Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 224325 times)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Developing a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »
Alright the NPC document is complete (or as complete as I can get it. I'd rather not waste several hours looking up what each message event is, so I skipped the great majority of those) with information on what each event is and what event flags are necessary to run it. So here you all are. I hope this can help in the editor, somehow.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2012, 07:37:45 PM »
It sure will!

I'm still trying to design the trigger editor. It's not as straightforward as I had imagined somehow.

Anyway I fixed the mislabelling issues on my local copy. Next time I upload they will be correct.
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2012, 08:14:22 PM »
Thankfully the Location Trigger data is in nice easy to manipulate chunks of 5. Unfortunately everything else dealing with NPC's and events are not.

Though if I may ask, what design are you currently going for in the Trigger Editor? I know a slight bit about programming, maybe I can help in some way.

:edit:
There's 2429 free Bytes at the end of events. That's Plenty of room to add anything you want for a very large amount.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:49:56 PM by Grimoire LD »

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2012, 06:52:24 AM »
Thankfully the Location Trigger data is in nice easy to manipulate chunks of 5.

It seemed like that at first glance to me too, except I think that event calls need to be part of this component as well. So when you create or edit an event trigger you should in the same edit box be able to specify the details (what conditions to call what events, etc).

Unfortunately everything else dealing with NPC's and events are not.

We'll get there (probably next) but hopefully by that time I'll have a nice portable "event call editor box" from the trigger editor that I can port over to the NPC editor since it uses the same mechanic as the trigger tiles for calling events.

Though if I may ask, what design are you currently going for in the Trigger Editor? I know a slight bit about programming, maybe I can help in some way.

Thanks, but the programming part is actually pretty straightforward. The part I'm working on is a good way to display/manipulate the data that's both somewhat intuitive and still allows full freedom of editing. I'll come up with something I just need to toy with things a little first and it may take some time.
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2012, 10:21:52 AM »
Oh I see. That is probably a much more user-friendly way to go about that then to have three or four separate menus.

So let's see...

There's Treasure/Map Movement/Events and from the Event section is another Sub-section of event triggers that correspond to various step-event triggers, which is little doubt where the complication really arises with all of those "If Event Flag is Set" dealings as those step-event triggers are just as detailed as NPC's and the like.

Yeah, design is something I'm... not the best at so I'll wait to see what you come up with, hehe.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2012, 12:46:32 PM »
If all goes well it will also give you previews of the text from bank 2 when you're entering "data after event call" for those events that use them.
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2012, 12:58:20 PM »
Oh that would be nice. Did that information I found a while back help at all with that, or was I on the complete wrong path?

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2012, 05:50:56 AM »
The bank 2 info I assume you mean? I'm not there yet but I imagine it will be quite handy.
Let's dance!

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »
Don't know if this is still being worked on but I have a couple of things.

-On the stat bonuses when you select the numbers there isn't a 0/0 option to remove any stats that are there. For example, try and remove the Protect Ring's VIT bonus. 
-Editing the game menus possible in the next revision or three?
-Shop 22 is "Mythril Items".
-On the Edit Medicines page when you are in the Information window the "Visual"  is off by one.  When you select "Heal" for example you get "Life1".
-Are there any key combinations to select item and magic icons while renaming?
-Please offer a 2x or 3x view mode.  Seeing things at the original size font on large screen resolutions is a bit difficult.  :(

Otherwise I haven't seen any game breaking bugs like on my old editor or the two different versions by Zyrthofar.  Keep up the great work!

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2012, 06:24:28 AM »
Don't know if this is still being worked on but I have a couple of things.

It is, but I've been distracted with other things lately. I'm currently trying to get my bearings with regards to where I had left off and what needs to be done and how to do it.

-On the stat bonuses when you select the numbers there isn't a 0/0 option to remove any stats that are there. For example, try and remove the Protect Ring's VIT bonus. 

Thanks! Found the problem, it had to do with the way it was reading the armor stat bonuses. Anyway it's fixed now and uploaded, so if you re-download you should be able to turn off the VIT bonus.

-Editing the game menus possible in the next revision or three?

Not sure what you mean... the character battle menus can be edited in the Actor editor. Unless you mean, like, the dimensions and sizes of various game windows? If so, that's not really a high priority for me, sorry. I'm more interested in editing the game data itself, but once I have my main wish list of features implemented I might look into it.

-Shop 22 is "Mythril Items".

Thanks! Shop config file updated in the newly uploaded version.

-On the Edit Medicines page when you are in the Information window the "Visual"  is off by one.  When you select "Heal" for example you get "Life1".

It doesn't do this for me... if you still have problems after re-dowloading please let me know. Perhaps someone else can confirm if this is happening for them as well?

-Are there any key combinations to select item and magic icons while renaming?

Yup! While editing/entering text, hit the Insert key on your keyboard. A colored symbol will come up and you can use the arrow keys to cycle through the various game symbols that don't have an obvious corresponding keyboard key (such as the weapon/armor symbols, item symbols, status effect symbols, etc). When you land on the symbol you're looking for press Enter to insert it into the text.

-Please offer a 2x or 3x view mode.  Seeing things at the original size font on large screen resolutions is a bit difficult.  :(

I imagine it is, but to get such a mode working and tested on my resolution is even more difficult... sorry :(

Otherwise I haven't seen any game breaking bugs like on my old editor or the two different versions by Zyrthofar.  Keep up the great work!

Thanks! Glad to hear people are finding it useful. I'm thinking of perhaps writing a readme and posting it to Romhacking.net once I get the trigger editor done.
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
Hah, I did not know about the "Insert to get game symbols" part. That actually opens up items a fair amount since I don't have to go into another editor just to change the icon.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 10, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »
It was in my "keyboard controls" post on page 1...
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 10, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »
Ah, about 3/4 down the page. That would explain why I didn't remember it too well.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2012, 06:52:09 AM »
At long last I believe I have the trigger editor working. I have given it some very basic testing, so it is entirely possible that it is riddled with bugs but as far as I can tell, it appears to work correctly so far.

The trigger editor works as follows:

First, select a map. When you do so, you will be presented with a list of triggers associated with that map. In this menu you can press INSERT to create a new trigger or DELETE to delete one. The triggers are currently only named with "Trigger ##" so it may appear as though you're only adding/deleting from the end of the list but this is not the case, as it renumbers the triggers whenever the list is changed.

Once you select a trigger with ENTER, a new menu will appear allowing you to edit various aspects of the selected trigger.

Changing its location will allow you to specify the X/Y coordinates of the tile that will launch the trigger. If you change this, be sure to update the corresponding map tiles accordingly (not possible with my editor currently but I'm pretty sure you can do that with Phoenix's FF4Tools), as only certain kinds of map tiles can launch certain kinds of triggers.

Changing its type will allow you to change whether the trigger is considered a treasure, teleport, or event call.

Changing its parameters will allow you to change the particular details such as which treasure you get or where the teleport will send you. In the case of an event call, you can change which event call is launched, and once  you confirm you will be given an opportunity to change the details of that particular event call. The cursor will move to the list of events that are called by the event call and show you what conditions must be fulfilled to execute the currently highlighted event. You can add new events to the event call with INSERT and delete existing ones with DELETE. ENTER allows you to change the currently selected event to a different one. Use the TAB key to alternate between the event menu and the condition menu. In the condition menu, the controls are similar: INSERT to add a condition, DELETE to remove one, ENTER to change the details of the current condition. Conditions are automatically sorted by truth value, so if your condition jumps around after you change/insert it, that is why.

Please let me know if there are any problems. Happy hacking!
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 12, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »
I will have to try this out as soon as possible! Glad to see the trigger editor is up and running!