Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35776 times)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Version 0.6.0 Available)
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »
So here it is!

In addition to the complete Highwind Pass dungeon, the entire demo has received some balance updates based on the feedback from Grimoire's and Kea's most recent playthroughs (back in the fall... I think?).

*Elemental claws are no longer available from the beginning of the game. As a matter of fact, short of a few rare steals claws are not around at all. You'll have to wait until you get to Fabul to buy them.

*Most bosses have received some stat and/or AI updates

*That chest on Mt. Ordeals, the one that gets blocked by the boulder, now contains a really nice prize for a white wizard to use, but you have to beat a really tough monster to get it

*instead of Firebombs, Lit-Bolts, and IceShards being strewn all about and for sale in most shops, they are now only just rare treasure finds. Because their damage is based on the user's HP, Lv. 50 Rydia was just blowing monsters away with them. It was kinda ridiculous. Some shops will sell Flame, Flood and Blitz scrolls, which use a weakened form of the Ninja spells on the entire enemy party, and some monsters will drop (or can have stolen from them) Bomb-Arms, N.Winds, and ZeusRages, which use a weakened form of Fire2, Ice-2 and Lit-2 on a single enemy.

Some screenshots, which I have because I'm putting this update up on RHDN, too:

Final Fantasy IV: A Threat from Within (v 0.6.0)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:54:09 PM by chillyfeez »

Kea

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2016, 05:21:35 PM »
Nice, I'll try out the new update soon. Probably from the beginning again to see how it plays now.

Gedankenschild

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2016, 02:13:09 PM »
How interesting! So many changes...
I'm really looking forward to trying this once I've had a break from my own project. Am I the only one who doesn't feel like playing and hacking the game simultaneously? Don't want to be consumed entirely by it! :whoa:
You've got to be kidding me with that Dynasty Warriors registration question??!!
I barely know such a series exists...

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2016, 04:10:36 PM »
Oh, totally, Gedankenschild.
I spend so much time play testing my own stuff that I generally don't play any games these days. Except mobile games, but that doesn't really count.

Kea

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2016, 01:09:54 PM »
It's the same for me, I rarely play long games anymore...usually just Downwell or something bite-sized like that.

Gedankenschild

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2016, 11:13:10 PM »
I've been playing some older PC games from GOG recently, but my hacking project is always on hold during that. These older games never take as much time as newer RPGs. I really wanna replay Final Fantasy XII at some point and collect all the rare stuff... :whoa:
You've got to be kidding me with that Dynasty Warriors registration question??!!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2016, 12:06:56 AM »
You know, I never got through XII. It was the first one that I ever played but did not finish.
The Gambit system, I think, sounded much cooler on paper than it actually was when it played out. It ended up taking twice as much prep time as FFT, but then the battles were so much less engaging. All because - what - we decided we would try to gain a larger fan base while alienating the one we already had by abandoning ATB?
 :wtf:

Now that I've been getting a taste of its story through FFRK, though, part of me is tempted to go back and give it another whirl.

Maybe in 2055 when I finally finish making TfW...

Gedankenschild

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2016, 10:49:07 AM »
When I saw the first screenshots of XII I was prepared to hate it. I don't care about MMORPGs and it looked like it tried to be one.

Didn't play it until about 2009 and totally loved every second of it! It's become one of my favorites actually. It's funny, this is the game that fans of classic FF games are supposed to hate because it finally destroyed what the series was all about. Wasn't true for me at all. Finished it twice and am so looking forward to playing the English patched Zodiac Job System version! :childish:

You know, releasing games episodically seems to be the thing nowadays. Insofar you're doing what everybody does.

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with FFXII.  I loved doing the hunts and how well it pulled off that mix of FFTA and traditional FF...

But at the same time, it's somewhat annoying as hell for me. I remember going through one of the tomb dungeons in the storyline to get the legendary sword thinking to myself "Sweet, a badass weapon to help me carry myself onward to the next town!" just to find a merchant directly outside of said temple selling weapons that were 5-15 points stronger.

The Gambit system, while cool in it's own right, eventually kills the fun once you realize that you can set up your characters to completely auto-pilot kill (mostly) everything you run into. I mean, it feels REALLY rewarding whenyou first get that insane setup you prefer using, but the gameplay basiacally drops down to the level of:

1) walking
2) Oh shit monsters! Nvm, they're dead now (or you are lol)
3) more walking

Ranting aside though... still fun. Especially when the playthrough is spaced out.
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2016, 03:54:23 PM »
You know, releasing games episodically seems to be the thing nowadays. Insofar you're doing what everybody does.
Yeah, that's kind of how I was hoping people would treat it, since it's taking so long to do. Problem is, I really have no way of knowing if/how many people are playing it. Sometimes I really wish Google Drive would have a feature that tells me how many times a file I share has been downloaded. But anytime I get bogged down in those thoughts, I try to remind myself that I'm really doing this for myself first and foremost, and if it hapooens to please other people along the way that's just kind of a bonus.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2016, 01:41:17 AM »
So I spent two solid days writing custom code that causes walking NPCs that also have the "march in place" bit set to always turn right (when they can't go straight), so I can make a guy chasing a girl at the cafe in Kaipo.
It's little details like this that make this darn hack take so long...
 :omg:

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2016, 10:53:20 AM »
Haha! Well I hope it gets put to even better use. It sounds like it could be used for patrols (but then we'd need to have events that start when the NPC is touched, rather than interacted with which I imagine could be more than tricky)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2016, 12:18:59 PM »
Yeah, between that and making a separate floor tile that NPCs can't walk on (as mentioned in BZ's thread), I'm sure I can come up with some other fun uses for this...

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2016, 02:00:11 AM »
Well, last time I tried this (about a week ago or so) I only got to Agart before wiping and realizing I forgot to save so I got discouraged. I'll be more careful this time and actually pick up mercenaries.

I like the addition of Ninja "scrolls" in the Item Shop, allows the player some early elemental magic at a cost.

Oh I see, Imp Hit does actually work properly. Is it based on Level like FFV? Or is it just a low% chance of working?

Geez, I can't believe it took me this long to realize that the four minions of Ifrit are the optional summons of FFIV! It makes the Roc's name as "Dummy" make Perfect sense.

I like the idea of the Ninja Limit Break, but I feel it needs some graphical indication of some kind. Otherwise it does just seem like a normal attack despite it hasting everyone and slowing the foe.

Whoa, stole a couple of Bomb-Arms from the Water Bugs! While not very useful against Ifrit they would definitely be useful against Shiva.

This does remind me, I really wish we could find a way to make the colors from events stay after the menu is accessed but as the screen seems to be redrawn that may be a bit much to ask for.

Ice Kunai seemed more effective than Ifrit than they had in previous versions. All in all it felt like the battle was more fast paced. The inability to get infinite Ice Kunai from the Summons makes him a trickier foe to deal with, a very well planned first boss.

I noticed that Corio's telescope is still standing. I assume that will not be in the final version and those tiles will be put to something else that isn't a one screen telescope?

Um... when you talk to the Innkeeper in Agart he asks "Do you have permission?" Yes/No get the same result of "He drinks me under the table, but he's a good guy." which is speech from another NPC in the Inn. I am not sure if this is new or has been here since the start.

This run I think I will go 2x Ninja all the way through obeying orders as they come up.

I just noticed that this kid in Agart talks about joining REMA. The only muscle of it we see in the game is Furio. Do we ever meet any of the other leaders or soldiers of REMA?

Oh man, I have to say playing through this again makes me fall in love with your style of writing every single time. Also, not sure if I said this a long time ago but I just realized that Palom's change of appearance even from FF4:TAY is a reference to FFI's Black Wizard class. Neat!

The Elemental Rings are still around, hmm? I thought they were going to be moved? Then again I may be thinking of something else all together.

Seems as if the Witch was updated. With an automatic back-attack she deals around 3400 damage with Ice-2 and uses some nasty statuses. It would appear as if the Frozen Ring is a nigh necessity to beat her now.

Well, I sold the RubyRing, a Tent, a Dagger, and two Bomb-Arms to buy the Frozen Ring and indeed it worked great against her. Here's a fun little "pro-strategy", if you go in with the Mute status from the Mute Gal you can't be hit with Bind.

Onto Mt. Ordeals! Two Ninjas should be an interesting trek. No Claws to help along the way this time though.

Well! Looks as if the Weak to Air - Float status is working properly!

It seems like the Raven's Quake spell isn't 100% Accurate, thank goodness!

The Raven is definitely much tougher, at Level 16 for Blank and 13 for Furio I ended up losing. Another case of Mute preventing a Status, thus it became tougher to keep the person on the ground alive. Ultimately it's better to take the heavier Wind damage instead of risking the insta-kill Quake.

Getting up to the Summit if you actually fight battles feels like a proper journey, using a good amount of supplies along the way.

Was the Cure Rod always this expensive? Maybe it has an upgraded effect if it costs this much.

Wow, the Cure Rod is indeed, good. 400+ HP Heal!

I also picked up a Coral Ring with the last bit of my money.

On the way back to Mt. Ordeals I ran into two FloatEyes that were dealing upwards of 160-200 damage, they gave me 20 GP and 70 Exp. Balancing these things in a dynamic level up system must be a nightmare I imagine.

Yikes! Did I make a mess of that battle. I attacked Ramuh consistently as he powered up Shiva and he even got through a Cure-Z once. Second time around I took him out and was left with a vastly powerful Shiva. Northern Cross killed everyone but the Frozen Ring wearer Blank, down to 2 Life Potions I used one on Palom and Porom. Palom dealt a bit more damage with Fire-2 while Porom healed him once, using the Ether 1's as it happened. Blank was dealing 1 damage to Shiva at this point, then I remembered I had a Bomb-Arm that I hadn't sold and exactly 4 Fire Kunai. The Frozen Ring does make you nigh invulnerable for that section of the fight, but at 1 damage it seemed like it was going to be a while before it would be over. But with the last throw of a Fire Kunai, it was lights out for Shiva!

4000 Gil... may as well pick up the Burning Ring for good measure.

Um... when the Sailor heals the party, he brought back Furio with 0 HP. Talking to him again brought his HP to full. May that deal something with the order of commands are in the event? I imagine it's probably "Heal HP" than "Remove Status" instead of vice versa.

Hmm, what do Goggles do anyhow? I'm sure I asked this before... likely prevent Blind, but that doesn't seem worth the trade off of Wisdom/Will for the Gaea Hat or the Strength loss on the Headband.

I should've bought more Heals, I forgot how Status heavy this fight becomes.

Is it realistically possible to defeat the Tentacles without Palom and Porom? I recall you mentioning that you get a rather nice reward if you do beat the Tentacles rather than having them retreat.

A slight oversight perhaps, you still have the GP Bag after delivering it to Edge once you get back from Mysidia.

I never did get into that cave in Baron, I should see if I can't catch a Chocobo, though it's getting rather late tonight so I'll get Ceodore and resume tomorrow.

I love the Dragoon Hall, I know I said it last time, but it bears repeating. It feels like a legitimate piece of FFIV lore.

Ahem...! Uh, you might want to take a look at this...

EDIT: Is running into Imps supposed to happen in the Town of Baron? Every step on the grass is a battle with 3 Imps.

Last time I played I must not have gone into Cid's old place. I rather like this characterization for Mid and judging by his wife's speech it seems he may be important later on.

Unless I endure 60+ Battles on the way there I can't really get the treasure behind Baron, ah well. It's not a big loss.

Heh, that Dragoon saying "want to play cards?" reminded me of Triple Triad, I can imagine how difficult that would be to program into FFIV, hehe.

I forgot how brutal Ceodore was by throwing your partner down the stairs!

So I picked up a full compliment of the Shadow equipment, the penalty of the Darkness Armor seems a bit extreme. Considering how important Agility is in this game in particular having that reduced by 5 as well makes the armor nigh unusable because it would undoubtedly cause the loss of an Attack Multiplier in addition it has the same defense as the Iron Armor. Now unless it has some resistances or something I'm unaware of, as of now I can't see the use of it.

Well that's truly enough for tonight! I''ll finish this run tomorrow.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:35:25 AM by Grimoire LD »

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2016, 05:07:58 AM »
Woof - definitely some unintended bugs there...

Agart Innkeeper
Being Muted should not provide immunity to other statuses. I thought I "fixed" that aspect of ffiv for this hack...
But Raven's Quake should hit 100%
You're probably right about the sailor's healing
Edge should remove the GP bag
There surely should not be encounters in Baron. Noe even sure how that happened...
I will have to look at the stat boinuses/penalties of the dark equipment. They shouldn't be so significant.
 :edit: oh, and the pots instead of water.

All of those were unintentional and are first on the list of things to fix.

Everything else I will have to address later. Gotta get ready for work now.

Always a pleasure to watch your playthroughs!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 08:34:59 AM by chillyfeez »