Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35775 times)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Version 0.6.0 Available)
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2016, 06:37:44 AM »
She's entirely optional even if she does show up. She'll block access to the sword in the treasure chest in that cave, but in the long run that's not a big deal. The game will force you to traverse the Highwind Pass at least two more times, so it may be nice to have her magic seal broken, but as previously discussed, you'll lose the chance to gain her as a summon if you beat her. It's a choice with no real right answer.

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2016, 02:55:22 PM »
Found out something pretty neat while randomly scrolling through my FF4 project in a hex editor with no table file loaded.

7FC0-7FD5 in an unheadered rom will take you to the "FINAL FANTASY 2" text that displays when you load the rom on a typical emulator. Turns out there's some space to add some more text in (not a lot of it, but there is some). There's juust enough space there to make it say FF2:Threat From Within. :)

Yes, this is practically useless info. Still, I find it neat that this text is editable, and thought I'd oughtta share.
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2016, 03:36:41 PM »
I've seen that before but never played with it. Good to know!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 15, 2016, 01:06:15 AM »
So I'm trying to play through, and I realize that the fight with Indra (and not Shiva) is basically impossible. Or I'm just not very good at this game. Gonna have to look into the AI for that one...
Aside from that, things are looking good so far.
 :edit:
Impossible without a thunder ring, that is. Still, that's a problem.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:33:53 AM by chillyfeez »

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Octomamm Battle Video)
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2016, 03:10:53 PM »
So, as I mentioned in another thread, I've been working on some stuff for the Octomamm battle, which will be (probably) at the end of the next release.

Here's a video of what it'll be like

There are still a couple of minor details to iron out - mostly AI related - but you can get the picture anyway.

If you're wondering why Rydia and Cinna don't cast magic once all of the tentacles are defeated, it's because doing so causes Octomamm to regenerate all six tentacles (with reduced HP, but still...). I kinda wanted to show that, but I didn't want the video to run too long.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
I'm this close to releasing the next episode. I just need to play it through first to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

Hopefully this weekend.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
OK, so I just finished my play through.
Jeez, what am I gonna do when this thing gets close to being full-length?!

I noticed a couple of things I wanna take care of before putting the patch up. Nothing game-breaking, but I figure if I'm willing to fix things, I should be willing to polish them too...
 :bored:

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
Glad to hear everything's coming along nicely, man!

Also, since I just offered to Rodimus the other night on RHDN: If you'd like to use any of the graphics I've been porting/making I'd be more than happy to share what I've got and get done in the future.

I mean, I'm sure you probably don't want to use any of the enemies I've edited, but if you wanna use anything else feel free to let me know.

Which reminds me... I'm an ass and haven't done the ninja scroll icon I promised you yet. :lame:

Is there a particular style you want for it? By that I mean do you want it looking like an open scroll (like someone reading it), or would you rather like it to be unopened (first thought that comes to mind are the scroll pickups from Mystical Ninja)?
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
No worries. I certainly wasn't in any hurry for it.
I was thinking along the lines of the Mystical Ninja-style, but I understand it's a small space to work with and really only two colors, so whatever you can do I'd appreciate.
I've been considering whether to use any of the graphics stuff you've done. I'm kinda torn because I really like some of it, but I don't want things to stand in the way of feeling like a sequel to the original game. I was thinking maybe I would pick and choose a few things that could be pasted into the ROM to make certain elements seem "modernized" or "updated," seeing as it's supposed to take place 40 years later.

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
No worries. I certainly wasn't in any hurry for it.
I was thinking along the lines of the Mystical Ninja-style, but I understand it's a small space to work with and really only two colors, so whatever you can do I'd appreciate.

Ah, okay! I'll load up a Mystical Ninja rom and use that scroll icon as a reference then.

I've been considering whether to use any of the graphics stuff you've done. I'm kinda torn because I really like some of it, but I don't want things to stand in the way of feeling like a sequel to the original game. I was thinking maybe I would pick and choose a few things that could be pasted into the ROM to make certain elements seem "modernized" or "updated," seeing as it's supposed to take place 40 years later.

That's definitely understandable. If you want I can send you a copy of my project with a save file so you can walk around and see the graphics in action. Screenshots only do so much justice lol.

As for certain elements being modernized or updated, what kind of things do you have in mind? Seeing as I'm constantly thinking up different ideas but haven't gotten to them due to lazyness/working on other stuff, there's always a chance what you're wanting is also something I've been meaning to do but haven't been motivated to sit down and get it done yet.  :cycle:

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Version 0.7.0!)
« Reply #205 on: June 05, 2016, 04:58:19 PM »
Well, here it is - the next "episode."

Final Fantasy IV: A Threat from Within v0.7.0

As usual, apply the patch to a clean, unheadered copy if FFIIUS v1.1.

Not much story progression happens here, but there's a new town (Kaipo), a new dungeon (The Watery Pass), a new boss (Octomamm) and a new sidequest (Cactuar hunting).

Some screenies...

The Kaipo Bard School

Cactuar Sidequest

Battling Octomamm

Feedback is always appreciated!

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Demo v0.7.0 Available!)
« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2016, 12:14:45 PM »
Woah, nice spritework on the bard NPC! It's nice see them walking around with their harps.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2016, 03:15:25 PM »
Heh - he's actually not walking around with the harp. I switched the harp tile to a "walk behind" and put a non-walking bard on that spot. In an event similar to the original's dancing girls, he'll play a song for you if you talk to him.

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2016, 11:29:17 AM »
Ahhh, I see. very clever!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Damcyan Quakes Video)
« Reply #209 on: June 19, 2016, 05:09:49 PM »
So if you've been following the game's story so far, then you know that Furio and crew are enroute to Damcyan to protect it from Titan. So, along the lines of the random lightning flashes in Mysidia, I rigged random earthquakes into the vicinity of Damcyan.
The quakes will only trigger when you're in the general vicinity of Damcyan, as well as within Damcyan Castle, the Antlion Cave, and the west station of Mt. Hobbs. And of course they're flag-dependent, so once Titan is defeated they'll stop.
The video also offers a sneak peak of the repairs and renovations I made to Damcyan castle.
Enjoy.
https://youtu.be/btZbuXTm0x4