Author Topic: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4  (Read 236554 times)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Developing FF4kster: a comprehensive editor for FF4
« Reply #1005 on: January 14, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »
Always glad to help when it comes to ASM. I like to think I can work and read my way around it very well by this point. Though don't look to me for any kind of graphic data, heh.

If there's anything else you need, I'll try what I can to figure it out.

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 15, 2015, 02:47:03 PM »
Ah right, PinkPuff I was looking through the ROM to see where the event that is called when you go to the Underworld and I saw in ROM how much free space is there it looks as if Event Triggers end at 97650 (Unheadered). Just in case there wasn't an overflow check for that yet.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
  • Find a Megalixir in Unprecedented Crisis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 15, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »
Hm, it appears there is not! Odd, I actually thought that was one of the ones I did catch. Anyway thanks for the heads up, it's been added to the to-do list!

:edit: Wait, are we talking about the same thing? The addresses FF4kster begins writing to for triggers are A8200 for the pointers and A8500 for the data...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:55:06 PM by Pinkpuff »
Let's dance!

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: February 01, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »
Updated again! This time:
  • You can now type a "non-breaking space" with the # key. This allows you to put spaces in the middle of item names for example without causing the game to think it has reached the end of the item name.
  • "Special sizes" can now be edited. If you set a monster's size to something in the range of special sizes, it will bring up a menu allowing you to edit the details of that size.
  • When editing monster palettes, you now get a visual preview of the colors in the palette so that you don't have to keep loading up the game and testing it to see what it looks like.
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: February 01, 2015, 06:11:20 PM »
Very nice updates! It helps to make custom bosses, that's for certain! I also really like the Palette chooser option as the next logical step from there is a Palette editor, possibly in all matters from Spells, to Monsters, to Weapons.

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: February 02, 2015, 05:06:26 AM »
You read my mind ^_^

Also I forgot to mention, this update also contained avalanche's corrections to the visual effects config file.
Let's dance!

Spooniest

• Antlion
  • Coffee Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: February 19, 2015, 02:29:56 PM »
In which bank is Cecil's line "That's enough!", from the intro?

I can't seem to find it. The message number would be most helpful, but I also need to know if it's bank 1 or 3.
DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: February 19, 2015, 03:25:29 PM »
In which bank is Cecil's line "That's enough!", from the intro?

I can't seem to find it. The message number would be most helpful, but I also need to know if it's bank 1 or 3.

Message is 407 in Bank 1. (If you mean the "Stop it!" "Enough!" line.)

Spooniest

• Antlion
  • Coffee Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 19, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »
Thanks Grim
DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?

Rodimus Primal

• Siren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 11, 2015, 06:34:54 PM »
I was reading earlier in the topic about the Baron Dancer. I'd like to do restore it back to the original Japanese. Did anyone happen to figure out how?

Edit- Nevermind! Thanks to FF4kster and Grimoire LD I got it!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:33:12 PM by Rodimus Primal »

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 21, 2015, 12:59:36 PM »
Alright, folks! FF4kster updated once again! This time the event editor has been modified to detect and include the new "IF" instruction. As well, it's been cleaned up in general, including correct previews for underground NPCs and Formations, as well as expanding menus when editing them. The "Preview Map" has also been moved to the top and no longer disappears when you start editing the event.
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 21, 2015, 09:13:58 PM »
Alright, folks! FF4kster updated once again! This time the event editor has been modified to detect and include the new "IF" instruction. As well, it's been cleaned up in general, including correct previews for underground NPCs and Formations, as well as expanding menus when editing them. The "Preview Map" has also been moved to the top and no longer disappears when you start editing the event.

It is great to see that has finally been fixed! I started to lose track of "what-is-what" for the Underground events because of the Overworld labels on the NPC's.

I'll download this and give my full thoughts... (incidentally you must have posted this just before I headed off to work.)

Oh man! This new setup for events is wonderful! Having a drop down menu where you can See beyond the initial choice is Glorious!

Being able to see what is in each available formation of enemies before choosing is wonderful, all in all this has been the best update in a very long time due to the ease in event editing that you've implemented.

There are still a few issues however...

1. Subtract x100 Gil is still labeled as "Gain x50 Gil"
2. Moon Bosses are still not using their correct scripts, but that's been around for a long time.
3. While you can choose NPC's (and battle formations) above 255, the editor's readout will still display the Overworld equivalent (choosing NPC 511 will show "Fallen Soldier"...
Oh! I see what you did there, you index based it with the Underworld Maps! That is an elegant solution!

Looks like you also made the Command Editor even more in-depth with Chillyfeez's recent findings and a new "Or" for the Statuses to go beyond the 3 Status Limit of unusable.

Keep up the fantastic work PinkPuff!

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 22, 2015, 04:41:07 AM »
It is great to see that has finally been fixed! I started to lose track of "what-is-what" for the Underground events because of the Overworld labels on the NPC's.

I'll download this and give my full thoughts... (incidentally you must have posted this just before I headed off to work.)

Oh man! This new setup for events is wonderful! Having a drop down menu where you can See beyond the initial choice is Glorious!

Being able to see what is in each available formation of enemies before choosing is wonderful, all in all this has been the best update in a very long time due to the ease in event editing that you've implemented.

A lot of these improvements come from my own experience of now actually using the editor for a large scale hack rather than just poking around with basic functionality testing.  :wink:

There are still a few issues however...

1. Subtract x100 Gil is still labeled as "Gain x50 Gil"

This will be fixed in the next update.

2. Moon Bosses are still not using their correct scripts, but that's been around for a long time.

It has, and it will probably get fixed once I get to the moon portion of my hack ^_^

3. While you can choose NPC's (and battle formations) above 255, the editor's readout will still display the Overworld equivalent (choosing NPC 511 will show "Fallen Soldier"...
Oh! I see what you did there, you index based it with the Underworld Maps! That is an elegant solution!

It even knows if you've changed maps within an event!  :childish:

Looks like you also made the Command Editor even more in-depth with Chillyfeez's recent findings and a new "Or" for the Statuses to go beyond the 3 Status Limit of unusable.

Actually the "Disable if:" looks at permanent statuses (blind, mute, pig, etc) while the "Or:" looks at temporary statuses (calcify, stun, float, etc). I was not aware there was a 3 status limit. Currently the editor lets you put all 16 on if you like. Mind you I haven't tried seeing what behaviour that results in when applied to an actual rom but it seemed possible at the time so I did it ^_^

Keep up the fantastic work PinkPuff!

Thanks so much! And thanks for making that if patch (and going through the excruciating trouble of trying to explain how it works  :blush:) Is there any functionality to the other part of that patch (the "continue if party dead" part) that needs reflecting in the editor?
Let's dance!

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 22, 2015, 07:12:12 AM »
A lot of these improvements come from my own experience of now actually using the editor for a large scale hack rather than just poking around with basic functionality testing.  :wink:

That is always a good way to choose how to program. Ah yes, another suggestion I may make. A drop down menu in the Triggers for the items would greatly simplify setting treasure. I do like that you have the Chest Battle formations now show up as their formations (and through this it becomes clear how many treasure encounter spots they didn't use)

This will be fixed in the next update.

It has, and it will probably get fixed once I get to the moon portion of my hack ^_^

It even knows if you've changed maps within an event!  :childish:[/quote]

Excellent, glad to see that those are being looked at and the map changing showing the further NPC's is a nice little bit of functionality.

Actually the "Disable if:" looks at permanent statuses (blind, mute, pig, etc) while the "Or:" looks at temporary statuses (calcify, stun, float, etc). I was not aware there was a 3 status limit. Currently the editor lets you put all 16 on if you like. Mind you I haven't tried seeing what behaviour that results in when applied to an actual rom but it seemed possible at the time so I did it ^_^

That... would make sense. I assumed that it was just three statuses per part since that's all the game uses, on second thought I have no idea why I would think that though.
I did not even consider the temporary statuses being able to prevent Commands, having forgotten all about Kick being disabled if Floating.

Thanks so much! And thanks for making that if patch (and going through the excruciating trouble of trying to explain how it works  :blush:) Is there any functionality to the other part of that patch (the "continue if party dead" part) that needs reflecting in the editor?

Ah, don't feel bad. As I said, in the end even I was starting to become confused by the very routine I had made, haha!

As for other functionality... Not that I can think of, maybe If they choose "00"(Which in the editor would be  for the flag number of "Opening Complete" (since it's not actually used for that section of the routine) maybe change the name of the Instruction to reflect "If Party is Dead/Petrified jump to next Event". That's all I can think of.

Well today, (mainly after work) I will try to look into the "Change Character Graphic" to give it more universal use (rather than that Awful, awful system of "If character isn't in the party, than freak out."

Pinkpuff

• Flan Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 22, 2015, 07:36:50 AM »
As for other functionality... Not that I can think of, maybe If they choose "00"(Which in the editor would be  for the flag number of "Opening Complete" (since it's not actually used for that section of the routine) maybe change the name of the Instruction to reflect "If Party is Dead/Petrified jump to next Event". That's all I can think of.

Ah ok so it's the same "Crash Game / Load Graphic / If" instruction, but if the XX = 00 and the party is dead, it skips to the next event? In which case, what would have been the pseudo YY parameter becomes a real instruction? And does it do this on XX = 80 as well?

Well today, (mainly after work) I will try to look into the "Change Character Graphic" to give it more universal use (rather than that Awful, awful system of "If character isn't in the party, than freak out."

Awesome, I look forward to it!
Let's dance!