Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 236550 times)

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
Re: Developing a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2012, 09:50:34 AM »
For location triggers/chests, has anyone worked out how the game knows which ones are valid chests? I haven't seen that anywhere. I wanted to turn a few unneeded teleport tiles into chests, but they don't work unless they were a chest originally. I figure there has to be more data somewhere. (Which makes the teleport/other event tiles that can be "opened" as chests even more confusing).

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
I can do a quick test, but it may actually deal with a Chest tile actually being there. In fact let me try that out and see what happens.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2012, 10:00:17 AM »
No, I've tested with chest tiles/other trigger tiles used for chests (like tall grass), and nothing. I thought maybe I was entirely incompetent with coordinates, so I just copied an existing teleport over a chest and chest over a teleport, so they were in the exact same places as they had been on the map, just in a different order in the ROM, and the chest didn't work.

(Sorry to go off topic in your thread, Pinkpuff. I can split these posts out if you want.)

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
For something on-topic, some of the equip displays in the editor seem to be off. Index 0 shows it equipped by no one, for example (it's what the Cursed ring uses, so it should be everyone). Statuses are similar, the Heal potion is shown not healing a lot of statuses it does (and healing ones it doesn't).

Edit: You can't turn off zombie race resistance in the armor editor, either.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:18:43 AM by Dragonsbrethren »

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2012, 10:19:32 AM »
For something on-topic, some of the equip displays in the editor seem to be off. Index 0 shows it equipped by no one, for example (it's what the Cursed ring uses, so it should be everyone). Statuses are similar, the Heal potion is shown not healing a lot of statuses it does (and healing ones it doesn't).

Edit: You can turn off zombie race resistance in the armor editor, either.

Yep, just tested it. No dice. Hmm, does that mean we're missing something else as well? Is there another offset which corresponds to where treasure is supposed to go then? Statuses in the editor are a bit different. For instance when it's healing a status it looks at the status bits *not* executed. So Heal cures all things Except, KO, Berserk, Stun, Charm, etc.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2012, 10:21:41 AM »
For something on-topic, some of the equip displays in the editor seem to be off. Index 0 shows it equipped by no one, for example (it's what the Cursed ring uses, so it should be everyone).

It seems to me that Index 0 is the only one that's messed up. Are there any others you noticed?

Statuses are similar, the Heal potion is shown not healing a lot of statuses it does (and healing ones it doesn't).

Statuses on healing items are inverted. This is because that's how it's stored in the ROM. So an item that only heals Mute will have all status flags on except Mute.

Edit: You can turn off zombie race resistance in the armor editor, either.

Hmm not just zombie either... I'll have to investigate this one...

Thanks for pointing those out!
Let's dance!

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »
Statuses on healing items are inverted. This is because that's how it's stored in the ROM. So an item that only heals Mute will have all status flags on except Mute.
You could change the wording to something like:
"Recovers all status except..."

Probably the easiest way to do it, though for thoroughness you could invert all of the bits on saving instead I suppose. :omg:

119 bugs fixed and counting.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »
Race bug fixed and uploaded.
Let's dance!

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »
It seems to me that Index 0 is the only one that's messed up. Are there any others you noticed?
Only had a quick glance at them, but no, I think the others are fine.

I never really had any need or desire to edit these, so I was actually completely unaware of that fact. It would be less confusing if you inverted the highlighting in the editor for these. Helps from a usability standpoint.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2012, 10:36:58 AM »
I think Dragonsbrethren had the right idea when he said to just add "Remove all Status Effects except..." description. It's a lot less work than to have a special case for something people could easily see if they looked.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »
Agreed. I changed the entry in my default config file. Next time I upload it will be fixed.
Let's dance!

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2012, 09:32:08 PM »
For location triggers/chests, has anyone worked out how the game knows which ones are valid chests? I haven't seen that anywhere. I wanted to turn a few unneeded teleport tiles into chests, but they don't work unless they were a chest originally. I figure there has to be more data somewhere. (Which makes the teleport/other event tiles that can be "opened" as chests even more confusing).
Phoenix posted some files a few years ago in this thread
http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=1286.0
The "location triggers" file in the bundle seems to address making active treasure chests, but I haven't tested it personally (I'm currently trying to figure out the NPC data file in the same bundle... with limited success).

EDIT: Just tested it. It does work.  you have to edit the map layout, plus change the location of the trigger in order for it to work.  That is, if you change the location of the trigger (treasure) to a location where there is no object that might contain treasure, the treasure won't be there, but as soon as you put a chest (or pot, etc) there, you can collect the treasure.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:17:20 PM by chillyfeez »

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »
The NPC Data file is quite important (I thought I had decoded that a fair amount... somewhere?) to understanding what objects are being removed by the "Activate Object" and "Deactivate Object" flags. Not to mention that a lot of NPC's respond differently in regards to what Event Flags are currently set. I know there's an almost proper way to view that document, but I can't recall how off the top of my head.

Is that a separate Treasure Chest Index? What bytes are they comprised of? Earlier today I tried to switch a treasure chest location to no avail, but I forgot about this information.

chillyfeez

• FF4 Hacker
  • Go ahead, ask me about Angel Feathers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2012, 08:41:54 AM »
Yeah, Grimoire, the whole thread was pretty much you and Phoenix, but it was several years ago. 
I can't make heads or tails of what to do with the NPC placement document, but the event triggers (which includes exits and treasure chests) is actually very easy to use.  The trigger data is located in A8500 to A981F.  Each trigger is comprised of five bytes: x-position, y-position, type of trigger (exit, treasure, event), trigger details (x/y, treasure contents, event pointer). Phoenix even breaks them down by which map they're (originally) located in.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2012, 09:08:19 AM »
Hmm... might you be referring to... http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=1734.0

The document for download at the bottom there? Or is there another exact similar location trigger document that I'm missing?

:edit: I think that came out wrong, I meant to say if the data in another document uses the same formt of X/Y/Event Designator/Treasure Or Event Number/Treasure 2?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:29:15 AM by Grimoire LD »