FF6 Improvement is a project to clean up FF3/6 and make it more like how I think S-E intended the game to be, both in gameplay and in story and dialogue. This project has two phases.
Phase 1 of FF6 Improvement incorporates most of the known bugfixes that have been made, as well as some gameplay tweaks that make aspects of the game more fun, or make more sense based on later ports of FF6, or later games in the FF series. This is a baseline patch which has two versions planned: 1 standalone patch for playing the game with all changes included, and 1 incomplete patch meant for those who want to make hacks which go beyond the changes made in this project.
Phase 2 is a dialogue change which borrows heavily from the FF6 Advance script, as well as the Lina Darkstar translation of the original Japanese script. This translation is 99% complete - the only part that has not been changed are the Opera singing sequences, due to the timing changes needed.
New features that have been implemented include: B-button dash, color coding for MP healing and damage, a change to the SwordTech gauge to allow choosing the technique and having it charge after chosen, a new font and more!
FF6 Improvement is based on the FF3us 1.0 ROM, and will only work on that version.
Below is a list of the over 100 fixes, their versions and authors. Note that patch versions are 1.0 unless specified below.
1-way Status Immunity fix 0.25 (assassin)
Anchors Aweigh! 1.1b (Lenophis)
AtmaWeapon Carves Stone (Imzogelmo)
Auto-Expiring Statuses Don't Reset Their Timers w/ Manual Removal fix 0.20 (assassin)
Auto-swordless Runic fix 0.15 (assassin)
Bad Decoration (Lenophis)
Brushless Sketch fix 0.16 (assassin)
Control Responds Poorly to MP Change fix 0.13 (assassin)
Controlled Attacks Ignore MP Cost fix 0.19 (assassin)
Deceptive Tapir fix 0.40 (assassin)
Disrespectful Zombie status fix 0.20 (assassin)
Duplicate Enemy Names fix 1.2 [func2C30] (assassin)
Enemy Command FC05 fix (MasterZED)
Esper Battle Menu fix (Lenophis)
Evade Bug fix (Terii Senshi)
For What Ails Ya fix 1.1 (Lenophis)
Homesick Gau fix 1.1 (Djibriel/assassin)
I Condemn Thee to Hell! 1.0b (Lenophis)
Ignore Charm fix (Drakkhen)
Invert Damage if Undead fix (MasterZED)
Jump & Launcher/Super Ball fix 0.20 (assassin)
Jump Megafix 0.15 [version A] (assassin)
Magic Damage Overflow fix 0.30 (assassin)
Magic Menu Sorting fix (Novalia Spirit)
Muddle/Mantra fix 0.15 (assassin)
Muddle/Palidor fix 0.15 (assassin)
Multi-Steal fix 1.01 (Imzogelmo)
Mute Steals Rage Statuses fix 0.21 (assassin)
Pincer + Row fix 0.15 (assassin)
Psycho Cyan fix 1.1 (Terii Senshi)
Recapture the Glory fix 0.225 (assassin)
Rippler Bug fix 1.1 (Terii Senshi)
Sketch Bug fix (assassin)
SrBehemoth Rips You Off! 1.1 (dragonsbrethren)
Stackable Immunities & Permanent Statuses fix 0.22 (assassin)
Step Mine's Missing Digit fix 0.22 (assassin)
The Sketching Mime fix 0.6 (vivify93)
There Can Be Only One! Runic fix 1.1b [multi-target2] (Lenophis)
Vanish/Doom fix (Terii Senshi)
Wild Cat Bug fix 0.25 (Djibriel/assassin)
GAME EVENT FIXES
Airship/Game Over Exploit fix (Novalia Spirit)
Border Crossing fix (Imzogelmo, Lenophis)
Can't Lose for Winning Colosseum fix 1.0b (Lenophis)
Chocobo Stable Money Deduction fix (Novalia Spirit)
The Cowardly Dog fix (Novalia Spirit)
Cure-Castin' Kid events fix 0.91 [MP CAN +/-] (Imzogelmo)
Flight of StormDrgn fix (Novalia Spirit)
Ghostly Banquet Guards fix (mblock129)
Gold Wrexsoul fix (mblock129)
Grand Stairway item/inventory event fixes (Imzogelmo)
Grass Tile Encounter Property fix (Novalia Spirit)
Ignore Kamog fix(Drakkhen)
Magitek in Cyan's Soul fix (Imzogelmo)
Mine Cart Encounter fix (Imzogelmo)
Missing Dialogue fix (Novalia Spirit)
Missing Light Object fix (Novalia Spirit)
Naming Shadow fix 1.1 (Novalia Spirit)
Peninsula of Death fix (Novalia Spirit)
Pink Gogo fix (Imzogelmo)
Shadow/Chupon Colosseum fix (Novalia Spirit)
South Figaro Secret Entrance fix (Novalia Spirit)
Tunnel to Lete River Sound Volume fix (Novalia Spirit)
Vanishing Magicite Object fix 1.1 (Novalia Spirit)
Amnesic Cursor fix (Novalia Spirit)
Broken Gate tile fix (Novalia Spirit)
Elemental Display 1.1 (Lenophis) - I consider this a fix more than a tweak, personally
FF6j Title Screen (Yazoo)
Frozen Mosaic fix [unrestricted] (Novalia Spirit)
Genji Glove Damage Reduction fix 1.01 (assassin)
GenjiOff! magic version 0.2a (Lenophis)
Gogo Can't Uncurse the Cursed Shield 0.9 (imzogelmo) - still not working
(Throw Down) the Gauntlet [complex] 0.20 (assassin)
Magic Sorting fix (Novalia Spirit)
Misplaced Cursor fix (Novalia Spirit)
Narshe's Secret Entrance tile fix (Novalia Spirit)
Regulation Dice sprite fix (mblock129)
Shop Menu fix 1.1 (Novalia Spirit)
That Damn Yellow Streak fix 0.25 (assassin)
Transportation Device tile fix (Novalia Spirit)
Uncensored Graphics (Terii Senshi)
Zoneseek? No Thanks/Free Space for Events (mblock129)
Adding Missing Rages patch (Terii Senshi) - includes Zed's Allo Ver fix?
Alphabetical Rage patch 0.45 (assassin) - holy CRAP this makes Gau so much easier to use!
Battle Speed Mod & Speed Overflow Fix - faster v2 (Leviathan Mist)
Color-Coded MP Digits (Imzogelmo)
Dash Button hack [DashA] (MasterZED)
Economizer & Gold Hairpin patch 1.0b (Lenophis)
Ignore Defense No Longer Ignoring Safe or Shell 1.D (Lenophis)
Name Lowercasing patch (Imzogelmo)
Offering patch 1.1 (Lenophis)
Slot Derigging patch (MasterZED)
SwdTech Speed Up! patch (ArmorVil) - makes Cyan's tech a lot better
To Joker Doom or Not to Joker Doom (Lenophis)
Unhardcoded Tintinabar [party] (Lenophis)
These are patches which were meant to be included in all versions of the patch but are left out of the base version for hackers, as FF3usME v6.7 overwrites the locations where these patches reside. Apply them after all your changes have been made:
Duncan Stays Put (mblock129)
Edgar Revealed (mblock129)
Shadow is NOT a Girl! fix (mblock129)
Shadow Leaves One-man Party fix 0.40 (Imzogelmo)
King of Vanity (mblock129)
They Only Jump Left in Zozo! (mblock129)
Here are some additional tweaks I've added on my own and with thanks to the minds behind the ideas:
- Changed fixed and variable-width fonts to resemble GBA-style FF fonts (thanks, Pandora's Box team!)
- Massive changes to item names and descriptions
- Massive changes to spell and Esper names and descriptions
- Removed elemental bias - Fire, Ice and Bolt spells and effects now have the same power and MP cost if applicable (thanks, Tzepish!)
- Changed "Gp" in menu to "GP"
- Changed "Dirk" weapon type to "Dagger"
- Changed "Knife" weapon type to "Katana"
- Renamed the "Fight" command to "Attack"
- Renamed the "Capture" skill to "Mug"
- Renamed the "SwdTech" skill to "Bushido"
- Renamed the "Slot" skill to "Slots", and the "GP Rain" upgrade to "GP Toss"
- Swapped the Doom Darts and Trump (now Trump Cards) listings - so the name goes with the weapon sprite now
- Fixed Setzer's starting gear so that he's not wearing something (Bandana?) he can't equip
- Changed Sprint Shoes to Prism Cape, which lowers basic elemental damage (Fire, Ice, Thunder, Wind, Water and Earth)by 50%, and changed the game shops accordingly (thanks, Tzepish!)
- Removed the 2-Hand and Runic properties from Daggers and Runic from non-sword weapons (thanks, Tzepish!)
- Changed Ramuh's learning curves as follows: Bolt x10, Bolt 2 x5 and Poison x3 (thanks, Tzepish!)
- Changed Ifrit's learning curve for Drain to x3
- Added Meteo x2 to Raiden's learning curve, changed level bonus to Speed +2 and lowered summon cost to 70 MP - no more losing by upgrading Odin! (thanks, Tzepish and vivify93!)
- Added the "HP x2" level bonus to Alexandr since no one else was using it anyway
- Changed WoR music so that "Dark World" continues to play on the ground after you get the Falcon (thanks, Poco Loco!)
- Repaired the Star Wars wingmen reference - Biggs and Wedge, not Vicks and Wedge!
- Manually fixed the Celes Rushing It bug (thanks, Djibriel/ZED/etc!)
- Changes to enemy names where appropriate (thanks, assassin!)
- Changed the names for Umaro's enemy listings to "Yeti" - we don't know his name at the start of the battle (thanks, Tzepish!)
- Changed mentions of "sasquatch" to "yeti" in the dialogue (thanks, Tzepish!)
- Manually fixed the 2 single-enemy formations which can pincer attack (thanks, assassin and Novalia Spirit!)
- Changed Vargas's Mortal Attack from "Blizzard Fist" to "Typhoon Fist" - they get blown away, not frozen!
- Clarified the Ziegfried/Siegfried enemy listings and dialogue
- Fixed the dialogue where items are explicitly stated to reflect new item names
- Changed the Cafe signs back to Pub, and updated all relevant dialogue
- Changed key item Cider to Rum and updated all relevant dialogue
- Fixed a map glitch in Returners' Hideout which kept you from opening the hidden White Cape chest from the south (thanks, Tzepish!)
- Fixed several invisible chests on the Phantom Train in Sabin's scenario (thanks, Tzepish and Lenophis!)
- Made reachable a previously unreachable treasure at the beginning of the game in Narshe (thanks, Dragonsbrethren!)
Conflicts between patches that have been found:
Novalia Spirit's Naming Shadow fix breaks the camera starting in the tunnel to the Lete River raft scene and persisting after that. FIXED IN PATCH VERSION 1.1 Novalia Spirit's Vanishing Magicite Object patch breaks the game right after the end of Terra's flashback. The magicite stays where Locke was standing, and the game just freezes with the music still playing before Setzer can pimp his airship. FIXED IN PATCH VERSION 1.1 Lenophis' Economizer and Gold Hairpin tweak v0.1 conflicts with the ordered list data in assassin's Alphabetical Rage patch v0.45, causing duplicate Rage entries to occur in both the Rage Skill and battle menus. It gets progressively worse as you obtain Rages...by the time I stopped, I had 20 Rages with some occupying 2 and 3 spaces. FIXED IN PATCH VERSION 1.0 Lenophis' Ignore Defense Ignoring Safe and Shell fix conflicting with everything under the sun. FIXED IN PATCH VERSION 1.E Lenophis' Esper Battle Menu fix 1.0 patch causes the Row battle menu window to stay drawn after being selected when using the Short (configurable) window option. FIX FOUND BY TheNattak
- Novalia Spirit's Shadow/Chupon Colosseum fix will only work so long as Chupon's name remains shorter than Shadow's name. If you change either so that Chupon's name is longer than Shadow's, however much longer Chupon's name is will appear at the end of Shadow's name.
- Novalia Spirit's The Sealed Door Fix 1.0 patch breaks the interior maps of WoB Jidoor.
MasterZED's FC05 patch will not allow the Blitz tutorial code to activate during the Vargas battle. FIX FOUND BY C.V. Reynolds
- Imzogelmo's Gogo Can't Uncurse the Cursed Shield fix v0.9 causes Paladin Shields to be inserted randomly into character inventories.
- MasterZED's Controllable Umaro patch does not work, but the hack was not finished and has instructions to follow after the patch is applied, so this is not completely confirmed. (NOT INCLUDED IN THIS MOD)
- Imzogelmo's Not Scary Enough...NEXT! patch causes FF6 Improvement to reset when a flawless victory is achieved. (NOT INCLUDED IN THIS MOD)
- Lenophis' Summon This! patch does not work with this mod - no details provided as to what happens. (NOT INCLUDED IN THIS MOD)
The latest version of the patch is 1.07, and can be found here
Here are some screenshots of the new changes: