Author Topic: Switching Map Sprite Palettes  (Read 3177 times)

fedorajoe

• Mom Bomb
  • "G...Golbez!"
    • View Profile
Switching Map Sprite Palettes
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
Hi all.  I'm new to this.  All I've really done so far is edit sprites and palettes and move some things around, but I'm trying to grow my comprehension so that I can do more advanced edits.

I have a question about palettes for map sprites.  For example:  Edge's map sprite shares a palette with Dark Knight Cecil, Kain, Cid, Yang, and FuSoYa.  Let's say I want to change that so that Edge instead shares a palette with the overworld map's black chocobo.  Can this be done?  What bit needs to be changed?

I apologize if this was answered elsewhere.  I found a wealth of information already by reading this board, but I didn't see this issue addressed anywhere.

Thanks!

JCE3000GT

• Master of FF4
  • Vladof
    • View Profile
    • BlitzKrieg Innovations
Re: Switching Map Sprite Palettes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
Hi all.  I'm new to this.  All I've really done so far is edit sprites and palettes and move some things around, but I'm trying to grow my comprehension so that I can do more advanced edits.

I have a question about palettes for map sprites.  For example:  Edge's map sprite shares a palette with Dark Knight Cecil, Kain, Cid, Yang, and FuSoYa.  Let's say I want to change that so that Edge instead shares a palette with the overworld map's black chocobo.  Can this be done?  What bit needs to be changed?

I apologize if this was answered elsewhere.  I found a wealth of information already by reading this board, but I didn't see this issue addressed anywhere.

Thanks!

This is something I've always wanted to do but never bothered to look into it.  I've always assumed you would have to do some ASM hacking to allow the game to look for more palette ID's.  I'm pretty sure this is the right board for this as I'm guessing at least 2 people here have a good idea where to look.  So I'll wait with you on this response. 

Zozma

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 08:16:02 PM »
I took a different approach to this since i do not know how to ASM....

for example, i added baigan and anna as playable characters
also made golbez one
in addition made sheila playable

so in order to get as much use of the palettes past 03, palette 04 being the one for yellow chocobos/airship/hypercraft also is linked to the town npc palette for the red/white/gold

and the npc town sprite for the blue/gold like golbez has is linked as well to the overworld black chocobo

I also did not need cecils paladin palette because he doesnt become one in my patch

anyway, i managed to make the red/gold npc palette work perfectly for sharing with the chocobo's and airships (its actually 2 identical palettes)
made cecil's palette match the npc purple and yellow (which goes with sheila)
then made the overworld black chocobo palette match the blue/gold palette, and the in-chocobo forest palette

the only bug i have is that when you enter a place such as a cave, or tower of zot etc your characters look normal, but when you save, and then restart, their palette is just solid black
(ive only tested this with the red/gold palette, it may apply to the blue/gold palette as well but thats not yet tested) I think there are npc palette assignments for various caves and such that affect this but i do not know how to change that... its something youd never notice if you play without stopping and coming back later.
eh, what do I care...

fedorajoe

• Mom Bomb
  • "G...Golbez!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:32:11 PM »
Zozma, your posts about your hack are what inspired me to try my hand at this.

I have no previous experience with using a hex editor, but I've found it quite easy to grasp with the help provided by some of the threads on this board.  Thanks to all posters!

At this stage, the palette issue is the only thing holding me back from making the hack I want to make.  I hope somebody can help with this.  Expanding the available palettes for playable characters is surely something that all particpants here would find useful.

Zozma

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:30:58 PM »
well i made all the palettes more compatable by switching around some of the colors using snespal.

my sprites have things swapped around to make more compatability as well. I may post my map sprites
as they end up working pretty well and actually look better than the originals. (IMO anyway)

the chocobo, hypercraft, airship, baigan, anna and any other npcs are all compatable with the red/gold/white
npc palette now

all you have to do is use some program like tileed to put the modded sprites in of course.
eh, what do I care...

fedorajoe

• Mom Bomb
  • "G...Golbez!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »
Well, the problem is that I want to change one sprite in the Cecil - Kain - Yang - Cid - Edge - FuSoYa group without the change affecting the other sprites in the set.  A palette edit can't do that since most of the sprites in the set use all of the colors in the palette.

Zozma

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:57:05 PM »
you CAN separate one of those sprites assigned palette to use one of the other palettes, thus separating it from the group. do you mean like that?

besides that, what colors did you want to use?
eh, what do I care...

fedorajoe

• Mom Bomb
  • "G...Golbez!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »
Zozma:  yes, that is exactly what I want to do.  It's a two-stage process.

1.) Break off the Edge sprite from the rest of the group.

2.) Assign to that sprite one of the vehicle color palettes not normally used by any playable characters.

If you can tell me how to do even one of the two, that would be sweet.  I have some ideas but I haven't explored it yet as I've been too, well, really fascinated actually tinkering with other things in the rom.  This is quite fun once you get the concept.

Edited to add:  I'll just tell you, the main point of my hack is that I replaced Edge with Golbez.  Edge becomes an NPC, but he's still important.  He avenges his parents, he helps to work on the airships underground, he participates in the battle against the giant, and he takes Golbez's spot alongside FuSoYa in the finale.  But when Golbez joins your party after the sequence with the giant, I want his overworld sprite to display properly in all environments, and I want the palette to be EXACTLY right.  So while I was able to switch the sprites easily, I haven't found a way to change just this one sprite's palette without screwing up Dark Knight Cecil, Kain, Yang, Cid, and FoSoYa along with it.

EDITED TO ADD #2:  Never mind!  I was playing with this tonight and I figured it out.  For those who aren't familiar, here's how to do it.

Location ABF4A is the place for Dark Knight Cecil's palette and the value is 00.  The other actors proceed in the usual order.

00 Dark Knight Cecil
00 Kain
01 Younger Rydia
02 Tellah
02 Edward
02 Rosa
00 Yang
01 Palom
01 Porom
03 Paladin Cecil
00 Cid
01 Older Rydia
00 Edge
00 FuSoYa

The next few palettes are:

04 Yellow Chocobo, Hovercraft, Airship Enterprise
05 Black Chocobo
06 Airship Falcon
07 Big Whale

I would imagine the actors after FuSoYa are the vehicles and maybe Golbez and Anna, and that the townspeople palettes are 08, 09, and 10.  Haven't experimented with that yet, though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:11:12 PM by fedorajoe »

Zozma

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 01:11:08 AM »
04 Yellow Chocobo, Hovercraft, Airship Enterprise
05 Black Chocobo
06 Airship Falcon
07 Big Whale

let me update this for you

04 Yellow Chocobo, Hovercraft, Airship Enterprise (Also linked to the red/gold palettes such as baigan/ anna and town npcs)
05 Black Chocobo (also linked to the blue/gold palette used by various npcs and golbez etc)
06 Airship Falcon (also linked to the purple/gold palette used by various npcs)
07 Big Whale

what i mean by this for example is:
palette 04 overworld you see the yellow chocob/ hovercraft/airship palette, in town you see the red gold palette

therefore if you make both of those palettes identical then boom you have another usable palette. there is one bug tho that i have noticed and that is, say you enter a cave, such as magnet cave for example, which has a savepoint. you save and then reload your game, your characters palette will be solid black untill you enter a map that uses the proper npc palette again

eh, what do I care...

fedorajoe

• Mom Bomb
  • "G...Golbez!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 07:03:59 PM »
Hmmm.  I took my Golbez all over the place to see if any errors ocurred.  The only problem I found was with the Chocobo Forests.  Apparently that area is already maxed out on how many palettes can be loaded there, or something, because Golbez is all white except for his outline.  (Note that I have not changed the location palette for the Black Chocobo, only the overworld palette.)  Other than that, he is 100% glitch free on all overworlds and all locations.  I did try saving and loading and, at least in the locations where I tested it, I didn't see any problems.  But, I did not save and load in all locations.

Zozma

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »
oh thats right, the chocobo forest has the "white chocobo" palette in place of one of the others....

so in this instance there are 3 different palettes that you must make match

(this is all about working around things i do not know how to do by changing the palettes themselves)

if i now recall, the white chocobo was a wrench in one of my plans, but i dont care, i wouldnt mind just calling the stupid thing "blue chocobo" or whatever it becomes by the change
eh, what do I care...

Spindaboy

• Guard Leader
  • I need more sleep.
    • View Profile
    • SyndROMe Hacking
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »
Location ABF4A is the place for Dark Knight Cecil's palette and the value is 00.  The other actors proceed in the usual order.

Note: For anyone else in the future who may be confused I believe this is a typo as the correct address is AB4FA.

thepatirckinator

• Magissa & Forza
  • God bless you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »
That's the address Fedorajoe was talking about when he was making his Playable Golbez Hack of Final Fantasy IV. You can work on the rest of the sprites for Golbez. They are his Dream Golbez sprites from the Mobile Phone/Wii Version converted back into the SNES version staying true to the 1991 original game. In other words, all his battle sprites will be the SNES Version of Dream Golbez from The After Years. Golbez's DarkWave sprite was made from scratch converted from Edge's throw sprite. You can check my posts, maybe it can help you fix the rest of Golbez's Battle sprites. I'm talking about the Playable Golbez Final Fantasy IV Patch by fedorajoe.