 

Let me know if you want me to do another font chillyfeez.  :)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 03:08:36 PM »
Wow very nice!  I like it. 

Let me know if you want me to do another font chillyfeez.  :)

That would be great. Pixel artistry is not my strong suit as I've said before. This was actually a 1:1 copy of a font from MS Word, but I had to use 10 point font in order for it to fit in the space you originally used, and the ten point font stretched into a bigger space does look a little wonky.

I want it to be written in a cursive-style font so that the letter-by-letter fade gives some semblence of the effect of it being handwritten across the screen.

I don't know how feasible a better font is in light of that request and the space restrictions... What do you think?

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 02:44:42 PM »
I will need to look in to this.  I've got 1,000's of fonts so maybe I've got some that will work with the space allowed. 

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 07:30:37 PM »
I will need to look in to this.  I've got 1,000's of fonts so maybe I've got some that will work with the space allowed.

Cool. Would it help to have a copy of the ROM as it is now?
I mean, I used pretty much the exact same space that you used for the original. Except I had to use one of the few tiles you dummied out for quite literally one pixel (at the very end of the n).

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 07:53:47 PM »
Yea shoot that over to me.  I will play around with it to find a good looking font.  :)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 08:35:39 PM »
Well, it's not as polished a demo as the one released a little over a year ago, but I've been eager to get something out, so here:

Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within v 0.3 beta

This includes all of the changes I made, including but not limited to: significant updates to the Limit system, chocobo catching (although the final prize doesn't exist yet), the (pretty much) full second chapter, and of course the new title screen.

If anybody wants to play through and let me know what they think, I definitely appreciate the feedback. Full play through of what I've done so far will likely take 1.5 hours or so, and there are definitely some bugs I haven't ironed out yet...

:edit:
Oh, yeah. This should be applied to a clean, unheadered (which is new for me) 1.1 ROM.

:edit: 2
Link target removed. See below for new file.
 :isuck:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:27:47 AM by chillyfeez »

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2015, 09:08:58 AM »
Excellent! I am always eager to play another update to A Threat from Within! I'll post my thoughts on it as I go along and compare it to the first demo and see how things have changed (hopefully Avon's invincibility Limit wears off now, hehe)

Hmm, still looks as if the Sun is glitched and the Earth is still missing an enormous chunk of it. I don't recall the colors being messed up last time however. Might be faulty memory.

Oh ho! I love this new opening! The battle with Edge idea is rather neat and stealing from him seems to net a ?rare? item and it even evokes a reaction from Edge himself! Nice touch!

And... I think I noticed a glitch, a rather game breaking one I should say... after the first turn, or the first time you take an action and your turn comes up again, or you go to one menu, leave, and try to enter another in the battle the game softlocks. Period. I know the ROM is unheadered because I tried applying it to a headered rom and the game wouldn't load and I am certain it's 1.1, any idea what might be happening there?

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2015, 09:46:08 AM »
Hmm... I put this patch up a bit hastily. I wonder if I forgot to apply my FF4kster Battle Breaking fix patch before I put this up...

Unfortunately, I'm on my way to work now, but I will look into it.

The glitchy sun is suspicious, but the glitchy earth is something I still haven't figured out how to fix.

So, okay, I'll work out the battle issue (probably easy) and resend the patch within a day.

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »
No worries mate take your time!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »
Well, starting at 7:30 PM today, I'm on vacation for a week (and not going away this time), so time is something of which I will have plenty. Especially if it continues to snow here in Upstate new York like it did yesterday and today...
 :lame:

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »
Yes, it was just as I thought. I forgot to apply my "FF4kster Battle Correction" patch before putting this out.
So, problems with the glitchy sun and battles softlocking fixed.

This should work:
Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within v 0.3.1 beta