Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 235633 times)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Developing a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
A quick note. I recently came across Phoenix's old event tile info. that was in a random topic (I think randomly enough started by me) and you asked him how the event tiles worked (thereby making that one "table" of mine in that other topic worthless) and he pasted the real table. I've been busy making that more comprehensive by pointing out the event and event flags required for each event, but I came across one discrepancy in the events....

There's an event called "Rosa being captured", but wait... that's covered in the Kain/Cecil battle. So why would that be a separate event and a tile event of all things?

That's when it occurred to me that Rosa being sick in Kaipo is not in the event files so I took a look and it seems that the event "Rosa getting captured" is actually "Rosa sick in Kaipo".

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 02:42:58 PM »
Nice little program you have here, finally got around to using it the past few days now that I have some of my emulation stuff reinstalled. I'm not exactly thrilled with the keyboard driven interface, but its capabilities make up for that. Monster and action sequence editing are on my wishlist for this.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 01:23:50 PM »
Have you used the event editor at all? I'd say that's one of the largest achievements of the editor thus far. The only thing that bothers me *slightly* about that is the use of plain numbers instead of Hex. For Formation F0 is Formation 240 or something like that, in events. Also the "activate/deactivate" objects make much more sense when looked at in their hex counterparts and makes it very clear what is being removed and added, (through Phoenix's NPC documents) once you do a little bit of calculation.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 08:15:09 PM »
I poked around with it a little bit, nothing serious yet, though. What I'm working on at the moment is kind of low key compared to what I was doing in the past (but, on the upside, has a much greater chance of being completed).

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2012, 09:25:21 PM »

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2012, 09:53:10 PM »
Very nice! Maybe I should scale back my plans as well and wait for the editor to get a little bit further before messing with location triggers and what not (these documents are in terrible need of formatting of some sort) Well I guess Location Triggers is usable... but some of Phoenix's other old notes do not look good in notepad or wordpad.

That's a fun proof of concept though. A battle to prove your worth to a Summon or to get a rare weapon or something. It's a really nice idea. We haven't found anything on how items call events, have we?

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »
Not that I can remember.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 01:50:05 AM »
Dragonsbrethren's work encouraged me to look for what might be calling Item events and to see if more can be added.

We know that the Magazine calls event DB. Dwarf Bread is Event FB (so is Sight, but really that spell is one of the most worthless in the game). Warp is Event 87. I think we can live without Warp, but I can see people's trepidation of living without Exit...

But this all comes back to the main point.

Spells like Sight, Exit, and Warp are all Event based commands, but they're somehow called through the normal event system.

This also applies to Items, but for the life of me I'm not sure how Siren works. It seems to be separate from the other Events.

There's something somewhere that says "This Spell, links to That Event" and the same applies with items, this includes Tent/Cabin as one would imagine.

But I'm not sure how to go about looking for these, however if one could figure out how to make different Items or spells link to other events, then a few more possibilities might open up. As of now there's only really the ability to change Dwarf Bread and the Magazine, and if one were to get rid of either Tents or Cabins, there's a possibility for an extra event there.

Are there any memory editors for SNES emulators? I tried Cheat Engine but that thing was clearly developed for more advanced things than SNES roms.

Oh yes, and before I forget, PinkPuff. There appears to be an error with the Tools section. Changing the name, doesn't actually change their name in Rom, the same applies with Price as well. It's as if the whole page doesn't work.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »
I can confirm the Tools thing.

Edit: A few suggestions.

• Unheadered ROM support
  • Show indexes for things like visuals, sounds, etc. next to their descriptions.
  • Option to switch between hex and decimal display for values
  • Enter values manually with the number keys.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:08:20 PM by Dragonsbrethren »

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2012, 06:08:26 PM »
Hmm,

Dragonsbrethren what is a good memory editor to use, you would think? I mean which allows you to view the data dynamically in the game's RAM rather than just the ROM, I'm having trouble finding an application of that for the SNES.

EDIT: I found what... I don't know if it's a bug or just not an added capability yet. For events that generally have two outcomes (Mist Dragon battle event comes to mind) That there's a second event box below the initial one, but it can't be interacted with at all. Also adding a Yes/No Box into a normal event doesn't seem to add this secondary box.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:51:09 PM by Grimoire LD »

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
Hi folks, sorry it's been so long since an update but the past couple of months I've been mostly working on another project (FF-related but not coding related). Your feedback might just inspire me to get back to the grindstone on this though  :wink:

I make no apologies for the keyboard interface; I'm a huge fan of keyboard input in general (plus it's easier to code), and if this were to eventually get mouse support it would probably be one of the last things.
  • Unheadered ROM support is a planned feature but it may be a while before that happens.
  • I think you might be right about the index thing; I'll probably put that in soon-ish, but for now if you want it badly enough you can put indexes there yourself by changing the config files.
  • Hex/Decimal display option: That I think is a really good idea. Once again, I'll get on that soon-ish (sorry I can't be more specific with times but I'm not on a deadline so my progress is strictly dependent on my drive at the time, which can vary a lot).
  • I might be able to add the number-typing feature to some of the numeric inputs but not all. For example, equipment prices are a list of prices, not something you can just type in arbitrary numbers for (e.g. you can't have an item costing, say, 50001 Gil).

I'll see if I can have a look at that tools-naming issue and track it down. That should be a fairly straightforward fix.

As always, thanks so much for the input and feedback! Glad someone is getting some use out of the tool even if it is in such a buggy pre-alpha state!
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2012, 11:11:58 AM »
Hi folks, sorry it's been so long since an update but the past couple of months I've been mostly working on another project (FF-related but not coding related). Your feedback might just inspire me to get back to the grindstone on this though  :wink:

I make no apologies for the keyboard interface; I'm a huge fan of keyboard input in general (plus it's easier to code), and if this were to eventually get mouse support it would probably be one of the last things.
  • Unheadered ROM support is a planned feature but it may be a while before that happens.
  • I think you might be right about the index thing; I'll probably put that in soon-ish, but for now if you want it badly enough you can put indexes there yourself by changing the config files.
  • Hex/Decimal display option: That I think is a really good idea. Once again, I'll get on that soon-ish (sorry I can't be more specific with times but I'm not on a deadline so my progress is strictly dependent on my drive at the time, which can vary a lot).
  • I might be able to add the number-typing feature to some of the numeric inputs but not all. For example, equipment prices are a list of prices, not something you can just type in arbitrary numbers for (e.g. you can't have an item costing, say, 50001 Gil).

I'll see if I can have a look at that tools-naming issue and track it down. That should be a fairly straightforward fix.

As always, thanks so much for the input and feedback! Glad someone is getting some use out of the tool even if it is in such a buggy pre-alpha state!

Glad to hear back from you. This may be asking a bit much in advance, but I was curious to know what will eventually be put into the dummied Character tab?

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
I fixed the tools thing. At least, it's working on my end; please let me know if it's still persisting for you guys.

Glad to hear back from you. This may be asking a bit much in advance, but I was curious to know what will eventually be put into the dummied Character tab?

Not at all! Ask anything you like  :wink:
I have barely even started on characters, but the information I know off hand that is definitely associated with them is level-up data (stat-ups, TNL, etc), and I'm pretty sure the magic set links are associated with characters becuase I seem to remember thinking they would be associated with actors but having to redesign them out of the actor editor... Beyond that I'm not sure, I need to go back to digging into the docs.
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
Sounds pretty extensive. Yeah that seems to be a section that would take a pretty long time to get up and running to exactions. Especially since Level Up data for the first 70 Levels (though I guess there's really only 70 Level stat ups for Rydia, since she's the only character to start at Level 1) is all unique rather than set-level up patterns.

Also tried the new version. The Tools menu seems to work now. Now if Only I could find how they find how events are linked to specific items...

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2012, 06:38:54 AM »
Sounds pretty extensive. Yeah that seems to be a section that would take a pretty long time to get up and running to exactions.

It shouldn't be too bad once I actually, you know, get my butt in gear and start working on it. I got a big chunk of work out of the way on the other project yesterday though so now I should be able to focus on this. I'm still trying to work out in my head how the interface is going to look for this component. I have some ideas but I'll have to try a couple and see how they play out to see what I want to go with.

Especially since Level Up data for the first 70 Levels (though I guess there's really only 70 Level stat ups for Rydia, since she's the only character to start at Level 1) is all unique rather than set-level up patterns.

That's true (except Paladin Cecil also starts at L1), but if I'm not mistaken I think I'll be able to make it variable such that you can have anyone start at any level and have the appropriate levelups map correctly, provided there's enough space in that part of the rom to hold the sum total of all the levelup data (so you probably wouldn't be able to have everyone start at L1, but definitely you could have different characters start at levels different from what they would normally start at).

Also tried the new version. The Tools menu seems to work now. Now if Only I could find how they find how events are linked to specific items...

That would be a godsend! And would probably shed light on how the out-of-combat spells are mapped to their instructions as well.

I've actually been compiling a sort of "wishlist" as I've been making this program, of things that I would love to be able to include but I just can't find any information on (and don't have the skill to figure out myself). So far it's just been in the form of a text file, but maybe I should post it here on the forum?
Let's dance!