Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 224336 times)

Entroper

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #1215 on: October 20, 2016, 01:45:19 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for all your work, Pinkpuff.  This will be a great resource, much like the FFHackster code has been.

thepatirckinator

• Mom Bomb
  • God bless you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 20, 2016, 06:08:03 PM »
Pinkpuff's FF4kster must have improved fedorajoe's Golbez hack of Final Fantasy IV dramatically.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:46:49 PM by thepatirckinator »

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 21, 2016, 01:20:18 AM »
Hey Pinkpuff,

unless you want to keep it for yourself, would you like to share what game/projects are you working on?

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 22, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »
Hey Pinkpuff,

unless you want to keep it for yourself, would you like to share what game/projects are you working on?

:childish: I'm glad you asked!

• Dungeon Decks: (Working title) A dungeoncrawling tabletop game that uses playing cards (like the kind you would use for poker). Most of the mechanics are based off a similar game I made themed specifically around Final Fantasy, but this one will be less IP-infringing and based around fantasy more generally so that I might be able to theoretically market it in the future.

• TMNT Sequel: This is essentially intended to be a spiritual sequel to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES (the "Ultra" one). That game has gotten a lot of hate, but I love it and think that a lot of the commonly cited problems can be easily solved, so I set out to create sort of my own version of it. It will be a browser game though, not a NES rom, but a few of the planned features include better level design, better character balance (this will primarily be achieved by removing "flash time" from the monsters so that the speed at which the character swings his weapon will actually matter). The swimming will remain, but (A) while there will still be a "swimming level", it will take place much later in the game (probably the second-last level as opposed to the second level) and (B) there will be limited amounts of water in the "regular" stages and instead of being ejected from a level when you hit the water, you will dynamically switch to swimming mode, much in the same vein as, say Super Mario Bros 3, so the player will have a chance to get used to the swimming mechanic a bit before it really starts to matter. In addition, each turtle will have a "super meter" of sorts that builds up, and when it fills up, they can use their "turtle power". Each turtle would have a unique power that they can activate for a short amount of time that would consume their meter. Mike gets added move speed that allows for some crazy long jumps, Raph gets added defense / no recoil so he can charge through the enemy ranks with relative impunity, Leo can regenerate health (including your inactive characters), and Don can swing his staff in a huge arc rather than stabbing it in a straight line. Also the sub-weapons would be redone such that they are a communal resource (so if someone picks up shurikens, anyone can throw shurikens, not just that turtle), and tracked separately from each other (so if you pick up boomerangs, they don't replace your scrolls, for example). To compensate, the quantities would probably be drastically reduced from their original 20 per pickup. Here's what I have of the physics so far; walking, jumping, ducking, ladders, and attacking work (though taking damage isn't implemented yet, so right now you're invincible), and you can also change turtles (z = jump, x = attack, arrows = move, enter = pause/switch) http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/33007

• Tranlating Minky Momo: Minky Momo is a magical girl anime that is pretty famous in Japan but pretty obscure over here. Everyone on this board will recognize her, though, I guarantee. Just google image search "Minky Momo" and you'll see what I mean ^_^. I suspect that a big part of the reason she isn't so popular or well known here in the west is due to the lack of any kind of translation of the show. I recently did some digging to see if anyone had picked up the torch of making fansubs and it appears no one has, so I figured I might as well give it my best shot. I have one episode done as a proof of concept to make sure I can do all the necessary steps, and I'm currently in the process of prepping the rest of the files so I can go through and translate the rest of the series one by one. First episode: https://vimeo.com/184880676 (Youtube's content filter didn't like it so it's on Vimeo).

I have some other more minor things on the go as well, but those are the major projects I'm working on at the moment.
Let's dance!

Squall

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 22, 2016, 03:41:44 PM »
Woahh, when chillyfeez said you have your hands full, it wasnt exaggeration :laugh:

BTW that "Dungeon Decks" its just WHOOAH. Did you come with the idea alone? Personally I have never seen something like this ...You were able to make each gameplay a new experience, because its random 'generated'. I couldnt understand when the game ends? The idea to use regular cards as random generator ... is just genius!!!

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: October 22, 2016, 04:58:32 PM »
Woahh, when chillyfeez said you have your hands full, it wasnt exaggeration :laugh:

:blush:

BTW that "Dungeon Decks" its just WHOOAH. Did you come with the idea alone?

The idea, yes, I came up with on my own, as well as most of the content. There were a few ideas contributed by my friends though who are helping me playtest. The content is a lot different from what's in that link though as most of that is derived from Final Fantasy whereas Dungeon Decks will have more original/generic stuff.

Personally I have never seen something like this ...You were able to make each gameplay a new experience, because its random 'generated'. I couldnt understand when the game ends? The idea to use regular cards as random generator ... is just genius!!!

Thanks. The game ends when you finish the last quest or when your group decides to call it quits. It's a bit like Dungeons and Dragons or other tabletop roleplaying games in that regard, except you don't need a dedicated "Dungeon Master" type player since the cards do that job.
Let's dance!

elvind

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: June 27, 2017, 04:04:04 PM »
And now... for my next trick... overworld triggers are now editable!! Timecave version updated.

It currently doesn't let you add or delete them, but you can certainly edit them. If anyone figures out where the pointers to the start/end of the overworld/undergound/moon lists are and how they're handled, then I might be able to add that functionality. But until then, those lists will remain fixed size.

Hi! Unless I'm missing something, I can't seem to edit the overworld triggers. I then checked the date of the quoted post (August 9th 2015) and both github and RHDN have a last modified of August 5th 2015. I also attempted to scour the posts for a link to the Timecave version, but I think it was edited out and replaced with github.

Does the Timecave link still exist, and can it be reposted? Or the github version updated... or, I'm entirely mistaken and apologize :)

Thanks!

:edit: For some reason I thought to search timecave.net instead of just timecave and it came right up!

http://timecave.net/ff4kster

in the future for anybody else :)