Author Topic: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again  (Read 26746 times)

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:06:58 PM »
It's been a while since we've had any public discussion about this one, but now is not the time for talk. It's time for action. That's right, THE FF6 Hack gets a public demo, and one that is long overdue. What does this mean?

• We're still working on it yet, and we still have a long way to go before it's finished.
  • You guys get to rip us once again for what we do and do not have available for play.

Some of the changes you may (or may not) find during this demo:
  • A new dungeon!
  • 118 bugs fixed, all from the original FF6 game. A special thanks to the many patch authors who released the fixes they did.
  • Far too many core changes to improve the game. Having said that, make sure you take a peek in the configuration screen.
  • Restoration of lost and removed content, which is mostly contained in dialogue.
  • Item changes-- some old, some new, some gone, so look around!
  • Several event tweaks, a couple overhauls, and lots of additions. Yes, you will get to experience the Auction House, the Magitek Research Facility, and one banquet in particular.

Going into further detail would be long, boring, and tl;dr. In the end, after four years of work to this date, we think many will be pleased. However, since this is the internet, and for some it's real life, we know that not everyone will be happy with some changes.

On behalf of the whole team, we thank everyone for their patience, their suggestions, and their feedback with this hack.

But enough talk, have at it! Make sure you read the readme, because nobody can help you if you don't.

119 bugs fixed and counting.

Leviathan Mist

• Schizophrenic Madman
  • Game over.
    • View Profile
    • Retro Gaming Central
Re: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:56:49 PM »
Well, I try to patch it with xdelta and I get the error "bad magic number: not a valid delta"

EDIT: I got it to patch with the second xdelta program listed in the readme, but the first xdelta program didn't patch.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:02:32 AM by Leviathan Mist »

angelo26

• Guard Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:51:48 AM »
I just started playing it, its great so far. Beautiful job.

Just noticed something in the menu; the icons overlap the newly increased character names:

And in the menu, the status icon "erases" one of the character letters...

Is this intentional? just wondering...

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:50:38 AM »
That's a side effect of longer character names and longer class names. It's entirely cosmetic, and something we'll address way way down the line.

Odbarc

• Hell's Rider
  • FF6 obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Newage3.com, a text based web game RPG I Admin.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »
Question 1: Does it matter which rom we have to patch? I'm pretty sure I use the 1.0
Question 2: Is there anything specific you want us to look out for?
Question 3: Is there any out of the blue brand new item secret locations in the middle of nowhere we'd never find without already knowing about it that we could easily miss? Cause I would hate that.
Question 4: How long into the story does the demo last? (I don't want to bust my ass on a 'you have to lose here regardless' boss thinking I'm supposed to win some how.)

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 02:17:21 PM »
Question 1: Does it matter which rom we have to patch? I'm pretty sure I use the 1.0
If you bothered to read the readme, you would know that answer.

Question 2: Is there anything specific you want us to look out for?
Not particularly. Just have fun.

Question 3: Is there any out of the blue brand new item secret locations in the middle of nowhere we'd never find without already knowing about it that we could easily miss? Cause I would hate that.
Of course there are! :cycle: Nothing's crazy hidden, but you will miss them if you aren't careful.

Question 4: How long into the story does the demo last? (I don't want to bust my ass on a 'you have to lose here regardless' boss thinking I'm supposed to win some how.)
Trust me, when it ends, you'll know.

Aerdan

• Ymir
  • Winter Knight
    • View Profile
    • Unforeseen Consequences
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
Keep in mind, this is after I spent about five days playtesting it. I won't share my notes, though?that would be too embarrassing. :P

:edit:
You'll want to have as many healing items as you can, seriously. I'm not even kidding.

Odbarc

• Hell's Rider
  • FF6 obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
Yeah, I didn't read the readme yet. I downloaded quickly just in case it's taken down and ran off to the gym.

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »
Ok guys, the patch has been updated. A crash bug was reported, and is now fixed.

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 08:32:25 AM »
And again, the patch has been updated. An error on my part, I caused an infinite loop.

Imzogelmo

• Ogopogo Aficianado
  • Ask me about my other job.
    • View Profile
    • NEPROMR
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
There won't be some "you have to lose this battle because that's the end" situation. Well, actually, there may be such a case, but that's not the end of the demo. The demo will just sort of close out and tell you that it's over.

And when you run across what I mean by the above, you'll know it too. Just don't enter any optional battles without saving first. :)
5/31/16 - I have an assembly of the battle portion of C2, relocated to the F0 bank, which has both vanilla and patch code in my dropbox. I'll be updating it with additional patches as I have time. I will *not* be releasing it publicly, but ask me for the link and I'll share.

Odbarc

• Hell's Rider
  • FF6 obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 02:00:35 PM »
Discovered the [Dusk] weapon. How nice and properly hidden. Good stuff.
The Sabin duel/Gilgamesh battle also wicked but I have a question about that; If you died and retained your levels and an early stat and could survive that Grand Trine and then kill Gilgamesh (presumably):: Does that mean you could keep the Gamma Sword?
(It also says somewhere bad things happen if you cheat. If you cheat, does something different happen?)

Leviathan Mist

• Schizophrenic Madman
  • Game over.
    • View Profile
    • Retro Gaming Central
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 07:03:31 PM »
The Sabin duel/Gilgamesh battle also wicked but I have a question about that; If you died and retained your levels and an early stat and could survive that Grand Trine and then kill Gilgamesh (presumably):: Does that mean you could keep the Gamma Sword?
(It also says somewhere bad things happen if you cheat. If you cheat, does something different happen?)

Pretty sure you don't retain your levels and experience when you die - after all, the description at the save point was changed to remove that tidbit.

Odbarc

• Hell's Rider
  • FF6 obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »

Pretty sure you don't retain your levels and experience when you die - after all, the description at the save point was changed to remove that tidbit.
Good to know. Chances are I'd use save-state load anyway. I hate losing progress!!!
What if you grind to very high levels off Leafers and such to the point you survive the ultimate attack? I'm mostly curious to see what would happen. I'm half suspect something might happen!

Leviathan Mist

• Schizophrenic Madman
  • Game over.
    • View Profile
    • Retro Gaming Central
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 11:46:18 PM »
Good to know. Chances are I'd use save-state load anyway. I hate losing progress!!!
What if you grind to very high levels off Leafers and such to the point you survive the ultimate attack? I'm mostly curious to see what would happen. I'm half suspect something might happen!

If you really want to do that, hacking your save file would be a much less time-consuming process - though I would only use it for the sole purpose of that one battle, and not to complete the game, as that would defeat the purpose of the hack