Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 223644 times)

Zozma

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Developing a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »
i was doing a play as i go fix of all my npc bugs and i got to troia castle, and realized i cannot access the npcs in the troia hospital or in several other places for that matter. but because in my hack you dont have the default games party i cant fix this. and one of the characters, my cid takes palette assignment instead of default player character palette because he is in the golbez slot, so he has the wrong palette here too lol...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:52:33 PM by Zozma »
eh, what do I care...

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 12, 2013, 03:16:51 AM »
It doesn't look like ff4kster enables you to alter the second byte of map properties (the "map index").

Fixed.

And actually it appears to have been an oversight more than anything else; it was already reading and writing the map index, it just didn't have an entry in the editor menu. It probably just fell through the cracks when I was organizing the different menus.

i was doing a play as i go fix of all my npc bugs and i got to troia castle, and realized i cannot access the npcs in the troia hospital or in several other places for that matter. but because in my hack you dont have the default games party i cant fix this. and one of the characters, my cid takes palette assignment instead of default player character palette because he is in the golbez slot, so he has the wrong palette here too lol...

Hm, you're right, Troia Hospital NPCs don't appear in FF4kster for me either... which is strange as it seems to be reading everything else correctly... I'll do some digging, and in the meantime if anyone has any ideas or speculation I'm all ears...
Let's dance!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 12, 2013, 10:58:25 AM »
Sweet. Thanks as always.

Regarding the Troia hospital NPCs, I seem to remember having seen some of the bank 2 messages hanging out in the Troia Lobby (in ff4kster). I'm not home, so I can't confirm right now.

Zozma

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 12, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »
theres another thing. the program will not allow you to add actors golbez or anna to a party, if you use this program on a rom with an event that adds any actor past Kain3, it wont add this character. I used Golbez actor to join where fusoya normally does but now it wont add him.
eh, what do I care...

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 12, 2013, 05:25:02 PM »
theres another thing. the program will not allow you to add actors golbez or anna to a party, if you use this program on a rom with an event that adds any actor past Kain3, it wont add this character. I used Golbez actor to join where fusoya normally does but now it wont add him.

I take no responsibility nor concern whatsoever about how FF4kster affects roms that have been modified using any other tools. If you do use extenal tools on the same rom, be sure to make a backup.
Let's dance!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 12, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
So according to phoenix's NPC placement doc, the Troia hospital (map 58) has no NPCs.
Curious...

Zozma

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 12, 2013, 05:39:50 PM »
yeah im able to fix that easily, i just figured id mention that that is how it works.
eh, what do I care...

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 12, 2013, 10:14:43 PM »
Well, yeah, I can think of a couple of different ways to change it.... I'm more curious about how the original programming handles the NPCs.

I'm wrong about the Bank 2 dialogue, btw, that IS linked to the map, which makes it even more mysterious.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 13, 2013, 11:00:02 AM »
FOUND IT!!

Map 292 in FF4kster, default name "Tower of Babil 3F"

How in the world they ended up there is beyond me though...
Let's dance!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 13, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »
Hey, did you notice - apparently the Troia Hospital is underground, too. Add it to the list of bizarre decisions made by Team Square...

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2013, 07:45:08 AM »
So, now that the map properties are done, then aside from whatever other random stuff gets discovered in the wishlist thread (on that note, FF4kster now has the ability to edit two-handedness and key-item-ness in a new "Item Ranges" editor that I hope to be able to expand as more info emerges), all that's left is the monster section.

I'm working on the monster editor now, and it doesn't appear too complicated. After that will be monster AIs, and then, once it's been debugged a little of course, FF4kster will be considered v1.0 and I'll be in completely new territory. There are definitely other things I'd like to be able to edit, but I haven't been able to come across any actual documentation for it.

In particular, I'd like to be able to edit the maps (the actual tile layouts themselves, much like FF4Tools). I might be able to reverse-engineer most of the necessary info from playing with FF4Tools, but in either case, another thing I'd like to be able to do, that in a certain sense is kind of required for the map editor, is to be able to preview the graphics. Not necessarily edit the graphics themselves, as there are lots of tools for that, but it'd definitely be nice to, for example, see what a monster will look like if we give it such-and-such graphic with such-and-such palette without having to save and load it up in the emulator for each combination. Likewise, I'd love to be able to preview the animations for weapons, and even spells.

The thing is, while I'm sure it'd be easy to find the location of the graphic tiles themselves with something like Tile Layer, finding the palette information is another thing altogether. For example, I was able to easily find and read the menu graphics which the editor makes use of directly, but it uses a hard-coded palette, not the one in the rom. Is there one set of palettes that's used for all the graphics throughout the game? Or do different kinds of things have different palettes available to them? Is palette 25 for weapons the same set of colors as palette 25 for spells or palette 25 for character portraits?

Also there are things in the monster section that would be very nice to be able to edit but yet I have no documentation for, such as, the actual monster formations themselves (e.g. Imp x3, SwordRat x1), not to mention the monster domain / encounter charts (the list of monster formations you could randomly encounter in a given area).

Anyway thanks again everyone for all your help. We're on the home stretch!
Let's dance!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 14, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »
Well, first of all, REALLY EXCITED for the monster AI editor. I know where to find the info to do it on my own, but the promise of how long it would take has kept me away thus far.

Regarding the pallettes... I'm sure the information is documented somewhere... maybe in yousei's doc? If it's not, then I can help find them, but it will take some time... they're not all together, and there are quite a few to sort through... and I think some are shared between certain graphics.

Also, I don't know where monster formations are documented exactly, butI know the info is out there somewhere. If it helps to know this, zyrthofar's editor, while obnoxiously buggy, DOES have an effective monster formation editor (including previews).

Any thoughts about a music editor? The doc I wrote up should have enough how-to to make it possible. It's not hard if you know what you're doing, but it would be nice to have a program that bridges the gap between midi program and hex editor.

Thanks as always for everything you're doing!

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #297 on: March 14, 2013, 02:04:56 PM »
Weapons and spells do share palettes, I'm not sure what else does. Most things have their own palettes, though. They're documented somewhere, probably Yousei's doc like chillyfeez said.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 14, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »
Well, first of all, REALLY EXCITED for the monster AI editor. I know where to find the info to do it on my own, but the promise of how long it would take has kept me away thus far.

Me too!  :childish: Not sure at this point whether it'll have its own separate editor component or if it will be integrated with the monster editor. We'll have to see how it evolves.

Regarding the pallettes... I'm sure the information is documented somewhere... maybe in yousei's doc? If it's not, then I can help find them, but it will take some time... they're not all together, and there are quite a few to sort through... and I think some are shared between certain graphics.

Weapons and spells do share palettes, I'm not sure what else does. Most things have their own palettes, though. They're documented somewhere, probably Yousei's doc like chillyfeez said.

None of the docs I've collected seem to have that info... do you have a link to the doc in question?

Also, I don't know where monster formations are documented exactly, butI know the info is out there somewhere. If it helps to know this, zyrthofar's editor, while obnoxiously buggy, DOES have an effective monster formation editor (including previews).

I have seen this. One of the reasons FF4Tools is great for reverse engineering is that it produces the actual hex code and tells you where it goes. Thus I can play with things and see what effect it has on the code. With Zyrthofar's editor it's not obvious what's going on underneath the hood as it were.

Any thoughts about a music editor? The doc I wrote up should have enough how-to to make it possible. It's not hard if you know what you're doing, but it would be nice to have a program that bridges the gap between midi program and hex editor.

Hm, possibly. The main obstacle here would be getting the FreeBASIC sound library to cooperate... I've had trouble with it in the past, but we'll see about it when the time comes.

Thanks as always for everything you're doing!

And to you as well!!
Let's dance!

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #299 on: March 14, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »
ff4.txt that comes with FF4Ed, in the Docs folder. It does't look like weapon/spell palette data is documented there, though. Zyrthofar's docs might've had it, but I seem to have misplaced those (again :blush:). Yousei actually also wrote a palette editor, snespal, if you want to search for them yourself. (GBA utils should work too since they use the same palette format, hence why there are so many color restoration GBA hacks.)