Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 223645 times)

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
Re: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #1155 on: February 03, 2016, 03:12:59 PM »
can't you do "Screen 18, 24" or "Screen 18, 32" or "Screenres 640, 480, 24" or "Screenres 640, 480, 32" in DOS FreeBasic?  does your GfxLib have a VESA driver?

if you do ScreenList like shown here:
http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=KeyPgScreenlist

, but with 24 or 32 as the argument, what matching modes are there?

i'm not married to DOS -- i actually switched over to Windows this century -- and am not trying to get you to spread your efforts over a second platform, particularly when it's one so few people will use.  however, i think this palette issue should be surmountable under most video cards from the past 20 years.  hence all the follow-up questions. :P
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:22:15 PM by assassin »

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 04, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »
I've never been able to get anything other than the regular screen modes (1 - 13) to work in FB under DOS.
Let's dance!

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #1157 on: February 05, 2016, 01:17:38 PM »
odd.. i'm not sure whether it's an old compiler, an old video card, or mysterious other cause.  what version of FB are you running?  also, can you run vbediag 0.2:

https://drv.nu/vbediag/

and post the output?  (it's recommended on the freebasic.net Wiki [http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=FaqDOS], and i tried it, so it should be safe.)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:52:48 PM by assassin »

Bahamut ZERO

• Phantom Train
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 05, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »
Damn, I was sort of hoping that by some miraculous chance that Overworld map editing was becoming a reality when I saw some new activity in this thread.

But since that isn't the subject - isn't there a Windows emulator (called Vine or something?) that you could just run the current version of FF4kster in? I'd be surprised if there wasn't some form of that for smart phones.

Plus think of the irony of using an emulated OS to run an editor for ROM hacking  :happy:
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 05, 2016, 07:31:52 PM »
Pretty sure you're thinking of Wine, but as far as I know, it doesn't exist for android. I've searched for windows emulators in the play store, but to no avail.

Bahamut ZERO

• Phantom Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 06, 2016, 02:28:53 PM »
Pretty sure you're thinking of Wine, but as far as I know, it doesn't exist for android. I've searched for windows emulators in the play store, but to no avail.

Hmm looking at a google search, there's an app called Crossover that should be out by now that'll let you run Windows programs on your phone. :D

Looks like an Android version of WINE is supposed to be out some time soon as well, so your idea of essentially having a portable FF4kster is looking pretty damn plausible!
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 06, 2016, 04:20:42 PM »
I'm not holding my breath with WINE. they've been talking about an android version in the works for two years solid now.
I'll see what's up with Crossover, though. Not sure I've ever heard of that.

:edit:
CrossOver for android doesn't exist yet, either.

cardunmax

• Wing Raptor
  • I'm no moon....I'm a space station.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 16, 2016, 07:17:51 PM »
I just wanna say....I am a totally new to this Rom Hacking thing myself....I'm learning a few things about it and there are at least two games I would like to change around.   First off and this is the most, I wanna make a Final Fantasy IV hack that is the sequel to Pinkpuff's Unprecedented Crisis game....one of the best Rom Hacks of the game ever.

Secondly and this might be moot point....a hack of The Legendary Axe II for the Turbo Grafix 16 a hack that would allow you to play as the other brother cause he wore pants.  LOL

I think I can speak for myself, pinkpuff and the rest of the fans of Cecil and Golbez that we need a more exclusive and easy to use Hacking tool for Final Fantasy IV, why should the Final Fantasy VI people get all the fun? 

Those of us who love Final Fantasy IV are at the mercy of Tile Layer tools and have to learn offsets and do guess work with the colors without an undo button so we get less than detailed "New" sprites for things.   

It's something that another hacker seems to suffer from and he's got a good thing going.

Does anyone here know who invented the Final Fantasy VI hacker? :bored: :yabin: :cybez:

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 17, 2016, 08:29:43 AM »
Always glad to see a fellow fan! And I agree that Unprecedented Crisis is one of the best Rom Hacks Ever made! I am not sure what you're referring to with the "Final Fantasy VI Hacker" though.

Bahamut ZERO

• Phantom Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 17, 2016, 12:23:26 PM »
I think I can speak for myself, pinkpuff and the rest of the fans of Cecil and Golbez that we need a more exclusive and easy to use Hacking tool for Final Fantasy IV, why should the Final Fantasy VI people get all the fun? 

It's called FF4kster.  :wink:

But seriously,  I'd be amazed if you could find a game that has an editor that is the equivalent of RPG-Maker-That-Doesn't-Suck than FF4 at this point. It's an amazing, virtually bug-free tool (I haven't had any problems since the namingway-screen issue was fixed :D ). You just have to keep backups (of your project) and play around with it and learn it's setup.

First off and this is the most, I wanna make a Final Fantasy IV hack that is the sequel to Pinkpuff's Unprecedented Crisis game....one of the best Rom Hacks of the game ever.

I've been meaning for quite some time to play through this, as I've heard many good things. Same goes for Chillyfeez's TFW (as I keep starting to play through it, then getting sidetracked by my own project until I'm burned out on FF4 for a short  period, then rinse and repeat lol.)

Those of us who love Final Fantasy IV are at the mercy of Tile Layer tools and have to learn offsets and do guess work with the colors without an undo button so we get less than detailed "New" sprites for things.   

Use YYCHR. It has tile arrangement patterns to help see graphics better (and you can edit in your own), it has and undo/copy/paste functions, and can load up palette data by using ZSNES save states. Also there's no need for a Tile Arranger when it comes to YYCHR, as you can easily have a second instance of YYCHR loaded up with a blank rom and just do your editing there.

Also, my graphics thread has a txt file on the first page that lists the offsets of all the graphics I've come across (and a few that others have come across). I believe I also have a zip file with numerous  ZSNES save states with (I believe) all the in battle character palettes, most of thier out-of-battle palettes, and a majority of the other stuff.

I put them there for just this purpose - so no one has to fumble around doing guesswork like I did when editing DK Cecil's NPC and Battle sprites back when I used Tile Layer Pro. Trust me, once you're using YYCHR and the things from that thread, it'll make things some a LOT easier then you'd think.

cardunmax

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 18, 2016, 05:59:16 PM »
Anyone have a Tutorial for Idiots about how to use YYCHR the way mister Bahamut Zero does?   I'm merely the Final Fantasy IV master of the Universe player not the master Rom Hacker.

When it comes to that I'm less than a spoony bard.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 18, 2016, 08:29:45 PM »
 :offtopic:
Hey, max, I'd recommend you starry a new topic for this discussion...

cardunmax

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 18, 2016, 10:01:01 PM »
Sorry...Um......I like FF4kster....and I love's Pinkpuff.

Rodimus Primal

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: March 06, 2016, 11:55:37 PM »
I haven't checked this board in a while, but I wanted to know if there could be a feature request (if its not already in the current version) for FF4kster. The NPC editor goest through the list of all 512 or so NPCs but only states their "name". What would make it easier to navigate, and not screw up the wrong NPC, is to also have a number associated with them next to their name. So if it's NPC 275, it doesn't just say "Rydia", but "275 Rydia." Is it at all possible?

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: March 07, 2016, 08:01:56 AM »
You could actually do that yourself using the config file, Rodimus.
It's FF4kster\config\npcs.cfg
Just open that up in some text editing program (notepad, or whatever) and type those numbers in, between the existing number and the name.