Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35774 times)

Rodimus Primal

• Siren
    • View Profile
Re: FF II: A Threat from Within - OPINION(s) NEEDED FOR SOMETHING
« Reply #225 on: August 08, 2016, 06:59:36 PM »
Awesome work there as always chillyfeez!

Gedankenschild

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 08, 2016, 08:44:48 PM »
Hey chillyfeez, is it your birthday? The forum says so.
Happy birthday! :cookie:
You've got to be kidding me with that Dynasty Warriors registration question??!!
I barely know such a series exists...

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 08, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »
It is. Thanks, Gedankenschild!
I turned old today.
Where does it say that, btw? I don't think it's ever told me when one of you has a birthday...

Squall

• Hell's Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 09, 2016, 08:21:09 AM »
Happy birthday chillyfeez!

I think you must enter your birthday date in your profile in order others to see when you have a birthday.

Gedankenschild

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2016, 10:00:51 AM »
When there's a birthday it shows up in the info center part on the main page.
You've got to be kidding me with that Dynasty Warriors registration question??!!
I barely know such a series exists...

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »
Oh, OK. I hardly ever look at the forum's main page, I usually just click on my bookmark for FFIV.

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 09, 2016, 12:39:06 PM »
Happy birthday man!!

EDIT: Got a WIP of a scroll icon in the works. Meant to do this ages ago, but got sidetracked by town edits and other projects, so sorry for the wait. :isuck:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:33:16 PM by Bahamut ZERO »
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 09, 2016, 04:12:52 PM »
Oh, great. I love the first one.
Thanks!

Squall

• Hell's Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 10, 2016, 02:14:07 AM »
Whoah what a nice font on the attached picture Bahamut ZERO! Is it the actual font used in the game?
If so do you know its dimension? Does it fit in a tile?

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 11, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »
Whoah what a nice font on the attached picture Bahamut ZERO! Is it the actual font used in the game?
If so do you know its dimension? Does it fit in a tile?

Thanks for the kind words! No, it's not the original game's font, it's a heavily (and I mean HEAVILY) tweaked Tecmo Secret of the Stars font, with the numbers being ports from Final Fantasy Legend III. It's what I'm using for my project. :D

Since I don't want to be an ass and throw up a screens of my project in chillyfeez's thread, I'll be, uh, less of an ass and and throw up some pics of it in action in TFW instead.  :wink:

I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2016, 08:57:56 PM »
Since I don't want to be an ass and throw up a screens of my project in chillyfeez's thread, I'll be, uh, less of an ass and and throw up some pics of it in action in TFW instead.  :wink:
LOL

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2016, 09:43:59 AM »
So, as I'm working on this project, the notion has been steadily creeping up on me... And I think it's about to hit critical mass: I'm running out of room!

It hit me hard just recently as I used up the last bit of space in dialogue bank 3, which is tiny anyway. But as I transferred some larger messages in bank 3 to bank 1, I started noticing that in bank 1, I'm already up to message 195. Then I looked in the ROM at the amount of space left in Bank 1 - ~800 (h) bytes. And in case you're wondering, the game is, at most, 1/3 complete.

...yeah...

If I polled the folks over at RHDN about the issue, I know exactly what I'd get: expand the ROM. Duh. But you all know as well as I do that doing so would break FF4kster compatibility, which is unacceptable.

So... I think I devised a feasible plan. I'm gonna take a page out of the PS1-era playbook and make the game several "discs." When I wrap up the chapter I'm currently working on, I'll have the last event set a specific flag that indicates "switch to disc 2." (Or Part 2, whatever). Then I'll put a constant check in the program loop for that flag. If it's set, the game will automatically jump to a routine that tells the player "you've completed part 1. Please begin part 2." Obviously Part 2 would have a similar check, which would tell the player "you haven't completed part 1 yet." The messages would instruct the player to read the hack's readme file for instructions on managing the multiple parts (how to rename the save file, where to put the files so that the emulator can find them properly), so that hopefully most lay players would still be able to enjoy the game.

And that would give me the freedom to use as much dialogue as I need to and not really worry about space consequences. Not that this has been an issue yet, but I've been a tad worried about the amount of events I'm using, too, and this would put my mind at ease there as well.

Any thoughts on all this?

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »
I like the sound of a "Multiple Disc" style setup.  It would give you a massive amount of freedom when it comes to dialogues,events, even changing up enemy formations a bit if you want.

Plus as an added bonus, if you go this route it pretty much makes it damn near impossible for someone to make TFW repros later down the line. Win win!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2016, 02:11:49 PM »
I like the sound of a "Multiple Disc" style setup.  It would give you a massive amount of freedom when it comes to dialogues,events, even changing up enemy formations a bit if you want.

Plus as an added bonus, if you go this route it pretty much makes it damn near impossible for someone to make TFW repros later down the line. Win win!

Hmmm... Does anybody here ever use flash carts? Would this prevent flash cart play? I don't care if folks can't make repros, but it would be bad in my mind if this made it impossible to play on original hardware at all.

Squall

• Hell's Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2016, 05:59:19 PM »
The messages would instruct the player to read the hack's readme file for instructions on managing the multiple parts (how to rename the save file, where to put the files so that the emulator can find them properly), so that hopefully most lay players would still be able to enjoy the game.
That will be terrible from player perspective and will greatly reduce the number of possible users ..

Why dont you put all the content on 'Disk 2, 3,..' in the expansion. This way no need for warning, a player will have no need to read 'readme' and the ROM itself will keep current layout. Think of the expansion as an external hard-drive :D