Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 236542 times)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Developing a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #405 on: August 14, 2013, 12:06:08 AM »
You will have to be a little clearer on what you edited. It sounds like an event issue, but you can never be too sure.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 14, 2013, 05:23:14 AM »
I just took a fresh ROM, changed nothing and saved in FF4kster. The event played out as normal for me.

In order to get any meaningful help you'll have to list out everything you changed, though I'd prefer if you started a new thread for it.

:edit: Incidentally, I just added a formation editor, so have at 'er.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:46:29 AM by Pinkpuff »
Let's dance!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 14, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »
The Reaction AI editor seems to have misleading choices. Choosing any character battle command ("Fight," "Item," etc.) does not actually trigger the monster's reaction. I'm currently experimenting to figure out which entries correspond with which commands, but it will take a long time. There are 255 possibilities, and each one must be tested with each command. I know that "193" (or thereabout) triggers a reaction to "Fight," but since I haven't been able to get reactions to all of the commands, I'm going to try everything. I'm only testing the commands that can target a monster, though, as I don't think a reaction to other commands ("Hide," "Armor," etc.) is possible.

Just thought I'd let you all know that I'm doing this, so as to spare anybody else the time.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 14, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »
Wow, that was fast PinkPuff, I'll test that when I get home later. Also glad to hear that you're tackling that Chillyfeez, looking forward to seeing the results!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 14, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »
Looks like there's a group of unused Imp battles 131-136. 184 - Unused Imp. 204 - Unused Imp. Same with 208. Same with 216-220. 295-296, the same.

Unmistakably Underworld/Lunar formations begin at 257 or in Hex 0100.

TrapDoor's are interesting... in their battle formations their transformation is listed as plainly as if they are there. Which means that it may be something special in the formation (maybe the Mystery Byte being set to 20?) or something else perhaps?

Seems that Moon Formations begin at 369.

377-383 are filled with Dummy's.

405-406 are both the Tricker, nothing different between the two formations.

417 is just an Imp.

421-423 just Imps.

430 - Odin fought in the Underworld? Interesting...

425 and 439 are both Golbez/Shadow. One or the other must be an unused copy.

441-443 - Imp/Dummy's.

457-472 - All filled with Imp.

502-506 - All Imp.

512 - Imp.

Well... that's a lot of unused/dummied formation space.

In total...

131-136 - 5
184 - 6
204 - 7
208 - 8
216-220 - 13
295-296 - 15
377-383 - 22
417 - 23
421-423 - 26
441-443 - 29
457-472 - 45
502-506 - 50
512 - 51

Good work Square! 51 of your 512 - 10% of your chosen space is unused (or was taken out since some were no doubt filled with the programmers)

Well I guess that's more space for us to fool around with, haha. Looking forward to seeing the Formation Chooser for Maps!

:edit: It seems that Mystery Flag 2 must deal something with displaying multiple monsters. When Mystery Flag 2 is set as Off the first monster type will show up fine, but any additional ones will be a glitchy mess.

:edit: 2 Mystery Flag 3 is used Exclusively by the Zeromus Formation. When activated the normal monster graphics will glitch when you enter battle, even though Mystery Flag 2 is still activated.

:edit: 3 Mystery Amount is interesting. When it is not set and you have a Monster Spawning enemy, the spawned enemy will be present automatically. When this value is set to 1 the spawned enemy will not be present until summoned and notably nearly every encounter that has a summoned enemy has that value set to 1.

:edit: 4 Mystery Amount, when set to 2 will hide a group of 2, but from what I could tell, setting it to 3 did not hide a group of 3.

:edit: 5 What do we know about the Auto-Battle functionality? Outside of its proper environments it seems to just cause the player to use the first spell on the list, which is blank. It doesn't seem to do anything with Arrangement or the Mystery Byte, maybe it's formation number itself? Well I guess we'll find that one out soon enough.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:34:20 PM by Grimoire LD »

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #410 on: August 14, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »
Are you really faulting them for reserving space and then not using all of it?

I'm almost sure someone documented autobattles before, although a quick search isn't turning up anything. I hope it wasn't so long ago that it was on JCE's old forum. It's not in the archive of mine, that I can see anyway.

:edit:

http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=961.0

Forum search evidently only goes back so far, had to find this with Google. :wtf:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:41:27 PM by Dragonsbrethren »

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 14, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »
Autobattle notes linked in my previous post. :childish:

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 14, 2013, 09:57:47 PM »
Hah! Thanks Dragonsbrethren! That seems fairly simple and straightforward, maybe that will be added to the editor in time...

I'm not really "faulting" them per se, just poking a little bit of fun, those formations could have been used for other things, add a little more variety here and there.

Oh yes, I recall that Deathlike2 in his mod allowed battles against party members that weren't ordinarily battle...able.  Characters like Palom and Porom for instance. But the editor doesn't seem to contain any data for them. Is it just a matter of graphic pointers?

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 14, 2013, 10:13:12 PM »
chillyfreez just mentioned that a few pages ago: "Also, in the case of a "character" enemy (Dragoon, Girl, Bard, etc.) the "size" bit corresponds to which character it is."

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 14, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »
There's also a bit in the formation that has to be "on" in order to make the character-enemy behave properly. Otherwise they'll face backwards and stand still.
It is possible to make more character battles than exist naturally, but bear in mind that their attacks are limited to what monsters can do; and also, having more than one in a battle will result in some faulty battle graphics.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2013, 11:07:17 PM »
I must not have realized what the size byte referred to at the time. Thanks for that information.

Though when I tested multiple characters in a battle the game didn't display any faulty graphics but the several conflicting AI scripts did prevent Cecil from doing anything, so there was that.

:edit: Unless you meant the attack animation being where the game assumes a single character would be. Yeah that is a problem.

:edit: 2 I think I've found an error. The enemy arrangements should go up to 255, granted that is what the Character Battles show, but the editor only lets you go up to 145 and I believe character's only act properly in using Enemy Arrangement 255.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:20:33 PM by Grimoire LD »

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 14, 2013, 11:44:56 PM »
Yep, that's what I meant.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 15, 2013, 12:26:45 AM »
So these "Must be hit with Weapon Elemental" AI patterns Actually work! I'm very surprised at this, all things considered.

This does bring me to another slight error though. The description of the pattern says that is using 192, but when you go to change it, it starts at 193. It appears to be one off is all.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 15, 2013, 12:54:50 AM »
This does bring me to another slight error though. The description of the pattern says that is using 192, but when you go to change it, it starts at 193. It appears to be one off is all.
I was going to bring that up when I posted my reaction research results. It's coming along nicely. It's all a bit better than I originally thought. Fight, (Item/Black/White/Ninja), Call, Dark Wave, Remember, Sing all are react-able independently of one another (except item/black/white/ninja of each other). I'm hoping, and now almost expecting, that at least Aim, Kick and Dart will be on the list, but... not tonight.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 15, 2013, 01:30:38 AM »
Dark Wave worked for you? I looked where I thought it would react and I couldn't get anything to activate. I thought that maybe it's because Dark Wave is a Dark Elemental attack, that it needed to be labelled as Trigger against a Dark Element?

Your findings are very heartening, though. Looks like this system is not so cut and dry after all.

:edit: I've noticed an error in the Enemy Stats. Though you can change the individual attack and defense formulas, these changes do not actually appear to do anything, despite their displayed amounts.

Though changing the index works just fine, as one may expect.

:edit: 2 Seems another "off-by-one" issue with the Sing commands. When you go to put it in the value chosen is off by one.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:18:18 AM by Grimoire LD »