Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35782 times)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Version 0.5.1 Available)
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of TAY, either, but I can't make something that is intended to be a sequel to FFIV and completely deny its place in the canon. That's kinda how the maenads speak, so that's how she speaks. But she's going to be an extremely small character anyway, so I can lice with you not liking her.

Re:the mist dragon battle - I almost didn't put it in there at all, but it seemed like if the eidolons were attacking humans, and Furio and rydia were trekking out specifically to stop them, they should probably have to face her as they pass through her cave. I am open to suggestions of how to liven the battle up.

Glad you mostly enjoyed it. Thanks again for your feedback.
Having caught a chocobo, did you happen to realize that the chocobo time trials are available to you? Go back and talk to the fat chocobo, then enter the cave in the Highwind Pass if you wanna try it out.

Kea

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2015, 10:56:48 PM »
I hadn't figured out the time trials, no. I'll give it a try.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »
I composed a new song, tentatively the Highwind Pass theme...

https://youtu.be/BYVcWW7hI3U

Thoughts?

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2015, 12:48:47 PM »
Any chance you could save an spc file of the song playing and post it up? I only ask because my ancient internet refuses to load Youtube. :lame:
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2015, 04:12:30 PM »
Here's a patch that replaces the Main Title Theme (Crystal Room music) with the new song, so it will play right on startup. That's not what I'll be replacing in TfW - it's just for demo purposes.
Apply to an unheadered 1.1 ROM.
If it's possible to save to an spc file, that is not something I've learned how to do.
 :blush:

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 20, 2015, 06:58:32 PM »
Here's a patch that replaces the Main Title Theme (Crystal Room music) with the new song, so it will play right on startup. That's not what I'll be replacing in TfW - it's just for demo purposes.
Apply to an unheadered 1.1 ROM.
If it's possible to save to an spc file, that is not something I've learned how to do.
 :blush:

I like that melody! Nice use of xylophone.

Also, you can save an spc file by going to File - Save Other - Save SPC Data in Snes9x.  That's how I made the spc files for the overworld arrangements I posted in the SPC Creations thread.  :banonsmash:
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »
...huh. I wonder if I could have made my life, like, 1000 times easier if I had known that when I was researching the game's music engine.

I think the inspirations for this song were the ice cavern in ffix and the cave/dungeon music from FFT. I was originally worried that it wasn't interesting enough. It doesn't sound much like what I originally composed in midi, because ffiv's instrument samples are terrible. I think it came out interesting enough, though. The timpani is my favorite part, I think. I don't know about the harp part (the really quiet one). That was originally composed as a French horn, which ffiv doesn't even have. Thought I could maybe substitute trumpet, but that sounds terrible.

Anyway, there you have it...

Kea

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2015, 09:32:05 PM »
I found the Chocobo time trial. The way it's hidden in the Highwind Pass was a good use of invisible tiles. I tried out the race too; it's cute, and impressive that you coded it in FF4's engine, but I got stuck on the last stretch before the end; there's a black chocobo in your way on a one-tile-wide strip and no way to get past him or force him past the bridge.

The new Highwind Pass theme sounds good, especially the xylophone, but the instrument that comes in at 0:35 sounds a little weak and indistinct. It sounds better at 0:57, so the instrument itself could probably be made to work.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2015, 10:35:46 PM »
Re: the black chocobo on the one tile-wide strip - you have to wait until he goes all the way south. There's one tile south of the bridge you're coming from. when he gets there you can walk past. You can also push him along as he moves north - NPCs walk faster if you push them. Just make sure to get out of his way as he heads south again so he can make it to that one important tile.

Re: the instrument at :35 and :57 - I think that's the harp I was talking about in my last post. I really wish ffiv had a French horn...

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2015, 12:28:10 PM »
...huh. I wonder if I could have made my life, like, 1000 times easier if I had known that when I was researching the game's music engine.

I think the inspirations for this song were the ice cavern in ffix and the cave/dungeon music from FFT. I was originally worried that it wasn't interesting enough. It doesn't sound much like what I originally composed in midi, because ffiv's instrument samples are terrible. I think it came out interesting enough, though. The timpani is my favorite part, I think. I don't know about the harp part (the really quiet one). That was originally composed as a French horn, which ffiv doesn't even have. Thought I could maybe substitute trumpet, but that sounds terrible.

Anyway, there you have it...

Sucks to hear that the trumpet wouldn't make a good substitute. I was about to suggest perhaps having two trumpet tracks at relative octaves to try to imitate the sound you're looking for.

ffiv's instrument samples are terrible

I'll agree with ya there! I mean, there are a number of ones that are pretty great (Strings 1. Harp, Organ) but there are more than a few I've been researching on how to replace like Strings 2, Black Chocobo whistle, one of the pianos, etc. If I ever figure out what the hell I'm doing and make some progress on it, I'll definitely see about getting some French Horn action happening haha.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »
Sucks to hear that the trumpet wouldn't make a good substitute. I was about to suggest perhaps having two trumpet tracks at relative octaves to try to imitate the sound you're looking for.
Might be worth a try. As it is, I have exactly one unused track, and having two tracks play the same music in different octaves uses minimal ROM space.

avalanche

• Mom Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »
I particularly like the arpeggio bit at 1:20.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
That is quite a fun little song, fantastic work Chillyfeez!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2016, 04:32:15 PM »
I'm posting this mostly because the forum's been so quiet of late.
I'm very close to releasing a new version with a completed Highwind Pass.
This is a going to be a really fun, unique dungeon.
The mountaintop area (three-plus screens worth) is completely magic-sealed. No magic abilities can be used in battle or from the menu (magical weapons and items still work in battle).
There's an optional boss who may or may not be there depending on an earlier epic choice, and the end boss should be an interesting challenge.
Plus the new music, and the mountaintop is a snow-dungeon, which is mostly lacking in FFIV, as Grimoire LD once observed.
I just have to put together the "exit" map (the last area after the final boss), which I should be able to get done this weekend, and it will be ready for release.
I'm hoping there are some willing play testers out there because I'm really pretty fond of this one!
 :cycle:

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 12, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »
I'll be able to try this out on Sunday. I'm always looking forward to updates on projects!