Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35773 times)

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Version 0.5.1 Available)
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »
Oh boy, Rydia's finally in the mix! Yeah, definitely starting a new game, being as it's been awhile since  I've played.  :happy:

I'll give feedback as I go through, of course!
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2015, 05:53:14 PM »
Alright, back to it now. I picked up a Stealth Dagger, Fireclaw, and Chainmail, then I was out of money, though the smart thing to do would be to pick up two Stealth Daggers to offset the Agility loss and maintain the 4 Attack Multipliers. But ah well, I'll get the money soon enough.

Took out the Witch, again in one hit. (Is her level adjusted far too high, hence why she dies in one hit?)

It took numerous tries but I managed to beat the Raven at Level 16 solo. I used up my Cure2's against Ifrit already and I bought 20 Cures (along with the Cures I already had from stealing, etc) before I left Mysidia, I saw the Lead Shoes, but left them there. I assume that Aero only hits while floating.  The Raven's physical attack is nothing special so when it went into it's Attack/Quake/Attack phase I could heal up nicely before rejoining the fight.

Well since this is a solo run obviously Furio wouldn't go to get help.

Made it to the top of the mountain, but we'll see if anything can really be done with my admittedly scarce supplies against Ramuh.

Cure Z? Yikes! Can't say I recalled him having that before! I guess it forces a confrontation instead of leaving the two Cream alive.

Well, Level 18 so time to head back to Mysidia to pick up a Coral Ring.

So, picked up a Coral Ring, another Stealth Dagger and some FireBombs, I may have it now.

With two Stealth Daggers and the Chainmail I should have another Attack Multiplier to make up for the loss of Agility and gain of Strength.

I forgot that the Coral Ring gave three Agility, meaning I didn't need to buy that other Stealth Dagger, ah well. It might be useful in reaching the 32 though.

Ramuh is down, again you can't really lose against him if you have the Coral Ring equipped.

Now onto check out the new stuff!

At Level 20 Furio learns Pin, very nice!

I see the silhouette is much cleaner now, as in it's only there when the Lightning strikes, not sure if you did anything for it or if it's just the emulator change.

Imp Capn's are definitely tougher than before!

Still an Ether 1 in that normally blocked off chest, bah.

"King Edge is *and* old friend."

Now onto the new content!

Oh man! You did an amazing job with this Ship layout, it's so nice to actually move on the ship instead of going through everything.

Goggles, eh? Well, I have the money. Sounds like they'll prevent Blind.

Just realized I may have wanted to pick up a Thunder Claw, ah well.

I loved this boss fight! Clearly it's not intended to be fought alone, but  after some planning it was doable. I needed to keep my multipliers so though I bought the Goggles I didn't equip them. I also stocked up on Heals and Cure2's. During the first two phases I struck the first one when I could and just stayed blinded, then with the Second Phase I learned clearly not to attack unless I want to be Cursed, this was the time to use Heal (after it used Venom) and Cure2 to get back in. I got lucky against the Binding one but was Paralyzed several times. I could fight the fifth phase that has weak defense and nothing special but a decently powerful attack when it leaves and recover with the Sixth Phase, using plenty of Heals to cure Blindness time and time again. All in all it was a great fight! I managed to get it to retreat on either the third or fourth phase cycle.

Now to see what Edge says and call it a day.

A fantastic scenario piece here. Palom and Porom's reactions were all rather genuine and the use of "The Lunarians" theme to explain history was extremely well founded. So off to Baron to meet with Cecil, then to Mist to meet with Rydia and Damcyan to see Edward then? Looking forward to it!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2015, 11:25:46 PM »
Alright, back to it now. I picked up a Stealth Dagger, Fireclaw, and Chainmail, then I was out of money, though the smart thing to do would be to pick up two Stealth Daggers to offset the Agility loss and maintain the 4 Attack Multipliers. But ah well, I'll get the money soon enough.
I usually skip the chainmail altogether, but I've also never tried to solo...
Took out the Witch, again in one hit. (Is her level adjusted far too high, hence why she dies in one hit?)
... I completely forgot to fix her. She's supposed to be virtually impossible without a frost ring, but I'm also not sure the reward is worth the effort/cost that would require. Though a frost ring in your back pocket could be its own reward...
It took numerous tries but I managed to beat the Raven at Level 16 solo. I used up my Cure2's against Ifrit already and I bought 20 Cures (along with the Cures I already had from stealing, etc)
Cure2s can be stolen from: Larva, Imp Cap, Ghoul - all of which can be found for farming before reaching Raven (I may be mistaken about Ghouls, but the other two for sure).
before I left Mysidia, I saw the Lead Shoes, but left them there. I assume that Aero only hits while floating.  The Raven's physical attack is nothing special so when it went into it's Attack/Quake/Attack phase I could heal up nicely before rejoining the fight.
Actually, Aero still hits if you're on the ground, but its damage increases if you're floating. I changed the weakness check a bit so anything floating is weak to air. Of course, the trick is that if you use the lead shoes, you will definitely get killed by quake. That's just kind of an obnoxious middle finger to players who don't save frequently...
Well since this is a solo run obviously Furio wouldn't go to get help.

Made it to the top of the mountain, but we'll see if anything can really be done with my admittedly scarce supplies against Ramuh.

Cure Z? Yikes! Can't say I recalled him having that before! I guess it forces a confrontation instead of leaving the two Cream alive.
I think it was originally Cure2, which didn't work because WIS, then I think I changed it to White Wind. Honestly not sure why that one got the axe... Maybe you knocked him down too quickly once and it ended up only healing a couple hundred? Anyway, yeah, the point is to make you kill Indra last, so, mission accomplished.
Well, Level 18 so time to head back to Mysidia to pick up a Coral Ring.

So, picked up a Coral Ring, another Stealth Dagger and some FireBombs, I may have it now.

With two Stealth Daggers and the Chainmail I should have another Attack Multiplier to make up for the loss of Agility and gain of Strength.

I forgot that the Coral Ring gave three Agility, meaning I didn't need to buy that other Stealth Dagger, ah well. It might be useful in reaching the 32 though.

Ramuh is down, again you can't really lose against him if you have the Coral Ring equipped.
... Yeah. How do you feel about that? Is the Coral Ring expensive enough that that's OK? I don't want this to be super-hard like Combat Boost, but I don't want it to be stupid easy either.
Now onto check out the new stuff!

At Level 20 Furio learns Pin, very nice!
Heh, in all my playthroughs so far, I've yet to reach lv 20 with Furio.
I see the silhouette is much cleaner now, as in it's only there when the Lightning strikes, not sure if you did anything for it or if it's just the emulator change.
I made the backgrounds and the "pitch black" character palettes both true black. The consequence of which is that Furio semi-disappears when walking through secret passages, but, meh.
Imp Capn's are definitely tougher than before!
Yes, they benefit significantly from the level-up hack. The 3-imp, 1-imp cap battles can be a little tricky once your APL is higher, since most players will slaughter the imps, leaving Cap'n alone to use ImpHit, which likewise gets stronger as your level gets higher!
Still an Ether 1 in that normally blocked off chest, bah.
Mmm, yeah. Not sure what to put in there. Maybe an Elixir? I never use elixirs, really, but I feel like they're always good for the odd hard-to-get treasure...
"King Edge is *and* old friend."
Oops. Thanks.
Now onto the new content!

Oh man! You did an amazing job with this Ship layout, it's so nice to actually move on the ship instead of going through everything.
Thanks! I really want to have some other use for the ship tileset, but I'm not sure I will. Another one or two battles on the ship might be the best we get...
Goggles, eh? Well, I have the money. Sounds like they'll prevent Blind.
Yup. They're also just a good helmet at this stage in the game. And everyone can use them.
Just realized I may have wanted to pick up a Thunder Claw, ah well.
It probably would help, but isn't necessary.
I loved this boss fight! Clearly it's not intended to be fought alone, but  after some planning it was doable.
If you solo'ed Indra, then don't you have Palom and Porom? Or did you kill them?
I needed to keep my multipliers so though I bought the Goggles I didn't equip them. I also stocked up on Heals and Cure2's. During the first two phases I struck the first one when I could and just stayed blinded, then with the Second Phase I learned clearly not to attack unless I want to be Cursed, this was the time to use Heal (after it used Venom) and Cure2 to get back in.
Interesting strategy. It only counters "Fight" with curse, though, so you can chuck some Lit kunai during that phase, or Aim if you happen to have a Wizard (black magic is OK, too).
I got lucky against the Binding one but was Paralyzed several times. I could fight the fifth phase that has weak defense and nothing special but a decently powerful attack when it leaves and recover with the Sixth Phase, using plenty of Heals to cure Blindness time and time again. All in all it was a great fight! I managed to get it to retreat on either the third or fourth phase cycle.
It will always retreat after the third or fourth cycle. Each time it changes form, the condition flag increases. When it hits a certain number, it retreats.
So simply keeping yourself alive is enough to survive that battle. It is possible to defeat the tentacle. It doesn't give Exp or GP, but there is an awesome prize. Might not be possible to do solo, though, and there is a trick in the AI to keep you from taking the (maybe) obvious easy way out.
Now to see what Edge says and call it a day.

A fantastic scenario piece here. Palom and Porom's reactions were all rather genuine and the use of "The Lunarians" theme to explain history was extremely well founded.
Beginning with the ship scene, I think, I started to noticeably improve my ability to pace story scenes. Reporting the Mysidia mission... I honestly don't know what I would have done without the conditional event script hack. I guess I would have made two different events, and somewhere in the middle of the game I would have just run out of events entirely! Interesting side note here: If you take Palom and Porom up Ordeals to fight Shiva and Indra, you actually get a cut of the GP reward... A couple thousand for your successful mission.
So off to Baron to meet with Cecil, then to Mist to meet with Rydia and Damcyan to see Edward then? Looking forward to it!
Sounds easy enough. Those are all great people who should be totally willing to help make your trip easier, right? ;)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2015, 01:04:21 PM »
I usually skip the chainmail altogether, but I've also never tried to solo...

Well even in a normal playthrough the Chainmail with two Stealth Knives (or a Stealth Knife and a Coral Ring) can easily give another Attack Multiplier as well as needed Defense for the often soft Ninja.

... I completely forgot to fix her. She's supposed to be virtually impossible without a frost ring, but I'm also not sure the reward is worth the effort/cost that would require. Though a frost ring in your back pocket could be its own reward...

I like the sound of that. The Mute Knife is really good if you're going in with a Black Mage though so it seems worth it in that regard.

Cure2s can be stolen from: Larva, Imp Cap, Ghoul - all of which can be found for farming before reaching Raven (I may be mistaken about Ghouls, but the other two for sure).

You can also buy them at Mysidia. I didn't run into Larva outside the Agart Siege however.

Actually, Aero still hits if you're on the ground, but its damage increases if you're floating. I changed the weakness check a bit so anything floating is weak to air. Of course, the trick is that if you use the lead shoes, you will definitely get killed by quake. That's just kind of an obnoxious middle finger to players who don't save frequently...

Ah, I thought it was more of a "scare" to keep the player floating that the Quake would deal less damage compared to the combined Aero's.

I think it was originally Cure2, which didn't work because WIS, then I think I changed it to White Wind. Honestly not sure why that one got the axe... Maybe you knocked him down too quickly once and it ended up only healing a couple hundred? Anyway, yeah, the point is to make you kill Indra last, so, mission accomplished.

I think that was the issue with White Wind, I do recall he had that in an earlier version.

... Yeah. How do you feel about that? Is the Coral Ring expensive enough that that's OK? I don't want this to be super-hard like Combat Boost, but I don't want it to be stupid easy either.

I think a Boss should always have a method of damaging the party. I've done a little bit of research on Ramuh through the FF series and it seems while his attacks are predominantly Thunder he has had two other attacks. One is Judgement Staff, which is just as it sounds, attacking with his staff, may want to give it one ailment or another. In FFV he casts Mini in battle so I could see his physical attack inflicting that. And the other one is Chaotic Strike which apparently deals heavy damage and stuns a foe. I would personally only let him use that one if there's another character in the party. Of note in FFVI he also imparts Poison in his Magicite. Maybe give him Venom as well?

Mmm, yeah. Not sure what to put in there. Maybe an Elixir? I never use elixirs, really, but I feel like they're always good for the odd hard-to-get treasure...

Hmm, I noticed that you can steal the Thunder Rod from Ramuh (and the Mute Dagger is made for them than it is Furio). Maybe a White Mage Staff of some sort in that chest to balance out the bonus for the Black Mage?

Thanks! I really want to have some other use for the ship tileset, but I'm not sure I will. Another one or two battles on the ship might be the best we get...

Hmm, if there is any more map room to spare and if the scenario allows it why not add in a Naval battle? This was an idea I was kicking around for Combat Boost at one point to play with the party of Cecil, Yang, Edward, and Rydia one last time. One of the bonus dungeons in FFIV:TAY has an example of a Boat filled map.

If you solo'ed Indra, then don't you have Palom and Porom? Or did you kill them?

To keep it true solo, I KO'ed them both before the events.

Interesting strategy. It only counters "Fight" with curse, though, so you can chuck some Lit kunai during that phase, or Aim if you happen to have a Wizard (black magic is OK, too).

Speaking of such was the formula on Throw changed? I noticed that I was dealing only 90-140 damage with them as my Level should should have been allowing me to deal much more.

It will always retreat after the third or fourth cycle. Each time it changes form, the condition flag increases. When it hits a certain number, it retreats.
So simply keeping yourself alive is enough to survive that battle. It is possible to defeat the tentacle. It doesn't give Exp or GP, but there is an awesome prize. Might not be possible to do solo, though, and there is a trick in the AI to keep you from taking the (maybe) obvious easy way out.

Ah, was unaware of that. With a real party I'll have to try and beat that sometime.

Beginning with the ship scene, I think, I started to noticeably improve my ability to pace story scenes. Reporting the Mysidia mission... I honestly don't know what I would have done without the conditional event script hack. I guess I would have made two different events, and somewhere in the middle of the game I would have just run out of events entirely! Interesting side note here: If you take Palom and Porom up Ordeals to fight Shiva and Indra, you actually get a cut of the GP reward... A couple thousand for your successful mission.

I am glad my conditional event script hack came in handy. I think I noticed that as well in the Agart mission where you got some GP for that as well. I think your pacing has been pretty fantastic thus far all around. I love this build up personally.

Alright! So let's get back to it. I'm rather limited in time today so I might not find a clean stopping point.

Hmm, on the way to Baron I saw a cave next to a river which seems inaccessible without a Chocobo, hmm...

Heh, interesting subversion in Baron's Seaport with the other Kissing Girls.

Now into Baron proper...

Ah, the Dragoon Training Hall, somehow the Red does differentiate them quite a bit from Kain, good thinking.

Seems as if the Underground Waterway is gone now.

Whoa, Cure3 and JobCards! Did not expect that from the Baron Item Shop. Unfortunately I somehow have exactly 0 GP.

I like the new sign in the Baron Inn, works well to the Dragoon's renewed importance.

The bar is actually... well a bar, everyone aside from that one guard appears to be rather wasted. The Bartender is even talking about drinks instead of local gossip!

I do find it a little odd that Ceodore's name has been changed to just "Ceo". Or is it more of a nickname? If I'm not mistaken he should be pushing about exactly 40 by now.

Shadow Sword, Steel Sword, and Wind Lance, none of which Furio can equip. Moving on then.

Seems as if you sealed off the backway to the treasures behind the counters, but did add a pot with a Cure 2.

The new inhabitants of Rosa's house are pretty fun.

Ah, so Cid and Kain have passed away, that is a bit sad, but it is understandable it has been 40 Years, Cid alone would have been pushing 100.

Well as is customary I'll first go and try to break the plot by heading to Mist first.

Hmm, such little Exp. from the OldTrees.

Looks like you sealed Mist off, good consistency check.

Well I just found the secret in the Baron Training Hall, I was just going up to it to inspect it, heh. Some good stuff there, especially if you have a Dragoon.

I don't know what's going on with the right wall though, some of the tiles look out of place and there's a glitchy looking stairwell far off to the right. Is that intended?

Highwind Pass hmm? A fitting name for the mountain that Kain and Ceodore scaled.

Hehe, the Dragoon quick warp out of the room is rather cute.

Baron Castle sure is inviting now.

I love the new Magic Classroom where both the Black and White Mages get to test spells on the player now.

King Cecil is so liberal he lets total strangers sleep in his bed!

The Throne Room is just beyond this door? Did Baron go through some interior modeling?

Aww, this graveyard area speaks well to a character's personality being shown through actions. The silence is also perfectly fitting, well done. Did not realize that Rosa had also passed away since the lady that mentioned it only said she was ill. I am surprised there's no grave for the original King Baron.

Hmm, a secret path in the Graveyard. No idea how to get to that grass patch though, maybe I can't yet? Did manage to get the Elixir on the otherside, maybe this one is more just to taunt the player?

I like the elaborate entrance into Baron Castle.

Whoa, searching around the moat I ended up in a secret room. May be plot related as there is no entry beyond it.

Now that is interesting about Ceodore learning to use the Dark Sword. In the original FFIII the class that was to become the Dark Knight (at the time called Mystic Knight) could use the Dark Sword but had access to low level White Magic.

Ah, looks like that secret room I found looks to have 4 treasures in it if the Training Room is indeed connected to it.

Those soldiers lied, the Throne Room is still in the same place it ever was.

Haha! The guard wanting to be a Bard then starting to play Edward's Theme is great.

Ah, another Epic Decision to listen to Ceodore or to go to Mist to meet Rydia? Well this is the oft-reckless, pay no attention to anyone play through so time to barge in... after I save.

Oh, nothing happens. Ceodore just tells Edge not to bother Cecil. Or... what was the other option again? I just saved so I can't really check, maybe to go back to Edge?

Ah, maybe I misunderstood the syntax and Furio was saying that he needed to go to Mist regardless.

Well, I'm out of time for the day. I did not expect to spend so long in just Baron alone! Great work making it seem almost brand new!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2015, 02:53:40 PM »
I'm at work on lunch right now, so I don't have time to respond to everything, but just in case you get the chance to play again, here's the important part. The epic choice is:
1) try to convince Ceo to let you talk to Cecil, or
2) continue on to Mist to see Rydia

now let's see what else is here...

You can also buy them at Mysidia. I didn't run into Larva outside the Agart Siege however.
There's a small desert north of Eblan. Larva can be found there pretty easily. I expect the price of Cure2s would prohibit buying too many of them in Mysidia at that stage in the game.

I think a Boss should always have a method of damaging the party. I've done a little bit of research on Ramuh through the FF series and it seems while his attacks are predominantly Thunder he has had two other attacks. One is Judgement Staff, which is just as it sounds, attacking with his staff, may want to give it one ailment or another. In FFV he casts Mini in battle so I could see his physical attack inflicting that. And the other one is Chaotic Strike which apparently deals heavy damage and stuns a foe. I would personally only let him use that one if there's another character in the party. Of note in FFVI he also imparts Poison in his Magicite. Maybe give him Venom as well?
Good insights. Thatnk you, I will definitely use some of that to rewrite his AI a bit.

Hmm, I noticed that you can steal the Thunder Rod from Ramuh (and the Mute Dagger is made for them than it is Furio). Maybe a White Mage Staff of some sort in that chest to balance out the bonus for the Black Mage?
Also good. To this point I don't think there's been much incentive to use poor Ruby.

Hmm, if there is any more map room to spare and if the scenario allows it why not add in a Naval battle? This was an idea I was kicking around for Combat Boost at one point to play with the party of Cecil, Yang, Edward, and Rydia one last time. One of the bonus dungeons in FFIV:TAY has an example of a Boat filled map.
That's a fun idea, but it's not really in the cards. The kingdoms are going to remain relatively distant from the conflict in this story.

OK, I gotta go now. More later!

:edit:
Speaking of such was the formula on Throw changed? I noticed that I was dealing only 90-140 damage with them as my Level should should have been allowing me to deal much more.
Yes. The whole pint of doing so was to allow for elemental consideration. Throw, essentially, runs the fight routine, using the thrown weapon as the equipped weapon, with 255 attack %.
Seems as if the Underground Waterway is gone now.
Yup. Gone, and not coming back. I mean, how many times are you going to let undesirables sneak into your castle before realizing that the not-so-secret passageway is a bad idea? Besides, as you noted, King Cecil is pretty liberal. If you never get locked put of the front door, you'll never have to sneak in through the back.
Whoa, Cure3 and JobCards! Did not expect that from the Baron Item Shop. Unfortunately I somehow have exactly 0 GP.
It will be possible to complete this game with Ceo being the closest thing to a healer in your party (and I think he only goes up to Cure2), so it was necessary to make the cure potions relatively available, even if they're cost prohibitive at this juncture.
Job Cards, while expensive, also were not intended to be rare. By the time you get to Damcyan, you'll have access to all of the hired guns (except the secret one), and I don't want the player to be afraid to experiment with different party builds.
I like the new sign in the Baron Inn, works well to the Dragoon's renewed importance.
They're not looking for dancers anymore... Speaking of which, did you make the connection that the drunken dragoon is the "boyfriend" that the not-kissing-girl is waiting for by the fountain?
The bar is actually... well a bar, everyone aside from that one guard appears to be rather wasted. The Bartender is even talking about drinks instead of local gossip!
Mil Espinas Fermented Agave Nectar, just imported from Kaipo. By the way, the actual way that they make tequila is by fermenting a mixture of water and agave nectar. So they're drinking tequila, without me actually saying so in so many words. Also, an agave is a cactus. And "Mil Espinas" is Spanish for, literally, "one thousand needles." A new side quest will become available surrounding all of this info once the game gets up to Kaipo...
I do find it a little odd that Ceodore's name has been changed to just "Ceo". Or is it more of a nickname? If I'm not mistaken he should be pushing about exactly 40 by now.
His age depends a bit on what version of TAY you use for reference, and I tend to figure for the one that puts him closer to 36 or so. Anyway, the name change came primarily from the six character name limit. I guess I could have gone with "Ceodor,"which would be OK, since his name is a combination of Cecil and Theodor (Golbez), except TAY firmly sets his name with an E at the end, so I shortened it to Ceo.
If you haven't noticed yet, Ceo will be portrayed as a troubled soul. He's the human embodiment of "A Threat from Within," as he struggles with the light/dark struggle within himself, and has difficulty dealing with the loss of several loved ones. Anyway, to me, that kind of makes some sense of a conscious change of his name from one that combines those of his father and uncle to simply, Ceo. But it won't ever be explained exactly like that in the game.
Shadow Sword, Steel Sword, and Wind Lance, none of which Furio can equip. Moving on then.
The next several equipment shops you visit will primarily sell equipment that makes some contextual sense. So, Baron trains knights and dragoons, thus they sell swords, spears and heavy armor.
Seems as if you sealed off the backway to the treasures behind the counters, but did add a pot with a Cure 2.
Yeah, for a place that is widely regarded as the strongest military power on earth, Baron sure is big on getting raided and pillaged, huh?
Well I just found the secret in the Baron Training Hall, I was just going up to it to inspect it, heh. Some good stuff there, especially if you have a Dragoon.
If you hire Lando and then talk to all of the NPCs in the training hall, one of them will actually tell you about it.
I don't know what's going on with the right wall though, some of the tiles look out of place and there's a glitchy looking stairwell far off to the right. Is that intended?
Um, no. Definitely not. I'll have to look into that...
Highwind Pass hmm? A fitting name for the mountain that Kain and Ceodore scaled.
Ladies and Gentlemen, the real reason there's no ancient waterway.
I love the new Magic Classroom where both the Black and White Mages get to test spells on the player now.

King Cecil is so liberal he lets total strangers sleep in his bed!
The reason the black mage poisons you is actually to lead the player to realize that you can sleep in Cecil's bed. That fact is sort of semi-important.
The Throne Room is just beyond this door? Did Baron go through some interior modeling?
As a matter of fact, those guards always said that. I didn't change them at all.
Aww, this graveyard area speaks well to a character's personality being shown through actions. The silence is also perfectly fitting, well done. Did not realize that Rosa had also passed away since the lady that mentioned it only said she was ill. I am surprised there's no grave for the original King Baron.
I tried to imply that with what the old lady says. I wanted it to be like a thing that she couldn't bear to utter. But anyway, yeah, Rosa's dead. That's supposed to be the sort of straw that broke Ceo's back.
As far as King Baron goes... Do we even know where his body is? I think Kainazzo might have eaten it. The fact that Cecil tore down the tower where Odin's soul rested is both story-significant and developer-convenient, though. Rydia's Limit skill is Phoenix, which replaces Odin entirely. So Odin will not appear in this game at all.
Hmm, a secret path in the Graveyard. No idea how to get to that grass patch though, maybe I can't yet? Did manage to get the Elixir on the otherside, maybe this one is more just to taunt the player?
There's just the Elixir. And a little passage to give you fits :)
Not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about the guards hopping and spinning?
Whoa, searching around the moat I ended up in a secret room. May be plot related as there is no entry beyond it.
It will be a long time before the room beyond that point is accessible.
Now that is interesting about Ceodore learning to use the Dark Sword. In the original FFIII the class that was to become the Dark Knight (at the time called Mystic Knight) could use the Dark Sword but had access to low level White Magic.
It jives with the mythos of this game, too. Dark energy is Lunar, and Ceo is part Lunarian, but also inherited white magic from Rosa.

So anyway, yeah, your choice now is to try to convince Ceo to let you talk to Cecil, or to go onward to Mist.

I just thought of something. There's one boss left that you haven't fought yet. The way you're playing... It might be completely impossible. You will have acquired a new character by that point, and as having that character is not optional, the game presumes you will be using that character. I will be, shall we say, extremely impressed if you manage to win with only Furio.
I mean, by all means, try. But... Fair warning...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:06:59 PM by chillyfeez »

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2015, 08:19:05 PM »
Yes. The whole pint of doing so was to allow for elemental consideration. Throw, essentially, runs the fight routine, using the thrown weapon as the equipped weapon, with 255 attack %.

That's a neat idea! Good thinking.

They're not looking for dancers anymore... Speaking of which, did you make the connection that the drunken dragoon is the "boyfriend" that the not-kissing-girl is waiting for by the fountain?

Yep, considering the guard across from the table says it, hehe.

I
His age depends a bit on what version of TAY you use for reference, and I tend to figure for the one that puts him closer to 36 or so. Anyway, the name change came primarily from the six character name limit. I guess I could have gone with "Ceodor,"which would be OK, since his name is a combination of Cecil and Theodor (Golbez), except TAY firmly sets his name with an E at the end, so I shortened it to Ceo.
If you haven't noticed yet, Ceo will be portrayed as a troubled soul. He's the human embodiment of "A Threat from Within," as he struggles with the light/dark struggle within himself, and has difficulty dealing with the loss of several loved ones. Anyway, to me, that kind of makes some sense of a conscious change of his name from one that combines those of his father and uncle to simply, Ceo. But it won't ever be explained exactly like that in the game.

I like that thinking since TAY doesn't really finish his character arc, this seems like a good chance to explore it.

Not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about the guards hopping and spinning?

Yeah, I'm referring to the guards joyful entrance.

So anyway, yeah, your choice now is to try to convince Ceo to let you talk to Cecil, or to go onward to Mist.

I just thought of something. There's one boss left that you haven't fought yet. The way you're playing... It might be completely impossible. You will have acquired a new character by that point, and as having that character is not optional, the game presumes you will be using that character. I will be, shall we say, extremely impressed if you manage to win with only Furio.
I mean, by all means, try. But... Fair warning...

I'll give it a shot, hehe.

Hmm, unless I screwed something up Furio doesn't convince Ceodore and that plot line is left hanging for now. Maybe it will have some impact later...?
Oh! Oh, I see. I'm glad I tried that option. Heh.

Ceo: "...you're not going to *reamin* here!"

Furio's line of "Huh?!" to Ceodore. Is that a reference to TAY, where Ceodore often says that exact phrase?

But... since that line gets you Ceodore. I should try to tackle this without that path. By the way I really liked the back and forth between Furio and Ceodore. Furio comes off as intelligent and willful throughout it using reason to make his points.

Let's head for Mist alone!

I guess you have to at least talk to Ceodore, it makes sense.

Mist Cave's enemies were a bit challenging. Forget about fighting Basilisks, they can Stone Furio and that's that for me. I liked that you could steal FireBombs from Jelly's yet they were immune to Fire, heh. Weepers were also an interesting set of foes, though if Furio didn't get First Strike it was time to run, lest you be put to sleep forever.

Interesting bit of foreshadowing at the end of the Mist Cave.

Now onto Mist!

I liked the oddity of the two shopkeepers. It's the little touches that count.

Oh? Is that Cuore outside of Rydia's House?

No, Cuore is in the Fireplace, where all budding ?teenagers hang out? I wonder who the other green haired woman is outside of the home than?

Great work on the sprites by the way!

Looks like you approached Rydia's portrait in a very different style than it was in earlier demos. It looks quite close to the new sprite! Well done!

The conversation again felt rather natural, I enjoyed Rydia's little quip about Furio's name and the way he realized it. And Cuore's "Idiotic..." line is very reminiscent of the Maenad. So many great references you're put in this.

Looks like Rydia still has a full compliment of Black Magic.

Oh my goodness! That battle sprite is fantastic and it looks as if it is fully custom made! Great work!

Well. I unfortunately have to call it here... but I do see some obvious difficulties ahead with a Level 50 Character increasing the Level Average to a Ton!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2015, 10:34:09 PM »
Hmm, unless I screwed something up Furio doesn't convince Ceodore and that plot line is left hanging for now. Maybe it will have some impact later...?
So you figured out that you have to talk to him a bunch of times? How about the sleeping in Cecil's bed thing? Do you think you would have figured it out if I hadn't hinted at it?

Furio's line of "Huh?!" to Ceodore. Is that a reference to TAY, where Ceodore often says that exact phrase?
Yup. Ceo actually says it quite a bit, but I thought it was appropriate in the midst of a confrontation between the two of them that Furio gets a "huh" in there.

I just realized that without a hired party member, you missed the part where Ceo grabs him/her out of bed and throws him/her across the room and down the stairs.

But... since that line gets you Ceodore. I should try to tackle this without that path. By the way I really liked the back and forth between Furio and Ceodore. Furio comes off as intelligent and willful throughout it using reason to make his points.
The only problem with that scene is that it's optional, and without it you miss significant character development for both Ceo and Furio.

Oh? Is that Cuore outside of Rydia's House?

No, Cuore is in the Fireplace, where all budding ?teenagers hang out? I wonder who the other green haired woman is outside of the home than?
The lady outside Rydia's house uses Cuore's palette, I think. Mist is sort of a dying-out village, with Cuore being the only child raised there since Rydia. Sort of an easy way to make it so that Rydia is really the only significant thing about the town. There's really no need to keep going there. So since all the townspeople are old ladies or old men, I hade to use Cuore's palette so they didn't all look identical...
Anyway, I'm sure you tried to find the treasure in Rydia's fireplace before you went to talk to her. The treasure's still there. Cuore is literally blocking the way until after the event. So maybe she's not hanging out in the fireplace like all the cool teenagers do - maybe she's maintaining the treasure room, or something...

Oh my goodness! That battle sprite is fantastic and it looks as if it is fully custom made! Great work!
I can't take credit for any of Rydia's sprites. I consulted only. The pixel work was Bahamut ZERO. I agree, they're fantastic - especially the battle sprites.

but I do see some obvious difficulties ahead with a Level 50 Character increasing the Level Average to a Ton!
Yeah, the baddies won't be messing around, now... Looking forward to the next leg of your journey. You're pretty close to the end of the demo now.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2015, 06:45:59 PM »
So you figured out that you have to talk to him a bunch of times? How about the sleeping in Cecil's bed thing? Do you think you would have figured it out if I hadn't hinted at it?

I got to the point where he just kept saying "Leave me alone." it was only a last ditch effort (since I thought you were alluding to Baron Castle becoming a non-escape zone at some point and the necessity to use that as a healing spot) to think to sleep in Cecil's bed there. Since you have to at least talk to Ceodore in the Outer Court, it may be more pertinent to have Furio decide his choice there since regardless he makes some effort to talk to Ceodore regardless of the path chosen.

I just realized that without a hired party member, you missed the part where Ceo grabs him/her out of bed and throws him/her across the room and down the stairs.

That's... pretty harsh. I'll have to take a look at that next go around.

The only problem with that scene is that it's optional, and without it you miss significant character development for both Ceo and Furio.

It would seem so, yes.

Anyway, I'm sure you tried to find the treasure in Rydia's fireplace before you went to talk to her. The treasure's still there. Cuore is literally blocking the way until after the event. So maybe she's not hanging out in the fireplace like all the cool teenagers do - maybe she's maintaining the treasure room, or something...

Ah, FireBombs, hmm? I'll keep that in mind.

I can't take credit for any of Rydia's sprites. I consulted only. The pixel work was Bahamut ZERO. I agree, they're fantastic - especially the battle sprites.

Well done Bahamut ZERO, yes your spriting work is quite something, especially in FFIV where everything's not as cut and dry as it is for say... FFVI's spriting processes.

Let's see if I can make it to the end...

Oh neat, you changed the text for all of the NPC's in Mist with Rydia in the party. I especially liked the old man who mentioned that Rydia is making her mother proud, nice throwback.

Interesting, it seems as if you can't go back to Mist once you've gone back into the Mist Cave, and try to leave it repeats the scene where Furio and Rydia both sense something. Intended, but interesting all the same.

Hmm, the Mist Dragon casts "Holy1" which doesn't seem to have any graphics at the moment.

Oh... oh, this may be impossible as you said. 2500 damage from Holy2 isn't going to be shrugged off. I did manage to steal the Dragon Claw though.

Yes, unfortunately it is impossible without Rydia. Ah well I'll keep her alive then.

Alright, let's move everyone to the backrow and go from there.

Armadillo? Was not expecting that here. Trying to conserve Rydia's life so running away from everything for the most part.

Interesting the Dragon Claw is actually Bad against the Mist Dragon, I am going to assume that it's Holy Elemental and so is the Mist Dragon.

This would also be a great place for the Whip since magic is ineffective. Once you get past the initial magic phase the Mist Dragon doesn't seem that difficult.

I'm surprised you still have the tutorial messages still in the battle. I'd think those would be one of the most pertinent things to repurpose.

It took a rather long time, but I finally managed to take out the Mist Dragon. 10009 Exp as the reward, yikes!

Alright! Now it's time to meet with Cecil.

Loving this scene so far, I especially liked the subtle movement of Cecil sitting back into his throne with the delayed backward movement, nice touch.

Cecil's line of thought about the leader of the Eidolons is some really creative thinking, actually examining the situation with possibilities.

Cecil mentioning the events of TAY is an interesting plot device and feeling that Ceodore is going through that same struggle, thereby alleviating his worries about Ceodore works well to the narrative.

And that seems to be it for this run. Other than not getting a Chocobo (seems nigh impossible to do with a solo) did I explore the story to it's fullest potential at this point?

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2015, 08:12:48 AM »
I got to the point where he just kept saying "Leave me alone." it was only a last ditch effort (since I thought you were alluding to Baron Castle becoming a non-escape zone at some point and the necessity to use that as a healing spot) to think to sleep in Cecil's bed there. Since you have to at least talk to Ceodore in the Outer Court, it may be more pertinent to have Furio decide his choice there since regardless he makes some effort to talk to Ceodore regardless of the path chosen.
Oh, no, after the first encounter in "the shrinking hallway," you can continue on towards Mist if you want.

It would seem so, yes.
Hopefully Ceo has enough characterization without it. I think he will...

Ah, FireBombs, hmm? I'll keep that in mind.
Notice Rydia's hiding what could be considered the exact stuff that destroyed her village and killed her mother. That's more of a characterization move than anything else. But if Ceo is in the party, that sword comes in real handy against the Mist Dragon...

Interesting, it seems as if you can't go back to Mist once you've gone back into the Mist Cave, and try to leave it repeats the scene where Furio and Rydia both sense something. Intended, but interesting all the same.
It was an oversight, originally. I meant to have the event end on the trigger tile, but as there's no save point in the cave, you can't get stuck in there, so I'm OK leaving it as-is.
Hmm, the Mist Dragon casts "Holy1" which doesn't seem to have any graphics at the moment.
Right. Thanks for the reminder. It uses the "rod" spell animation currently, which I found out the hard way doesn't work against the party. Meant to change it but forgot.
Oh... oh, this may be impossible as you said. 2500 damage from Holy2 isn't going to be shrugged off. I did manage to steal the Dragon Claw though.

Yes, unfortunately it is impossible without Rydia. Ah well I'll keep her alive then.
Sorry to disappoint you...
Armadillo? Was not expecting that here. Trying to conserve Rydia's life so running away from everything for the most part.
Funny in ffiv how you always get the rare encounters when you're not trying. The armadillos have high HP (for this point in the game), but aren't a major threat otherwise. They have a great steal for a party that has Ceo and/or Lando.
Interesting the Dragon Claw is actually Bad against the Mist Dragon, I am going to assume that it's Holy Elemental and so is the Mist Dragon.
You guessed it. I like that, since having Ceo at this stage is probably the less likely possibility, you are rewarded for it by having a character who is tailor-made for the second stage of this battle.
This would also be a great place for the Whip since magic is ineffective. Once you get past the initial magic phase the Mist Dragon doesn't seem that difficult.
There is a good reason the Mist weapons dealer suggests it specifically. ;)
I'm surprised you still have the tutorial messages still in the battle. I'd think those would be one of the most pertinent things to repurpose.
You're probably right. I haven't needed them yet, but they're probably more annoying than helpful.
It took a rather long time, but I finally managed to take out the Mist Dragon. 10009 Exp as the reward, yikes!
Well, I'm assuming most players will have 3 or 4 party members for this battle, so 2-3000 exp each seemed appropriate. You will start to see some exp rewards jump in general pretty soon to normalize the APL a bit with Rydia in the party.
Alright! Now it's time to meet with Cecil.

Loving this scene so far, I especially liked the subtle movement of Cecil sitting back into his throne with the delayed backward movement, nice touch.

Cecil's line of thought about the leader of the Eidolons is some really creative thinking, actually examining the situation with possibilities.

Cecil mentioning the events of TAY is an interesting plot device and feeling that Ceodore is going through that same struggle, thereby alleviating his worries about Ceodore works well to the narrative.
I've spent a lot of time concocting this story, so it's good to hear the subtleties are coming across.
And that seems to be it for this run. Other than not getting a Chocobo (seems nigh impossible to do with a solo) did I explore the story to it's fullest potential at this point?
Did you actually go into the Highwind Pass? If so, then yup, that's it. There is a rare chocobo encounter in desert terrain that is two imps and a choc. That might be possible in solo mode, but definitely much easier with friends...
Besides telling you that it is possible, I'm going to withhold how to find the chocobo time trials, because it's important to me to know just how difficult that is. I don't want it to be impossible, but I don't want for it to slap the player in the face, either...

Kea

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2015, 12:48:36 PM »
Alright, been playing the latest demo. Here's some impressions and notes I took while playing.

The Emerald Ring sells for 20,000 gold! It probably doesn't have any other use in this demo, so off to the market it goes.

..And now I've already spent 10,000 of that on Short katanas and IceShards. Well now Furio has a respectable Attack. The Cache command on the menu is really slick; well done on that. It's too bad you can't combine the sizes of the two inventories, but it does put a limit on what you can take into battle so there are some decisions to be made by the player later in the game.

I'm going to go through the game using hirelings, so let's see how good Eblan's ninja is. That secret door in the training room downstairs is maddening. I can't figure out how to open it! I did manage to steal the guard's treasure though, that was nice. Off to Agart now...

Huh, the Eagles and Cockatrices carry Life medicine. Very useful!

There's something wonky going on with Eagles. I encountered a Cockatrice/2x Eagle group, and the Eagles got one turn to Furio's nine. Makes it very easy to stock up on Lifes.

On to Agart itself, and of course we have to steal from everyting. The first encounter was a group of Larvas, so I reduced them to one Larva and stole a few Cure2s for the road.

Wow, you really can steal FireBombs from Sandmen. I'll take five, thank you. Good thing I never bothered buying any. Strange thing is that the minibosses only has a single elemental dart to steal, a much weaker item. All these good items do teach you to try stealing from every enemy. That's much better than the vanilla game where the items you got from stealing were usually nothing to care about.

Jinn fight seems pretty similar to before. Furio attacked and the ninja tossed Ice darts, and that kept him locked down. The second time he heated up/I cooled him down, Jinn used Burn anyway. Probably just a counterattack?

I had enough money left over to buy one of each Claw, the Chain Mail and two Stealth Daggers for the ninja. There's something to be said for the freedom to experiment that a 20,000G cash infusion gives you!

Hm, the Change and Parry command boxes in battle have garbled graphics over them.

Went to Mysidia and bought two LeadShoes, plus a Coral and Burning Ring. I'm really glad I sold the Emerald ring, I might not have had the patience to grind out the money for these things. Huh, and the Burning Ring gives Str and Vit bonuses; now the Ninja has 5 attack multipliers.

Hm, you can hire a Black Mage or a Whit Mage at Mysidia...think I'll stick with the Ninja for now though, I'm finally starting to run out of money and it's likely Palom and Porom will join at some point.

Now I'm looking in the woods for that 'witch'. The 4 Bat encounter has some overlap with the Bats' graphics. Turtles seem to be very feeble, they only deal 1-4 damage. Also found a Chocobo, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere you can go with them here.

Later I realize that maybe the note meant the trees INSIDE of Mysidia...yep, there's a secret passage.

Goodness, I stole an Ether from the Witch and she flattened Furio with an 800 damage Ice-2! That's one way to discourage farming, for sure. Good thing she dies in one hit. Let's move on to Mt.Ordeals...

I have to say, the SNES soundfont really does justice to the Mt.Ordeals theme. Makes it sound majestic almost.

The Raven battle is pretty easy with two party members. Furio opens up with a FireBomb to slay the Cockatrices and then we just attack. Aero only does 50-80 damage to my 2-man party so it's no threat. Its physical attack is even worse, it only does in the nieghbourhood of 10 damage. Probably could have beat this fight without any healing, but repeated Aeros brought Furio to 100 HP, making him pause to heal once.

I think I'll leave off there. It's been fun so far! Might want to look into some of the monster stats, a lot of monsters were total pushovers.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2015, 12:39:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. A general response to anything about difficulty level: this is probably the part I'm most concerned with, partly because I am a wimpy grinder as a player and therefore have very little idea what appropriate difficulty is, and partly because the monster level-up mod can sometimes make monster difficulty a little unpredictable. This is definitely something that I will tinker with continually for non-boss monsters. With respect to Bosses, specific feedback is always appreciated. As I've said before, my goal with this is pretty much a middling difficulty level.
Alright, been playing the latest demo. Here's some impressions and notes I took while playing.

The Emerald Ring sells for 20,000 gold! It probably doesn't have any other use in this demo, so off to the market it goes.
Selling the Emerald ring is kind of an epic choice. It will have a very specific purpose much later in the game and is a one-time only draw, but I want the sale price to be tantalizing at the beginning of the game. That being said, I think 20000 was a mistake. I think I was thinking 5000-7500.
..And now I've already spent 10,000 of that on Short katanas and IceShards. Well now Furio has a respectable Attack. The Cache command on the menu is really slick; well done on that. It's too bad you can't combine the sizes of the two inventories, but it does put a limit on what you can take into battle so there are some decisions to be made by the player later in the game.

I'm going to go through the game using hirelings, so let's see how good Eblan's ninja is. That secret door in the training room downstairs is maddening. I can't figure out how to open it! I did manage to steal the guard's treasure though, that was nice. Off to Agart now...
You can't get through that door in this demo...
SPOILER ALERT
Code: [Select]

If you steal that treasure, you'll never be able to open the door
(Scroll to reveal)
Huh, the Eagles and Cockatrices carry Life medicine. Very useful!

There's something wonky going on with Eagles. I encountered a Cockatrice/2x Eagle group, and the Eagles got one turn to Furio's nine. Makes it very easy to stock up on Lifes.
It's the level-up mod. Monsters are pushovers very early on...
On to Agart itself, and of course we have to steal from everyting. The first encounter was a group of Larvas, so I reduced them to one Larva and stole a few Cure2s for the road.

Wow, you really can steal FireBombs from Sandmen. I'll take five, thank you. Good thing I never bothered buying any. Strange thing is that the minibosses only has a single elemental dart to steal, a much weaker item.
That's specifically for fighting Jinn, in case you don't have any other ice stuff yet...
All these good items do teach you to try stealing from every enemy. That's much better than the vanilla game where the items you got from stealing were usually nothing to care about.
Agree. Glad you feel the change is positive. I'm going for a stealing system not unlike ffix, for the most part...
Jinn fight seems pretty similar to before. Furio attacked and the ninja tossed Ice darts, and that kept him locked down. The second time he heated up/I cooled him down, Jinn used Burn anyway. Probably just a counterattack?
I don't think he changed at all since your last play. The burn thing happens every once in a while. Burn is part of the normal AI routine, but the form change is a reaction, so it is possible for him to be "charging" a Burn, then get "cooled off," but still execute the Burn. At any rate, Burn is nothing compared to the Fire2 that follows it...
I had enough money left over to buy one of each Claw, the Chain Mail and two Stealth Daggers for the ninja. There's something to be said for the freedom to experiment that a 20,000G cash infusion gives you!

Hm, the Change and Parry command boxes in battle have garbled graphics over them.
Yeah, I don't know exactly what caused that, but fixing it is extremely low on the list of priorities for now.
Went to Mysidia and bought two LeadShoes, plus a Coral and Burning Ring. I'm really glad I sold the Emerald ring, I might not have had the patience to grind out the money for these things. Huh, and the Burning Ring gives Str and Vit bonuses; now the Ninja has 5 attack multipliers.
Still trying to decide if stat boosts are a good idea for those elemental rings.
Hm, you can hire a Black Mage or a Whit Mage at Mysidia...think I'll stick with the Ninja for now though, I'm finally starting to run out of money and it's likely Palom and Porom will join at some point.
They will, but not for very long any time soon. Permanent access to them isn't available in this demo.
Now I'm looking in the woods for that 'witch'. The 4 Bat encounter has some overlap with the Bats' graphics.
I noticed that too. I think I took that formation straight from vanilla...
Turtles seem to be very feeble, they only deal 1-4 damage. Also found a Chocobo, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere you can go with them here.
Yeah, they aren't particularly useful until the next chapter, though if you happen to catch one on the way to or from Ordeals, it can be a nice fast-forward.
Later I realize that maybe the note meant the trees INSIDE of Mysidia...yep, there's a secret passage.
Mwa-ha-ha
Goodness, I stole an Ether from the Witch and she flattened Furio with an 800 damage Ice-2! That's one way to discourage farming, for sure.
Mwa-ha-ha
Good thing she dies in one hit.
... Another oversight.
Let's move on to Mt.Ordeals...

I have to say, the SNES soundfont really does justice to the Mt.Ordeals theme. Makes it sound majestic almost.

The Raven battle is pretty easy with two party members. Furio opens up with a FireBomb to slay the Cockatrices and then we just attack. Aero only does 50-80 damage to my 2-man party so it's no threat. Its physical attack is even worse, it only does in the nieghbourhood of 10 damage. Probably could have beat this fight without any healing, but repeated Aeros brought Furio to 100 HP, making him pause to heal once.

I think I'll leave off there. It's been fun so far! Might want to look into some of the monster stats, a lot of monsters were total pushovers.
Valuable feedback.
Thanks!

Kea

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2015, 01:20:48 PM »
I don't know, 20,000G for the Emerald Ring is large enough to make the player suspect that it has some hidden use. If it had a more ho-hum sale price they're more likely to think it's nothing more than a Gil rewad for stealing from Edge. That's how I see it at least.

You can't get through that door in this demo... (spoilers)
Ha! I like it. He does talk about how your choices affect things.

Stat boosts for the elemental rings are fine; they aren't huge boosts and it helps to give you a reason to use one other than for its elemental properties.

The Raven fight isn't that hard so long as you have a few Cure2s and maybe a multi-target option, since his pattern is very simple and none of his attacks do major damage by themselves. I can see it being tougher if all you have is Cure1 potions, it might be tough to outpace the repeated Aeros. He is only the second boss and you can buy Cure2s if you haven't stolen any, so I think he's at a reasonable level of difficulty.

I played ahead a little bit and got to the first epic choice (and chose to return to Mysidia, since I see Grimoire LD did the opposite). I'll progress some more and report back.

Kea

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
I'm back at it. Strange that one of the chests is blocked off by a falling rock. Perhaps if I had waited to go after it until after I defeated Indra/Shiva, the path wouldn't get blocked. Oh well, too late now!

The monsters on Mt.Ordeals aren't that tough, you can mostly hold down A to win. Furio with the Mute Knife and Fire Claws OHKOs most things.

Cut-off on the save point text sometimes.

Liliths have Ether1s for stealing! Sure beats spending 10K on them at the store. Their Gravity counter only does a little bit of damage.
I also triggered Furio's Limit Break, but it just seemed to be a regular physical attack?

Anyway, at the summit we see Indra and Shiva plotting...well, it sounds like we have a couple of weeks at least, so let's go back and report.

Now we have Palom and Porom! Those are some funky portraits. I pick up a Flame Rod for Palom, a Cure staff for Porom and Gaea stuff for them both. A Frozen Ring sounds like a good idea here too.

Back to the summit. Indra's dialogue makes him sound prett casual about the whole "exterminate all humans" thing. I wonder whether the higher authority he mentions is Bahamut or a new character.

So, the battle begins against Indra and Shiva. I tried this boss battle twice, because the first time I gave the Twins the Mute Knife and elemental rings, only for them to leave the party immediately, so I reloaded and didn't give them anything good.

This is a strange fight. Casting magic on Indra causes him to use Reflect on Shiva, so doing that a few times lets you put up Reflect on your whole party. His Armor counter to physicals often ends up bouncing off of Shiva too. Pretty soon you can have 3-4 party members with Reflect up, so the bosses's spells don't do any damage. Anyway, I focused on Indra first, except for Furio who attacked Shiva with Fire Claws. He went down pretty quick to Palom's Bios, and Shiva didn't do too much afterwards - Palom bounced 1000-damage Fire2s off of himself to get around her Reflect, and that put an end to her pretty quickly. It looks like she gets a super move ready after a certain amount of time, but she didn't get any farther than changing her sprite.

Haha, I like Furio puffing his chest about being smart enough to go back and get the twins, like he wasn't perfectly willing to do the exact opposite!

Hmm, that silhouette definitely looks like Bahamut...I'm sure our trip to Eblan will be short and uneventful.

Oh no, a monster is attacking the ship! But hold on, I need to loot everything and haggle for Cure2s first. I appreciate Furio's faster movement here, it's a nice change from his usual ambling.

The tentacle boss was interesting. It seemed to be weak to Thunder, so after a bit of experimenting I had Furio attack with the Mute Knife/Thunder Claws while the ninja threw thunder darts or healed. The boss changed forms several times, but apart from a nasty one that used Hex and Venom it was pretty tame; both party members had Goggles so we didn't have to pause to cure Blindness at least. Managed to kill it in its Drain phase for a reward of 1999 gil and... a Scourge whip? Sounds like we might recruit Rydia at some point.

Oh, I guess we will! I like this scene with Edge, it shows how he's matured over the years. The story's shaping up pretty well now, I'm interested to see what happens next Off to Baron, then. Or rather off to the places around Baron, since that's surely where the plot will advance. I poked my head in the Highwind pass, got a Game Over from a Basilisk Stoning both party members when I tried to get it alone, then stole some Lit-Bolts from a Weeper.

A Chocobo with three monsters? Hm, the only way to capture this one is to use a magic item. Let's see where we can go...aha, down in the south there's a cave. A Feather Ring? ...It gives +15 Agility!? Wow, it was worth coming here.

So, there's enemies from Zot here as random encounters. They all die in one hit (heck, the Puppets die on their own!), but they're worth oodles of Gil and EXP. You can also steal Silence Staffs from the Marions, who do nothing but fail to cast Call.

That's enough wandering, let's head back to Baron and recruit a Dragoon. Though having done that, I feel like I'm trading down. The Dragoon joins at Level 15, has much lower HP than the Ninja did, and can't equip the elemental rings. Hopefully Baron sells some good stuff for him.

Talking to the yellow dragoon with Lando in your party points you to a secret room. Very clever! Lots of good stuff there including a Drain Spear, The -10 penalty to all stats is very punishing when none of his stats break 20, but maybe it'll come in handy at higher levels.

I sold some Silence staves I stole up for 60,000 Gil. That should last a while...

The secret passages in the equipment shop are gone, but the chests remain. Now they silently taunt you from across the counter. What's up with the Steel Sword? It's much weaker than the Wind Lance and only gives +3 to Will. Regardless, now with the Wind Spear he's up to a healthy 61 Attack.

Love the old lady's reaction to going into her house. Furio clearly has no respect for other people's privacy. It's cool to see how Baron has changed with Cid's old house, the inn, and just how people around town are acting.

Most important of all - I'm glad to see the inns, bushes and ponds of Baron have been restocked with treasure for kleptomaniac protagonists to pilfer.

The guards just let you into the castle? I wasn't expecting that.

Huh, Cid's subordinates are still alive? They must be getting on in years if they're the same guys.

The graveyard area is very touching; the silence is a perfect choice here.

Hah, the guard who wants to move to Damcyan changing the music is a nice touch. It looks like Grimoire LD covered everything else there is to see in the castle, so it's time to meet Ceodore.

So they know each other already...that makes sense. Wow, Ceo is really stonewalling here, not even letting Furio deliver the letter. We're not going to slink away meekly from that...well we will to save, but after that we'll go and try again.

I'll take a break, but will get back to this soon.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
I'm back at it. Strange that one of the chests is blocked off by a falling rock. Perhaps if I had waited to go after it until after I defeated Indra/Shiva, the path wouldn't get blocked. Oh well, too late now!
Palom can blow the rock away with his own lightning bolt. Right now there's only an Ether there, so you didn't miss much.
The monsters on Mt.Ordeals aren't that tough, you can mostly hold down A to win. Furio with the Mute Knife and Fire Claws OHKOs most things.
I think it was a bad idea to make elemental claws so available this early on. I think they will be removed from the Eblan shop in the next version.

Cut-off on the save point text sometimes.
An unfortunate side effect of the mod that allows me to show the dialogue window on the bottom half of the screen is that the fourth line in the first scroll of any message often gets cut off. The easy fix is to simply put in line breaks (four lines in subsequent scrolls work just fine in long messages). The save point is one that I missed. So, thanks!
Liliths have Ether1s for stealing! Sure beats spending 10K on them at the store. Their Gravity counter only does a little bit of damage.
I don't want Ethers to be as tough to come by as they were in original ffiv, but I suppose Lilith should be able to kill you instead of all the asymptotal damage...
I also triggered Furio's Limit Break, but it just seemed to be a regular physical attack?
Hard to see, but it also has the effect of slow on the target monster and haste on the whole party. If you use the ATB meter, you can sometimes see a change.
It's easily the least interesting of all the limit skills, though.
Anyway, at the summit we see Indra and Shiva plotting...well, it sounds like we have a couple of weeks at least, so let's go back and report.

Now we have Palom and Porom! Those are some funky portraits.
Porom was my attempt to port the portrait from TAY to SNES. I don't love it, but it's not fantastic. Palom is original. Also not great, but it's grown on me. Pixel art is nit my strong suit.
I pick up a Flame Rod for Palom, a Cure staff for Porom and Gaea stuff for them both. A Frozen Ring sounds like a good idea here too.

Back to the summit. Indra's dialogue makes him sound prett casual about the whole "exterminate all humans" thing.
Ffiv's eidolons never had much of a bond with most humans...
I wonder whether the higher authority he mentions is Bahamut or a new character.
... No comment for now. Some people on this forum know already. I can tell you if you really wanna know.
So, the battle begins against Indra and Shiva. I tried this boss battle twice, because the first time I gave the Twins the Mute Knife and elemental rings, only for them to leave the party immediately, so I reloaded and didn't give them anything good.

This is a strange fight. Casting magic on Indra causes him to use Reflect on Shiva, so doing that a few times lets you put up Reflect on your whole party. His Armor counter to physicals often ends up bouncing off of Shiva too. Pretty soon you can have 3-4 party members with Reflect up, so the bosses's spells don't do any damage. Anyway, I focused on Indra first, except for Furio who attacked Shiva with Fire Claws. He went down pretty quick to Palom's Bios, and Shiva didn't do too much afterwards - Palom bounced 1000-damage Fire2s off of himself to get around her Reflect, and that put an end to her pretty quickly. It looks like she gets a super move ready after a certain amount of time, but she didn't get any farther than changing her sprite.
Hmm... Casting reflect as a reaction = bad idea. Good note.
Haha, I like Furio puffing his chest about being smart enough to go back and get the twins, like he wasn't perfectly willing to do the exact opposite!

Hmm, that silhouette definitely looks like Bahamut...I'm sure our trip to Eblan will be short and uneventful.

Oh no, a monster is attacking the ship! But hold on, I need to loot everything and haggle for Cure2s first. I appreciate Furio's faster movement here, it's a nice change from his usual ambling.

The tentacle boss was interesting. It seemed to be weak to Thunder, so after a bit of experimenting I had Furio attack with the Mute Knife/Thunder Claws while the ninja threw thunder darts or healed. The boss changed forms several times, but apart from a nasty one that used Hex and Venom it was pretty tame; both party members had Goggles so we didn't have to pause to cure Blindness at least. Managed to kill it in its Drain phase for a reward of 1999 gil and... a Scourge whip? Sounds like we might recruit Rydia at some point.
Again, elemental claws available too soon. Tentacle retreats if you take too long, but he never had a chance against you.
Oh, I guess we will! I like this scene with Edge, it shows how he's matured over the years. The story's shaping up pretty well now, I'm interested to see what happens next Off to Baron, then. Or rather off to the places around Baron, since that's surely where the plot will advance. I poked my head in the Highwind pass, got a Game Over from a Basilisk Stoning both party members when I tried to get it alone, then stole some Lit-Bolts from a Weeper.

A Chocobo with three monsters? Hm, the only way to capture this one is to use a magic item. Let's see where we can go...aha, down in the south there's a cave. A Feather Ring? ...It gives +15 Agility!? Wow, it was worth coming here.

So, there's enemies from Zot here as random encounters. They all die in one hit (heck, the Puppets die on their own!), but they're worth oodles of Gil and EXP. You can also steal Silence Staffs from the Marions, who do nothing but fail to cast Call.
Ah, meant to turn off encounters in that cave. Those silence staffs should have never happened...
That's enough wandering, let's head back to Baron and recruit a Dragoon. Though having done that, I feel like I'm trading down. The Dragoon joins at Level 15, has much lower HP than the Ninja did, and can't equip the elemental rings. Hopefully Baron sells some good stuff for him.
Can't equip the elemental rings? Can't remember if I did that on purpose...
Talking to the yellow dragoon with Lando in your party points you to a secret room. Very clever! Lots of good stuff there including a Drain Spear, The -10 penalty to all stats is very punishing when none of his stats break 20, but maybe it'll come in handy at higher levels.

I sold some Silence staves I stole up for 60,000 Gil. That should last a while...
D'oh!
The secret passages in the equipment shop are gone, but the chests remain. Now they silently taunt you from across the counter. What's up with the Steel Sword? It's much weaker than the Wind Lance and only gives +3 to Will. Regardless, now with the Wind Spear he's up to a healthy 61 Attack.

Love the old lady's reaction to going into her house. Furio clearly has no respect for other people's privacy. It's cool to see how Baron has changed with Cid's old house, the inn, and just how people around town are acting.

Most important of all - I'm glad to see the inns, bushes and ponds of Baron have been restocked with treasure for kleptomaniac protagonists to pilfer.

The guards just let you into the castle? I wasn't expecting that.

Huh, Cid's subordinates are still alive? They must be getting on in years if they're the same guys.
I think they're new guys...
The graveyard area is very touching; the silence is a perfect choice here.

Hah, the guard who wants to move to Damcyan changing the music is a nice touch. It looks like Grimoire LD covered everything else there is to see in the castle, so it's time to meet Ceodore.

So they know each other already...that makes sense. Wow, Ceo is really stonewalling here, not even letting Furio deliver the letter. We're not going to slink away meekly from that...well we will to save, but after that we'll go and try again.

I'll take a break, but will get back to this soon.
Cool. Keep it coming!

Kea

• Vargas
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
Welp, the board ate my reply. I'll just narrow this down to the most pertinent thoughts:

-Meeting Rydia was funny and well written. Cuore I didn't care for, but robot-speak and TAY are two things I don't like so maybe it's just me.

-Mist Dragon battle is a little confusing, but much less complicated than it first appears. Blast her with Lit3 twice and the rest of the battle is just physical attacks, although she's fast enough that she can switch to mist form in between you selecting Attack and the character actually attacking. This battle could use something more IMO. I saw that she can apparently use magic, but all I saw were two Mutes before the physical phase came in.

I had a lot of fun with the demo! I'll keep an eye on this space for future progress.