Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 223652 times)

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
Re: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #1140 on: October 29, 2015, 07:28:36 PM »
I can't take credit for it. I think JCE was telling you that at the time  :wink:

GrayWolf67

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: October 29, 2015, 10:39:18 PM »
Hmm... I tried getting a ROM from a different site, and this one works just fine... I guess the other site was mistaken about the version?  I did check out the one that was getting errors and it appeared to be a genuine 1.1... I'm a noob with this stuff and don't know how to check ALL the details, but I heard the file size of a 1.1 is 1,048,576 bytes, and it matched.  I can't be sure whoever uploaded it in the first place didn't edit it at all beforehand, though.

It was kind of hard to track down a site that had a perfectly clean, unheadered 1.1 ROM (at least for me)... I've gotten several ones labeled as 1.1 that simply did not work with FF4kster.  Is it against the forum rules to just mention names of sites where confirmed good/working ones were found?  I looked around here and didn't see anything like that mentioned.  I know linking to a site directly is probably too risky for legal reasons...

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: October 30, 2015, 05:50:11 AM »
The file size will only tell you whether or not it has a header. 1.0 and 1.1 are the same size otherwise.

Glad to hear you got it working!
Let's dance!

avalanche

• Mom Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 05, 2015, 01:16:07 PM »
Tiny contribution for your config files, if you don't already have it (my version of your editor is old).  Event flag 0x3E (62 decimal) that is set when Rydia rejoins the party is for whether the Tanks display at the Tower of Babil.  Fun enough, it's checked every frame (at 00:92C2) so you can edit it at $1287 (bit mask 0x40) and see them appear or disappear live.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 25, 2016, 11:49:05 AM »
Hi Pinkpuff - I have a question, and for all I know it could be ludicrous and completely unreasonable, but what the heck...

How possible would it be to develop a version of FF4kster for Android? In the OP you mentioned that developing a Linux version would be possible, and I know Android is in some way based on Linux.

I ask because there are definitely times when I'm sitting around not doing much and I have the impulse to work on my hack, but the ordeal of moving to another room and sitting in a less a comfortable computer chair in order to do so proves prohibitive.
I am well aware that that qualifies me as a lazy SOB in said situations.

While I have gotten pretty familiar with SNES ASM over the last couple of years, I have precisely zero prior programming experience, so this really is just me putting the question out there. I understand fully if the answer is "I can't do that," or, "it would be a bigger job than I'm willing to undertake at the moment," or some variation thereof.

Cheers!

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 25, 2016, 12:27:03 PM »
Unless FreeBASIC now has an Android target, which seems unlikely I'm afraid, it would be extremely difficult. I also can only imagine the horror of trying to navigate FF4kster's keyboard interface with the Android pop up keyboard. Bizarrely, what might actually be easier is if there is an MS-DOS emulator for Android, I should be able to compile FF4kster for DOS without much difficulty.
Let's dance!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 25, 2016, 02:49:14 PM »
Oh, yeah, I have a great DOS emulator already. And I have a Bluetooth keyboard, so that's no big deal.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 25, 2016, 02:51:54 PM »
Sweet, I'll see what I can do this week.
Let's dance!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 25, 2016, 05:04:50 PM »
Cool. Thanks!

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 02, 2016, 05:24:30 AM »
Turns out there is a major hinderance to a DOS port of FF4kster; namely, the screen mode is not supported and changing it would involve a major rework of how the graphics are handled.

Sorry, chillyfeez  :isuck:

Let's dance!

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #1150 on: February 02, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »
what's the screen mode?  looks like (80+ columns) * (about 60 rows).  VESA BIOS supports some big text modes, and is callable from DOS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions

not saying porting'll be worth the time, but it might be doable.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 02, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »
Despite what it may look like, it's actually a graphics mode and uses a type of palette assignment that DOS screen modes of that resolution aren't compatible with. To get full color depth in DOS in FreeBASIC, it would require changing the resolution and thus the entire interface.
Let's dance!

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #1152 on: February 02, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »
ah.. is it 640 x 480?  can you just use a 24-bit color mode (or maybe even 16 or 15- bit) and skip the palette?  in 8-bit color mode, is it the 256 palette indices that's the barrier, as opposed to the 6*6*6-bit palette range?

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 02, 2016, 12:06:38 PM »
It has more to do with the way FreeBASIC's palette commands work in higher color depth modes. In the DOS modes it wants you to say something like "COLOR 12" meaning "use whatever color is in palette index 12"; in the graphics modes, you wouldn't worry about indexes and just tell it the RGB values
Let's dance!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 02, 2016, 08:25:32 PM »
Well,  thanks for trying, anyway, Pinkpuff.