Author Topic: Gaming Progress Thread  (Read 71727 times)

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
Re: Gaming Progress Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2009, 08:49:58 AM »
Final Fantasy (NES)

Finally getting somewhere. Finished the marsh cave and did everything needed to get the mystic key, then raided all of the treasure chests I could.

:edit:

Made my first run into the earth cave to get the treasures from the first floor. Almost made it to the vampire on the my second trip, but got repeatedly attacked by four wizard formations and couldn't make it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:45:00 AM by Dragonsbrethren »

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »
Doom64 (PC)

It's been a while since I posted an update. I finally finished this from the beginning. I think it's the only Doom game that stayed consistently high quality over the entire level set.

darkmage

• Phantom Train
  • Skating the Razor
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »
As far as Doom goes, I pulled the DOOM WAD files from my old disc and am using Doomsday. It takes the old maps and spruces them up a little, and you can find 3D packs for the monsters and items. It's pretty nice.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2009, 06:26:37 PM »
Doomsday and this computer don't get along. It runs terribly, even with all of its flashiness turned off. It actually ran better on my laptop with worse specs. I've tried the latest official release, the betas, and it's all the same. No idea why. Anyway, playing on a port doesn't make up for the fact that there are just a lot of poor-playing maps in the original games. I think episode 1 of the original Doom has the best maps in the series, and there are a handful of good ones in the other episodes and the whole of Doom 2. I haven't played Evilution or Plutonia enough to really rate their maps.

darkmage

• Phantom Train
  • Skating the Razor
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2009, 06:47:23 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree with you on the quality of the maps themselves. Plutonia had a few decent maps, but overall I skipped Doom 2 and Evilution. I didn't really feel the need to get a double-barrel shotgun and play crappy maps. I like the original Heretic better, anyway.

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2009, 06:42:23 AM »
Speaking of Doom, in celebration of its 16th birthday, I've been playing through every DOS version in DOSBox. Up to 1.666 shareware right now (been playing episode 1 in the shareware version, so I can watch the opening demos, then 2 and 3 in registered), and I also started 1.666 of Doom 2. Unfortunately, I doubt my motivation will hold out to actually play through every version of Doom 2, since I've only completed the game start-to-finished maybe...four times, max.

bond697

• FF4 Archivist
  • is NOT a spoony bard!
    • View Profile
    • The FF4 Reference Book
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2009, 12:21:41 AM »
so i've started playing through sd snatcher for the msx.  bluemsx is a pretty incredible emulator and has most every feature i could want.

anyway, it's a lot of fun so far.  i'm still near the beginning at the warehouse.  jean-jack jan-jack just died.
The FF4 Reference Book - Now with new hosting!

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2009, 04:43:55 AM »
Warriors Orochi 2 (PS2)

This is the only one I'm listing, since I've played far too many games over the last two months. Anyway, I found myself in the mood for the perfect time killer. Main goal is to unlock the few remaining Dream Mode levels (no idea how) and then beat them all. I've currently beaten all of the ones I've unlocked, but I still have to beat them all on all difficulties. :whoa: Yes, that is as hard and annoying as it sounds. Not as hard as the first game, but still pretty hard.

119 bugs fixed and counting.

I.S.T.

• i doesnt no how 2 blits
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2009, 01:56:22 PM »
 :wtf: is a Sengoku? I don't want Goku's help, Cell is already dead. Why aren't these things in English? :bah:

I.S.T.

• i doesnt no how 2 blits
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »
samurai, in other words.

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2009, 05:32:59 PM »
G'ah, one of them needs all of the items. That damn Dragon's Spleen is impossible to get. :sad:

And I managed to get it. The walkthru's giving the strategy for this item were misleading and a bit off. :bah:

Anyway...

Warriors Orochi 2 (PS2)

I'm now doing the dubious task of raising proficiency of all 93 characters, and I still have to get one yet. :eek: Koei was really evil with proficiency in this game, I liked it better in the first one. :bah: At least they left you with a map where you could raise it 5 levels each go, but damn it's still annoying (max proficiency is 50, btw).

:edit: again

Here's the breakdown of the proficiencies, starting with Shu:
Zhao Yun - 10, Guan Yu - 19, Zhang Fei - 3, Zhuge Liang - 7, Liu Bei - 50, Ma Chao - 10, Huang Zhong - 4, Jiang Wei - 3, Wei Yan - 3, Pang Tong - 4, Yue Ying - 3, Guan Ping - 12, Xing Cai - 5

Wei:
Xiahou Dun - 50, Dian Wei - 7, Xu Zhu - 4, Cao Cao - 50, Xiahou Yuan - 23, Zhang Liao - 25, Sima Yi - 3, Xu Huang - 4, Zhang He - 4, Zhen Ji - 25, Cao Ren - 2, Cao Pi - 7, Pang De - 4

Wu:
Zhou Yun - 5, Lu Xun - 4, Taishi Ci - 50, Sun Shang Xiang - 18, Sun Jian - 9, Sun Quan - 50, Lu Meng - 3, Gan Ning - 22, Huang Gai - 21, Sun Ce - 8, Da Qiao - 3, Xa Qiao - 2, Zhou Tai - 50, Ling Tong - 3

"Other" 1:
Diao Chan - 5, Lu Bu - 12, Dong Zhuo - 2, Yuan Shao - 3, Zhang Jiao - 9, Meng Huo - 4, Zhu Rong - 50, Zuo Ci - 50

"Other" 2:
Orochi - 36, Da Ji - 50, Taigong Wang - 3, Sun Wukong - 50, Fu Xi - 21, Nu Wa - 50, Yoshitsune Minamoto - 50, Kiyomori Taira - 3, Himiko - 50

Samurai 1:
Yukimura Sanada - 4, Keiji Maeda - 17, Nobunaga Oda - 50, Mitsuhide Akechi - 9, Goemon Ishikawa - 7, Kenshin Uesugi - 3, Oichi - 3, Okuni - 3, Kunoichi - 7, Magoichi Saika - 4, Shingen Takeda - 5, Masamune Date - 4

Samurai 2:
No - 3, Hanzo Hattori - 3, Ranmaru Mori - 19, Hideyoshi Toyotomi - 50, Yoshimoto Imagawa - 2, Tadakatsu Honda - 20, Ina - 50, Ieyasu Tokugawa - 50, Mitsunari Ishida - 24, Nagamasa Azai - 3, Sakon Shima - 50

Samurai 3:
Yoshihiro Shimazu - 4, Ginchiyo Tachibana - 19, Kanetsugu Naoe - 2, Nene - 9, Kotaro Fuma - 4, Musashi Miyamoto - 22, Toshiie Maeda (Vegeta!) - 50, Motochika Chosokabe - 35, Gracia - 5, Kojiro Sasaki - 3, Katsui Shibata - 2

To unlock this level, you need 2730 total proficiency, and this total is still 1200 short... :sad:

:edit: again

I got a few more levels, but put the game down again. On to bigger and brighter things!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC)

I'm not very far right now. I've been to the dark world, and got the space jump boots. I saved and fought Dark Samus...and promptly got my ass handed to me. :isuck: I have 2 energy tanks and 10 missiles.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:22:42 PM by Lenophis »

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2009, 10:01:58 AM »
I'm thinking you should at least have more missiles by that point, but I'm not really sure, it's been a while. Keep in mind that I'm the person who somehow managed to miss all but two energy tanks before fighting the Spider Guardian (about halfway through the game, maybe more). Of course I'm also the person who killed it with three energy tanks and didn't even need one, because I didn't take any damage...that may have affected how much I sought them out

Anyway, missiles don't really matter. From what I remember, the charge beam is far more useful there, because she usually will deflect your missiles. Use the pillars for cover during the first half of the fight, and once they're destroyed, I think you can just dash out of the way of most of the attacks. I should probably fire up my copy and fight this one again.

Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth (Wii)

Figures, I've been waiting for this one, checking every Monday, and it was never up. This week I figured I wouldn't even bother checking, and it came out. This is a nice little tribute to the classic Castlevania games (though it seems to have very little in common with the one it's named after, thankfully). I've only managed to get up to stage 3 so far. I unlocked the ability to not jump backwards, which is amusing, of course I turned it on right away. There is a key subweapon which can be used to unlock alternate paths (no hidden stages like Rondo, not yet, anyway). The game saves every time you return to the title, but you need to start it over from the beginning each time, like the originals. I actually really like that, since I found a ton of stuff in the first to stages that I had missed the first time. Pretty nice game, overall, I'm playing on normal mode and it's about as hard as the original Castlevania. There is also an easy and hard mode, and you can choose your starting lives, so no one should be complaining about this game's difficulty. The graphics have an odd style to them, they're not bad, but they different than what I'm used to from the series (except for the reused Rondo sprites - somehow, with a completely different sprite style, they still got away with using a few).

Lenophis

• Forum Overlord
  • I sad
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2009, 10:22:22 PM »
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC)

Ok, so far I have some gripes. The names of some of these bosses screams a loud "UNCREATIVE" in my face. :shadow: Boost guardian? Bomb guardian? Why not go all the way and say "end boss?" Seriously, this is ridiculous.

But while we're on the Boost Guardian, damn he was tough. Wound up fighting that thing 8 or 9 times. I fought it with 3 tanks, and most of the time I got it down to one hit before it would die. I would've survived most of those attempts with 4 tanks.

I just got the grapple beam, I have 5 tanks, 70 missiles, and 100 potential of light and dark ammo. The loading screen says 32% and 6:20 elapsed. It took me forever to get the seeker launcher because the map lies to me. I actually had to use a walkthru to find my way into the place. :isuck:

Dragonsbrethren

• Forum Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2009, 09:24:09 AM »
But while we're on the Boost Guardian, damn he was tough. Wound up fighting that thing 8 or 9 times. I fought it with 3 tanks, and most of the time I got it down to one hit before it would die. I would've survived most of those attempts with 4 tanks.
Don't know if you realized it or not, but you can hit it while it's in its puddle form, which allows you to (if you're really good) kill it before it can even go into boost ball form. You just need to hit it with as many charged Light Beam shots as possible. You can't lock onto the puddle though, you need to aim manually.

About the X Guardian names, I think that was done because those bosses are just normal enemies that have your abilities. A Sanddigger, two Warrior Ing, and a Pillbug to be precise. Same thing with simply appending Dark onto most of the possessed creatures. Not saying they're the best names ever, but they probably didn't think it was worth giving them unique names, since they're not supposed to be unique enemies exactly.

At the rate you're going, you've already encountered Dark Pirate Commandos, and you have another Dark Samus fight coming up. Echoes isn't always black and white; try using the Intangler (charged Dark Beam) on them. Any strong enemy in Dark Aether, actually. A lot of them can be stopped by it, and Dark Samus takes a ton of damage from it compared to other weapons. That won't be the case with all enemies, but the Dark Beam, if you hadn't guessed from looks alone, is Echoes' Ice Beam. You freeze them with the Intangler, then hit them with missiles or Light Beam shots.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:14:31 PM by Dragonsbrethren »