Author Topic: FF II: A Threat from Within - Expanded ROM = New Features!  (Read 35781 times)

Madsiur

• Magissa & Forza
  • FF6AE coder
    • View Profile
    • Madsiur's Lair
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Moon Flies Off FIXED!)
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2015, 06:04:27 PM »
Actually, now that I think about it, isn't there a monster ability in VI that lowers player level for the duration of the battle? Maybe I'm just making that up. It's been awhile since I played the whole thing through.

Yes. Dischord is a lore that that halves the level of the target. It is used by 6 or 7 enemies and works on every enemies except if they are immune to death. There are some spell like flare star also that use the level as a multiplier. I'll need to figure out what I'll do with those and tweak if necessary. I don't see much downsides of using this system except maybe the lower chance to steal enemies at a high level (success rate = (50 + stealer level - monster level)/128). Still this will require a playthough and lots of adjustments to monster stats like you said...

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2015, 08:36:21 PM »
So I've been getting sidetracked from the main game again, working lil goodies in there for later use.
This time, I developed an on-screen timer that counts down. The timer appears when flag 128 is set and disappears when flag 136 is set.

Click to watch the video!

If you're wondering why Tellah is in the video, I haven't actually worked it into TfW yet. I knew this would take a lot of assembly, and I didn't want to mess up my hack before I knew it was going to work. Also, this only shows the timer in action. I haven't worked in anything yet that actually sets the time (that 4:00 was set by hand) nor anything that happens when the timer reaches zero. Still, the hardest part of it has been realized!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2015, 08:43:07 PM »
Oh man! That Is So Cool!!! That is awesome, Chillyfeez! Now we can finally have "Escape" scenarios in FFIV like they have in every FF past FFIV. That is fantastic, I cannot wait to see your added functionality for this, down the line!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2015, 09:27:02 PM »
Ah, yes, escape scenarios... This does provide the possibility for one of those, doesn't it?
I don't (yet) have any plans for an escape scenario, but I may be able to work one in down the road...
Actually, as I'm typing this I just realized that I was planning on an escape scenario, the original concept of which did not have a timer, but now it absolutely can!

Madsiur

• Magissa & Forza
  • FF6AE coder
    • View Profile
    • Madsiur's Lair
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2015, 10:01:25 PM »
This time, I developed an on-screen timer that counts down. The timer appears when flag 128 is set and disappears when flag 136 is set.

That is pretty neat! I'm unsure what those flags are but is there in FFII unused event commands? You could turn one into a timer command that with an argument as the time in minutes.

I guess a bigger challenge is also to have the timer in battle and resume it after the battle.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Now with Countdown Timers!)
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2015, 11:45:42 PM »
Yeah, I don't think the timer will actually appear in battle. As you probably noticed, I hijacked the routine that displays location names in order to make the timer appear (but location names still display fine). I'm not sure I'm quite up to the level of writing my own routines for drawing custom windows... It shouldn't be a problem to make the timer run in the background during battles, though. I have the countdown rigged as part of the normal timekeeping routine, and while there's a separate routine for timekeeping in battle, locations, and on the menu screen, it shouldn't be too tough to implement the countdown in all of them (I already have it set up to work in the menu screen). I could probably make it so that, when there's an active countdown, pausing the battle displays the amount of time left instead of the word "PAUSE."
As for unused event commands, technically, the game has over a hundred of them, as long as you don't need parameters. There's an event command we call "visual effect," because it's the one responsible for things like "Red Wings bombing Damcyan,"  "Opening the Package in Mist," and "circle of stars at a healing pot," but there are other things it does that aren't visual at all, like removing one from the location stack, and setting the coordinates of the ship outside of Fabul. Anyway, there exists the possibility to have as many as 256 of these, and by default there are less than 100. Shouldn't be too hard to make one of them "Load 5:00 into the timer."

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2015, 11:43:27 AM »
Holy crap, tha's amazing! Good work man.

And yeah, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use one of the unused "visual" event commands to load up some time on that epic Timer.

:offtopic: - I find it funny how many non-visual commands are in the "Call Visual Effect" command. When I was adding a quick rest function it took me awhile to realize that "Toggle Music Fade" only calls for the fading out of music, while "Call Visual Effect" contained the command to fade it back in, haha.
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »
I find it funny how many non-visual commands are in the "Call Visual Effect" command. When I was adding a quick rest function it took me awhile to realize that "Toggle Music Fade" only calls for the fading out of music, while "Call Visual Effect" contained the command to fade it back in, haha.
Holycrap, seriously?!
I've been trying to figure that out forever!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy II: A Threat from Within (Chocobo Time Trial Progress!)
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2015, 09:15:33 PM »
Making progress...
I got the mechanincs all down, now I just have to make the trial actally difficult.

Chocobo Time Trial 1

Believe it or not, there is a sequence that runs when time runs out, but I made four videos and I just kept winning.
So, obviously I have to figure out how to make this more of a challege. I worked in a way that you can get a "power up" speed boost, but as of now it's not needed...

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2015, 01:24:20 AM »
Making progress...
I got the mechanincs all down, now I just have to make the trial actally difficult.

Chocobo Time Trial 1

Believe it or not, there is a sequence that runs when time runs out, but I made four videos and I just kept winning.
So, obviously I have to figure out how to make this more of a challege. I worked in a way that you can get a "power up" speed boost, but as of now it's not needed...

What an intriguing concept! You not only made good use of your timer, but you also hacked in a character graphic that is not of a party member and designated as the party lead and did this all outside of the world map! Not only that but you also threw in some good obstacles, I am looking forward to see what else you accomplish with this fascinating side project here! Will this be connected to the Chocobo Catching mini-quest?

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2015, 02:07:58 AM »
Yeah, making the character graphic a chocobo took about as much hacking as all the rest of this. The image stays if you push R, too. It's all dependent on a flag. There's a lot of flag usage in this. I already talked about how setting flags makes the timer appear and disappear, there's eight flags devoted to determining how much time appears on the timer (there can be 1, 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 minutes), there's another flag that can be set to make an "Escape Scenario" instead of a Time Trial - that is, when time runs out, it's Game Over instead of just losing the trial. Actually, now that I think of it, I'll probably only need one big chunk of time (20 or 30 minutes) for an escape scenario. Maybe the rest of the time choices should all be under two minutes. If this particular trial was 45 seconds, that would probably solve the problem with it being too easy.

It's definitely going to be connected to chocobo catching. I haven't decided on the full details yet. I'd like for it to be relatively easy to gain access to the chocobo time trials, but with the player still needing to do some work. The last prize for chocobo catching comes at 100, so maybe after 30 or so you get to race. My other thought, though, was to put a solitary forest tile at the edge of that lake west of Toroia (the one in the mountains with the waterfall). Of course if I did that, then you'd need the black chocobo to get there, and that was going to be the prize for 100.

At any rate, I have close to a million and a half years to figure that all out because this was, of course, yet another sidetrack from actual story progression...

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2015, 11:32:46 AM »
I find it funny how many non-visual commands are in the "Call Visual Effect" command. When I was adding a quick rest function it took me awhile to realize that "Toggle Music Fade" only calls for the fading out of music, while "Call Visual Effect" contained the command to fade it back in, haha.
Holycrap, seriously?!
I've been trying to figure that out forever!

Yeah, it's the visual right before the "Kill all actors but Paladin Cecil, who goes to 1" and "Giant of Babil Exploding" commands. I spent half the day trying to do different workarounds for what I was working on before realizing it was hidden in there.

(Just now saw this reply lol)

And oh my God, you've essentially hacked chocobo racing into FF4!

At any rate, I have close to a million and a half years to figure that all out because this was, of course, yet another sidetrack from actual story progression...

Glad I'm not the only one easily sidetracked! Though, at least when you get sidetracked, entirely new (to FF4 especially) experimences are created. I usually end up playing with graphics or FF4kster for half the afternoon when I get sidetracked haha.
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2015, 05:19:05 PM »
Just a quick update, because I haven't been extremely active on the board lately...
I have been working on TfW pretty constantly. If you played the most recent demo release, then you know that the next stop is Baron enroute to Damcyan with a planned stop in Mist.
At this point, the trip to Baron has been written, as has the Baron Port kissing girl. She's a fun one. You don't get a status ailment from her, you get a funny, silly scene instead.

I've also got all of Baron Town set up.
The Dragoon Training Hall has replaced the old Training room. It's all new, and that's where you can hire Lando.
Cid's house is now Mid's house. Not much happens there for the time being, but there's a hint that Mid might be important down the road.
The Baron Inn is home to another fun scene (which is just filler) and first introduces Mil Espinas Fermented Agave Nectar (that is, G-rated tequila), which will eventually segue into a sidequest involving a certain familiar monster  :wink:

The Baron area also features the first secret chocobo treasure cave.

I've made a significant change to the architecture of Baron Castle, but I haven't set up all of the events and NPCs yet. That's the next step. There's still quite a bit to do there, but the stuff I've done up to this point looks really nice and I'm very happy with the way things are progressing. Once Baron Castle is all set, I could make another patch to put up. There won't be any new enemies to fight yet, but the trip to Baron will put a bunch of new gameplay in, plus some plot advancement and access to Ceodore.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2015, 03:53:32 PM »
If everything goes according to my plan, I'll be putting up an update to the demo tomorrow.
I've got the kingdom of Baron all set up - that is, the full town and every part of the castle that will be accessible for the time being. The castle involved some pretty significant event work, including another epic choice which sort of blossomed out of nowhere thanks to Grimoire's flag-based event script hack. I've said it before and will say it again, that thing is going to be a key player in making this game a much richer experience!
Where we're at now, you'll have the ability to explore Baron Town and Castle, hire a Dragoon, and recruit Ceodore. You'll also be able to explore the Misty Cave, but not actually exit through to the other side - and no boss battle there, but the monster formations have been changed from vanilla to accommodate the different time in the game that you travel there.
The Highwind Pass, a new mountain dungeon that serves as a bridge between Baron and Kaipo won't be explorable, but you will be able to see the entrance.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »
If everything goes according to my plan, I'll be putting up an update to the demo tomorrow.
I've got the kingdom of Baron all set up - that is, the full town and every part of the castle that will be accessible for the time being. The castle involved some pretty significant event work, including another epic choice which sort of blossomed out of nowhere thanks to Grimoire's flag-based event script hack. I've said it before and will say it again, that thing is going to be a key player in making this game a much richer experience!
Where we're at now, you'll have the ability to explore Baron Town and Castle, hire a Dragoon, and recruit Ceodore. You'll also be able to explore the Misty Cave, but not actually exit through to the other side - and no boss battle there, but the monster formations have been changed from vanilla to accommodate the different time in the game that you travel there.
The Highwind Pass, a new mountain dungeon that serves as a bridge between Baron and Kaipo won't be explorable, but you will be able to see the entrance.

This all sounds fantastic! School starts again tomorrow, but I will have to check this out as soon as I can. I especially like the idea of a new dungeon between Baron and Kaipo (I always surmised there may have been a makeshift way to Kaipo from Baron through that waterfall in the north leading to the basin and across the short stretch of mountains. I had assumed this may have been the path that Rosa took to reach Kaipo).