Author Topic: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again  (Read 28470 times)

Imzogelmo

• Ogopogo Aficianado
  • Ask me about my other job.
    • View Profile
    • NEPROMR
Re: Pandora's Box sees the light of day once again
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 06:29:14 PM »
In the demo, probably nothing special would happen... in the final release, though, well, I'm not sure, but we have discussed it. :)

Let's just say that a little grinding is fine, but too much may actually hurt you in some respects, at least in the final release.
5/31/16 - I have an assembly of the battle portion of C2, relocated to the F0 bank, which has both vanilla and patch code in my dropbox. I'll be updating it with additional patches as I have time. I will *not* be releasing it publicly, but ask me for the link and I'll share.

the_randomizer

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 12:34:26 PM »
How far can you progress in the hack?  Kinda hard to get to the banquet when the screen gets garbled.

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 12:55:38 PM »
That issue was reported earlier in the week, and subsequent patches were released to address the issues. Update your patch. :happy:

119 bugs fixed and counting.

the_randomizer

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 02:22:44 PM »
That issue was reported earlier in the week, and subsequent patches were released to address the issues. Update your patch. :happy:

By update you mean re-download the patch?

Deathlike2

• FF4 R&D Master
  • I'm looking at you, bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »

By update you mean re-download the patch?

Short answer is yes.
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack Download Latest: v1.48

Video Demos: #1 #2 #3

Cyrus Knight

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Hello starting to play through your hack and came across a Couple of issues I felt I should point out.

One is the Time Quest in Zozo. The text here gets broken and unable to put in any answers. Dunno if you fixed this or not.

Another Bug is that when Locke has the Plunder Ability and turned into an Imp he can only use items. Not sure if this is intentional or not but yeah...

Overall the game seems rather interesting, however a couple of things are starting to frustrate me not really "challenge" me if you get my meaning of the two.

One is the evasion rate of monsters seems to be overly high or the weapons hit rate seems far too low. This; over time, quickly escalates to annoying when 50% of your hits miss. While this is fine and dandy to try to avoid spamming Attack you have to keep in mind some characters ONLY rely on Attack. And to try and put the argument of eagle eye as a good reason to use said relic well unfortunately this brings me into my second issue....

Monsters seem to have attacks that can wipe out your party without foresight of relics and extreme time useage (sometimes not even this helps). One enemy group right now that's frustrating me to no end is the Magiteck Armors you fight in the Research Lab. I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about those yellow armors that seem to back attack more often than not (at least for me ha)

Anyway these monstrosities enjoy using Stasis (which puts every ally to sleep makes them invisible and i'm unsure what else I think slow and seizure i need to recheck) then these bastards have the audacity to berserk you or drop your HP down to Critical or my favorite a magimissile to the face.... Having said that that means we need peace rings and w/e else stops sleep. Which leaves us with the lesser two of invisible and slow....

While individually these skills aren't sooo soo terrible; combined together in a group of two enemies that seem to enjoy picking on you is infuriating and either I quickly kill them (which is impossible due to magic being a bit weaker and might i add slower to even learn...) and me not being the "running is a tactic" kinda guy it just pisses me off to deal with these guys by luck alone. Are you trying to encourage me to grind or something? (Again not a fan if this is what you're going for)

So even with proper relics equipped we run into the bigger problem of accuracy so I can't even hit my target... (sure maybe these guys don't have overly obscene evasion but that doesn't really help me against the other half of monsters I encounter in the area...)

Keep in mind my mindset in any game is that I should never have to grind. I should never absolutely need everything in a shop, and I should never have issues where I run into an enemy with no workaround solution (outside my first two gripes).

Is it ok for a character to die? Sure.
Is it ok for status effects for once to be employed by an enemy to run me down? Absolutely.
Is it ok for the enemy to have access to spells that multi-hit status effects on every character while on top of that shredding what little HP i have; as it is, to tissue, than maul me with an ability that can OHKO the weaker allies in your group anyway? No.... no please no, and keep in mind this isn't even a boss just a random encounter. I hate dealing with luck to get past a dungeon. *sighs and attempts again*

Ending my vent :P but I had to say something to someone out there. If you think you can give me some general RPG tips that might help me with this kinda grievance enlighten me. I'm curious as to what you might bring up.

:bah:

Deathlike2

• FF4 R&D Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 11:50:27 PM »
Another Bug is that when Locke has the Plunder Ability and turned into an Imp he can only use items. Not sure if this is intentional or not but yeah...

My guess that this has to do with Imp status disabling commands and assuming that you're not given the Fight command, that would make sense.

Imzogelmo

• Ogopogo Aficianado
  • Ask me about my other job.
    • View Profile
    • NEPROMR
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 12:01:46 AM »
Hello and welcome Cyrus Knight!

First of all, I want to say that we appreciate the feedback. While we do intend certain areas to have a feel of being "hard" or "easy" relative to the overall likely experience level, we don't intend it to be such a stark jump that it boils down to relying on luck (note that super bosses may rely on luck, however).  We are discussing ways of making accuracy a bit better without it getting to the point of all hits are guaranteed (like in the original). And as for the specific monsters in the Magitek Research Facility, we'll take a look to see if they are too much in terms of stats or AI.

Secondly, thanks for pointing out some of our bugs. I'm sure there are several more, but reports like this help us to hone in on them better.

Finally, about grinding: we're trying to encourage maybe a little grinding (well, actually, just play through and don't run, and you'll hit the target we want you to). We have procedures in place to punish you for too much grind as well as too little, so it's sort of a "keep it between the lines" situation. It sounds like you're playing through in a way that will keep it on par for the rest of the demo, so this is probably a balance issue on our part.  Again, a sharp jump in difficulty to the point of luck is not what we're going for, so we may need to nerf those enemies a bit or beef up your options. One issue we anticipate is having trouble with certain parties due to the imbalance among the characters, and that could be playing a role, but it should not be a prohibitively high challenge. I think some AI adjustments could fix that, though.
5/31/16 - I have an assembly of the battle portion of C2, relocated to the F0 bank, which has both vanilla and patch code in my dropbox. I'll be updating it with additional patches as I have time. I will *not* be releasing it publicly, but ask me for the link and I'll share.

Cyrus Knight

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 02:05:57 AM »
Thanks for replying and hellos all around!

Sorry I came off as a bit eccentric in the end there haha I finally did get through the area but yeah it took save state loading (something I consider cheating personally :( ) but I'm glad you're working on balancing it and it wasn't 100% intentional to be that luck based. I agree that in the end of the game having bosses in particular have some crazy stuff going on like these guys would be fine. By that point in the game you have way more options at your disposal too. I chose a party that I'd consider fairly common which was Locke and Celes (no brainer lol) and Cyan (I like Bushido now that it's not ages slow) and Sabin (He seems weaker now but more interesting in general). The hit and miss issue is still there making all of his blitz abilities far less useful and he seems to learn his skills way slower to which I hope that means his later skills got way better or even brand new! (Dare I dream!?)

I'll keep you guys posted on difficulty/luck based quirks I might find but more than likely unless a specific group of monsters comes in and blasts my party to 0 like these two guys the only thing I can say is the accuracy is gonna continue to mess with me heh. On another note I am glad you took into consideration the armor of the enemies in the magiteck research lab. I had a horrible feeling you'd forget that most characters don't do magic damage at all (again poor locke) but very glad you adjusted em down to a more bearable level.

In regards to the grinding thing that's awesome that's actually how I personally play. I never run from a fight and that's pretty much how I make enough money without becoming OMG WHY ARE YOU LEVEL 30 ALREADY!!! Yeah... The magiteck research lab should be right around 15~20 in the original game if I recall correctly. My current team is around level 18 or so cause I grinded exploring the southern continent a bit to see if you changed any more scenery :P and test my party a bit more.

The last thing I should say is that money grinding is a bit of a chore as well. I'm kinda on the fence about it cause it makes picking and choosing equipment a bit more... specific I guess is the right word here lol. The only thing I'd say is increase gold earned by maybe an extra 20% all around (except from monsters like the Nut Eater that give a lot of gold anyway) to balance this issue a bit better but meh if you do that it might unbalance your other intentions such as specific equipment just being a decoy (Golden Armor comes to mind here... 20k are you nuts!? I bought this armor with a save and yeah I find the cost sooo not worth it heh)

:edit:
Oh before I forget. A couple other bugs I found was that the Spider's Silk can be equipped like a Relic. There might be other similar items that are like this too like the Vampire Fang I didn't think to look and it's late so I'll check it later. Happy hunting!

The Bird Fights in the mountain area that you recruit Sabin. Their ability to cast Stone Beak is a bit of a nuisance and I forgot to check if a Jewel Ring could be bought in South Figaro (if it can ignore this if it's not there then I'd consider slowing the birds down or this relic be obtainable in some way)

In the same area the double brawler type fight is also a bit of a nuisance in the sense that their evade is way too high and their damage is also obscene. It could be fine to keep those stats the same while dropping their HP down a bit (makes them look like shadow heh)

Speaking of Shadow I'd also consider letting him equip the Thief Glove unless you want to make Locke more unique in that respect.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:29:05 AM by Cyrus Knight »

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »
(Golden Armor comes to mind here... 20k are you nuts!? I bought this armor with a save and yeah I find the cost sooo not worth it heh)
I would've thought that the prices in Jidoor would've said clearly "don't buy anything here." :hmm:

Oh before I forget. A couple other bugs I found was that the Spider's Silk can be equipped like a Relic.
That's not a bug. :tongue:

119 bugs fixed and counting.

Deathlike2

• FF4 R&D Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »
Well.. I've never found anything outside of the Gold Shield that was worth buying from the Gold equipment set.

Cyrus Knight

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
That's kinda the impression I got with the whole golden set actually lol it felt like a decoy so I bought it after saving to be sure and I'm glad I did :) With that being said gold earned isn't really so terrible then. As for the Spiders Silk that's interesting it did no changes to stats and I wasn't sure what it did as a Relic ...

Odbarc

• Hell's Rider
  • FF6 obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Newage3.com, a text based web game RPG I Admin.
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »
Does it do anything as a relic? It's described as a battle-item use.

Cyrus Knight

• Wing Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 08:00:02 PM »
If I'm overstepping anything please let me know!

Equipping the Spider's Silk only seems to cause perma slow on the wearer. I haven't seen anything beyond that.

Deathlike2

• FF4 R&D Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 08:26:19 PM »
I assume you're supposed to use it as an item in battle (like the Rods and Shields). When it's applied as a relic, it works in the reverse of the whatever would be the Running/Hermes Shoes (giving you Haste/Slow immunity).