Author Topic: Gaming Progress Thread  (Read 71726 times)

Grimoire LD

• FF4 Hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Progress Thread
« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »
By chance did you ever play the SNES version of Curse of the Sinistrals? It's... not as good as everyone claims. There's a lot of things I did not like about it. My favorite character in the game is Tia but she disappears halfway through the game when she realizes she had lost Maxim's affections and doesn't reappear until the ending and I feel that Artea was thrown into the end game without much build up. I do love both of the games though. The SNES version is stupidly easy though but "For the Hero" is still one of the best songs to grace any game.

The tale of a wavering Sinistral in Iris was a neat idea and it's very nice to see that build up to the original Lufia.

Final Fantasy XII is a Vastly underrated game, excellent story, great characters, vast arrays of play styles that only become greater with Zodiac Job System (HD Remake for America! Make it happen Square-Enix!)

By chance have you played Final Fantasy Tactics? That's the... well I guess you can say "sequel" to FFXII (Despite it coming out nearly a full decade before FFXII). It takes place roughly 1,500 years after Final Fantasy XII after a world changing event called the "Cataclysm" occurred which wiped out all other races except Hume. However that's all backstory There are a few allusions to FFXII (FFXII is referred to as the "Golden Age" where "Airships flew across the sky") and the big baddies have some Deep relation to FFXII (If you read the bestiary notes on *certain* boss monsters then you'll better understand their motivations.)

If you loved XII's story of political intrigue, FFT's has one just as deep and rewarding (but a bit more harrowing) and the plot eventually goes down a Da Vinci Code-esque path. (A few years before the Da Vinci Code was released, haha!)

vivify93

• Liquid Flame
  • White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »
Well, since they're so different, I consider Rise of the Sinistrals and Curse of the Sinistrals as two separate, unrelated games entirely. I do like Rise, and yeah, Artea just seems "thrown in" for the sake of being there as he was one of the four heroes of Fortress of Doom, but I think he gets a much, much better run in Curse. Also, Tia is badass. She's my favorite character in Rise and Curse, and I was so, so happy she finally ended up with Dekar. I've loved that pairing since my childhood, man.

I finished FFT on the PS1 years and years ago, actually. My parents got it for me for Christmas back in '03 / '04, and I unfortunately don't own it anymore. I do own WotL since '11, and playing through it after so long is a nice treat--also the first time I've played FFT without outside cheating or abusing the JP glitch--but for the time being I'm just working on my FFIV project. :happy: I hope I'll be able to get back to it after, but when I'm done beta testing that, I don't know what I'll be going to next.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:13:44 AM by vivify93 »
Hacking is hard. :sad:

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:52 AM »
Final Fantasy X International (PS2)

My first play of this version! :childish: I have been streaming almost all of my FFX with the very grindy parts being exceptions. I accidentally skipped the destruction sphere treasure in Besaid, so I had to go through Dark Valefor just to get it, thus Anima (which I just did last night).

119 bugs fixed and counting.

vivify93

• Liquid Flame
  • White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:19 PM »
So I've been playing some of Final Fantasy II: Demonic Pandemonium lately, and... I'm not quite wondering why the game was made so broken?

Maria, for example, is constantly doing 390+ damage to monsters with her Ice LV2. Even Guy is doing at least 100-150 damage with Fire LV1, and his Intellect rating is, like, 5. Minh's Holy LV2 doesn't help things here, considering it does a whopping 600 damage for 2 MP a pop.

I can't help but feel this would be counteracted if the equipment weights (INT/Soul penalties) were left in, perhaps reduced some.

:edit: Well, we're not getting Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Eternal Punishment for PSP. But the PS1 version, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, is being released on the PSN. So now I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin. I don't like the load times at all, but I do love the English voice acting.

:edit: The load times were a result of me using a CSO instead of an ISO, which is weird, since CSO format has never driven me wrong before. Anyway, I got an actual PS1 copy of Eternal Punishment, so I'm playing Innocent Sin, so I can move on to Eternal Punishment, and Metroid with the Metroid + Saving mod for now. I just got to Norfair, and man, I'm getting my ass kicked. I think Samus needs new armor.

:edit: Taking a break from Metroid for now. I beat SMT: Persona 2 - Innocent Sin. Working on Persona 2: Eternal Punishment now. I bought a Vita and a copy of Persona 4 Golden. I also bought, legitimately bought, digital copies of SMT: Persona, SMT: P2 - IS, and SMT: Persona 3 Portable.

I'm 51 hours into Eternal Punishment. I had 40 hours at the end of Innocent Sin, meaning on Persona 2 alone, I've spent 91 hours. I'm near the end of P2: EP, fortunately.

To be honest, I'm kind of wary about starting P3P. I loved P1, and really liked P2: IS, and P2: EP is decent as well. Since I liked the first two games, I'm not so sure I'll like the one that everyone lauded back before P4 got so popular. We'll see, I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:32:56 PM by vivify93 »

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2013, 01:49:48 PM »
Oh hey, I'm running the Four Job Fiesta:

http://www.letsplaying.com/FF5FF/players.php?player=Dragonsbrethren

As you can see there, so far I've gotten two of the best jobs and Beastmaster, which I'm not sure about, but hey, it's not Geomancer. I'm actually a little disappointed that I got Black Mage since that's what I had in my practice run. Glad I didn't get Berserker again, though. It's not that the job is hard at all, it's just incredibly boring and it takes forever to get Equip Axes (which my party didn't even need).

Outside the Library of the Ancients right now. Nothing really notable has happened so far, unless you count killing Magissa before Forza shows up without breaking the Frost Rod. I'm playing on my cart on my DS, so I can't post screenshots or anything.

Madsiur

• Magissa & Forza
  • FF6AE coder
    • View Profile
    • Madsiur's Lair
« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2013, 09:53:04 PM »
I am slowing doing a playthrough of FF6:Brave New Wold, a FF3us hack. The authors of this hack spent 2 years working on it and  numerous things were changed in it, like restricting certain espers to certain characters, damage formulas tweaked (to take stamina into account I think) and many other ASM changes. I have put the hack readme.txt as an attachment.

FF6: Brave New world YT playlist

Last video game I finished was a LLNMG run of FF6A and that was 2 years ago, so hopefully I will finish this new hack playthrough.

vivify93

• Liquid Flame
  • White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »
My suspicions were correct; I hate Persona 3 and Persona 4. Ugh. At least I tried them. I recently beat the Chrysler Building of Parasite Eve, got the good ending in Parasite Eve II, and finished my play-through of The 3rd Birthday on Hard mode. Next up is Deadly...

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2013, 05:34:27 PM »
Man, I'm having no luck with the crystals. No matter what I do, one of the three vulnerable to fire always slips its spell in before I kill it, after taking out the first two flawlessly. This on its own wouldn't be so bad, but every time you lose this battle you have to watch that whole damn forest fire sequence again, which lags to hell on the GBA version. It just saps your motivation to actually try doing it again. Why is there no save point after that interactive cutscene? This game has too many "stand around and do nothing till the music cycles" sequences.
 :lame:

If you want to get some enjoyment out of the FJF without playing, I'd definitely recommend watching Dacid's stream the next time it goes live:

http://www.twitch.tv/dacidbro/c/2459581

Guy's doing a blind playthrough of the game with natural rules and no mages. So much fun watching someone play it for the first time.

:edit:

Alright, finally got past them. I never want to see that scene again, though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:23:29 PM by Dragonsbrethren »

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2013, 04:50:10 PM »
Got up to the final dungeon, can't beat Necrophobe, so Gilgamesh gets to live. :childish:

Unfortunately I also can't beat Neo Exdeath since I get utterly obliterated by Almagest. So I guess I'm stuck grinding levels. :lame:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:06:26 AM by Dragonsbrethren »

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #204 on: July 22, 2013, 11:43:05 PM »
Oh, mighty Omega slayer...wait, did you cheat? :tongue:

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »
Is stopping the bastard from moving outside of one lucky turn with two !Calms each round cheating? Faris was using Thundaga Sword Dance, Krile was bouncing Thundagas off herself (Reflect Ring).

Also I forgot to post my Shinryu shot here:

Berserked him with the Wonder Wand, everyone wore Elven Mantles or the Mirage Vest in Butts's case. Butts cheated by passing his whip between hands after getting attacked. Mantles worked surprisingly well. Best part is I forgot to by Phoenix Downs and only had one in my inventory. Revived Faris, couldn't revive Krile, two deaths against a Berserk Shinryu. :cycle:

And since I completely forgot to do the recap post I intended to, my problem with Neo Exdeath was worrying about Almagest. That part of him can be turned to stone, and I could use Break Sword, so it was a complete non-issue. The part that was really kicking my ass, in a much less spectacular way, was the front piece that uses Vacuum Wave. That's the attack that was weakening me to the point Almagest was a threat. Once I focused that down, the fight was incredibly simple - got luck with Grand Cross never giving me any annoying statuses the Ribbon couldn't prevent, and the back section can be insta-killed with Odin summoned from the Magic Lamp. Krile went down in the one turn the back piece got in after the others were dead before I summoned Odin.

Overall, this party was probably pretty close to Easy Mode. Black Mage and Dancer have incredible damage output (I didn't even grind the Chicken Knife for the Dancer; you don't need it), Mystic Knight is great for anything vulnerable to statuses, and Beastmaster, while it was unsung, probably has a lot of potential I missed because I was just Firagaing everything to death. !Calm was the only way I could bring down Omega with this party, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:37:22 PM by Dragonsbrethren »

Deathlike2

• FF4 R&D Master
  • I'm looking at you, bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »
I feel like I've disappeared from this thread... but just a few things I'd prefer to add.

The Music in Lufia and Lufia 2 are excellent. Still, I wonder what the possible alternate ending in Lufia 2 would have been (but, it's been hinted before if you dig around towards the end game part). It hints Selan's actual existence/purpose in the game.

With regards to FF5, I prefer to beat Omega down with "3 Bards" and a Thundaga powered X-Attack (or whatever the 4x hit is called). Free "Stop" with free haste, regen, and hero song can't go wrong.

I overgrind a lot, but I don't actually master all the classes (not worth it), so beating Exdeath tends to come with overkill for me (Rune Bell powered "mages", Aegis Shields for all, 4 Protect Rings) and I love Blue Magic (even though I like use like 2 spells primarily).

Shinryu... I usually go "full Dragoon" on it, with the Dragoon/Wyvern Lance. It's what "Kain" would have wanted. You would be surprised how nice Diamond equipment combine nicely with the Coral Ring.

So anyways, I've been playing FF7, killing everything I see. I've learned something new, but not quite new (I assume the FF7 community is aware of this).

Beating the crap out of Ruby Weapon is easy with the fun "trick" involving starting to dead characters, so you allow him to change into a different mode. Abusing him with W-Summon+Master Summon is pretty much over (Hades+KOTR). I'm not entirely a fan of the Dazers trick unless you combine W-Item (Dazers+Megalixir or some combo to stay productive while the monster is trying to break out, but not). I do like leading off with Hades+Phoenix...

Also, I think the Emerald Weapon has some issues trying to "counter" a W-Summon based KOTR based attack. It doesn't seem to react or respond properly to them (I think there's a specific counter to the use of the spell?).

What I learned recently was interesting...

HP (and MP) Absorb Materia operate dramatically different when it comes to physical or magical attacks... specifically with Mime.

You can attach those materia to Mime or the Master Command Materia, but it's kinda productive ONLY if they use physical attacks as part of their action. If they attempt to use magic or summon, the properties of HP Absorb Materia does not carry over. Here's what gets interesting...

If you attach the Materia to the spells themselves or the Magic/Summon versions... things become interesting. What I did was attach them to the KOTR summon (HP Absorb for the Master Summon, MP Absorb to the KOTR Materia). What happened was that the Mime command "inherits" the properties of support materia that the originating user it is miming. So, if/when I decide to use dual KOTR via W-Summon vs Emerald Weapon, not only that KOTR is summoned twiced (as expected), but HP+MP Absorb is applied to those that are Miming the original command! It doesn't require HP or MP Absorb to be mastered (or have multiple copies for that matter) which allows you to benefit as long as you can attach as many Support Materia as to the original materia it is attached to (the KOTR materia - although, getting 500k AP to spawn another KOTR materia is a pain in the arse).

I've seen this effect work with MP Turbo as well (was used vs the Ruby Weapon) and I suspect it would work with Quadra Magic as well (although, not with KOTR, for obvious reasons).

AFAIK the effect of Steal as Well and Added Cut can be Mimed as well. I'm not what other support materia can be mimed, but I think in theory all of them can.

Anyways, abusing Emerald Weapon with dual KOTR w/o getting that materia counter-attack counter at < :10 of the battle left was great (didn't need to bring that silly Underwater Materia).

One more thing... FF5's Beast Tamer is actually very good for mages. Control is useful, but not as refined as the FF6/FF7 versions... but the most important skill you gain from it is Equip Whips. It allows them to keep fairly good strength for back row compatible weapons that cause paralysis. It's hard to say bad things about it. Although, I would prefer to put Barefisted on them early on for consistent usefulness.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:47:48 PM by Deathlike2 »
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack Download Latest: v1.48

Video Demos: #1 #2 #3

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2014, 08:53:58 AM »
I'm not entirely a fan of the Dazers trick unless you combine W-Item (Dazers+Megalixir or some combo to stay productive while the monster is trying to break out, but not). I do like leading off with Hades+Phoenix...
It's no trick. He's weak to being paralyzed, which Hades and the Dazers do. Perhaps I should show you how much you could beat him down? Turns out I already have a video of Ruby already. :tongue:

I'll edit later with games I've been playing, hooray 14 hours of work...

Deathlike2

• FF4 R&D Master
  • I'm looking at you, bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
I'm not entirely a fan of the Dazers trick unless you combine W-Item (Dazers+Megalixir or some combo to stay productive while the monster is trying to break out, but not). I do like leading off with Hades+Phoenix...
It's no trick. He's weak to being paralyzed, which Hades and the Dazers do. Perhaps I should show you how much you could beat him down? Turns out I already have a video of Ruby already. :tongue:

I'll edit later with games I've been playing, hooray 14 hours of work...

Yes, I remember seeing it.

It's a weakness, but I always prefer a weakness I can expose to be affected 100% of the time...
Working on the next Yet To Be Named FF4 "Hardtype" Hack Download Latest: v1.48

Video Demos: #1 #2 #3

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2014, 11:06:12 AM »
Hades and Dazers never miss, or perhaps I'm misinterpreting your statement?