Author Topic: Temporary location and domain downtime  (Read 13963 times)

Hypher

• Forum Overlord
  • Administrating from the Shadows since 2008
    • View Profile
    • Hypher.net
Temporary location and domain downtime
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »
Good News! The main move of Slick Productions is complete. The forum has been upgraded to the latest version of SMF, and everything lives on our new awesome Slice Host server. Unfortunately, there are a few issues with the transition:
  • I waited a bit too long with the domain transfer, and as such, there may be a period of time (the next five days or so) where the domain slickproductions.org is down. Sorry :/ :isuck: In the meantime, the site will live at http://slick.gopherbork.net
  • I haven't setup DKK's site or MNRogar's site on the new server yet. That will happen soon.
  • The new version of SMF isn't compatible with our old themes, so everyone has been reset to the default (and rather obnoxious) pastel blue theme. As I'm not the one who created the themes, we'll have to wait till Leno or DKK can update them.
  • Some of the most recent additions to the site haven't been transferred yet, but I should get that fixed soon.

Thanks to everyone for enduring this rough patch in Slick Productions life. I'm doing my best to get everything working.
delete from user_memory where subject = 'Hypher';

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
Re: Temporary location and domain downtime
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 11:24:51 PM »
I'll be looking into the themes tomorrow. I really like the new layout this theme provides, so chances are I'll be redoing them entirely. Given how broken they were, it probably would've been needed anyway.

Odbarc

• Hell's Rider
  • FF6 obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Newage3.com, a text based web game RPG I Admin.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:02:58 AM »
I like the bright. My dark theme doesn't seem so good anymore.

Killa B

• Octomammoth
  • I am David Hasselhoff
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 09:30:31 AM »
This new theme is actually kind of awesome. :o

Jorgur

• FF5 R&D Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »
I want the old theme back :(

Bright background hurts my eyes.

assassin

• Bane of Retards
  • space bears are not gentle!
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »
will our avatars (namely, the uploaded ones) be restored eventually, or do the users need to do that themselves?

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 01:44:53 PM »
I'm looking into it. The attachments directory never got copied over from the old forum. I reuploaded all of the uploaded avatars myself, but they're still not showing up.

:edit:

There we go; the path never got corrected for the new server. The selectable avatars were having the same problem, and those need to be reuploaded too, but they'll be up soon as well. I never did finish redoing those awful SoTN avatars...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:56:39 PM by Dragonsbrethren »

I.S.T.

• i doesnt no how 2 blits
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 01:20:39 AM »
I want the old theme back :(

Bright background hurts my eyes.

Agreed.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 11:26:03 AM »
I still need to make some images for the new theme, and I'm not sure if I'll have the time to finish them today or not. This theme is a lot different from the old one, and would require me to make extensive changes to the templates to get the old themes working, which would make adding any new features a nightmare. That's the reason we ditched custom themes in the first place, and went with my Core edits instead.

If you guys get really desperate, I can allow public access to the WIP dark theme, but it's pretty awful looking with mostly the default images right now.

It's going to be a while longer, guys... :sad:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:20:54 PM by Dragonsbrethren »

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »
There are now four new colorful, Curve-based themes available that I got off the support site. I would set one of them to default, but I'm not exactly 100% thrilled with any of them (Curve Solution seems to be the most usable). I just didn't have the time (or rather, the patience, I have plenty of time) to learn what every element of this Curve theme is applied to, which identical-looking images are used where, and making all of the replacements for images that rely on the forum using a bright background.

Hopefully you guys find one you like. If any more themes come out that share Curve's templates, and look decent, I'll probably add them. If you don't know how to change the theme, it's Profile -> Modify Profile -> Look and Layout -> Current Theme. I've disabled the Classic and Babylon themes because, based on what Nightcrawler was told, they're not really supported at all anymore, and only there for completeness.

Ack, I just realized I left the forum in maintenance mode. Sorry about that, guys.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:49:56 PM by Dragonsbrethren »

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 01:43:16 AM »
There we go; the path never got corrected for the new server. The selectable avatars were having the same problem, and those need to be reuploaded too, but they'll be up soon as well. I never did finish redoing those awful SoTN avatars...

Behind the scenes change broke them. Fixed again...

assassin

• Bane of Retards
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 12:38:41 PM »
the post attachments are still missing.  for instance, those for this post:

http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?topic=1080.msg11692#msg11692

is copying over the attachments directory still a work-in-progress?  i want to know whether to look for other such "childless" posts, or if once one is remedied, they'll all be.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 01:24:46 PM »
If I copy the files over from the old forum, those should work just fine. The thing is, we were out of attachment space at the old forum, so I wasn't even going to bother. Attachments were added to be a temporary place to upload something when you didn't have anywhere else to store your stuff. No one ever bothered removing their attachments once they were done with them, though, with one or two exceptions. I had planned on going through and making a list of every attachment, so that the uploaders could go through them, and unneeded ones could be removed, but there's no easy way to do that. So, rather than just upload everything again and run into the same issue, I can upload specific files by request. It accomplishes the same thing, the only difference is that there will still be links to nonexistent attachments in the older posts. It's not the best solution, but it's better than being completely out of space, like we were before. I've uploaded those two files for you.

assassin

• Bane of Retards
    • View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 09:34:09 PM »
thanks.  what if months down the road, somebody runs into another post with an attachment not kept elsewhere?  will the old forum data still be around for you to restore it?

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 10:15:27 PM »
Yeah, there's a backup on the server, and I've got one of my own.