Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 235627 times)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
Re: Developing a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #465 on: September 02, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »
Well, you two just effectively made me feel old...

The editor's grown by leaps and bounds recently, so as I've said recently, I think we've got plenty to keep us busy for the moment.

The hack I'm working on is an after-after-years (kinda funny because I've never played TAY). I've got all of my characters created already, and most of the plot fleshed out (minor story details will work themselves out as needed). It's just a matter of getting to doing it all.

I'm actually having more fun right now messing around with making new discoveries (now that I seem to have a working grasp on the basics of ASM), so I hope to assure you'll be overwhelmed with new stuff to put into FF4kster when you get the opportunity, Pinkpuff.
 :laugh:

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 02, 2013, 11:51:38 PM »
If you haven't yet tried TAY you should watch an LP of it if you have the time. HCBailly made a fantastic FFIV TAY LP, his favorite game of all time is FFIV and for the most part treats FFIV-TAY with the respect it deserves. Though since you're making such a story I imagine you've likely at least read the plot outline.

I am pretty sure Dragonsbrethren had to have found this some time in the past but I've located the ATB byte for FF2 US in RAM (For real this time!) at...

7E16BE - Enables ATB by changing the value there to 01.

Unfortunately I can't find this in ROM, though it should exist somewhere...

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 03, 2013, 12:41:55 AM »
That's a good idea, watching an LP. I read the plot outline on ff wiki, but my story really only borrows bits and pieces (biggest being that Ceodor and Ursula are playable characters). I should watch the whole thing to fix any possible holes.

Are you talking about an ATB guage? Is that actually programmed into the game but not used?!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 03, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »
Oh no, it's just the Active Time Battle being set to... well Active instead of Wait as it is by default in FFII US with no way to change it. I recall that Dragonsbrethren ported the menu from FFIV Easytype over to our FFII and the ATB type was there to change... I think.

Also interesting idea you have with your TAAY, mine is set quite a bit further in the future and the complications that would rise from such arrangements as hinted at in the ending of FFIV:TAY.

:edit: It seems event flags are stored from 1280 to 12DF - Meaning there should be 95 Event Flags, that is of course if they aren't stored in a bit fashion.

One of the CMP 04's must be in regards to when you first enter the Underworld. Whenever you clear that flag you can reboard the Airship but it will continually take you to the crash scene.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:27:38 AM by Grimoire LD »

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 03, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Alright, so I figured out a work around to get the game to work with Active ATB from the start.

I put a write on the Initial Color of Menu's and after a minute or so of holding "run" saw that it escaped its loop to... end up 3 bytes from it's initial starting point. But this is all that I ended up needing.

In LoRom/HiRom...

0x19B2B - A2 00 30 (LDX 0030)- Default Window Color for new files.
0x19B2E - 8E AA 16 (STX 16AA)- Where to store default colors.

In ROM...

0x9D2B - A2 00 30 (LDX 0030)- Default Window Color for new files.
0x9D2E - 8E AA 16 (STX 16AA)- Where to store default colors.

With this you can... well change the starting file to any color you like But more importantly for my purposes I switched its function.

I change 8EAA16 to 8EBD16 - Making it change the value at 7EBD16 causing Active ATB to activate. The only downside is that the game starts with a black menu instead of a blue one. A small price to pay and can be easily changed. Besides, Black always appealed to me more, haha.

:edit: I had no idea there was a choosable formula based on physical attack power! I swear I never saw that in any earlier version of the editor. Great find, considering all named abilities don't use it!

:edit: 2: How interesting. Though it is clearly based on Physical Power, Magical Defense is the stat taken into consideration.

:edit: 3: Element, whether it be of weapon or set by the ability itself, is not taken into consideration.

:edit: 4: Spell power does nothing to the power of this formula.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:49:20 PM by Grimoire LD »

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #470 on: September 03, 2013, 07:13:49 PM »
I found the window color before, but wanted to do all the config menu settings in one topic since the game initializes most of them in the same code, I just wasn't such which were which. (why are RAM maps of this game so bad?) Feel free to go ahead and do those if you feel like it, I've been busy with GoldenEye again. I'd suggest doing traces in FF4, since it's easier to see which settings are being affected, the RAM addresses are the same between versions, code's likely slightly off in ROM.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 03, 2013, 07:55:36 PM »
That's not a bad idea. Also do you happen to know if the Gradual Petrify and Doom Bugs are fixed in any other SNES version of FFIV? If we could figure out how to fix that, it opens up more options for the player to use.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #472 on: September 03, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »
Deathlike's algo guide should have all the bug fixes noted. IIRC, those bugs are in all versions. Easy Type's the least bugged version. (Even the PlayStation version is buggier than Easy Type)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 03, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »
Always a joy to re-read that wonderful guide. But oy... so many glitches one has to watch out for. It's a shame that no SNES version fixes the Slow Petrify and Count bugs.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 08, 2013, 11:48:28 PM »
Hmm, I've either noticed a bug or an untested component of event editing. Quizzically enough there is an event instruction called "x50 Gil" which is completely redundant since there's a x100 Gil right after it. So I tested it and it doesn't add x50 Gil to the inventory. But I'm starting to wonder if that was ever its function in the first place since it seems like an odd thing to include.

And confirmed! What this actually is a X -100 Gil command. That's actually pretty neat to know and was missing in the initial FFIV's sequence of events. The issue clearly is though there is no check for money when you initiate an event.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 10, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »
I don't understand... x-100? So like, it subtracts x100 Gil?
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 10, 2013, 10:05:44 AM »
I should have just said that, yeah that's what it does.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 23, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
Oh, I'm not sure if you ever finalized this, but should the most recent editor have Lunar/Underground enemy AI Scripts? Or is that still in the works?

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 24, 2013, 06:40:35 AM »
Yes it should. However, due to an oversight, certain lunar monsters still show non-lunar scripts. Specifically, the lunar monsters which do not appear in the lunar encounter lists (such as bosses). My plan once I have time to work on this again is to create a key for toggling the script display between lunar and non-lunar for the currently selected monster.
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 04, 2013, 09:50:54 AM »
OK, here are my findings.
The summary is that it's really only worth the while to modify targeting of Sing and Recall, but here's the rest:

Code: [Select]
00 Fight - NO
05 Dark Wave - NO
06 Jump - NO
07 Recall - YES
08 Sing - YES
09 Hide - NO
0A Medicine - NO
0B Pray - YES (sorta... you can make it target only the caster instead of the whole party, because it NEVER has a cursor)
0C Aim - NO
0D Store - NO
0E Kick - NO, (but the visual change is complete - only the targeted enemy will flash, but all take damage)
0F Gird - can't tell, but only the caster gets the "armor" animation
11 Strengthen - Honestly, I have no idea what this does. I thought it was supposed to raise the caster's WIS score, but saw no such thing happen when using SNES 9X Debugger, so I don't know...
12 Cry - irrelevant
13 Cover - NO
14 Peep - NO
16 Dart - NO
17 Sneak - NO
19 Spirit Wave - NO

I did not test magic commands, because they open sub-menus, with sub-commands that have their own targeting details. I DID test Dart, because those items do not have their own targeting details, but apparently it is not even possible to affect the targeting options of Dart (even when you change the byte to target multiple, the cursor will still only allow single targeting)

Hmm, I'm not sure how you tested these Chillyfeez, as I've come across some counter-findings...

Fight - No
Dark Wave - No
Jump - No
Recall - Yes
Sing - Yes
Hide - No
Salve - Yes
Pray - Yes (It can target either allies or enemies without worry)
Aim - No
Focus - No
Kick - No
Gird - Yes (As above with Pray)
Twin - Yes
Boast - No
Cry - Yes
Cover - No
Peep - No
Crash - Yes
Dart - No
Sneak - No
Regen - No

So you were only slightly off. But I thought it would be best to double check just in case. Being able to retarget Salve, Gird, and Pray may have its uses down the line.