Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 235629 times)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Developing a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »
A shame about the extra spell sets not working out, but not much that can be done there. I guess we could extend the ROM or something eventually, but I think that's beyond us at the moment. Really as far as spells go, there's a fair amount of slots. Rydia's White contains three spells, so that can easily be made use of. Rosa and Porom do not need two sets, considering their spell learning is pretty much the same. Palom and Rydia though should probably maintain a different spell set though since Palom learns a lot of different spells earlier than Rydia. And FuSoYa's White and Black is actually quite redundant. If you give him Tellah's spells set (which by then had already been remembered) then add Nuke, White, and Quake when FuSoYa joins through event then you have FuSoYa's magic set.

So in essence there are...

Kain - Unused
Rydia - White
Porom
FuSoYa - Black
FuSoYa - White

That's five more magic sets if people wanted to give magic or skills to characters that normally don't have them.

EDIT: Oh right, almost forgot to confirm that the changes work perfectly. DarkKnight Cecil has the spells in battle and he learns spells when he levels up appropriately.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2012, 12:43:38 AM »
With your newest update I decided to completely redo spells, who learns what, and what people can and can't use magic. (Well everyone can use MP now, let's just say)

Because of this I found the labels of White/Black/Call to be too restrictive so I changed their names to Charm for White, Spell for Black, and Hex for Call. So Black isn't necessarily considered purely damage and Charm isn't considered purely help, and Hex doesn't mean that there will only be Summoned Monsters within.

However changing the names of the commands only changes it for battle. Would you be able to include the pointer to also change the White/Black/Call for out of battle?

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2012, 07:25:20 AM »
If someone were to find/post the addresses I would be happy to!

Also complicating things is that something somewhere changes Edge's status screen "Black" magic set label to "Ninja".
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:34 AM »
Hmm, you're right. As simple as it seems, it doesn't appear that these instances of White/Black/Call have been located yet. It doesn't seem too difficult to find in essence, I'll take a look and see what I come up with.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2012, 09:04:50 AM »
I guess no one ever documented them, but they start at unheadered offset 0x0B1EC. The first two bytes are position, then the text string. If you want to expand these, I'm pretty sure each string has its own pointer (looks like these are null terminated; makes sense, it's not like the main menu where every string is always drawn). I completely forget where the code that handles darkening them is, though, so if you expand over the original five character limit, that text will always be highlighted.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:27:01 AM by Dragonsbrethren »

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2012, 10:08:35 AM »
OK, sorry my novice is showing here, but can someone please explain to me, when editing events, what the two numbers represent when loading a map?
I always figured they were x/y coordinates, but I never used load map before now.  Turns out they definitely are not x/y coordinates, because no matter what I seem to set them to, they either have no effect on starting location, or an effect that does not correspond to x/y on a 1-1 basis.
 :wtf:

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »
Hmm they're supposed to be x/y coordinates... has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

Also I do notice they're not labelled in the editor :isuck:
I'll fix that...

:edit:
I don't have time to fix the labels right now but I did a quick test and they seem to correspond to x/y for me. Are you saving your changes? Or maybe try re-downloading the most recent version.
Let's dance!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »
sorry. I'm a dimwit. I wasn't closing the emu or reloading the rom after making changes.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2012, 10:45:21 AM »
Thanks Dragonsbrethren, I don't think I'll need to change that though.

Oh also I found the four labels (still not sure how the game includes Ninja, it might just be something dealing with Edge's actor)

1.1 Headered ROM

0xB3EE - White
0xB3F6 - Black
0xB3FE - Call
0xB405 - Ninja
0xB40D - FFFF (Unused?)
0xB415 - FFFF (Unused?)
0xB41D - FFFF (Unused?)

From what it seems it appears that there are 3 labels unused. It would appear that at one point they may have intended for there to be more than those four classes of magic.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure those blank slots are used for characters who don't have spells in those slots, since their positioning corresponds to the positioning of the magic category strings. (Also, your offsets are wrong if you plan on changing the pointers. The pointers point to the positioning data, not the text itself.)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »
I was just referring to the start of the text, since I assumed that's what the editor looked at rather than strict pointers. But yes, if I'm wrong then it's -2 for all of those, I believe. Interesting bit of info. on the extra identifiers, I'll test that out.

EDIT: Exactly right. They're just blank to show the others properly. Bah.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »
A bug that I've noticed for a very long time but didn't notice until now that it was in fact more serious than I had thought. The Graphic choice in the item menu is all off by one. So if you'd choose Slap, for instance, it would show Powder. It all seems to be off by + one.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2012, 10:57:43 AM »
Fixed the off-by-one error in the medicines menu as far as I can tell, and added X and Y labels to the teleport action in the event editor.

The characters menu is approaching completion as well.
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »
Wonderful! I was thinking I was going to have to use some clever editing and give the player 3 Soma Drops at the start to give to Cecil which would vanish when you leave Baron and 3 Soma Drops to Kain that would appear when you leave Baron but disappear after Mist events. If you complete that tab seems I won't have to take that road, hehe.

Though I assume you're waiting to release a fix until the Character Tabs is complete?

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2012, 02:08:40 PM »
A fix for what? Giving characters MP? The character editor will be able to give them starting MP as well as MP bonuses on level ups.
Let's dance!