Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 235910 times)

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
Re: Developing a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
I had thought your editor was actually pretty stable. It isn't? My comment was moreso referring to Zyrthofar's editors that one version breaks equipment and the other version breaks monster stats. Your editor was a really nice start but was lacking some key information, the map properties thing is a wonderful change, the issue as you can imagine is that it doesn't say which map is which, the same follows with item shops and the like.

So your editor was a great start for its time. This new editor already provides simple and easy ways to modify things that used to require a hex editor (e.g. Weapon sprites in battle, commands, spell-sets, command effects for Medicine, Remember, etc.)

Your Treasure Editor is also a nice attempt. The only issue is documentation. I love that I can change treasure, but I don't know Where I'm changing Treasures.

I only jest in the reply.  Mine is probably 90% stable.  Some issues with the character editor sometimes copying character names on top of each other and the magic editor sometimes loves to screw with the spell icon. 

Sad thing is I had a complete log of all the treasure chest and map locations but that has somehow disappeared over time.  I was working on a new editor but now with this one I'll just stop my progress.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 04:09:14 PM »
Hmm, is there any possibility that you could show us what you have? After all your last update to your editor was 8 years ago (wow how time flies) there's a good possibility that your editor would still have some value.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:48 PM »
Hmm, actually there does appear to be some pretty severe problems with this editor as well. Maybe it's the version of FFIV I'm using? In any case when you go to save rom and play that edited rom the editor seems to throw a bunch of incorrect values in the Weapons/Spells index. The Darkness Sword will Absorb, the IceBrand will be Bolt elemental, the Charm Claws will put Float on the enemy, etc. It seems that it's reading something wrong when you go to save it.

Basically it seems that everything is a couple of bytes or bits off. All Dark elemental swords are Absorb elemental, for instance, Ice elemental weapons become Bolt elemental, etc. This same case follows through with spells as well.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 09:01:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been working on the event editor and I'll probably be quite a while at that. There are a lot of config files and such to do with those; but I figure it'll be a good one to have out of the way and will help for testing and such (it's a pain to go through that opening sequence all the time just to test simple things).

Thanks for bringing the bug to my attention, I'll investigate it soon. I have a save file that I've been loading to test things and haven't noticed anything like swords absorbing, but I did notice a quirk with the guard captain in Kaipo trying to run away but somehow not being able to. Related perhaps? In any case, this is very much a work in progress, and will probably result in strange things exploding from time to time, so always back up your rom.

The rom I'm using is v1.1 headered, so that's the one I'm mainly concerned about the behaviour in. If I can get everything working in that one I will consider expanding out to get it to be compatible with other versions.

:edit: Found the problem, fixed it, uploaded fixed version. Even though there is a menu option called "Event Editor" it is currently disabled since it's nowhere near ready.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:30:34 AM by Pinkpuff »
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »
Thanks for your due diligence in getting everything worked out! My internet is running absurdly slow, but I will try to test it out. This in-rom event editor sounds like it will be a very interesting piece of work, I am looking forward to see what you can do with it.

I'll report if there's any other oddities I find along the way.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 06:20:14 PM »
From what I can tell looks like everything seems to work to a T now! Great work!

Oh yes, I did a bit of research onto the magic pointers and I won't exactly say everything is concise, but it is interesting, (at least to me) for people who want to make custom magic effects without having to dig into the system to create new ones from scratch. I haven't finished the section on Pointer 1 yet.

Weapon Sprites:

Sprite 008 - Thrown Handaxe
Sprite 012 - Thrown Ninjastars
Sprite 014 - Thrown Boomerang
Sprite 016 - Thrown Chakram
Sprite 017 - Thrown Items (Yellow)
Sprite 018 - Thrown Items (Blue)
Sprite 020 - ? (looks to just be glitch graphics)
Sprite 024 - Bow?
Sprite 025 -

I have to wonder if the term "sprite" is a misnomer. Considering that something that couldn't possibly share the same sprite like Peep, Fatal, Float, Quake, etc are listed under the same.

Sprites : 00 Cure1/2/3/4/etc (All to do with Pointer 1 and 2?)
Sprites : 01 Protect/Shell/Blink/Ice1/2/3/Shiva (Summon)/Image
Sprites : 02 Life1/Life2/Asura (RaiseAll)
Sprites : 03 (Looks akin to a Cure graphic)

Sprites : 04 Megaflare/White/Warp/Sleep/Drain/Psych/Nuke/Jinn (Summon)/Flare/Smoke/Sylph (Attack),Bahamut (Attack)/Powder/Disrupt/DullSong/Gas/Demolish/Disrupt(2)/Absorb/Vampire/Digest/Pollen/Fission/MegaNuke/

Sprites : 05 (Same as 03?)
Sprites : 06 Peep/Fatal/Count/Search
Sprites : 07 (Looks to basically be Death Faces from Fatal)
Sprites : 08 Mute/Dispel/Size/Toad/Piggy/Venom/Lit1/2/3/Indra (Summon)/Blitz/Indra (Attack)/Breath/Whisper/Poison/Magnet/Blitz(Enemy)/Thunder

Sprites : 09 (Possibly some explosion graphic?)
Sprites : 10 Stone/Flame/Roc (Attack)/Beak/Petrify/Hug
Sprites : 11 Meteo/W.Meteo/Fire1/2/3/Bomb (Summon)/Chocobo (Summon)/Bomb(Attack)/Jinn(Attack)/Explode/Reaction/Fire/Blaze/Explode(2)/Emission

Sprites : 12 (A breath attack, possibly?)
Sprites : 13 Float/Quake (O...kay?)/Titan (Attack)/Quake(Enemy)
Sprites : 14 Comet
Sprites : 15 Weak/Weak(Enemy)/Storm/Tornado/Glare
Sprites : 16 Hold/Charm/Virus/Mage/Bluster/Entangle/Hold Gas/
Sprites : 17 Fast/Berserk/Wall/Stop (Seems that it's mostly in the pointer 1 for this one)
Sprites : 18 Slow/Heal/Silver Staff/Unicorn Horn/Maser/Heal(Enemy)/Heal (Enemy2)/Beam/Laser/Heat Ray
Sprites : 19 (An explosion of some sort)
Sprites : 20 Hatch
Sprites : 21 Pin/Big Bang/Globe199/Needle/Counter/

Pointer 1: 03 Wall
Pointer 1: 28 Fatal (The rising of the reaper and the energy being taken away animation)
Pointer 1: 37 Quake (To be exact the animation of the chasm)
Pointer 1: 47 Flame
Pointer 1: 48 Flood
Pointer 1: 49 Smoke
Pointer 1: 50 Pin
Pointer 1: 60 Blitz
Pointer 1: 61 Mist (Dragon) (Attack)

Pointer 2: 00 Null
Pointer 2: 01 (The graphic starts from the middle right of the target and descends down slightly before vanishing.)
Pointer 2: 02 Venom/Sleep/Flare/Smoke/Powder/Tongue/DullSong/Gas/Digest/Pollen
Pointer 2: 03 Exit (When you're not actually leaving battle with this, the game gets fairly screwy)
Pointer 2: 04 Meteo/W.Meteo
Pointer 2: 05 Comet
Pointer 2: 06 Drain/Osmose/Absorb/Vampire
Pointer 2: 07 Quake (Shaking of the screen)
Pointer 2: 08 (Looks like a burst of graphic raising upwards coming from the bottom of the screen only ever hitting the party)
Pointer 2: 09 (Graphics assault the enemies and only the enemies)
Pointer 2: 10 Imp (Striking Graphic, over rides defaults Sound choice)
Pointer 2: 11 Bomb
Pointer 2: 12 Roc
Pointer 2: 13 Mage
Pointer 2: 14 Chocobo
Pointer 2: 15 Shiva
Pointer 2: 16 Indra
Pointer 2: 17 Stone/?Jinn?/Ray/Beak/Petrify/Hug/
Pointer 2: 18 Titan
Pointer 2: 19 Mist
Pointer 2: 20 Sylph
Pointer 2: 21 Odin
Pointer 2: 22 Leviatan (Curiously enough there is no sprite or pointer 1 provided for it)
Pointer 2: 23 Asura Cure 3
Pointer 2: 24 Asura Cure 4
Pointer 2: 25 Asura Raise All
Pointer 2: 26 Bahamut
Pointer 2: 27 (Graphic flickers on the target briefly, can be multi targeted)
Pointer 2: 28 (Same as above?)
Pointer 2: 29 Explode
Pointer 2: 30 Reaction
Pointer 2: 31 (Seemed identical to Fission)
Pointer 2: 32 Warp/Demolish/Disrupt
Pointer 2: 33 Nuke/?Jinn?
Pointer 2: 34 Big Wave/Wave (The big difference between this and Leviatan's summon attack is this goes towards the party, though it has pointer 1 as well included in the ability, which doesn't appear to do anything.
Pointer 2: 35 Fire 3
Pointer 2: 36 No graphic even shows, damage just appears.
Pointer 2: 37 White
Pointer 2: 38 Odin (Zantetsuken against party, graphics will glitch if it is not Odin using it)
Pointer 2: 39 Big Bang
Pointer 2: 40 Fission (When used as an ally, the damage effect is shown on the caster and they do the pain animation, does not hurt them though)
Pointer 2: 41 Cure 4
Pointer 2: 42 Glance
Pointer 2: 43 Crush
Pointer 2: 44 (Screen flashes briefly and then it repeats Pointer 2: 27 seemingly)
Pointer 2: 45 Gaze
Pointer 2: 46 Bomb (Summon)
Pointer 2: 47 Blk. Hole
Pointer 2: 48 (No graphic)
Pointer 2: 49 (Crashes emulator)

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 12:50:12 AM »
So far I've tested this app extensively with items and magic and it works very well.  Nice work. 

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »
I now have to say, I absolutely Hate the way this game deals with stat bonuses. +Large amounts  and - fairly large amounts, no room for customization past that.

I thought I saw an editor a while back which listed all of the bonuses. Is the stat bonuses a separate entry somewhere? Or are they hardcoded?

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »
I now have to say, I absolutely Hate the way this game deals with stat bonuses. +Large amounts  and - fairly large amounts, no room for customization past that.

I thought I saw an editor a while back which listed all of the bonuses. Is the stat bonuses a separate entry somewhere? Or are they hardcoded?

I believe the byte just points to a data table which you can edit.  I found something to do with it about 10 years ago but lost the offsets.  We should just find that data again and let the rom hacker edit what stats they want to have without penalty or with what penalty they want.  (ie. +15 STR -10 AGI -5 VIT +5 WIS +10 Will)  Is that what you mean?

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »
Yep, having that would add a lot more customizability. I would imagine that each digit (+15, +5, etc) would they be found as their True bytes of 5, 0F, etc? Or since there are only 0/3/5/10/15 would it be a different signifier to begin the search?

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »
Yep, having that would add a lot more customizability. I would imagine that each digit (+15, +5, etc) would they be found as their True bytes of 5, 0F, etc? Or since there are only 0/3/5/10/15 would it be a different signifier to begin the search?

You'd need to account for the negative amounts.  Likely for the game to use 0x40 or 0x80 bits for positive/negative stats. 

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »
Suggestion: Allow both headered and unheadered ROMs? 

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »

I would like to, but first I'm going to get it working for the headered 1.1, then see about adding compatibility for other versions.
Let's dance!

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »

I would like to, but first I'm going to get it working for the headered 1.1, then see about adding compatibility for other versions.

So far I've been using it on V1.0...  That isn't an issue is it?  lol

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 09:34:38 AM »

So far I've been using it on V1.0...  That isn't an issue is it?  lol

Not sure, it could be. If you haven't had any issues with it then I guess it isn't. Have you tried the command editor?
Let's dance!