Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 246581 times)

Rodimus Primal

• Siren
    • View Profile
Re: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #1095 on: July 03, 2015, 12:07:53 PM »
I don't think so. I was able to change all the town maps and added the Namingways to their proper locations with no issues. Namingway works as he should too. I was also able to delete the text during the Mysidia Flashback in the intro. I was even able to delete the triggers in the town maps to the Training Room as the doors aren't there any longer.

I'm hoping I can add the NPCs to the original Training Room. Like you said before, Grimoire LD, there might be special coding as to whether or not its an underground map or not.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 03, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
Namingway is also messed up in Unprecedented Crisis. Not sure how that happened.
Let's dance!

Rodimus Primal

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 03, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »
I double checked it over just to make sure that it wasn't a header issue either. The version on timecave will mess up the Namingway even if you do NOTHING to the ROM except save.

Namingway is also messed up in Unprecedented Crisis. Not sure how that happened.

I hope this doesn't ruin your project. Maybe there's a way to fix it.

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
  • If ye're takin a beatin, hop in de back row!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: July 06, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »
Oh wow, I really should've checked this post first.

So the messed up X/Y coordinates on the Namingway screen are caused by the editor itself?  As Grimoire said, that's a bit of relief since I've had that problem since implementing the Morph command. Ironically I was on the verge of making a thread asking about how that screen works since I've been wanting to fix that for awhile. Though while tweaking some menu names I found that editing the selectable characters  in the Namingway screen is as easy as doing a text search for "ABC" in WindHex.
Also of note to any out there looking to add things to that menu, you can change/add those characters incredibly easy, and added letters/symbols work nicely. You can even add a "space" tile, as long it's using one of the unused spots in the font.

I'm not sure what the hell happened with the disappearing Baron NPCs as I've been messing around with NPCs on my end like crazy lately, mostly to try to shoehorn in an imitation FF6 savepoint using the "sparkle" graphic npc in Overworld Save Rooms. Yeah... totally not worth it, though it was a fun, albeit agitating, evening.

On the subject of the restoredTraining Room's NPCs, if that map uses Overworld NPCs you should be able to use a combination of Baron Castle's soldiers and Mysidia's mages and be good to go. Since there are only six(?) NPCs in the training room, it should be pretty easy finding NPCs  that have the "call Bank 2 Message (insert number here)".

A (somewhat) easy of of finding them quickly is to have two FF4ksters open at once, one on the left (the one you're using to edit with) and one on the right (for looking at the NPC's without having to constantly go back and forth double/triple checking you have the right ones).
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

Rodimus Primal

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 06, 2015, 01:50:14 PM »
Well I may have to change that Training Room to an Underground map and use the open slots in the back. The NPCs are 5 Soldiers, 1 Old Man, and 1 Namingway.

I curious if deleting the Training Room soldier outside had anything to do with the disappearing Baron Town NPCs.

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 06, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
Hmm, maybe deleting that soldier DID have something to do with it. I'll have to test that later on this evening when I have some more time freed up. I was about to say that didn't happen to me when I deleted him, but then I remembered I swapped him out for a Namingway and didn't delete the NPC number for that town's list.

EDIT: I forgot  that I in fact had removed the soldier in my project, along with the dancer and her dress NPCs before adding a mach speed Namingway to the map. So I'm not exactly sure WHAT caused your issue.

If you change the Training Room to an Underground map, you might run into some problems with transferring. I had to use a couple of events to rig the Overworld Tower of Babil to transfer to the Lunar Palace's crystal room in order to not end up in the Baron Town glitch map. Granted, I was going from Overworld to the Moon, so you might not run into that issue.

Lookiing at the Overworld NPCs to see if they could be useful to you, I found:

1: Mist/Damcyan/Fabul/Troia/Agart Old Man -Bank 2 Message 4 :

2: Fallen Soldier (Visible) - "Terrible Bombardments from the airships (pretty sure this event is used by maybe one NPC in Damcyan castle, in theory you could just use another NPC in it's place and use this one as a Soldier)

3:Training Room Soldier Outside:  I'm not sure if this NPC was used in town before the US FF4, so you might have yourself one soldier so far

4: Cave Eblana Soldiers: I  Notice they all use "Bank 2 Message *", and call messages 3, 4, 5, and 6 (counting the "Soldier - unused? NPC in between them). So that's four soldiers right there without having to edit them!

With that. you can probably set the training room NPCs mainly using 1 and 4, chandging the message number on one of the Eblana soldiers and redoing a bit a of text in Eblan cave so no one would ever know you did. Then it's up to you where to get that fifth soldier from (I'd go with number 2, since it's an NPC only seen once after Damcyan's bombed, and doesn't say anything important._
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:51:21 PM by Bahamut ZERO »
I update my graphics thread on almost a daily basis, so keep an eye out for new stuff!

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 12, 2015, 06:09:39 AM »
Namingway bug fixed, and new version uploaded to timecave.

Turns out it had to do with adding in the "Extra" jobs. It was trying to write out-of-battle spell set links for them, which must have caused it to bleed into the namingway cursor code.
Let's dance!

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 12, 2015, 01:37:38 PM »
Now that you mention it, I noticed that "Extra 1" randomly had FuSoYa's inbattle spellsets set to it. Huh.

Anyway.. great to hear the Namingway bug's fixed! Downloading now. :D

EDIT: Damn, it didn't fix my bugged Namingway screen, which means my problem's definitely caused by the implemented Morph command, and not FF4kster. Should solve anyone else's issue with it, though hahaha.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:43:03 PM by Bahamut ZERO »

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 13, 2015, 05:28:50 AM »
Clarification: The new version will not fix an already broken ROM. It will just stop breaking future ROMs.

:edit: To fix namingway from having been broken by FF4kster, A7FCC unheadered or A81CC headered should have the following six bytes instead of 00s:

38 48 58 68 78 90
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 13, 2015, 08:48:55 AM »
That is a rather impressive fix! This must have been quite a time debugging this one. Great work! I've tested it and it works fine.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 13, 2015, 08:55:59 AM »
I used a similar strategy a long time ago when a mysterious bug was causing the FuSoYa/Golbez/Zemus battle to mess up. I knew that if I commented out all the routines that save, the ROM would remain unchanged. Something must be happening during the saving process; it's either saving something to the wrong place or in the wrong way, or it's bleeding for some reason. So I started by commenting out the first half of all the save routines. If the bug still occurs, I know it's in the other half; if it doesn't, it's something in the half I commented out. Then repeat that process for that half and "hone in" in a binary-search way until I've narrowed it down to exactly what routine is causing the problem, and from there I can do a similar strategy with the contents of that routine to figure out what part of the process is going wrong (if it isn't immediately obvious)
Let's dance!

Rodimus Primal

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 13, 2015, 10:18:56 AM »
To quote Trailbreaker in Fire on the Mountain, "Awww, hexagonal nuts!"

Sweet fix. Now I can continue working on my project.

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: July 13, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »
Clarification: The new version will not fix an already broken ROM. It will just stop breaking future ROMs.

:edit: To fix namingway from having been broken by FF4kster, A7FCC unheadered or A81CC headered should have the following six bytes instead of 00s:

38 48 58 68 78 90

Worked like a charm! You just made my day. :)

Rodimus Primal

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 17, 2015, 06:31:38 AM »
Hmm, maybe deleting that soldier DID have something to do with it. I'll have to test that later on this evening when I have some more time freed up. I was about to say that didn't happen to me when I deleted him, but then I remembered I swapped him out for a Namingway and didn't delete the NPC number for that town's list.

EDIT: I forgot  that I in fact had removed the soldier in my project, along with the dancer and her dress NPCs before adding a mach speed Namingway to the map. So I'm not exactly sure WHAT caused your issue.

If you change the Training Room to an Underground map, you might run into some problems with transferring. I had to use a couple of events to rig the Overworld Tower of Babil to transfer to the Lunar Palace's crystal room in order to not end up in the Baron Town glitch map. Granted, I was going from Overworld to the Moon, so you might not run into that issue.

Lookiing at the Overworld NPCs to see if they could be useful to you, I found:

1: Mist/Damcyan/Fabul/Troia/Agart Old Man -Bank 2 Message 4 :

2: Fallen Soldier (Visible) - "Terrible Bombardments from the airships (pretty sure this event is used by maybe one NPC in Damcyan castle, in theory you could just use another NPC in it's place and use this one as a Soldier)

3:Training Room Soldier Outside:  I'm not sure if this NPC was used in town before the US FF4, so you might have yourself one soldier so far

4: Cave Eblana Soldiers: I  Notice they all use "Bank 2 Message *", and call messages 3, 4, 5, and 6 (counting the "Soldier - unused? NPC in between them). So that's four soldiers right there without having to edit them!

With that. you can probably set the training room NPCs mainly using 1 and 4, chandging the message number on one of the Eblana soldiers and redoing a bit a of text in Eblan cave so no one would ever know you did. Then it's up to you where to get that fifth soldier from (I'd go with number 2, since it's an NPC only seen once after Damcyan's bombed, and doesn't say anything important._

This helped quite a bit since some of the free NPCs just don't want to be visable. Still ironing them out, but now I'm confident I can get it all worked out.

Bahamut ZERO

• Cagnazzo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 17, 2015, 01:24:17 PM »
Awesome! Happy to help!

I think I might have run into what you were talking about when you were talking about NPCs in Baron Town disappearing on you lol. I was trying to use "NPC1" (the DK at the very beginning of the list)  as a dwarf replacement for the hooded monsters
during the Fabul fights, and when I went to save it would remove the "NPC1" NPC along with any NPC's following it.

So... yeah... "NPC1"- not very friendly haha.