Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35788 times)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Damcyan Quakes Video)
« Reply #210 on: June 30, 2016, 12:24:27 AM »
Another video of an earthquake inside Damcyan Castle. This is a modified version of the visual effect that used to shrink the hallway in Baron.
This particular quake will have a specific purpose in the story, but I won't give it away right now. Thus video is just to show off the work I've been doing.
https://youtu.be/gol6yvKLXKk

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 03, 2016, 12:33:18 PM »
It's starting to sound like armageddon's on the horizon! I really dig the direction this hack's going.

I started over again the other night due to not playing it in ages (haven't touched FF4 in general in a while, but I'm jumping back in) and re-realized you replaced the fat chocobo on the item storage menu with a nifty bag! How'd you do that?
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 03, 2016, 01:09:30 PM »
It was somewhat complicated as I recall... I couldn't just change the sprites because Fatty is still an NPC in the game, so I think what I did was set a breakpoint to when the game reads the beginning of the  first sprite, then traced it back to wherever it specifies to begin there and replaced that with a new location, where I had drawn in those new sprites (which were copied off of some stock image I found online - fun anecdote, I was originally considering using Dora the Explorer's Backpack, but couldn't find a suitable image).

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Hey, guys, I could use some outside opinions on a small matter...

Now that I'm at a point where the player can finally hire a Bard, I'm making some adjustments to the Sing command.
The possible outcomes are now:
- (1/8 chance) Fail
- (1/4 chance) Slow
- (1/4 chance) Charm
- (3/8 chance) A spell that depends on which weapon is equipped

Now, for the dependent result, it will be something relatively weak, like mute or blind, if any non-harp weapon is equipped. Each harp (and there will be five altogether) will allow the bard to cast a specific spell. My working list is:
Sleep
Stop
Death
Virus
Flare (like the Twins' spell)

Sleep will be the Dreamer harp, the one the Bard comes equipped with. Flare will be the Ultimate harp (no name as yet).

So my question is, with respect to the remaining three songs/spells, in what order should they become available? What's the order of usefulness of these spells?
Or should I swap one or more of these out with something different?
Also, does anybody have any good ideas for names for these harps?

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
Re: FF II: A Threat from Within - OPINION(s) NEEDED FOR SOMETHING
« Reply #214 on: July 20, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »
Hmm I'd say go with Virus/Stop/Death for the ordering.

Couple names off the top o' my head:

Halting
Deadly
Sickly
(Harp symbol) of Fate
Chronos (or Cronos or h/e it's spelled)
Infected
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 20, 2016, 05:32:26 PM »
Ooh, I like Chronos/Cronos for the Stop harp!
Fate is pretty good, too (for Death).
I like the term "infected," too, though I also like the sound of "sickly strings." I'll have to mull that one over.
You're probably right about the order, though Death, remember, won't work on Bosses or the undead...

Gedankenschild

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2016, 09:44:38 AM »
What about targeting? Will a single or multiple enemies be targeted by the spells?  :hmm:
You've got to be kidding me with that Dynasty Warriors registration question??!!
I barely know such a series exists...

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
Multiple. That's one of the advantages of Sing (in my hack, at least). The spell is picked at (semi-) random, but it costs no MP and affects all enemies.

Gedankenschild

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »
I almost never used Stop in the original game, but it can be very helpful. I'm thinking of the treasure chests with monsters in Eblan. The monsters are way too strong for you when you get the airship. But when you throw an item casting Stop on all enemies at them, you can easily win. :D

So it depends a lot on how susceptible the enemies are to it.
You've got to be kidding me with that Dynasty Warriors registration question??!!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 03, 2016, 08:56:19 PM »
Yeah, I never used stop either, or any support magic, really, but that doesn't mean I don't think they could be useful. What's nice about Stop is that it's not a status that can be resisted, so no one monster is more immune to it than any other. In theory then, an AOE stop ability would be pretty useful in tough dungeons - more so than AOE Death, because often high level monsters (and zombie types always) are immune to instant KO.

In other news, piggybacking on the item description expansion I worked on for Rodimus Primal, I worked a new feature into item descriptions for TfW - equipment descriptions!
The final product will show:
For normal weapons: Attack power, cast spell, all stat adjustments
For thrown weapons (stars, darts): "Thrown weapon," attack power
For Bows: "Used with arrows," attack power (TfW won't have any bows that adjust stats)
For arrows: "Used with bow," attack power
For berserk weapons (TfW will have 3 or 4): Attack power, "Adds Berserk," all stat adjustments
For defensive equipment: Defense power, Magic Defense power, all stat adjustments

I have all of that working except the stat adjustments so far. Some screenshots:

And, yeah, it's actually reading the info from the equipment, so if I change the equipment, the description will automatically adjust.
That little black box is where the stat adjustments will start. I haven't written the code for that yet, and I expect that it's going to be kind of a bear, based on how the stat adjustment system works, but it's gonna be so cool once it's all done.

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 05, 2016, 04:27:27 PM »
In other news, piggybacking on the item description expansion I worked on for Rodimus Primal, I worked a new feature into item descriptions for TfW - equipment descriptions!
The final product will show:
For normal weapons: Attack power, cast spell, all stat adjustments
For thrown weapons (stars, darts): "Thrown weapon," attack power
For Bows: "Used with arrows," attack power (TfW won't have any bows that adjust stats)
For arrows: "Used with bow," attack power
For berserk weapons (TfW will have 3 or 4): Attack power, "Adds Berserk," all stat adjustments
For defensive equipment: Defense power, Magic Defense power, all stat adjustments

That is freakin AMAZING!! :omg:

fedorajoe

• Mom Bomb
  • "G...Golbez!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 05, 2016, 08:09:48 PM »
Why are all of you gods and wizards?

This is amazing work.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 07, 2016, 01:03:46 PM »
Got it all working! It was a bit complicated making the stat bonuses work, and I had to create some squish tiles for the express purpose of making Str, Agi and Vit fit on one line, but the results are sooooo satisfying!
Here's a video of the descriptions in action

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 08, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
*Mind explodes*

Gedankenschild

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2016, 01:57:17 PM »
Awesome! :omg: